"We've been trained to kill Jedi/Sith"

xordevoreaux

Several instances -- I just hit another one on the Sith Warrior class story -- my character is told by aggressive NPCs that "We've been trained to kill Sith!" (or Jedi depending on the situation).

1. The only way we're advancing through our class story is to kill the braggarts.

2. Why didn't the pubs and imps just send a couple of guys to kill the emperor on Zakuul if they're so freaking trained?

I think the convo would have gone better this way:

NPC: We've been trained to kill Sith! Kill the Sith, men!

ME: Pardon me, but, have you actually killed a Sith before?

NPC: Erm, no, erm, we've just been trained.

ME: I see.

or:

NPC: I'm not afraid of you, I've killed Jedi before! Kill the Jedi, men!

ME: Exactly what sort of Jedi have you killed before?

NPC: Erm, he called himself an initiate.

ME: I see.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Glorified player ego boosting. It's not only about trained to kill Jedi/Sith. There are several instances where an enemy is said to be powerful killing everyone until the player comes along. The Eshka on Belsavis are scary beasts slaughtering everyone. The player mows them down. The pirate leader on Hoth is immortal who kills everyone who faces him. The PC kills him. It's all an excuse as to why the player has to be the one to do the Encounter. Edited by Hadsil

The pirate leader on Hoth is immortal who kills everyone who faces him. The PC kills him.

That's not quite how that one goes (presuming you're talking about the Consular story):

The pirate leader is dangerous because he fights hard and *does* take down some fraction of Iresso's troops, but what really gets those troops in a tizzy is that he doesn't die when they kill him, so they end up fighting him again. What the PC does is find out *how* the guy manages that, and exploit the weakness that knowledge creates.

That's not quite how that one goes (presuming you're talking about the Consular story):

The pirate leader is dangerous because he fights hard and *does* take down some fraction of Iresso's troops, but what really gets those troops in a tizzy is that he doesn't die when they kill him, so they end up fighting him again. What the PC does is find out *how* the guy manages that, and exploit the weakness that knowledge creates.

I'm talking about the Hoth planet story.

We get a conversation on Nar Shaddaa during the SI story very much like what you describe

Going to retrieve Kallig's lightsaber, you are directed to a card cheat who has it, defended by a group of mercenaries that "make the Sith look like school teachers" (they don't seem to be as enthusiastic though)

You can take them out of course, but you can also just respond "walk away boys and no one needs to get hurt" (which the do)

We get a conversation on Nar Shaddaa during the SI story very much like what you describe

Going to retrieve Kallig's lightsaber, you are directed to a card cheat who has it, defended by a group of mercenaries that "make the Sith look like school teachers" (they don't seem to be as enthusiastic though)

You can take them out of course, but you can also just respond "walk away boys and no one needs to get hurt" (which the do)

I think it's heavily implied that in this case, the guy who hired the mercenaries was just talking out of his ***. The mercenaries themselves are suggested to just be regular guys who are well aware fighting a Sith is a suicide mission.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

I think it's heavily implied that in this case, the guy who hired the mercenaries was just talking out of his ***. The mercenaries themselves are suggested to just be regular guys who are well aware fighting a Sith is a suicide mission.

He was, but ...

It's a repeated theme that all the Jedi and Sith characters are exceptionally powerful, and if the "anti-Sith" (or anti-Jedi, as appropriate) training is good for "ordinary" Sith and Jedi, it won't be worth spit against the player character.

But also...

One might also say the same about a certain backstabbing Sith Warrior companion, who sets you up with those droids perfectly programmed to fight *you*. He failed to take into account just how *strong* the SW is, even though you warned him way back when (on Balmorra, ffs) to, if anything, overestimate your strength.

He was, but ...

It's a repeated theme that all the Jedi and Sith characters are exceptionally powerful, and if the "anti-Sith" (or anti-Jedi, as appropriate) training is good for "ordinary" Sith and Jedi, it won't be worth spit against the player character.

But also...

One might also say the same about a certain backstabbing Sith Warrior companion, who sets you up with those droids perfectly programmed to fight *you*. He failed to take into account just how *strong* the SW is, even though you warned him way back when (on Balmorra, ffs) to, if anything, overestimate your strength.

Let me emphasize the "in this case" part of my post. I am well aware that are otherwise plenty of occasions in the game where the people you fight are supposed to be legitimate Jedi/Sith killers.