Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Change to Cartel Color Crystals and Weapon Tunings with Legacy Weapons

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Change to Cartel Color Crystals and Weapon Tunings with Legacy Weapons
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sumlina's Avatar


Sumlina
07.11.2017 , 05:08 PM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Keith, the thing is, you fixed a "loophole" that had been around for 4 years, which is a feature after that long. You've, once again, made this game more alt unfriendly.

I don't care about the Tunings... The crystals are an issue though. The fact that they unlock in collections should have been chalked up to a learning experience for you, or do what you did for Tunings only... Including crystals was just absurd and makes the little things annoying about this game just pile up.

Revert this change for crystals... They're junk CM items anyway... Meet your customers half way... It's only reasonable.
Exactly. Crystals have stats we have to have. Tunings aren't a requirement for gearing.

IDFswtor's Avatar


IDFswtor
07.11.2017 , 05:09 PM | #242
I use only legacy weapons. And i dont need to get crystals out of legacy weapon.
So why dont make crystal or tuning destruct if it gets out of weapon?
No one will be able to move it trough legacy bank or mail to other chars.

Danery's Avatar


Danery
07.11.2017 , 05:10 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Letís review todayís Crystals and Weapon Tuning change and what caused it. With Patch 5.2.2, we made a change so everyone could take advantage of the Weapon Tunings across their account. We did that by adding them into Collections. This is the same process we use for Flairs, Armor Sets, Mounts, Crystals, Weapons, Pets, and more. This appeared to be a very welcomed change, but over the past month we found out players were subverting the collection system by using an exploit related to Legacy Weapons. Sure, you can argue itís been that way for a long time, but Weapon Tunings were new and being able to use them across your entire account is a cool benefit.

What happened is some players would add the Tuning to a legacy weapon, send to an Alt, remove it on that Alt, re-add it to the weapon, which would then incorrectly unlock it in Collections on that toon. They would then send that weapon to all of their toons and perform the same process. Thus circumventing the entire collection system and obtaining Weapon Tunings for their legacy without having to pay for it. As everyone has pointed out, Crystals sold via the Cartel Market could also be collection unlocked this way, and in fact, as players have clearly stated in this thread, theyíve been doing that for a very long time.

We did not impact the ability to use Crystals and Tunings in Legacy Weapons and we did not prevent you transferring mods, hilts, barrels, augments, or enhancements, through your legacy weapons (which I do all the time). This change did create a situation for all of us who are using Collections properly where there is an added step (and credit cost) to moving weapons. Our plan with Patch 5.4 in August is to resolve this new issue by allowing Collection Unlocked Crystals and Tunings to be transferred using your legacy weapons as you did previously (no cost/no removing of the items first).

As most of you already know, we do not communicate details about exploits and typically only acknowledge their existence after a fix has been deployed. In this case, we included it with our Patch Notes yesterday so you knew ahead of time what we were doing today. I also know this makes some of you unhappy, but the loophole needed to be closed and we did that in todayís patch.

---Keith
So Eric Musco lied several years ago when he said it wasnt an exploit? I am sorry but you have something we were specifically told wasnt an exploit, so if you are gonna change that definition and suddenly classify it as an exploit yea i think that deserves a much different response than someone finding a new bug in the game and exploiting it for an unfair advantage over other players.
This is my Refer a Friend Link Here is what you get

MotherCrusher's Avatar


MotherCrusher
07.11.2017 , 05:11 PM | #244
Quote: Originally Posted by IDFswtor View Post
I use only legacy weapons. And i dont need to get crystals out of legacy weapon.
So why dont make crystal or tuning destruct if it gets out of weapon?
No one will be able to move it trough legacy bank or mail to other chars.
basically cripple anyone using non-CM crystals? no thank you. i make plenty of money by crafting crystals, i do not want my money income crippled by this.
http://www.swtor.com/r/yh6KMd <- click for 7 days of free sub and other goodies!

Jerba's Avatar


Jerba
07.11.2017 , 05:11 PM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Our plan with Patch 5.4 in August is to resolve this new issue by allowing Collection Unlocked Crystals and Tunings to be transferred using your legacy weapons as you did previously (no cost/no removing of the items first).
Thanks, Keith! While I wish this hadn't happened in the first place (and I wonder why no developer saw this coming), and I wish we had received a reply yesterday already (even if it's just "thanks for the feedback, we'll put out a reply tomorrow"), it is great that you are fixing the issue so we can once again use legacy weapons with any crystals and tunings.

In the end, this still means that we can no longer transfer crystals like we used to for years, but I trust that this wasn't your plan all along (overshadowing that controversy by creating an even bigger controversy) and that it was a real oversight.

Estelindis's Avatar


Estelindis
07.11.2017 , 05:13 PM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Our plan with Patch 5.4 in August is to resolve this new issue by allowing Collection Unlocked Crystals and Tunings to be transferred using your legacy weapons as you did previously (no cost/no removing of the items first).
Most important part of the post. Thanks for this, Keith. Good to know that it's only a temporary problem.

I do think it's unfair to say that people's previous use of cartel modifications with legacy weapons was an exploit, as we clearly had it on record that Bioware did not consider it an exploit.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...

Rankyn's Avatar


Rankyn
07.11.2017 , 05:14 PM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
What happened is some players would add the Tuning to a legacy weapon, send to an Alt, remove it on that Alt, re-add it to the weapon, which would then incorrectly unlock it in Collections on that toon.
See, the real problem here is that you should have anticipated this.
WE certainly knew this is how it worked, why didn't y'all?

Now, the *PROPER* fix for the problem is to prevent the free unlock from all except the character that did it first.
Then everyone who was using the system as intended gets to be happy, and the only ones left unhappy are the ones who were circumventing the account unlock system.
Keep up to date with game events at
SWTORCalendar.com

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
07.11.2017 , 05:15 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Letís review todayís Crystals and Weapon Tuning change and what caused it. With Patch 5.2.2, we made a change so everyone could take advantage of the Weapon Tunings across their account. We did that by adding them into Collections. This is the same process we use for Flairs, Armor Sets, Mounts, Crystals, Weapons, Pets, and more. This appeared to be a very welcomed change, but over the past month we found out players were subverting the collection system by using an exploit related to Legacy Weapons. Sure, you can argue itís been that way for a long time, but Weapon Tunings were new and being able to use them across your entire account is a cool benefit.

What happened is some players would add the Tuning to a legacy weapon, send to an Alt, remove it on that Alt, re-add it to the weapon, which would then incorrectly unlock it in Collections on that toon. They would then send that weapon to all of their toons and perform the same process. Thus circumventing the entire collection system and obtaining Weapon Tunings for their legacy without having to pay for it. As everyone has pointed out, Crystals sold via the Cartel Market could also be collection unlocked this way, and in fact, as players have clearly stated in this thread, theyíve been doing that for a very long time.

We did not impact the ability to use Crystals and Tunings in Legacy Weapons and we did not prevent you transferring mods, hilts, barrels, augments, or enhancements, through your legacy weapons (which I do all the time). This change did create a situation for all of us who are using Collections properly where there is an added step (and credit cost) to moving weapons. Our plan with Patch 5.4 in August is to resolve this new issue by allowing Collection Unlocked Crystals and Tunings to be transferred using your legacy weapons as you did previously (no cost/no removing of the items first).

As most of you already know, we do not communicate details about exploits and typically only acknowledge their existence after a fix has been deployed. In this case, we included it with our Patch Notes yesterday so you knew ahead of time what we were doing today. I also know this makes some of you unhappy, but the loophole needed to be closed and we did that in todayís patch.

---Keith
...except that Eric Musco told us years ago that transferring CM crystals through legacy gear was explicitly NOT an exploit. So this really makes it sound like you've decided to call it an exploit only now that something more expensive to unlock (weapon tunings) has come around. The only motivation seems to be squeezing more RL money out of players.

I'm very disappointed in this decision, Keith. Why couldn't you have only treated tunings as un-tradeable through legacy weapons? Why couldn't you have waited until the fix you say is planned for next month to allow unlocked items to transfer? All you're doing with this change is generating ill-will in your player base, and causing people to decide to simply not buy Cartel Market crystals and tunings anymore! Is that really worth a few extra bucks in the short term?

I've been cheerleading for you since you were promoted. This has put a damper on my enthusiasm in doing so, I have to admit.
#SWTORMaintenanceMode2018
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
07.11.2017 , 05:16 PM | #249
Patching something you' said over there years WAS NOT EXPLOIT after 5+ years and saying it EXPLOIT show how bad management is and how stupid they really are.

THis change was done after all this time was done purely out of greed, The fact that you trying to rationalize this change after 5+ YEARS make it look that much worse.

IF it was EXPLOIT 5+ years AGO and KNEW about it why it only gett fixed after you's added tuning to collection? oh i know cause your charging 500+ cc for the account unlocks for them.

Again this was changed after all this time out pure greed, you know and we know it. you's need to stop trying find new ways to piss off what left of population

This need to be reverted at the very least the color crystals changes need to be undone. this change only benefits BW greed, and inconvenience the individual,, IT not like we could take the unlocks and then sell the item to other people.

THen again last few years has been all about how can we milk people with CS.

MeNaCe-NZ's Avatar


MeNaCe-NZ
07.11.2017 , 05:17 PM | #250
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
-snip-
Thanks for the update and it looks like pretty much everything on the issue has been addressed in your post.

Glad to see you hadn't been scared off from posting as I thought might have been the case after that recent issue around criticism etc.