p2p vs f2p

Sarfux

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you play this game if it wasn't pay to play and it was free to play with a cash shop with microtransactions?

No. I HATE F2P games with their micro transactions. With SWTOR, I pay 50 cents a day for constant updates and fixes. I like that a lot.

Probably not for long. It's more expensive to get the whole game experience with F2P.

I agree with this. I have played a F2P. It ended up being more expensive to play. Besides, I don't think it's very fun to buy your way to the top.

Would you play this game if it wasn't pay to play and it was free to play with a cash shop with microtransactions?

No.

If you analyse most F2P games. ALL the best features are in their paid tiers. F2P is a missleading. In the end if one likes a game they will become a top tier subscriber.

Look at Fallen Earths Model, or EQ1 for example all the best stuff is in the P2P tier.

If you like a game support it with your money so there are investment dollars to continue developement and support bug fixes and maintenance. If you don't like it don't play it.

Let the market deside.

In the end you will pay something to play. There really isn't any F2P.

F2P would be:

1.) Client for free.

2.) ALL features for free.

3.) NO ingame product placement ( yes that is a distraction that takes away from your time playing.

This WILL NEVER happen because it costs money to produce a product.

In the end you pay something either time or money and or suffer thru advertisements.

I am fine with the Subscription NO micro transaction model.

Edited by Urael

No. I HATE F2P games with their micro transactions. With SWTOR, I pay 50 cents a day for constant updates and fixes. I like that a lot.

/Agree.

F2P is bait and switch. It ends up costing you just as much if not more to play on an annual basis.

It also attracts people who won't pay to grief a community, but will grief for free.

If it was along the LOTRO model...maybe. There you can "grind" your way into having "credits" to purchase things/expansions/items etc.

Aside from that, no, probably not.

Nah, BW had the chance to keep me as a customer. They didn't deliver the type of pvp I would like in a game, so I will not look back. PvE they do a great job though. Wouldn't play the game even if it were free though. Once I unsub from a game I usually don't go back. Haven't played WoW in 3 years and don't see myself ever going back. Takes a good two months for me, if I'm not totally absorbed with the game, it's not for me.

I don't mind free to play games or pay to play games that have microtransactions though as long as they are pay to win type of microtransactions. Cosmetics, clothing, mounts, pets, etc. I don't see a problem with if people want to buy em.

Edited by Tiam

No. F2P has ruined STO in my opinion. It would do the same to this game.

Now, Cryptic employees consider placing new ships to buy on the C-Store as "new content". What a crock.

If it was a p2w (the likely alternative that EA would've pushed forward) then I would've stopped dead in my tracks at 50, ultimately turning me from any motivation to repeat the process on a new character.

If it was a 1-time purchase for quicker progress like Global Agenda where the only other purchases are temporary boosts and cosmetic items, I'd be playing for a long time. League of Legends has a similar format except without any required purchase and look how successful that got.

since i play this game as a single player RPG

Yeah id still play if it was F2P

Only difference is I might see another player occationally!

It depends on the implementation. The only big game that's gone F2P that I have experience with LOTRO, and to me it completely ruined it. Me and my fiancee both became lifers ($200 lifetime subscription) after playing it for about six months we enjoyed it so much...and haven't played it since it went F2P and became a pay-to-win system.

I'm okay with selling unlockable (balanced) classes and the like, cosmetics and fluff...stuff that really doesn't affect game balance. But LOTRO went overboard, skewing the game to those with enough money to buy special megapotions, permanent stat boosts, horses that go faster... If people wanted it, and LOTRO could monetize it - they did. The loading screens became advertisements (and oddly, loading time increased about 10x at the same time...), seasonal festivals became grind-fests because they would then sell all the festival loot in the store, the list just goes on and on.

My personal favorite was a special mount with a really low drop chance in their Halloween haunted house. They laid it on heavy how awesome and unique this horse was, and you better make sure you do your dailies to have a chance at it, because once the Festival was over, the horse would be gone for another year. Maybe...a week after the festival ended, they were selling "FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME!" in the store.

And while it sounds like I'm ranting, I'm not really. I've moved on from LOTRO and don't intend to look back. But that is my experience with F2P, and to me it completely ruined the entire game to the point where we walked away from about $800 worth of lifetime subs, expansions packs, etc.

tl;dr- Done right, where game balance is preserved between the haves and have nots and all that's sold is fluff, expansions, areas I would still play if it went F2P. If it went the way of monetizing every little thing, I definitely wouldn't.

No...I played EQIIX and I realized very quickly how much more you pay using the F2P model. It's just an illusion tons of people fall into since you are technically not obligated to pay per month.

Subscription based MMO's give the best value of entertainment for your dollar.