Chasing the Shadow: need some advice.

I've done this Heroic 4 mission in the Black Hole twice and I'm having trouble with the final boss fight. The guy has some kind of AoE attack that I don't know how to avoid. I'm playing as a healer. so it's important that I stay out of harms way, but the area of effect is so large, I have trouble staying out of it. A healer running around for his life can't do a whole lot of healing and it's dragging down my group members. Can anyone offer me any tactical advice on how best to deal with this fight?

stand away from the boss. he always calls the giant AOE circle right on top of where he stands (if i remember correctly), so if you stand back as far as you can afford to, then you should be able to avoid it altogether, or at least run out of it in time.

i also tend to save my "cc escape" skill for when he does call the AOE, just in case you're rooted to the ground by his other skill.

Edited by happysister

In general most of the end game contents require a combination simple mechanics, to name a few: interrupt, run away from aoe, stack close, cleanse, use defensive cooldown.

So yes, healer need to move. Most of the mechanics are designed in a way that as long as the tank holds the main aggro and the dps avoid unnecessary damage, the healer should have time to move and cast between damages and keep the party alive.

In terms of the last boss in cst, he has two main abilites. The aoe doesn't hit hard but range and healer should run out of the circle. I even run out of the circle as tank to show the healer some love. The grenade can be interrupted.

You put a shield and a heal over time on the tank and run out of the area... You don't mention which class you play, so it's hard to give you specific advice.

I've killed this boss with 2 player DPS and 2 Companion healers. Companions don't move out of "the fire". Additionally on my dps sage I've switched from dpsing to healing and shielding the tank due to dufusery by the healer, though you can't keep it up for a sustained period especially if the tank isn't rotating his cooldowns. He isn't hard by any means, and that big aoe is the only serious threat.

Have any healers tried soloing this, I can solo it on my shadow tank with tharan healing. I make him stack on top of the boss, and I don't move for anything. He takes all the dmg just fine, and with his aoe heal hitting us both everytime its like an extra hot on us both. I see no reason why a healer couldn't do the same thing with a dps or tank comp. It won't be quick, but it should be possible.

Have any healers tried soloing this, I can solo it on my shadow tank with tharan healing. I make him stack on top of the boss, and I don't move for anything. He takes all the dmg just fine, and with his aoe heal hitting us both everytime its like an extra hot on us both. I see no reason why a healer couldn't do the same thing with a dps or tank comp. It won't be quick, but it should be possible.

Used to do it weekly on my sawbones, incredibly easy.

Yes this is totally soloable as sawbones, with any companion really.

In fact I had a fun (but long) fight by dpsing him down as sawbones, while Gus healed me. It is very fun to do, as you're constantly monitoring your HoT's and energy, but also trying to melee dps a guy with a big AOE. I recommend trying it if you have like... Rakata lvl gear on you and Guss.

Or you could just play it safe and heal a tank/dps companion through it. :p

Actually some of the aoes, not all but some of them dont appear to hit all companions... a lot of people solo it, I have never heard of ahealer soloing it... maybe a scoundrel could as they could skip a lot but, fighting through the trash on a healer would be time consuming.

Have any healers tried soloing this,
I do it almost daily with my sawbones. 3 fights and done and I can actually even do it with just two fights. I have even done it twice killing everything in the building including those people don't normally kill. I actually find the final boss easier solo than doing it with just 1 dps since gravity bomb is a pain with two. With my Wookiee or Risha I just keep the at range and I only have to worry about myself and it isn't much damage that way. I have just gotten where I can solo this with my dps shadow, but my sawbones has been able to do it since Columi gear.

@OP, just always stay at range from Kovic. If the AOE pops and you are in it run out. If you get hit by gravity bomb then either free yourself or pop your defensive cooldown. With my shadow I just stay in for the AOE and pop resilience in a group or Unity when I solo it. With my sawbones I am usually on the edge or out of the AOE, so I get out and start hitting the dps or tank staying in with heals.