Farming yourself for ranked comms?

marcusaharon

Heard an ugly rumor and wanted to know if anyone knew anything concrete: I've heard that Grim Determination (and possibly some others, but everyone loves to hate GD) will load up ranked queues with two teams and just farm one another for ranked comms. I.e., one side plays target dummy while the other racks up medals. Then trade sides and repeat.

If that's true, shouldn't it be considered an exploit? Elite War Hero is a hell of a long gear grind for people who can't throw together sixteen pvpers with lots of spare time and no qualms about playing target dummy.

[Paragraph removed.]

GD kills me a lot, but I'm a healer who mostly pugs, so I guess I was asking for that. And to their credit, I don't actually see them brag about their wins, so at least they do it with some dignity. (Personal experience only.)

But if they farmed EWH before anyone else could by literally killing themselves, I guess that would change my opinion of them from "highly skilled" to "highly skilled at exploitation." Anyone in GD actually want to talk candidly about this? I roll 50s on both sides and don't have a ranked team, so I'm not really on anyone's side. Just curious.

[Edited from original where some names were named. Some people read too much into it and became butthurt. But as I said quite clearly, I'm on no one's side, and have nothing personally against GD. Reading carefully would save you a lot of time and a lot of tears, guys.]

Edited by marcusaharon
QQ from the peanut gallery

I've only been in GD for a month or two, so I can't speak to behavior before then, but when GD does intra-guild ranked it's to practice against good players and enjoy tough competition. Ranked comms are an ancillary benefit (and EWH is also such a small boost from WH that the notion of intra-guild play as a "gearing exploit" is kind of silly). Both teams play to win. In fact a lot of thought goes into properly balancing the teams so that competition is fair.

In addition, the number of actual games that gets played is small. Finding 8 people to play ranked is tough. Getting 16 rarely happens and never lasts long. It's a handful of games per week at most. If it's a conspiracy to get a leg up on gear -- or even more ridiculously to pad ratings -- it's the slowest and least efficient conspiracy ever.

Edited by Syberduh

I have to be honest. I don't know if it is true or not. I don't care. What I do care about it this type of chatter on our forums. I've been seeing it more and more around the server as time goes on too. It just brings the whole community down. The pvpers use to be pretty respectful for the most part (with few exceptions). It was friendly comp... and I personally, want it to stay that way.

Lets try to keep it positive <3

P.S. I don't think i'm any kind of forum police, because I'm not.. but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there if anyone cared.

Edited by Desiirea

I've only been in GD for a month or two, so I can't speak to behavior before then, but when GD does intra-guild ranked it's to practice against good players and enjoy tough competition. Ranked comms are an ancillary benefit (and EWH is also such a small boost from WH that the notion of intra-guild play as a "gearing exploit" is kind of silly). Both teams play to win. In fact a lot of thought goes into properly balancing the teams so that competition is fair.

In addition, the number of actual games that gets played is small. Finding 8 people to play ranked is tough. Getting 16 rarely happens and never lasts long. It's a handful of games per week at most. If it's a conspiracy to get a leg up on gear -- or even more ridiculously to pad ratings -- it's the slowest and least efficient conspiracy ever.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the helpful reply! (Not sure why everyone else got so defensive...meow. Guess there's a reason I usually don't post.)

It was cause actual names were mentioned ... pointing out a guild or player name usually gets that type of response. If it had been a more vague inquiry with names left out, that would of been different. Hope that makes sense. :)

There were two types named: good players, and lolsmashers. And I even acknowledged that lolsmashers were possibly good, but said I didn't like the spec. Anything else is projection.

Interguild ranked matches happen all the time. Since they're generally friendly matches, if a game is already decided I've seen the winning team allow the losing team to farm some medals (e.g. capture a node or solo kill), and then switch up teams after the match to make them more even. I think this is a far more likely scenario than the one suggested in the original post. There's just no point in letting somebody win. More than anything, it would just be plain boring. Guys and girls in GD are there because they love PVP, not because they love comms.

Intra-guild ranked is great. I wish Ascension had enough players online to coordinate more ranked matches - iron sharpening iron and all that. I know enough of the Grim players to know that they wouldn't trade wins/losses. Losing on purpose just isn't in their nature, and most all of them are pretty geared up already anyway.

I have to be honest. I don't know if it is true or not. I don't care. What I do care about it this type of chatter on our forums. I've been seeing it more and more around the server as time goes on too. It just brings the whole community down. The pvpers use to be pretty respectful for the most part (with few exceptions). It was friendly comp... and I personally, want it to stay that way.

Lets try to keep it positive <3

P.S. I don't think i'm any kind of forum police, because I'm not.. but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there if anyone cared.

Agreed

Okay. Because my asking about this has bothered some people, I have revised my original post to create a sanitized version without names. In the future, I suggest actually reading the literal words of the OP and NOT projecting your assumptions onto it, but because this is a message board, that's a lot to ask. Obviously. Edited by marcusaharon
Fixed earlier post instead

Okay. Because my asking about this has bothered some people, I have revised my original post to create a sanitized version without names. In the future, I suggest actually reading the literal words of the OP and NOT projecting your assumptions onto it, but because this is a message board, that's a lot to ask. Obviously.

Don't like to get involved with posts regarding grim because they get so sensitive, but just going to let you know, no point in trying to have a discussion with them as they will ignore everything you say and play the victim card/put words in your mouth. Good luck. :)

Don't like to get involved with posts regarding grim because they get so sensitive, but just going to let you know, no point in trying to have a discussion with them as they will ignore everything you say and play the victim card/put words in your mouth. Good luck. :)

Oh, internet. But at least there's one voice of reason. :)