[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

AstralFire

Thoughts on what stats for dec pve should be going i know it says crit but crit dr's thinking power or stating accuarcy better? And what is your thoughts on pvp dec, stats for crit power surge

Expertise > Crit > Surge.

I've played through WoW pvp, and expertise is resilience with "BioWare" crudely slapped on top of the "Blizzard logo".

*rant* (feel free to skip) *rant*

The game was cheap when I didn't have it; the game was cheap when i finally possessed the stat. More interestingly if there was no pvp stat, Raiding would actually be taken more seriously since that would be a great source for powerful gear. Once I had all pvp items except for weapons and accessories, I lolled my way into a huddle and lolled my way back out with a kill. Plus one for Cheat Death.

I seriously hope that BW doesn't wisen up and fix this before I hit battlemaster. There are some nights when real life sux and I just want to troll that guy who rerolled an alt before legacy was implemented.

*end rant* (continue reading) *end rant*

Next is Crit, because you want to do the most damage possible and accuracy no longer provides armor penetration. You'll get enough Willpower from mods and Armorings. Increasing power only increases your base damage, which is reduced by armor rating (which everyone has). Crit can only be reduced by a shield (see where this is going?). So if the goober you target is not a tank, base crit is a free 150% damage, before the addition of deception tree talents. Also a lot of bosses have temporary shields, dps it and then the shield drops. Crit for more damage. I really hope this makes sense, I'm not sure how else I can emphasize the importance of "free damage" to a dps build.

At some point, you're going to hit 35% - 40% base crit:D, skills will give you increased crit chance with force crit procs (whiskey tango foxtrot, indeed). This can add up to a 45% - 55% crit prior to relics, trinkets, and whatever other star wars drugs you may ingest.

Once you have enough crit, the goal shifts to: "how can i crit harder?". Since surge:sy_consular: is the only thing that boosts our crit damage... I really hope that I don't have to further explain this one, alright?

Oh! Yes, stims are the pcp of SWTOR. Regardless of BioWare forum editting, Canderous Ordo and common sense have unfailingly made this obvious.

Now... Go hurt something.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if anyone has thought of this or has been said before, but what would be the bigger payoff between 2 points in Insulation over 2 points in Static Cling. I personally think the extra 30% armor rating can be very beneficial, but I want to see how others feel in this situtaion.

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered in your guide(as I just skimmed over it), but would the Stantard Madness PvP or Madness PvP Tank allow more damage in PvP for:

:wea_03: I understand it's a lot to ask, so if you don't want to answer all or do not have the time to answer just skip to where the symbols are shown again. :wea_03:

1. Multiple targets(if it depends on the # that is greater than 1, let's say 2.)

2. Over a long period of time

3. 1on1(overall)

3a. A target farther away

3b. A target within melee distance

:wea_03:4. Overall PvP:wea_03:

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Meflieshigh

In your gearing for madness you listed to gear the same as deception. Deception utilizes a lot of short CD abilities in its main rotation, where as madness gets a lot of burst from crushing darkness.

The 2 other dots of the tree have a long durration as well. So my question is why not go for power as well? I find the longer a CD on a skill / durration on a dot, the more you benefit from power. Do you find crit and surge outweigh this?

I am sorry if these questions have been asked but:

I am deception specced with chain shock.

What crit and surge % should we target?

Should I focus on the % I see on character sheet for each stat or rather when I hover to see the breakdown of +%?

Do you strip your Tioneses/Columni/Rakatta mods to add in Crit and Surge?

I cringe every time I replace my Orange modded gear that has epics from the dailies and see the massive hit to crit and surge. Should I not worry about this? Is the increase in WP and Power more than making up for the loss in crit/surge? Should I be placing those epics acquired through dailies into my raiding gear? Thanks!

No Madness PvP hybrid any more.

It's not a hybrid, the Standard is well, standard/pure. And the Madness PvP tank is just extrfa-survivability and the ability to tank, if you click on it under madness it's simply 8 points in the tanking tree that increase health/lower damage taken.

Just want to clarify or expand on the Rotation/priority list for Deception in the OP.

Ability list/rotation

Assassinate (Target at 30% health or less)

Maul (Exploit Weakness)

Discharge (every CD, after 5 stacks of static charge for burst)

Shock (2x Induction & 2x Voltaic Slash)

Voltaic Slash (Use it early and use it often, ie all the time)

Saber Strike (Conserving Force, Building up force with 2 pc. PvE set bonus)

Personally, I would recommend starting madness/darkness to level then switch to deception at 45+. That's what I did and it worked great, I definitely also see a marked improvement on dps, although my gear has gotten much better. I may try switching back and comparing, but having too much fun with deception right now.

Why can't we use Electrocute?

You can, but it's just not what regular roles in raid (pve ops) demands and thus not what your mates expect you to do. Many classes have 1 minute control abilities that can be used, so 4 seconds stun is not really useful in pre-fight control. After that most mobs are on tank. If mob is awakened before its time, your stun can interrupt recontrol attempts on this mob, since Electrocute deals damage. It's generally better to keep your hands away from this ability in raids.

There's only 1 notable exception I remember - 3rd boss in Eternity Vault. Another interrupt comes handy there.

Hi all,

This is a very well put together guide. Great job. If it's not too much trouble could you please state specifically at what level did you spend X point in the trees for each build. Oh and could you maybe give me an attack rotation starting at say level ten and advance that rotation through the levels as changes occur.

Thnx

Edited by Ravenshade

i am looking to make my assassin into a main tank for end-game content. i am only lvl 31 and my problem so far is keeping aggro with multiple targets rather than staying alive, probably because of reckless DPSers in flashpoint PUGs. this led me to play around with the calculator with the intention of making a strong DPS tanking build. i came up with this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rzrskbskfsZZf0cz.1

what do you think? the biggest differences from the standard build are the 6 points in Nerve Wracked and Electric Execution which take points out of Premonition, Torment, Shroud of Darkness, and Charge Mastery.

this breaks down to +9% DMG to targets that are spiked or electrocuted and +9% DMG from dark charge at the expense of +2% defense/stealth detection (Premonition), -1 and -3 force cost for thrash and shock (Torment), +1% endurance (Shroud of Darkness), and +6% to the resistance to internal and elemental DMG provided by Dark Charge (Charge Mastery).

gear is the only thing i am on the fence about. i'm already maxed out in biochem and can start working on lvl 50 implants and reusable stims/medpacks/adrenals. i also have guildies with artifice and synthweaving that will be able to craft 50s sometime soon hopefully. the question is whether to go all out on gear that gives willpower/crit/surge ratings or to go after traditional tanking stats or both.

has anyone tried to make a DPS/Tankin Assassin? if so what was your experience like?

How does the change to Crackling Charge affect our rotation? Now that discharge has no CD? Does that Essentially drop Thrash from the rotation? Making Discharge our filler? Or do we use it only when the dot falls off?

**Previous Rotation**

ABILITY OVERVIEW

Priority List (Standard):

1. Death Field (Even single target, every CD)

2. Shock (If Unearthed Knowledge is not active, or about to expire)

3. Assassinate (Target at 30% health or less)

4. Maul (Exploit Weakness, behind target)

5. Crushing Darkness (Raze buff, preferentially on an unafflicted target)

6. Creeping Terror (On a target not currently afflicted, or about to expire)

7. Discharge (every CD)

8. Thrash

9. Saber Strike (Conserving Force)

Edited by blaqops