Buy subcriber (30/60/90 days) on steam - How it exactly works

Miasako

Hello guys, for me it's good you can buy subcriber days (30/60/90) per stream because I can easily buy steam redeem code from shops instead (I don't want to use credit card or paypal at first place).

Still I'm confused how exactly it works and what I have to consider before I switch from old swtor to swtor steam.

So here my questions for these guys who already tried to buy subcriber on steam

- If I use swtor steam does that mean that I can't use my old account anymore because I'm forced to use steam account?

- What exactly happens after I buy subcribtion? Do I get a sub code per email or it's somehow bounded on my steam account but not on my swtor account?

- As far I understand I have to install the whole game again if I'm using steam to buy sub, right?

- Can I buy for example 30 days for one month once or it's a montly rating offer in steam?

There is no difference between your subscription through the website or Steam, because it will go through your SWTOR account anyway. Only the surface is different, but everything else is the same including the account and the servers. Just be careful that Steam and the account on the SWTOR website are linked and use the same Email address. Subscriptions through Steam are currently non-recurring, but they plan on adding recurring options in the future.

It depends on your current SWTOR install whether you can simply copy the folder or not. Steam uses the non-Bitraider version of the launcher (which is one of its benefits, because Bitraider is buggy) and the official launcher from the SWTOR website uses Bitraider. They are incompatible, so if you used the official Bitraider version you will have to do a full download again on Steam. You can check whether your current install is Bitraider when you start up the launcher and see the letters ST on the bottom left. You can uninstall the previous install including Bitraider after you have downloaded the game again via Steam.

Edited by Phazonfreak

It depends on your current SWTOR install whether you can simply copy the folder or not. Steam uses the non-Bitraider version of the launcher (which is one of its benefits, because Bitraider is buggy) and the official launcher from the SWTOR website uses Bitraider.

Fussy, the official launcher *can* be configured to use the "SSN" (not-Bitraider) downloader.

They are incompatible, so if you used the official Bitraider version you will have to do a full download again on Steam. You can check whether your current install is Bitraider when you start up the launcher and see the letters ST on the bottom left. You can uninstall the previous install including Bitraider after you have downloaded the game again via Steam.

Be careful. I did exactly that, and something in the process wiped all my UI settings and exported keybinds.

Mentioned here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=982171

You don't need the old version and can uninstall it, whether it has Bitraider or not (it's configurable by editing a file).

However, before you uninstall it, back up your old UI settings. They are inside a folder in your AppData stuff. To find this folder, open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer!) and type %localappdata%\SWTOR into the location bar.

You'll see two folders, "CrashDump" and "swtor". Copy them both somewhere else *then* uninstall the old version of the game. This wipes out those folders, so once you've launched the new launcher, you can copy them back.

Carefull buying sub from steam. :eek:

I did so And it worked for me ,but if you read current discussions in steam, some folks have trouble with that.

And yes for me too it is easier to use steam payment. How I think it worked ok for me ---- First in steam make it so you are able to take part in discussion (have profile that is, a name to use in discussions in steam) look in your swtor profile that both accounts are linked ,( you see your steam profile name in link) be logged in to your swtor account. open steam, go to store buy first 250 swtor credits for testing if it works. start swtor game see if your 250 creds purchase got ok. If so log out of game, make your 1 month test sub log back in to game and hopefully all is ok :)

Edited by HumbleFreebie

Downloading the client from Steam and then signing into your SWTOR account will automatically link both together.

Subscription bought from the linked Steam account will go on to your SWTOR account - however many people have reported issues with the subscription not working, it is unknown whether it is a Steam or EA issue.

As far as I know, the subscription from Steam does not renew itself automatically so after your sub time is over you'd have to manually purchase it again.

And yeah, you have to reinstall the entire game if you have had any other SWTOR launcher variant previously.