Sorcs SUCK!

revolana

Why is it that every single game i play i happen to choose the most crapped on class there is? I mean i pick a Sorc for ranged DPS and what happens? Stun, Stun, Snare, Blinded, Immobilized dead. Seriously what fun is that? I get 1 insta cast 4 second stun and 1 30 minute cast time whirlwind. However if i dps someone they get broke out. Me, hell no i get stunned and im dead from all the damage thats being put out on me.

I cant for the life of me figure out why all the other classes are feeling so OP when it comes to 1v1. I stand 0 chance to beat anyone in 1v1. Now i see why everyone rages about the failfest of a pvp system in this game. Seriously needs overhauled and balanced a TON.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have problems with 1v1 as a sorc but I have faced the fact that it's not the class the sucks but my pvp skills. This class is one of the most fun to play in PVP and PVE. Edited by Akarhys
Spelling

I have to disagree with the above.

Sorcerer is really an extremely squishy class with no damage mitigation cds (and for the one person intending to mention bubble, it is not damage mitigation and is done in 1hit from most dps classes).

On the positive side, sorc has a lot of utility and escape mechanisms, which help against some classes.

Depending on your spec, you need to obtain access to snare, either through 31 points in madness or a talent in the middle of the lightning tree that ads snare to your overload.

Naturally, this only helps in some cases, as assassins have force shroud and juggernauts in vengeance are immune to any form of cc full 4 seconds after leap. Those 4 seconds are quite often enough to get you killed and there is not much you can do about it at the moment (so no, the problem is not necessarily between the keyboard and the chair). Skilled assassin can also rip you apart without you being able to do much about it.

For these reasons, you need to resort to thinking ahead.

Do not be in places where you can encounter enemy stealthers.

Do not be in places where you are an obvious target.

Do not use force lightning before you have DoTed every single enemy there is, force lightning is a very nice way of saying: Look at me, here I am in my Squishiness, come get me.

While dotting, hug pillars, corners or any other objects you can use to break line of sight.

Mostly useless cybertech offers a wonderful grenade that awards an insane aoe 70% slow for 8 second every 3 minutes. Abuse it.

And most important, avoid 1v1 situations. You do not have the burst or survivability to win against similarly geared/skilled opponents, so just don't even try unless you have to.

If you really want to avoid the depression while playing this game as sorcerer just ignore pvp warzones. This game is for grouping and pve fun. Now you ask why I say that, well look around: there are only a few pvp maps in the game! Hutball it the most pathetic copy of CTF gamemode I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot! Then there are 3 other "conquest/rush" maps and two of them are quite similar(Novare Coast and Civil War"). So basically we have three (3, what a joke!) different kind of pvp group maps! Have you ever heard of a multiplayer game which only has 3 maps in it?

Secondly the mechanics of playing pvp in this game is ridiculous. There's hardly any time to use any tactics in the game. It's just some random button hitting and hoping the other one dies quicker than you do. When you play real "pvp multiplayer games" like GranTurismo of BattleField for example there you have time to think, use tactics and you have to know your car/firearm. In TOR that does not matter because there's no tactic going on in the warzones, just random button hitting and running around. PVP in this game is a total joke.

I'm also disappointed because of the nerf done to sorcerers, especially healers. Before 1.2 we were able to do HM runs(FPs and Ops) with sorc healers with no big problems. Few deaths here and there of course but now we have to skip certain bonus bosses if we are using sorc healer because no matter how hard the healer tries it's still not good enough. And our sorc healers are skilled players, they know what to do when healing but it's no good with a broken class!

I personally play hybrid dps sorc and I think the nerf to our dps was unneeded too. My dps dropped 3-4 % from the point it was before 1.2 and we already were a supporting dps class before 1.2! I don't pvp anymore because it's useless because of this nerf. Sorc can't survive in 1vs1 situations because of the lack of decent dps and the low survivability and as I already said there are no tactics in the warzones so it's mainly random button spamming in 1vs1 situations.

What I'm saying here is Bioware pretty much destroyed sorcerer as we can't heal well enough anymore and our dps is too low to survive in most 1vs1 situations, sometimes even in pve group quests. I did not have any problems with these things before 1.2 as I was quite often the main dps in our group and we did well. I still have ~25 days of prepaid play time and I'm going to get the free 30 days too. If things do not change to better during that time it's time for me to quit.

Sorcs do not suck. In fact, no dps class sucks due to any class mechanics. The problem here is a lack of player skill and common sense.

OP you get a stun break right? Learn to use it. Also if you're gonna play a class you have to understand it. Going into any game ladededah with the misconception that you'll roll people without putting any effort into understanding the toon you play then I take off my cap and pray for you.

I play a sorc right now, Lvl 47 currently, lightning spec. Omgwtfbbq! I just said lightning spec! You mean you don't play,madness spec? /sarcasm

I consistently get MVP votes and over 250k dps in sub50 warzones, and I must say it isn't hard at all. Quit your QQing and own up on your lack of basic gaming ability.

^this :)

I play a Sorc too, lvl 33 and lightning spec'd as well, and I have no problems at all doing any 1v1. Granted I rarely do any PVP, not because it sucks but because I suck at PVP, but none the less I have no issues in that area. Maybe you're just not as l337 as you think you are :)

Edited by Flanders
clarification

I'm an assassin, but I always find sorcs(and of course, their sage counterparts) to be interesting opponents.

1v1 really depends on if I can get close. And usually I can because I have the tools to do it. If I can get close they're pretty much meat.

What I find them very annoyingly good at is supporting other characters. Most classes 2v1 I can at least take one of them with me, if they're poorer players than I am I can even beat them both, but sorcs are really good at turning a kill into an 'almost'. A good sorceror supporting a team can be absolutely pivotal.

Of course, thinking in terms of 1v1 is never a good idea as there are always classes that do better under specific situations.

I don't feel my class is underpowered at all. I'm only in half battlemaster, and I can win most 1v1 fights. If you're having trouble wining 1v1 as lightning, try Madness or Hybrid. It offers more mobility, which is important against melee. The key is appropriate use of your utility, in a single fight you should have 2 jolts, 1 electrocute, 1 insta-whirlwind, 1 or 2 knock-backs (potentially with a root), a sprint (or 2), 1 or 2 shields, a stunbreak, heals, and a massive 15 second damage spike from adrenal/relic/recklessness.

Why is it that every single game i play i happen to choose the most crapped on class there is? I mean i pick a Sorc for ranged DPS and what happens? Stun, Stun, Snare, Blinded, Immobilized dead. Seriously what fun is that? I get 1 insta cast 4 second stun and 1 30 minute cast time whirlwind. However if i dps someone they get broke out. Me, hell no i get stunned and im dead from all the damage thats being put out on me.

I cant for the life of me figure out why all the other classes are feeling so OP when it comes to 1v1. I stand 0 chance to beat anyone in 1v1. Now i see why everyone rages about the failfest of a pvp system in this game. Seriously needs overhauled and balanced a TON.

whirlwind is instant cast if you spec properly for pvp. that is all move along.

Yawn yawn. Seriously, new players reading this sort of thread will be discouraged. I'm gently climbing my valor (61 atm), almost all BM and tbh I see nothing wrong with our damage and utility or snare.

This is too much of want to have things your way. I mean, you don't like sorc? Then *** are you doing playing one? Go play something more to your tastes. Or will I have to read about your excuses about how you like the class, or like being a jedi, or don't want to level a new character.

Sheesh. I always cap my medals and usually end between 10 or 12 and when I focus on something it dies. When I'm focused I die, sure, don't we all?

What level are you? I win most, if not all 1v1 situations. Yeah operatives/sins will gank you if they get you from stealth, but otherwise most classes save well played warriors i can beat as a sorc.

Lol.. So you went from winning most/all 1v1 situations then out of the 8 classes, you removed operatives/assassins and warriors (is this both jugs and marauders?). Now you're left with 4 classes. So are you saying you win most/all vs the remaining 4 classes? Or do you mean you never see operatives, assassins, juggernaut, and marauders in pvp? :rolleyes:

Well I THINK YOU'RE LYING! :rolleyes:

Yawn yawn. Seriously, new players reading this sort of thread will be discouraged. I'm gently climbing my valor (61 atm), almost all BM and tbh I see nothing wrong with our damage and utility or snare.

This is too much of want to have things your way. I mean, you don't like sorc? Then *** are you doing playing one? Go play something more to your tastes. Or will I have to read about your excuses about how you like the class, or like being a jedi, or don't want to level a new character.

Sheesh. I always cap my medals and usually end between 10 or 12 and when I focus on something it dies. When I'm focused I die, sure, don't we all?

but that is only because you are great. Most of us valor lv 80 sorcs that have been full BM for a while now that are complaining just don't have skill I suppose...

but that is only because you are great. Most of us valor lv 80 sorcs that have been full BM for a while now that are complaining just don't have skill I suppose...

Honestly? That's part of the problem, but it isn't really your fault. Adapting after a nerf is hard no matter how skilled you are. In fact, I'd say the people who were more skilled before have a harder time with it since their old rotations are so embedded in their minds. But a couple months from now everyone will realize that everybody in 1.2 has it harder (except Marauders/Sentinels) and it all evens out.

Sorcs do not suck. In fact, no dps class sucks due to any class mechanics. The problem here is a lack of player skill and common sense.

OP you get a stun break right? Learn to use it. Also if you're gonna play a class you have to understand it. Going into any game ladededah with the misconception that you'll roll people without putting any effort into understanding the toon you play then I take off my cap and pray for you.

I play a sorc right now, Lvl 47 currently, lightning spec. Omgwtfbbq! I just said lightning spec! You mean you don't play,madness spec? /sarcasm

I consistently get MVP votes and over 250k dps in sub50 warzones, and I must say it isn't hard at all. Quit your QQing and own up on your lack of basic gaming ability.

Stun break cool down is every 2 minutes...learn your class. Once you hit 50 young padawan you will find other lvl 50 players who know hot to kill you. You know nothing about the sorc class.

Yeah, I do too, level 50 now. Don't give a crap it's 3% inferior dps to madness or whatever, it's just fun. Pure and simple, I still get a kick out of watching someone take a thundering blast.

As for the OP, PvP for any class takes skill and knowledge, you have to know your opponents and abilities and your own counters to them. Some classes always have abilities that are harder to deal with for some than others.

And yes, alot of the time you're cced, focused, whatever, you die, light armour, emphasis on DPS now with expertise change. Live with it or play another class. Even the heavy armoured types are going to get melted in the face of concentrated dps, nothing is happening to you that isn't happening to others.

My own advice, is don't go it alone if you can, stay near others so you have support if some loner tries to take you on, other than that, it comes down to experience and learning to deal with situations as they arise.

you cant compare sub 49 warzone to the 50 bracket. (I am not disagreeing with you, you just need the perspective of the massive difference between sub 49 and 50 brackets) I have a sorc healer and I levelled as a healer. I pvp'd sub 49 and it was cake. Once I hit the 50 bracket I started getting focussed a lot more. Sure I died plenty, but I expected that to happen as a healer. I just hide as best as I can and heal from there. I know dps is different etc etc blah blah. and you can all flame me for bringing up healing in a dps thread - but this is "SORCS SUCK" not SORC DPS SUCKS.

either way OP, if you are having issues playing you need to realise that even as a dps or healer, if you start getting focussed, run away, and re-enter the battle from somewhere else! its what I do all the time, and if people chase me, then thats people not capping a location, or getting a door.. profit?

Edited by Dacce

Feel free to ignore this guy

^this :)

I play a Sorc too, lvl 33 and lightning spec'd as well, and I have no problems at all doing any 1v1. Granted I rarely do any PVP, not because it sucks but because I suck at PVP, but none the less I have no issues in that area. Maybe you're just not as l337 as you think you are :)

This guy too.

Sub-50 PVP means nothing. There is no expertise. Varied levels of players with different spells and most important talents.

I really wish people would stop trying to validate their arguments with experiences based off sub-50 pvp.

Feel free to ignore this guy

This guy too.

Sub-50 PVP means nothing. There is no expertise. Varied levels of players with different spells and most important talents.

I really wish people would stop trying to validate their arguments with experiences based off sub-50 pvp.

yea idk either,

this is why sorcs were un-rightfully nerfed int he first place, early game hysteria and imbalance in the lowbie/ungeared brackets where sorcs dominate

but the truth is in geared 50 pvp its quite difficult to play a sorc well, and 1v1 is even harder, we have no powerful cooldowns and we have very low single target dps compared to other classes..

that being said i run hyrbid and can 1v1 most idiots but a smart mara, sin, operative or pt should never lose to me... but they do idk

the wrath CL nerf was ridiculous and i barely crit for 3k anymore most matches, although i can still pull 500k in most long matches from being very active

Lol.. So you went from winning most/all 1v1 situations then out of the 8 classes, you removed operatives/assassins and warriors (is this both jugs and marauders?). Now you're left with 4 classes. So are you saying you win most/all vs the remaining 4 classes? Or do you mean you never see operatives, assassins, juggernaut, and marauders in pvp? :rolleyes:

Well I THINK YOU'RE LYING! :rolleyes:

Operatives and sins that are not in stealth and ganking me with thier stun openers are dead 99% of the time. Even when stunned and gank attacked I can sometimes win against one. Depends on cooldowns. Warriors are mostly dead. However, some well played warriors can out dps my kiting. Most of them die. It is important to note I am talking pre-50 sorcs. Not a 50 sorc so can't speak to that.

So that's most 1v1. Sins tend to be the hardest, but it depends on if they are tank specced or not. It really is about player skill, and more importantly: GEAR. Melee is very gear dependent it seems. I know every time i gain a level all of a sudden i do less damage in bolstered warzones. It's kind of funny to gain a level and do less damage...:eek:

Everyone who says sorc is fine...duel any good Marauder, Powertech or Tanksin.

My Sorc is VR70, full (augmented) Battlemaster, around 1200 expertise.

While I am in 9/10 games on top of the damage charts (and around 100k passive healing) at the end of the game while playing for the objective, I don't stand a chance against those classes in a 1on1, it's just impossible to beat any decent player of them. Those damagenumbers are misleading because we are a DoT- and AoE-class. That's not what pvp is about.

-Marauder, new FOTM, huge damageoutput, to many defensive cooldowns. If I see one of them coming towards me, I just try to run to my team and get help

-Vanguards keep on globaling me with nonstop 3k+ crits.

-Tanksin with dps-gear is the best 1on1 setup at the moment, no chance there, survivability of a tank and damageoutput close to a dps-specced one.

For the other classes/speccs i don't see any problems, especially for ranges. Some Juggernauts are hard, but Snipers and mercs are a joke if you have some pillars to LoS.

Edited by iphobia