Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcer 1.2 patch nerf

Justifies
03.17.2012 , 12:26 AM | #1
Just wondering who all thinks that they went a bit far with the nerf. I am one of 5 sorcs that if this does happen i know of are Unsubbing to this game. Your opinons?

DarthRaika
03.17.2012 , 01:24 AM | #2
i was fine with a nerf to the hybrid spec if we got a buff to the 31 pt lightning spec which I think most agree is weak for a 31 point st spell. Without that I'll prob have to go back to my madness spec which i find very boring and so this may be the first game I quit due to a patch. I'm used to buffs/nerfs but I get so bored in madness.

This game has lowest skill cap in pvp imo. Playing beta and this with sent,merc,sorc, and jug I found all to be very simple. I have fun on full lightning and hybrid at least but I know lightning is weak and madness is strong but boring as hell to me.

Also, I don't really get the nerf. If i want aoe dmg merc is better and if I want st pvp marauder is best. I always said a nerf to hybrid would be fine with a buff to lightning but without it I think swtor might have helped me decide on Tera!

Faeldawn
03.17.2012 , 04:03 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Justifies View Post
Just wondering who all thinks that they went a bit far with the nerf. I am one of 5 sorcs that if this does happen i know of are Unsubbing to this game. Your opinons?
Someone is going a bit far, but it's not Bioware.

If your going to throw your toys out the pram because of a relatively minor change to your class then mmorpg's probably aren't for you as it'll happen again for certain at some point.

DarthRaika
03.17.2012 , 04:37 AM | #4
No, that is not the case as I have played many mmo's and I've been through many OP/UP cycles. I just hate the dot stacking madness spec and that will really be all thats left if these changes go live. I already find the game pretty simple and sorc is the only class with the utility to for sure keep me interested. However, if I am stuck in a spec I find horribly boring and I'm having fun in Tera's beta then I'm prob leaving.

My issue is not the nerf as I'm fine with that. My issue is that the 31 lightning tree isn't being mentioned. We don't have a ST pvp DD spec. That is what I like to play in mmos whether it be ranger or mage. I played merc in beta and while it is a very good class it is horribly boring and the most simple form of ranger I have ever seen in an mmo so that is out for me. With the utility of sorc it can be pretty interesting in teamplay in the hybrid spec or the healing spec. Also, if lightning was buffed it would be interesting as well.

however, the madness spec is just stack dots and hope the other team's healers are idiots. the only reason I play SWTOR is I love huttball and a dot spec sucks in huttball. That is why I would consider leaving.

Otaking_SW
03.17.2012 , 04:47 AM | #5
Sorcs were in desperate need of nerf as the lowest skill cap, most OP class in SWTOR.

Teams of 6-7 sages were common on my pub dominated PVP server.

Said sages did nothing but push heal, no kiting, no interrupt, no nothing and they could win every match like this.

It's great that they got nerfed otherwise we were close to a repeat of Bright Wizards in Warhammer.

Too much healing, DPS, and utility on a ranged class was bad for the game, you really didn't need any other class to win any WZ.

DarthRaika
03.17.2012 , 05:18 AM | #6
However, I have an idea for the DD pvp side for sorcs.

Nerf the hybrid spec but leave wrath as is except make it something -20% on AoE spells (CL). this way you still have an aoe burst spec that can put up respectable chart numbers (thats all most noobs care about lol) but is not as huge as it is now.

Then give lightning tree the obvious buff it needs. Anyone that understands the 31pt lightning spec in pvp knows it is super weak relative to other classes ST specs and it also lacks the mobility/utility of the hybrid and madness specs. Buff Lightning strike and the 31 pt'r and this spec would be fine.

Healing needed a nerf in pvp before rated warzones came out and that nerf was needed for all 3 classes. The long casttime nerf for sorc was the wrong way to do it though as that will be horrible for pvp. There are many better ways to nerf sorc healing in pvp.

Reek
03.17.2012 , 08:16 AM | #7
The change to Wrath is a death blow to dps sorcs in PvP.

It is very likely the dps sorc will now do the least amount of damage among all dps in PvP.

I'll now be rolling jug/marauder, which I think is exactly what BioWare intended with this change.
Reyk / Reekx / Daemen / Iyapo
Vulkar Highway: 3rd Battlemaster, 1st Full War Hero Gear

LordZanos
03.17.2012 , 12:41 PM | #8
The lightning spec is mediocre and generally bad in PvP due to poor mobility

The Madness spec is better, but DPS is completely shutdown by a single cleanse and it has a huge buildup time(4 gcds) to actually start doing significant damage.

The AoE damage that wrath+CL was putting out might have been a bit too much, but considering the viability of the two "pure" specs, they could have thrown us a bone. Compared to Marauders, Assassins, and Powertechs, Sorcerors are not something that is horrible to go up against in PvP.

Mjolnyr
03.17.2012 , 01:40 PM | #9
For pvp its not going to completely kill sorc dps, even though it will bring it down alot. The main issue that's going to make it a class breaker for sorcs in pvp is that it removes virtually all the burst we have to kill people. Burst is far more important than overall damage especially with the surge nerf its already nearly impossible for a sorc to take down a tank and more so a healer because the lack or burst, but once this goes live we will be nothing but little annoyances =(
"If you kill all the wolves, you're gonna have a crap load of bunnies, and by bunnies I mean stupid people."

SerikFox
03.17.2012 , 02:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Reek View Post
The change to Wrath is a death blow to dps sorcs in PvP.

It is very likely the dps sorc will now do the least amount of damage among all dps in PvP.

I'll now be rolling jug/marauder, which I think is exactly what BioWare intended with this change.
Playing a knight (one of both types) myself, I'm not super happy with the coming balance update. They fixed some issues, but I think it's going to create some entirely new ones. I'll wait and see until I judge, but I don't think it's going to go so well. Thrilled about the rest of the update - but I'm wary of the knight/warrior changes