Best pilots list.

Stncold

We've had many arguments, debates and discussions etc over the most powerful force-users and duelists.

I don't think I've ever seen one for pilots though, and with Galactic Starfighter coming up, I think this is a good time to start a thread about it. Free free to include anybody, even non-combatants.

To start, my own.

1: Wedge:No contest he belongs at the top, his accomplishments are nothing short of amazing and all without the Force. A great example of his raw skill is this. Realizing attacking the tie from behind would possibly hit Luke, he loops in at the exact moment Luke is starting to turn to avoid a collision, coming up directly in front before the TIE could even react, destroying it at point blank and rolling at the last second to avoid the wreckage and flies directly through the explosion. Beautiful. Another would be the Battle of Tandankin, he makes a fast strafing run into oncoming fire, torpedoes a large tower causing it to fall directly onto a hundred grounded TIES, effectively ending the battle before the Empire had a chance to scramble.

2: Anakin Skywalker: Among his other accomplishments, winning a galaxy renowned race at the age of 9 with little prior experience. Enough said.

3: Soontir Fel: Widely considered the Empire's best pilot, became a member of Rogue Squadron almost immediately after defecting.

4: Saesee Tiin: Quite possibly the best Jedi Ace of all time.

5: Han: No real explanation needed here. I'd honestly consider him to be about equal with his daughter, Han just has more accomplishments.

6: Jaina: See above.

7: Luke: He's a good pilot, just not on the level of his father, brother-in-law, or niece.

8: Maraak Stele: Emperor's Hand, renowned fighter ace and test pilot, being one of the first to fly newer models into combat., second only to Soontir in the Imperial Navy.

9: Boba: Done a lot of good stuff. You don't get to be the best hunter in the galaxy without being a great pilot.

10: Tycho Celchu: Considered one of the best Republic pilots. Second longest amount of time as Rogue Leader after Wedge.

I would have loved to put some Old Republic people on the list, but there's not enough information to do so. I was very close to putting the Voidhound on the list, but decided against it as I generally like leaving TOR PC's off these kind of lists for the time being, at least until we have more information and story stuff about them.

Possible future mention: Jaina and Jag's kids. Their mother, both grandfathers, and a great-grandfather are on this list. Their father is a decent pilot himself also. Flying genes just runs in their blood.

Edit: Revised and updated the list a bit. Moved Luke up one, added Maraak Stele(thanks to BardatheHobo because I had completely forgotten about him), moved Boba and Tychu down, knocked Dash Rendar off the top 10.

Edited by Stncold

We've had many arguments, debates and discussions etc over the most powerful force-users and duelists.

I don't think I've ever seen one for pilots though, and with Galactic Starfighter coming up, I think this is a good time to start a thread about it. Free free to include anybody, even non-combatants.

To start, my own.

1: Wedge:No contest he belongs at the top, his accomplishments are nothing short of amazing and all without the Force. A great example of his raw skill is this. Realizing attacking the tie from behind would possibly hit Luke, he loops in at the exact moment Luke is starting to turn to avoid a collision, coming up directly in front before the TIE could even react, destroying it at point blank and rolling at the last second to avoid the wreckage and flies directly through the explosion. Beautiful. Another would be the Battle of Tandankin, he makes a fast strafing run into oncoming fire, torpedoes a large tower causing it to fall directly onto a hundred grounded TIES, effectively ending the battle before the Empire had a chance to scramble.

3: Soontir Fel: Widely considered the Empire's best pilot, became a member of Rogue Squadron almost immediately after defecting.

Except Wedge often referred to the Baron as his superior and on one occasion (that I can recall) Fel nearly killed Wedge in a dogfight (and would have killed him if not for a wrecked Y-Wing's ion cannon disabling him). These two should be switched in my opinion.

I can understand wanting to switch them, but I disagree. Wedge is humble and has never once bragged about what he's done, even though he's well within his rights. His accomplishments are just plain better than Soontir's.

Factoring in the almost shoot-down, Soontir tunneled on Wedge to have the glory of taking him down, completely forgetting that Horton Salm's weapons were still operational, and paid for it by having his ship disabled and then captured. Soontir later admitted tunneling Wedge was a mistake.

Edited by Stncold

So is this list about Accomplishments - or who would win in a head to head Dogfight?

For My 2 cents I would Have Asajj Ventress on this list (as a Dogfighter) She seems to be a Very good fighter Pilot - Close to Anakin definitely better than Obi Wan.....

I recall in Swtor General Hesker on Imperial side was considered an absolutely outstanding pilot. I have no idea where he compares to others, but that's one Swtor character that we know is very good. More info on him would be nice.

I agree about Wedge, and Anakin I think is a close second. Those two spots definitely should stay that way. A few other names to throw out there are Hylo Visz (broke through Mandalorian Blockade of the Hydian Way), Z-man from the Swtor book about Malgus, can't remember name, also seemed to be an exceptional pilot, piggy backing the Imperial ship and keeping his ship alive for as long as he did. Boba and Han definitely belong on the list. I believe Plo Koon was an exceptional pilot as well, as was Revan. I'm just throwing some names out there though. Interesting idea for a post. :)

So is this list about Accomplishments - or who would win in a head to head Dogfight?

For My 2 cents I would Have Asajj Ventress on this list (as a Dogfighter) She seems to be a Very good fighter Pilot - Close to Anakin definitely better than Obi Wan.....

It's a mixture of both as far as requirements for being on it.

As far as Asajj, I have no real reason to put her on. She didn't take out anybody of any real importance. Yes she is better than Obi-Wan, but he's not even on the list and I probably wouldn't even put him in the top 20 or maybe even 30 if I went that far.

As for her fight with Anakin, it's hard for me to take it seriously as justification for making it on a top 10 list because A) She had plot armor, and B) and admittedly I haven't watched in a while, but it wasn't even really close. Anakin had her on the defensive the entire time, she managed to survive and score a hit on him, but it still wasn't close IMO. I would however most likely put her on a top 20 list, but I'm not gonna go that far. I'm not convinced she could beat anybody on that list in a dogfight, and her accomplishments are certainly not greater than any of theirs. In terms of a straight dogfight if I matched up people, both would be in their prime, and ROTS Anakin is probably 3x better than CW Anakin as he's got a lot of experience under his belt as of ROTS. Asajj would get wrecked in this scenario.

I was surprised that Maarek Stele was not mentioned, he has always been a favorite of mine. While he is no Soontir Fel I would still rank him up there.

Wow I completely forgot about Maarek, sorry. You're right he probably should be on the list.. Honestly now that I think more about it, I would I think I would move Luke up to 7, put Maarek at 8, Boba at 9 and Tycho at 10, bumping Dash off the list.

What?! I see no Lando!

He flew through the stupid Imperial blockade in the 6th movie. Admittedly, there was a huge gaping hole in the Death Star, but that's not important.....

Yes, and that's pretty much it. I see Lando as an above average pilot really.

Jaina Solo should probably be on this list...

As for Luke... he probably tops this list as well. At his strongest he was flying his ship to the extreme so much he was using the force to keep it from flying apart.

I would have probably excluded Jedi in this list, just to see who is better with just natural ability.

As for Luke... he probably tops this list as well. At his strongest he was flying his ship to the extreme so much he was using the force to keep it from flying apart.

I would have probably excluded Jedi in this list, just to see who is better with just natural ability.

As I said Luke is a great pilot, but unlike everybody above him in the list, his dedication to flying was sporadic. During the 4 year period between ANH and ESB, he split his time between self-taught Jedi training, flying and going on various missions for the Rebellion, and I feel as a result his skill never reached his potential. From ESB and onward he was pretty much fully dedicated to Jedi training and rebuilding the Order. Most of his dedication came from pre-ANH.

The top 5 is actually 3 non-force users, and 2 force-users. The list overall is tied 5-5 between them, before the addition of Maraak and knocking Dash off it was 6 non, 4 users, and personally I find it hard to even count Maraak as a true force-user.