Same Sex Romances!

kavrnathythebold

Mr. Ried already has announced that same sex romances will be added.

The inofficial story is that they first forgot about them and then ran out of time and decided to make the same sex romances post launch content.

Officially we sadly do not know how/when this addition will take place.

This thread will be closed by a moderator quoting the official response by Mr. Ried soon like all the other other threads dedicated to this topic.

If you are of the mind that homosexual and heterosexual relationships are equal than the opportunity for "children" to see the emotional relationships unfold in one or the other should bother you equally (or not at all). If you are homophobic it would present a problem as the game wouldn't be furthering your personal beliefs (which it has no need to do). Same sex relationships are coming in a future patch, its already been confirmed by Bioware, so for all the parents that are TOTALLY fine with their child role playing someone who would kill a woman's husband, deliver his head back to her, and then have sex with her while making your slave watch but would be aghast at the prospect of Adam and Steve or Erin & Eve talking about their feelings for each other can go look for a game that caters to them. Edited by Moitteva
rude, disparaging comments

Not needed, nor does it really fit within the Star Wars universe. Has never been a factor in any of the movies.

Your opinion is irrelevant. They said they were going to put in.

And bully for them. It should be available to everyone, or no one. And I'm glad it will be available for everyone.

Not needed, nor does it really fit within the Star Wars universe. Has never been a factor in any of the movies.

Agreed. It's pathetic enough that the forums are in an uproar about same sex relationships, or lack thereof. Saddens me that a hot button topic in a STAR WARS game is homoerotica.

There are plenty of dating sites for you lonely folks out there. Just saying.

If you are of the mind that homosexual and heterosexual relationships are equal than the opportunity for "children" to see the emotional relationships unfold in one or the other should bother you equally (or not at all). If you are homophobic it would present a problem as the game wouldn't be furthering your personal beliefs (which it has no need to do). Same sex relationships are coming in a future patch, its already been confirmed by Bioware, so for all the parents that are TOTALLY fine with their child role playing someone who would kill a woman's husband, deliver his head back to her, and then have sex with her while making your slave watch but would be aghast at the prospect of Adam and Steve or Erin & Eve talking about their feelings for each other can go look for a game that caters to them.

Has Space Wars for bigots and intolerants been released yet? No? Well you may want to pre-order.

The same old "Agree with us or you are a bigot" argument. Way to turn it nasty so quickly.

A lot of young children play this game. Also there isn't any ******** in the movies. Why would you think there will be any of this when a pivotal part in the movies was a straight marriage. You are marrying pixels, get over it.

What does children playing the game have to do with anything? The fact that people seem to believe that same sex relationships damage a childs mentality compared to a hetero relationship is ridiculous.

If you are of the mind that homosexual and heterosexual relationships are equal than the opportunity for "children" to see the emotional relationships unfold in one or the other should bother you equally (or not at all). If you are homophobic it would present a problem as the game wouldn't be furthering your personal beliefs (which it has no need to do). Same sex relationships are coming in a future patch, its already been confirmed by Bioware, so for all the parents that are TOTALLY fine with their child role playing someone who would kill a woman's husband, deliver his head back to her, and then have sex with her while making your slave watch but would be aghast at the prospect of Adam and Steve or Erin & Eve talking about their feelings for each other can go look for a game that caters to them.

Has Space Wars for bigots and intolerants been released yet? No? Well you may want to pre-order.

Pretty much this. Letting your children play a game where you can cut off someones head and deliver it to their spouse is perfectly ok, but seeing 2 people of the same sex being in a relationship is so horrendously wrong? Get your priorities in check people.

Pretty much this. Letting your children play a game where you can cut off someones head and deliver it to their spouse is perfectly ok, but seeing 2 people of the same sex being in a relationship is so horrendously wrong? Get your priorities in check people.

So you are equating the two -- nice.

The same old "Agree with us or you are a bigot" argument. Way to turn it nasty so quickly.

Well if someone would care to give not bigoted reasons for to continue to exclude SGRAs while OGRAs remain in game that response would not come up so fast would it ?

Believing that your method of doing things is right and alternatives are wrong and that outside parties should cater soley to your persuasion is pretty much the definition of intolerance. Would you be okay if only homosexual relationships were offered? I'm guessing no, so yes... that would make one a hypocrite at best a bigot at worst. Please explain it to me in simple terms if I am misunderstanding the reason you think specific people's way of life should be banned from a game.

So you are equating the two -- nice.

I'm going to tell you a story. One day a man ran across a busy street, pushed an old lady over. Completed a major merger at work, went home and beat up his kid before going out to dinner with his wife and giving her a Million dollar diamond ring.

My problem is that to focus on same sex relationships is like reading that story and saying, "OMG! He jaywalked!!! That is UNACCEPTABLE!!"

I believe we are looking at the statement saying that same sex relationships need to be kept out of the game (dramatically stated) "For the Children!!!!" That is bull in a game that is clearly not marketed to children, and offers content FAR more questionable again than in game story flirtation and consenting adult relationships between members of the same sex. So yes, that is a fairly reasonable response to the poster that brought up the argument in the first place.

Edited by pesky

Not needed, nor does it really fit within the Star Wars universe. Has never been a factor in any of the movies. Not even in any expanded universe stuff that I have read.

Exactly!!! Yet most of these people are too selfish to realise how difficult it would be to put it in the story without making it another DA2 where every character is a bland bisexual cardboard cut out. More importantly. If you think Lore wise, The empire would probably despise it like they despise aliens. The original star wars lore didnt have same sex relations. Get over it

Agreed. It's pathetic enough that the forums are in an uproar about same sex relationships, or lack thereof. Saddens me that a hot button topic in a STAR WARS game is homoerotica.

There are plenty of dating sites for you lonely folks out there. Just saying.

The issue is choice not homoerotica. The easy question to ask yourself is if the ONLY option was same sex relationships would you have a problem with it? If so its hard to defend a position that only heterosexual relationships are kosher. It also has nothing to do with being lonely. My fiance and I play this game together, both of us play lightside characters and both of us have fun in playing someone other than ourselves and seeing the relationships that unfold based on the choices we make.

In Dragon Age 2, which was a game with a lot of flaws, there was a great story moment when you have the option of turning down Anders when he makes a pass at your male character. This led to a moment of great storytelling where I felt awkward with the character. My point being that it made me feel connected to my decisions and my characters.

I am a straight man arguing for the inclusion of these options because it opens up story arcs that can be very emotional and interesting. Also, I believe that only including one option cheapens the illusion of choice in the game. Not including the option in my opinion is (beyond any issues of potential homophobia or bigotry) simply bad storytelling as it ignores the opportunity to tell a great story and that is where I am most deeply disappointed in Bioware.

I'm waiting patiently but have by no means forgotten bioware's promise to include it. :) Yes... they do intend to add same-gender romance/flirt options. If you don't like it, don't partake. If that still isn't enough for you... then you're wanting to control what other players, paying for their subs with their money, have access to: shame on you.

And about the kids playing thing... if you're so terrified your kid will grow up outside your ideal scenario for their future because of one little fade to black scene in an MMO saturared with dark themes then... well... it's not my place to say but good luck.

Exactly!!! Yet most of these people are too selfish to realise how difficult it would be to put it in the story without making it another DA2 where every character is a bland bisexual cardboard cut out. More importantly. If you think Lore wise, The empire would probably despise it like they despise aliens. The original star wars lore didnt have same sex relations. Get over it

But didn't you just tell a great story?

What if same sex relationships were demonized in the empire, wouldn't that make a companion character revealing to you that they were indeed homosexually oriented that much more meaningful? Wouldn't your reaction in either choosing to out your character and lead to his or her shame and or imprisonment or execution make for a powerful moment in storytelling? Wouldn't it make the choose to engage in a relationship that defies the conventions of the Empire or Republic that much more meaingful? Wouldn't that make you feel something which is essentially what this game is about?

Bioware has more or less created the early lore of star wars so to say that a homosexual story hasn't been told yet equates to meaning that one can't be told or that it must mean homosexuals don't exist would mean we can't have any expansions with new races, ideas, or lightsaber colors (and wouldn't that get the nerds twitching).

Greetings everyone!

Same gender romances with companion characters will be a post-launch feature.

Because this is a subject that usually turns into an off-topic debate on a volatile issue, we will be closing this thread. Here is the official statement on romance options:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Thank you for your cooperation.