SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been having the fps issue in wz since release...

just tried this programm but it didnt work :(. i have 16 gb of ram.

any ideas?

I didn't notice any improvement at all tbh. I tried it on this system: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 Ghz with 10 Gigs of RAM. Haven't tried it on my new system cause it's running ok, but I honestly feel that this game's engine is what's holding 16m content back.

Edited by ZETA_SCORPII

Awesome post.

This will get a sticky on the: SWTOR Open Source Community Spreadsheet Collection

This is exactly the kind of thing the collection is for. There are so many useful guides people have made for the game that gets unintentionally buried in normal Forum Parameters, and as a result people miss to opportunity to see. Spreadsheets allow for sort filter lists of useful links by Category and sub categories to allow for quick search of available content.

If people come across awesome guides like this please add it to the SWTOR Open Source Community Spreadsheet Collection in the appropriate link list:

I will spot lite it on general chat when I log in and do my daily:

• NEWS BULLETIN: For the > "SWTOR Open Source Community Spreadsheet Collection":
  • TIP OF THE DAY:

Thanks for posting this great work.

For some reason my client is updating every day after installing swtor unleashed. Is anyone experiencing this? I find it hard to believe we are getting this many updates. This does not seem to matter if I run the client in either retail or swtor unleashed mode.

No idea if this could be a problem, but do you use "remove and quit" option in unleashed app after playing? This should remove file links made by unleased and restore original files in swtor directory.

I am still using this. It has been great for Rishi and Yavin 4 but unfortunately even loading PvP assets does not fix the serious PvP performance issue.

Its still worth it to smooth out some of the game worlds but PvP isn't working properly whether you are using unleashed or not.

Edited by Arkerus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
For some reason my client is updating every day after installing swtor unleashed. Is anyone experiencing this? I find it hard to believe we are getting this many updates. This does not seem to matter if I run the client in either retail or swtor unleashed mode.

Same here.

Edit, after removing the swtorunleashed.xml file and have the app regenerate it, the problem went away.

Edited by anwg

• 4 weeks later...

I did a thread search, and saw nothing on this. I'm only semi-literate on these things, so if I missed something obvious in the error log, you're welcome (for all the pointing and laughing I created in you).

Until this morning, Unleashed ran fine. No patches, no crashes, between now and the last time Unleashed worked. Every time I try to run SWTOR Unleashed, I get this error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SwtorUnleashed.exe

Application Version: 3.4.3.0

Application Timestamp: 53167092

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000328bf

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I do see the ntdll.dll failure, and as far as I know, there's a pretty broad range of troubleshooting steps I could take to repair that issue. Everything else seems to be running fine, just swtor unleashed crashing on startup. At any rate, anyone know of a fast fix that applies here?

windows symbolic link

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS584US584&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=windows+symbolic+link

This program, to some extent, makes the above easier for the average user to do, but honestly it isn't that hard...

Using a RAM Drive:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

You can do this yourself by making links to the files. The upside, no need to disable anything when updates happen, the program never knows the difference.

In fairness, this will make far more different to people who run off a hard drive, if you use a SSD it will make far less difference.

If this works and really improves performance, then why doesn't BW buy it from those guys and put it in the game, but with options in the preferences menu to turn it on or off, and other settings?

There is no need to buy it, if Bioware wanted to they could change the game around to use more system memory... but rarely do software companies bother.

All this is really doing is loading the files into memory and running them from there. This is something that Bioware could do on their own if they wanted to, but it would create another thing to test and validate and it only works if you have enough memory to load enough to matter, 8GB or more.

Buy a SSD, accomplishes a lot of the same thing for less trouble. Not as fast as this would be, but it helps a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
Is this working with 3.2 yet?

Would also like to know. I'm running a GTX 660, 8 cores at 3.50 on Windows 8, 8 gigs of DDR3 and a Kingston SSD dedicated to a few games I play. I still get annoying little hitches in frame rate at random spots in the game despite an average of probably 50 FPS, but most annoying is the little stutter I get when mounting or dismounting. It's obvious there's a few little things in the game that can't be called on efficiently when loading in and out of the game so I'd be curious to see if this program would cure that.

Well I'm currently using SWTOR Unleashed, the only issue I had was that the game would often crash to desktop, seemingly because the Ramdisk is too small even with the +100mb option ticked on.

I added 200mb to the RamDriveSize in the SwtorUnleashed.xml file, opened SWTORUnleashed, clicked Remove and Quit, reopened SWTOR Unleashed and click SWTOR Unleashed to play as usual. It now works without crashing and the RAMDisk often has less than 200mb storage left. It might be enough to add just 25-50mb rather than 200mb.

Edited by MFollin

• 1 month later...

Anyone else experiencing any crashes, when trying to load any characters as of 3.3 Togruta Update. Only characters, that seem to be spared crashes, are those currently not on a planet. (stronghold or such)

Please can anybody offer advice/help/fix/troubleshooting. This tool was really my saving grace with this AWFUL SOFTWARE of a game.

Edit: Well, after trimming down a bunch of assets that i use to load into the RAM drive, the game now loads, runs and plays fairly alright( I mean - No Worse than before.) Cant tell, if this Config does all i need ( its only about 4 GB total now - substantially less than before ), or BIoware actually fixed something like the god awful UI performance.

In either event, Unleashed can probably make the game unstable with certain assets loaded now, but i happily wont be unsubbing.

Edited by SimplyCooL

If this works and really improves performance, then why doesn't BW buy it from those guys and put it in the game, but with options in the preferences menu to turn it on or off, and other settings?

A better question would be, why do we have to jump through hoops to make the game run correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying this out today and I didn't see much performance change when loading planets.

I've got 32GB of RAM in my computer to play with. I can probably safely dedicate about 20GB to it without much issue because I leave some VMs running almost constantly.

I can't quite select all, but are there some larger files that are frequently accessed that I could load in to improve planet load times? Right now I'm a fairly new player so I'm leveling a lot of characters meaning a lot of "please go to this planet to talk to this dude and then fly to another planet" which is taking up a lot of time waiting upwards of 30 seconds on a loading page.

I was trying this out today and I didn't see much performance change when loading planets.

I have tried this with planets aswell without any faster loadingtimes, I have however notied higher framerates during ops or at Fleet when I use it on my older computer.

Edited by Icestar

I have tried this with planets aswell without any faster loadingtimes, I have however notied higher framerates during ops or at Fleet when I use it on my older computer.

I didn't actually take a look at that. i'll have to check that out. If dedicating 15-20GB of RAM to this means I am freed from the terminal 10-15FPS hell I've been dealing with I will be pleased.