Dear Bioware/EA please fix your in-game naming policy

RaithHarth

I understand that you want unique names, but do you realize how much of a pain it is to come up with a name that is satisfying to the player? Usually when we choice a name it is meant to have meaning and value to our story, not some random name picked from a generator that lacks any characteristics.

Before I first joined SWTOR back in 2011, I used to play a MMORPG called "Pirates of the Burning Sea" while it lacks the story that TOR has, it still to this day has the best character naming policy in any MMO, take note, you can basically pick any name as you want as long as there isn't two players with the same identical name/surname for example:

There can be a player named Ted Cruz, while another player goes by the name of Ted Bishop.

Or there can be a player that goes by Billy Bones and another by the name of William Bones

Why doesn't SWTOR have a naming policy like this? This would resolve all our naming troubles, who cares about uniqueness, we want names that have meaning to us, this would also eliminate the alt code names in the game itself.

Edited by RaithHarth

It's been a while since I made another character so this helps a lot thanks lol :D

Yeah. It basically means you can have any name you want now. It's pretty sweet. The only bug is that in chat, the game only capitalizes the first name, instead of preserving the capitalization of whatever name you entered at char select, which is kind of annoying, but you learn to live with it.

That's actually a bug that's been around since launch anyway. If you played a character with the name Dros'Tal, the game would print it as Dros'tal in chat, which is pretty annoying, but whatever.

If you can live with John Smith being John smith in chat, then you can basically name yourself whatever you want, as your possible combinations just got exponentially increased! Go nuts!

Yeah. It basically means you can have any name you want now. It's pretty sweet. The only bug is that in chat, the game only capitalizes the first name, instead of preserving the capitalization of whatever name you entered at char select, which is kind of annoying, but you learn to live with it.

That's actually a bug that's been around since launch anyway. If you played a character with the name Dros'Tal, the game would print it as Dros'tal in chat, which is pretty annoying, but whatever.

If you can live with John Smith being John smith in chat, then you can basically name yourself whatever you want, as your possible combinations just got exponentially increased! Go nuts!

Sounds like an easy fix to me, just as long as Bioware has intentions on fixing it.

Edited by RaithHarth

Lucasfilm doesn't want Star Wars proper names to be used for character names.

In terms of political figures, variations of Obama appear to be banned while variations of Trump are not. (Ostensibly due to Obama themed names are more likely to be offensive than Trump derivative names).

I also notice names which can be used as titles are not permitted. For example "Soldier" is not permitted without using a special character. As is the case with using the term "The" in a firstname lastname format.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Lucasfilm doesn't want Star Wars proper names to be used for character names. In terms of political figures, variations of Obama appear to be banned while variations of Trump are not. (Ostensibly due to Obama themed names are more likely to be offensive than Trump derivative names).

I also notice names which can be used as titles are not permitted. For example "Soldier" is not permitted without using a special character. As is the case with using the term "The" in the firstname lastname format.

Someone -must- have made a Jedi with the name Bater by now, no?

Someone -must- have made a Jedi with the name Bater by now, no?

There was an apprentice bater in one of the comics who did eventually make it to the rank of Master before the editors noticed and summarily killed him off.

Yes there are players who possess a grade-school level wit, who use ALT codes just so their Guardian or Inquisitor can be one of the numerous Master Bat* in game. (Where * is a wildcard for -er, -es, -ing, -ation, ...).

That is why under the Report Player menu there is a "inappropriate name" option.

Edited by jimmorrisson

I never understood why Legacy names weren't unique but first names were.

They were originally, but then they removed that restriction, which a lot of people still don't understand. Removing that restriction just makes it too easy to abuse other players, especially if involves a guild.

Also I just recently renamed my commando Vimy Ridge (after the famous WWI battle in which the Germans gave the Canadians the nickname Stormtroopers) the only issue I have with this is that, it appears to be Vimy ridge in chat, why isn't the "R" in ridge capitalized in chat as it appears? Edited by RaithHarth

Lucasfilm doesn't want Star Wars proper names to be used for character names.

I guess EA and Bioware don't care about this, based on all the Lùkè Skÿwallker and Òbí-wän Kënòßî characters I see running around the Fleet.

Yes there are players who possess a grade-school level wit, who use ALT codes just so their Guardian or Inquisitor can be one of the numerous Master Bat* in game. (Where * is a wildcard for -er, -es, -ing, -ation, ...).

That is why under the Report Player menu there is a "inappropriate name" option.

I remember a Paladin on Xev in EQ who was named Loin Steak, so when he hit 60 and got his class title, he was Sir Loin Steak. That, I thought, was actually kind of amusing.

I agree that the master bat* names are juvenile.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

Considering it;s not game breaking and/or affects the bottom line, don't hold your breath.

While it's not ground breaking, it still an easy fix regardless, it would just be a nice gesture to actually do something about it, rather than leaving leaving it in the dust.