Is this God-modding?

DarthSpooky

Hypothetical situation. RPers are RPing on an RP server (imagine that, I know) . Couple of flagged guys come up and start trying to taunt the RPers into flagging (RPers are cross-faction, on Tat but not in the den) . One RPer calls them on it in character (talking about a mando harassing Sith, so no reason they wouldn't get called on it), they start picking duels to "settle" it. Incidentally these guys are geared to the teeth PvPers, wouldn't be a whole lot of "RP" going on in that duel if you know what I mean. So the "duel" (i.e. slaughter) was refused, now these guys proceed to act in character as though the RPer refusing the duel is some kind of coward. Now that I've typed it out, hypothetical RPer should have just put these guys on their ignore list and certainly will in the future, but back to my original question.

Is challenging other players to duels to settle in character disputes, knowing full well they don't stand a chance, a form of god modding? And moreover, since the players involved in the incident were in fact members of a so-called "RP/PvP" guild, should they be called out on it in a more public forum?

Hypothetical situation. RPers are RPing on an RP server (imagine that, I know) . Couple of flagged guys come up and start trying to taunt the RPers into flagging (RPers are cross-faction, on Tat but not in the den) . One RPer calls them on it in character (talking about a mando harassing Sith, so no reason they wouldn't get called on it), they start picking duels to "settle" it. Incidentally these guys are geared to the teeth PvPers, wouldn't be a whole lot of "RP" going on in that duel if you know what I mean. So the "duel" (i.e. slaughter) was refused, now these guys proceed to act in character as though the RPer refusing the duel is some kind of coward. Now that I've typed it out, hypothetical RPer should have just put these guys on their ignore list and certainly will in the future, but back to my original question.

Is challenging other players to duels to settle in character disputes, knowing full well they don't stand a chance, a form of god modding? And moreover, since the players involved in the incident were in fact members of a so-called "RP/PvP" guild, should they be called out on it in a more public forum?

Well, I'm not sure if it's god modding per se, but it is pathetic. I've been in similar situations. They're not god modders: They're just griefers.

Agreed. it's not godmodding in the slightest. It IS however considered harassment and the players should be both ignored AND reported for it.

I have fought duels underleveled before and nearly come close to winning despite being at 8 levels of disadvantage. Granted nether of us were PvP geared.

Agreed. it's not godmodding in the slightest. It IS however considered harassment and the players should be both ignored AND reported for it.

I have fought duels underleveled before and nearly come close to winning despite being at 8 levels of disadvantage. Granted nether of us were PvP geared.

Honestly, being underleveled against a player is not nearly as difficult as being underleveled against an NPC. NPCs have creamed me with two levels over me, but I've defeated players that were 4 levels over me.

This type of thing happens on Korriban on a regular basis. 50+ geared for PvP standing on the academy stairs challenging EVERYONE. Now being RPer I act as my toon would, sometimes accepting [10-20 levels under] KNOWING that I'll get ate, but that's only cuz that character would. I Have declined and been followed and harassed about it... in which case ignore/report is the one/two punch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It's not God-moding, per se---it's just dumb. In-character power does not correlate with in-game power.

Personally I find In-Character Power being tied to In-Game Power more "fair" then In Power levels by fiat.

"I'm better then you..."

"No, I'm better...."

"No, I am...."

Yeesh.... At least having your characters game power level matter you have some fair level of power that is determined 100% by the game engine and not just by anybody who wants to be a massively powerful Jedi claiming they are and being so.

I went to Tat on Saturday , and there were a whole bunch of us laying siege to the Republic base out in the Dune Sea. I was lvl 48 roughly, with appropriate modding, etc. on all my armor and on Vette's armor (We weren't op grouping for it, just going with our companions and stuff) Then a bunch of freakin' 55s come flying in and roflstomp everybody who's under 50. Tatooine is probably the biggest spot for PvP griefing on non-PvP servers. Even on PvP servers, a lot of gankers stay on Tatooine. Fun!