Scheduled Maintenance: June 12th, 2013 [UPDATED 6:45AM PDT]

AmberGreen

You're far form alone...

+1 to that.

Leaving it till last minute to announce it too is just bad form.

I appreciate you don't want to roll out a bad patch but this delay is only really affecting your more "dedicated" subscribers... Put some effort into either :

a)keeping to your own schedule.

b) explaining to us what this major flaw is so we can at least understand.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite other posters thoughts here, I'm appreciative that they have postponed the update if it had some major issues with it, especially if they're trying to add some bug squashes along with it. Sorry, that is just much more important to take care of than getting it out ASAP for those on vacation. As with any update, they always state updates dates/times may change, so kudos for holding this up and getting a good update out. Edited by Pistols

You know this patch has the first progression race since EC NiM (11/15/2012). You know this patch has the possibility to revive ranked warzones by allowing server transfers.

Both PvE and PvP guilds have invested a lot in preparation for this patch on this specific day:

• PvEers took vacations days for progression and to race for a spot on world ranking,
  • PvPers took vacations days to have their strongest setup available for what was expected to be the most active ranked warzones week ever.

Whatever bug you may have found, please make sure it is worth destroying all these efforts made by your most dedicated players by postponing the patch/transfers.

You can always deploy 2.2 as planned and deploy a quick bug-fix patch a couple of days later.

Despite other posters thoughts here, I'm appreciative that they have postponed the update if it had some major issues with it, especially if they're trying to add some bug squashes along with it. Sorry, that is just much more important to take care of then getting it out ASAP for those on vacation. As with any update, they always state updates dates/times may change, so kudos for holding this up and getting a good update out.

Noone can schedule vacations with 24hrs notice. I think it's fair to assume that when a major patch has been scheduled with a specific date and time for maintenance they are no longer working on it. It is final, ready for deployment. Whatever issues arise are for the next patch.

You know this patch has the first progression race since EC NiM (11/15/2012). You know this patch has the possibility to revive ranked warzones by allowing server transfers.

Both PvE and PvP guilds have invested a lot in preparation for this patch on this specific day:

• PvEers took vacations days for progression and to race for a spot on world ranking,
  • PvPers took vacations days to have their strongest setup available for what was expected to be the most active ranked warzones week ever.

Whatever bug you may have found, please make sure it is worth destroying all these efforts made by your most dedicated players by postponing the patch/transfers.

You can always deploy 2.2 as planned and deploy a quick bug-fix patch a couple of days later.

But what if the bug is that the first boss can't be killed?

Or what if there's an issue with Bolster in PvP? (lol j/k... that'll go live regardless)

Edited by jibboo

Despite other posters thoughts here, I'm appreciative that they have postponed the update if it had some major issues with it, especially if they're trying to add some bug squashes along with it. Sorry, that is just much more important to take care of then getting it out ASAP for those on vacation. As with any update, they always state updates dates/times may change, so kudos for holding this up and getting a good update out.

I too can appreciate that with a little more explanation. Not just a generic "it aint working".

If your mechanic was due to give you your car back on Tuesday, then called you monday and said " Yo Dawg! Your car wont be ready for a while cos its still not ready" you wouldnt just say accept that.

Explain what the issue is (or rather, what the issue is that we would see client side) and maybe some of the community (never all) will be able to accept that.

Noone can schedule vacations with 24hrs notice. I think it's fair to assume that when a major patch has been scheduled with a specific date and time for maintenance they are no longer working on it. It is final, ready for deployment. Whatever issues arise are for the next patch.

Welcome to MMO's, and if you don't think I understand that it sucks you're wrong, see Patch 1.2 debacle.

Bottom line, it happens, it's part of MMO's...and you gamble with vacation when it comes to updates.

Edited by Pistols

Something is seriously wrong with your priorities in this world if that is a "Destroying" move by BioWare!

Seriously, a bug was found, they can't release it, get over it!

I KNEW IT! Not once can EA set a date and stick to it.

Seriously, a bug was found, they can't release it, get over it!

Never stopped them before with 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 2.0, 2.1, or 2.1.1.

Why should they start tnow?

Edited by Bugattiboy

I would also like if you had more transparency and tell us what the bug is. I think it would alleviate some of the negative feelings people will have towards the delay.

Not really, you can't please armchair quarterbacks and whatever they post, some people will get upset about it.

I am just happy they let us know that there is a delay and it's good enough for me to know that they want to make sure the update doesn't have unnecessary bugs in it. We all know that if they didn't delay it and added it another time people would be complaining about the added downtime.

Just relax, throw your sense of entitlement out of the window and shoot it 10 times and accept that as the Rolling Stones put it "you can't always get what you want". Life is so much easier that way.

NOOOOO! If they deploy a buggy patch then you'd be on here in short time QQ'n about an EPIC fail by BW along with everyone else. Just take the delay on the chin and be happy that they found the issue prior to implementing the patch. Even if it's a week.....how long have people been clamoring for the server transfers???? I'm sure it won't kill them to wait a little longer!

Not really, you can't please armchair quarterbacks and whatever they post, some people will get upset about it.

I am just happy they let us know that there is a delay and it's good enough for me to know that they want to make sure the update doesn't have unnecessary bugs in it. We all know that if they didn't delay it and added it another time people would be complaining about the added downtime.

Just relax, throw your sense of entitlement out of the window and shoot it 10 times and accept that as the Rolling Stones put it "you can't always get what you want". Life is so much easier that way.

^ qft

Knowing what the issue doesn't even matter, the fact they recognized an issue that was bad and held it up, is a big step IMO from past updates. Sorry people.

Stable update >>>>>>>> transfers & new raid difficulties

I empathize with the people this inconveniences, but we as a player base do not want an unstable build going live. Better for them to take the time to get it right than implement it just to hit a stated deadline.

We complain when updates have too many bugs, and we complain when they don't implement a buggy update. Sheesh.

NOOOOO! If they deploy a buggy patch then you'd be on here in short time QQ'n about an EPIC fail by BW along with everyone else. Just take the delay on the chin and be happy that they found the issue prior to implementing the patch. Even if it's a week.....how long have people been clamoring for the server transfers???? I'm sure it won't kill them to wait a little longer!

That is not the issue. If they found the bug a week ago they could have delayed it for as long as needed. But right now the damage is done.

What needs to be weighed is the severity of allowing said bug to go live vs messing up everyone who scheduled their lives around this. This is why many people are asking what the bug is. If it's something like "unify colors isn't working" or "TfB NiM first boss can't be killed", or "ranked warzone queue is broken".

^ qft

Knowing what the issue doesn't even matter, the fact they recognized an issue that was bad and held it up, is a big step IMO from past updates. Sorry people.

It really does matter. If the issue is something unimportant id rather just wait for that for another week and get majority of the patch tomorrow. Much rather that than wait an extra day for the whole patch.

• Dev Post

To clarify two points in the thread. Although I don't have exact timing yet, Game Update 2.2 will not be tomorrow (6/11) at all. The maintenance is delayed past tomorrow.

As for the specific bug. What we needed to fix were some critical bugs inside of the the new Nightmare Mode Operation, which would need to be fixed before the Update went live. Upon implementing those fixes the Game Update itself became unstable. That is what we are working through now.

Hope that gives a bit of insight.

-eric

To clarify two points in the thread. Although I don't have exact timing yet, Game Update 2.2 will not be tomorrow (6/11) at all. The maintenance is delayed past tomorrow.

As for the specific bug. What we needed to fix were some critical bugs inside of the the new Nightmare Mode Operation, which would need to be fixed before the Update went live. Upon implementing those fixes the Game Update itself became unstable. That is what we are working through now.

Hope that gives a bit of insight.

-eric

Eric thank you for the reply. I still think it is a terrible practice to schedule an update which isn't finished. Why not make sure it is final and then schedule the update? You would avoid these kinds of situations.

Anyway, one question still remains. Does this mean transfers are delayed aswell?

I'd rather have a stable patch filled as less bugs as possible, than a bug they found that caused too many harmful bugs go live. All you other people who scheduled your lives around this better have learned a lesson.

What exactly would that lesson be? Not to have any interest in competing for world firsts etc? Or maybe just that its time i moved on from SWTOR.

They clarified the problem now so for me personally, i can accept its more than likely the best course of action and it just sucks for me and the others who made plans.