Could We See A "State of the Galaxy" Article?

Ylliarus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bioware picked a "canon" outcome for the story, I suspect more people would be upset about it than happy about it.

But surely the story team can write up a State of the Galaxy article without setting any "canon" outcome for the story? Bioware said from the start they'd not canonize player choices, so I applaud them. They don't need to. As long as we receive a nice and elaborate State of the Galaxy article or post, I am more than happy :D

But surely the story team can write up a State of the Galaxy article without setting any "canon" outcome for the story? Bioware said from the start they'd not canonize player choices, so I applaud them. They don't need to. As long as we receive a nice and elaborate State of the Galaxy article or post, I am more than happy :D

I don’t recall that promise, so i’d need a citation. I do know however that there is precedent for the game making assumed choices when you choose to start KOTFE without completing anything before it, or start Iokath without completing KOTET. If that’s not “canon” for the game, I guess I don’t know what is.

I don’t recall that promise, so i’d need a citation. I do know however that there is precedent for the game making assumed choices when you choose to start KOTFE without completing anything before it, or start Iokath without completing KOTET. If that’s not “canon” for the game, I guess I don’t know what is.

I think this Tweet then is perfect for you :)

The default choices of the Level 60 token have never been seen as "canon" by Bioware, they're just that, default choices to be able to play KotFE and KotET without having to do previous content.

I think this Tweet then is perfect for you :)

The default choices of the Level 60 token have never been seen as "canon" by Bioware, they're just that, default choices to be able to play KotFE and KotET without having to do previous content.

Thank you for that. However, now we’re just talking semantics. As I said, what is really the difference between “default” and “canon” as far as the game story is concerned? In fact, I’d wager Bioware Austin may be prohibited from using terms like canon so as not to confuse customers with Disney Canon versus Legends, which this qualifies as. Either way, it seems like you are handicapping your own fun by waiting for Bioware to tell you who is canonically the current Sith Emperor/Empress.

Thank you for that. However, now we’re just talking semantics. As I said, what is really the difference between “default” and “canon” as far as the game story is concerned? In fact, I’d wager Bioware Austin may be prohibited from using terms like canon so as not to confuse customers with Disney Canon versus Legends, which this qualifies as. Either way, it seems like you are handicapping your own fun by waiting for Bioware to tell you who is canonically the current Sith Emperor/Empress.

Well, I agree, it is handicapping our own fun. But if you look at it from that specific perspective, then one could say RP'ers are constantly handicapping their fun for the sake of immersion, lore or not having snowflakey characters. For example, RP'ing a Sith that has learned Essence Transfer is heavily frowned on in the RP community. Or playing a Jedi who is, let's say, a descendant from Visas Marr. One might argue "why not do it if it brings you fun" and yet solely for the purpose of immersion and steering away from snowflakey characters it's not done in the RP community.

So are you really surprised we limit ourselves to the pre-Iokath timeline just for the sake of immersion and lore? :p

Edited by Ylliarus

Ah I see. My mistake then, I am totally 100% down for an state of the article galaxy. I myself have some questions such as who took over the Jedi Order when Satele exiled herself? Again I'd be more than interested to know how the factions, even the minor ones, are dealing with it all as it helps me immerse myself in the lore of the game and I really enjoy extensive backstories and big exposition dumps about what's been happening, what's happening, what might happens ETC. Point is I'd love to have more codex entries, mails, anything to expand upon what's happening in the wider galaxy. So my mistake, now let's just hope Charles delivers on that promise for a state of the galaxy article. I also wouldn't mind more codex entries in-game or mails, one of the things I loved about Nathema was how Zakuul sends you a mail telling about their own political situation and how your former faction's leader (in case you betrayed them at Iokath) also do in an attempt to get you back, also Satele with Theron, Scorpio ETC. I love little things like this and I would love to see more of it, I understand getting the VAs together just for a few lines for the sake of telling how they feel about something might be too much of logistical nightmare but please keep up the mail treatment, it's nice seeing characters react to your own actions and helps us learn about what's happening to them.

Ah I see. My mistake then, I am totally 100% down for an state of the article galaxy. I myself have some questions such as who took over the Jedi Order when Satele exiled herself? Again I'd be more than interested to know how the factions, even the minor ones, are dealing with it all as it helps me immerse myself in the lore of the game and I really enjoy extensive backstories and big exposition dumps about what's been happening, what's happening, what might happens ETC. Point is I'd love to have more codex entries, mails, anything to expand upon what's happening in the wider galaxy. So my mistake, now let's just hope Charles delivers on that promise for a state of the galaxy article. I also wouldn't mind more codex entries in-game or mails, one of the things I loved about Nathema was how Zakuul sends you a mail telling about their own political situation and how your former faction's leader (in case you betrayed them at Iokath) also do in an attempt to get you back, also Satele with Theron, Scorpio ETC. I love little things like this and I would love to see more of it, I understand getting the VAs together just for a few lines for the sake of telling how they feel about something might be too much of logistical nightmare but please keep up the mail treatment, it's nice seeing characters react to your own actions and helps us learn about what's happening to them.

I absolutely agree with you, disregarding the fact I am a RP'er myself, I do love the little tidbits of lore as well. The mails, the codex entries all the little NPC talks, I simply adore them! They just give dimension to the world and universe I love so much, which is why a State of the Galaxy article would be an amazing thing and I am thoroughly thanking Charles Boyd for wanting to take the time to make one! It just shows his own dedication to the universe and SWTOR's playerbase :D

This is a great idea! I'll endeavor to put one together, either as a blog or forum post. It will probably be a few weeks at least though, so please be patient with me :)

Much appreciated. Could you please also include how the events are affecting common people? For instance, freighter captains struggling to find work on interplanetary routes due to hording that followed in the wake of the resource crunch. That has something I have been sorely needing. I need to understand how the events of the last few expansions fit into the whole. The part beyond the Outlander. :)

Much appreciated. Could you please also include how the events are affecting common people? For instance, freighter captains struggling to find work on interplanetary routes due to hording that followed in the wake of the resource crunch. That has something I have been sorely needing. I need to understand how the events of the last few expansions fit into the whole. The part beyond the Outlander. :)

Boost and bump to this message, because it is very much something I´d love to know as well!

Yes please. I remember there was a codex entry stating in places like Tatooine they even had to use Speeders for scrap and people were only having one ration per day, small things like this really helps bring out the feeling of resource scarcity.

Why does it take a few weeks just to write down a few bullet points?

Why is everyone slobbering all over this? Have we become so complacent with how sad SWTOR is run and produced that something this simple and ridiculous makes us go crazy?

All you're doing is enabling this train of futility to keep on running since now the guy thinks that this is all it takes to keep everyone in line.

:\

Why is everyone slobbering all over this? Have we become so complacent with how sad SWTOR is run and produced that something this simple and ridiculous makes us go crazy?

All you're doing is enabling this train of futility to keep on running since now the guy thinks that this is all it takes to keep everyone in line.

Because it'll be the most "story" content this game has seen in over a year...

Speaks volumes doesn't it?!

I'm slobbering over it because of the promise of more/new story. That my beloved Scourge will be returned as well as any number of other things. I'm like a thirsty woman in the Sahara when it comes to the precious drops of life-enhancing joy this game can bring. I don't wish to stay thirsty, my friends. :)

Why? Simple, some people love operations, some love pvp and some love the story and lore about the game, not every story is told so its nice to see what happens to the galaxy that's no t centered around our player character.

As for why it takes so long for bullet points, they probably have to go through the producer and writers as they are unwritten, even if they know roughly its going to not be in a form easily translate to a blog post and I assume its also not the only thing they are working on.

And why wouldn't we be allowed to be happy over this? It doesn't excite you as much, okay sure, that is all fine. But don't go and shame those who are very happy to see this happen, because this is the part of SWTOR that we love, the story.

I don't care whether we get new PvE or PvP content, I hope we do for those who love it, but if we'd only get story stuff that would be fine by me. So can you blame me for being very happy about a state of the galaxy article? As a roleplayer it's what fascinates me most about the game, the lore and setting. Both of those are very important to me and for example for the hundreds of other roleplayers on the Darth Malgus server. Getting an article that details the current state of the setting and lore, especially if it will be detailed, is something absolutely amazing to us. To me it's like getting a new operation :)

Besides, we're not asking for a few bullet points. We're asking for an elaborate and detailed post about what the state of the galaxy is with zoom ins on various things. So get off the negativity train, my friend, and allow us to be happy about this ;)

Edited by Ylliarus

• 2 weeks later...
I think its hard to decide on this considering the Iokath storyline.

I am absolutely certain Charles Boyd will be creative enough to avoid setting an "official" version of the storyline while still being able to detail on the state of the Republic or the Empire :)

There is just a lot of vagueness on several points which would benefit alot from being cleared up, especially in light of having lore clarity, so to speak, for the upcoming story updates!

• 3 weeks later...
This is a great idea! I'll endeavor to put one together, either as a blog or forum post. It will probably be a few weeks at least though, so please be patient with me :)

Mr. Boyd! A question, if you will :) I was wondering how things were going with the State of the Galaxy article and whether we can expect it being launched in the coming weeks! Not meaning to rush you of course, I'd rather wait a while for this and have it be a solid piece than something hastily put together, so please do take your time!

Edited by Ylliarus

Mr. Boyd! A question, if you will :) I was wondering how things were going with the State of the Galaxy article and whether we can expect it being launched in the coming weeks! Not meaning to rush you of course, I'd rather wait a while for this and have it be a solid piece than something hastily put together, so please do take your time!

I'm wondering the same thing; It would be nice to get some word on this.

• 2 months later...

Mr. Boyd! Any new ETA on the State of the Galaxy article? :) it would be nice to be able to read about the current state of the galaxy before the new story update hits. It would create a solid foundation for what's been happening up until now.

Someone leaked the future game plots to him. He got out early before the mess arrived.

Maybe he'll be on the newly formed Dark Council that Charles Boyd spoke of! He mentioned the Dark Council was reformed after Acina's rise to power, so maybe she found Jadus, persuaded him to rejoin the Empire and he assumed control of Sith Intelligence?

Edited by Ylliarus

Maybe he'll be on the newly formed Dark Council that Charles Boyd spoke of! He mentioned the Dark Council was reformed after Acina's rise to power, so maybe she found Jadus, persuaded him to rejoin the Empire and he assumed control of Sith Intelligence?

That makes a lot of sense, since the Council was reformed. But who are the other members? We know Mortis is alive, but who else?

Anyway, i'd be more than happy to see Darth Jadus again.