New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

We do have a thread for the discussion of the hotbar cooldowns. Please continue your discussion in the ongoing thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=277883

Qishari | Community Representative

Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook

[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

... so we only have to disregard one post.

Thanks,

Dev Team

Have you noticed your keybinds light up if you can use that ability next? and they stay dull if you can't?

Thanks for pointing that out, helps me as a colorblind person (brightness is no problem). Still, now I have to stare at something even smaller. Which is awesome. I'd much rather be looking at 10 pt font than peripherally glance at a full action slot while actually watching the gameplay around me.

I think if they removed the flash it would be more appealing. I'm playing a Sage, but I can tell if I was playing a Melee or someone with more instant casts, I'd get over the flashing pretty fast. It's still better than it was before (for me). I like the white border, flashiness should be an interface option.

The thing I don't understand is how this ever made it into the live game, it's virtually unplayable now. You cant see anything that's happening with your skills and because the flashing is so in your face it is totally distracting from everything else on screen.

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

I agree- the new effects are too frenetic and unnecessary. It is now too difficult to see which skills are available.

Ew, Bioware.

Looks like I have a topic to cover on my Blog tomorrow. Personally I thnk its cool but I can see where the motion sickness comes from. SHould be optional if they do something like that. Not everyone enjoys flashing lights.

How bad is your eyesight? The numbers are massive in the current UI.

I can;t wait till i can edit this UI to make it smaller, it's far too big.

My vision is fine, maybe you play at some really crappy resolution? But my numbers are far from huge. And I only say that cause most games the UI tends to increase in size at lower resolutions. (Just got to work so can't test it for ToR)

I Just don't understand regardless though, how you can justify looking at a number a fraction of the size of the ability icon. To tell if an ability will be ready for use after the global is over, with the lightshow that goes on at a glance. This promotes further tunnel vision on the hotbars, which you were JUST trying to call people bad's about.

Please BW, just keep the abilities able to be used (not on cd) the normal colour while having the 'gcd' effect on it. as a powertech with mostly instant casts my buttons are constantly greyed out and made things a lot worse in pvp.

Alternatively put a number based cooldown display on each ability that has a CD that counts down from whatever the CD is to 0.

Edited by Exaro

I was just talking with a GM regarding the issue as the flashing lights have been giving me a headache.

The current suggested fix for the issue is too play without the UI showing you can do this by pressing Ctrl+U hope that helps and may the force be with you :D

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/mort316x/gm1.png

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/mort316x/gm2.png

The chat helped me out now I cant see anything but there's no flashing hotbar at least, the GM has sent my feedback on, hopefully we will get a fix soon!

For people who are having physical reactions to the the new gcd ui including headaches, nausea etc. This is a normal response that a large number of folks have to flashing lights and lighting in video games. It's a form of motion sickness occurring as a result of your brain not being able to make sense from conflicting inputs. It's been well documented for years in video games of all sorts. Unfortunately, your only cure is going to be limiting the amount of game play to less than it takes to trigger the reactions or stop playing/cancelling until the UI is changed, optional or modifiable.

My vision is fine, maybe you play at some really crappy resolution? But my numbers are far from huge. And I only say that cause most games the UI tends to increase in size at lower resolutions. (Just got to work so can't test it for ToR)

I Just don't understand regardless though, how you can justify looking at a number a fraction of the size of the ability icon. To tell if an ability will be ready for use after the global is over, with the lightshow that goes on at a glance. This promotes further tunnel vision on the hotbars, which you were JUST trying to call people bad's about.

1920x1080 21.5 inch HD monitor.

I find it easy to spot the number, and all I do is glance at it for less than a second.

Every player is different I guess.

My action bars in that other game, were a 1/4 of the size of the ones we have in SWTOR.

Or you can just look at your keybind and check if it is lit up or not.

Simple.

The change is horrible, its like bringing your car to a mechanic to change the tires, and he puts square rocks on instead of Firestones.

I dont look at my bars, I GLANCE at them, which is why the abilities need to be more apparent at a GLANCE.

Its not easy to see a tiny little number lit up, compared to a whole button. Stop being a fanboi to the max, we all love the game, we just want it to be done right.

Edited by Wekeltes

I'm guessing you're right in a pve environment things probably don't feel that different. You can sleepwalk through most of it using 2-4 skills, but in pvp where you use a lot more of your more situational abilities things get much more complicated.

As for the guy who always knows exactly how much rage he has and exactly when all his abilities come off CD all I can say is "bull@#$%". If that's the case then you're not using more than half of your abilities (again, probably a pve'er.)

Ah no I'm not just taking about PVE. As I said, just because it's working different for me and I find it's made things better that is another reason for custom options as my experience with the change appears to be opposite then yours.