Is SWTOR still canon?

Apophis_

One question: is it still canon? Because all my money I spend on EU is now worth NOTHING and I don't want to spend anything on something that is irrelevant to the whole Star Wars Universe. So is SWTOR canon or not? I don't want any speculation, I want statement. One simple question, I keep my sub on or I don't. Edited by Apophis_

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question: is it still canon? Because all my money I spend on EU is now worth NOTHING and I don't want to spent anything on something that is irrelevant to the whole Star Wars Universe. So is SWTOR canon or not? One simple question, I keep my sub on or I don't.

It's "Legends" now.

Being so far removed from the upcoming movies and related stories it's really unlikely much will get explicitly retconned or overwritten, but nothing in the official "canon" going forward is bound by SWTOR or any other content from the current (or is it "old" now?) EU.

Edited by DarthDymond

How is the money spent on EU stuff "worth nothing"?

Used books usually have little to no value anyway and only you can decide if the money spent was worth it in terms of enjoyment received from spending it.

No. I spent my money for official continuation of Star Wars Saga. SWTOR was official backstory for Star Wars Saga and used a lot from the EU. Now, since they stated everything that was published before "A New Dawn" is non-canon, why should I bother? I want official statement about SWTOR because I don't want to play a game that is irrelevant.

No. I spent my money for official continuation of Star Wars Saga. SWTOR was official backstory for Star Wars Saga and used a lot from the EU. Now, since they stated everything that was published before "A New Dawn" is non-canon, why should I bother? I want official statement about SWTOR because I don't want to play a game that is irrelevant.

did you watch the clip? It used a lot of swtor and kotor cutscenes and trailer-parts in it so it might probably still have some relevance, though as for it being canon they might not do anything that would jeopardize the game by telling people it never happened.

what is wrong with you?

anyway, the announcement was about post rotj EU material, that is the stuff that is now "legend". KOTOR as well as SWTOR stories and lore are not in conflict with the new movies or limiting the new movies in away. so it will remain as cannon.

and really, would you have wanted the new movies to be handcuffed to some of the bad post rotj EU stuff? its good that they are tossing it all. they hinted that they may incorporate some of the EU stuff into the new movies, so the really good stuff could still survive as canon.

did you watch the clip? It used a lot of swtor and kotor cutscenes and trailer-parts in it so it might probably still have some relevance, though as for it being canon they might not do anything that would jeopardize the game by telling people it never happened.

That same clip had plenty of footage showing off The Force Unleashed II, Dark Empire, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Han Solo at Star's End, and Heir to the Empire too. I really wouldn't read too much into that.

anyway, the announcement was about post rotj EU material, that is the stuff that is now "legend". KOTOR as well as SWTOR stories and lore are not in conflict with the new movies or limiting the new movies in away. so it will remain as cannon.

and really, would you have wanted the new movies to be handcuffed to some of the bad post rotj EU stuff? its good that they are tossing it all. they hinted that they may incorporate some of the EU stuff into the new movies, so the really good stuff could still survive as canon.

There are better stories in Post-RotJ EU than those told in Star Wars movies.

And why they have to be handcuffed? Just set new movies after Fate of the Jedi and use already established characters. Nothing difficult.

And they didn't said that KotOR and SWTOR are not in confitct with new materials. This is why I want an official statement from EA, BioWare or Lucasfilm Story Group. What if Abrams wants to create new backstory for the Sith Empire? They can do anything, and casual movie-goers will buy it.

One question: is it still canon? Because all my money I spend on EU is now worth NOTHING and I don't want to spend anything on something that is irrelevant to the whole Star Wars Universe. So is SWTOR canon or not? I don't want any speculation, I want statement. One simple question, I keep my sub on or I don't.

Do you enjoy playing the game? If you do then shouldn't that be the first metric on which you evaluate whether it's worth something to you?

Does it really matter? If you put money into this game AND EU expanded then the game conterdicts some of the EU star wars series. Kotor and swtor have no negative on "Canon" so what does it matter. Play the game for the sake of entertainment. BW already doesn't follow canon to a extent. If you play just because of its canon, your playing it for the wrong reason.

While on the one hand I'll admit my first thought after reading the OP was "wow, that's a weird reason to stop playing a game," on the other hand there sure are a lot of responses here that seem comfortable telling a person the "right" or "wrong" way to enjoy his entertainment media... not sure if that's any less weird.

There are better stories in Post-RotJ EU than those told in Star Wars movies.

And why they have to be handcuffed? Just set new movies after Fate of the Jedi and use already established characters. Nothing difficult.

And they didn't said that KotOR and SWTOR are not in confitct with new materials. This is why I want an official statement from EA, BioWare or Lucasfilm Story Group. What if Abrams wants to create new backstory for the Sith Empire? They can do anything, and casual movie-goers will buy it.

and lucas could have always done the same thing. the only "for sure" canon stuff has always been the movies and TCW series. that is the only stuff lucas viewed as canon and is the only stuff the new movies will view as stuff they HAVE to adhere to. so why all of the fake outrage now?

Edited by MiaRB

One question: is it still canon?

Even if it is, it doesn't matter, canon gets retconned all the time. Luke and Leia being related was a retcon, originally there was going to be a bit of a love triangle with Leia, Luke, and Han, that is why Luke and Leia got a little tongue action going in ESB.

and lucas could have always done the same thing. the only "for sure" canon stuff has always been the movies and TCW series. that is the only stuff lucas viewed as canon and is the only stuff the new movies will view as stuff they HAVE to adhere to. so why all of the fake outrage now?

To be fair, under the old system the only media that could have ignored SWTOR was The Clone Wars, since that was the only G-Canon work in production.

Every other piece of media being produced, the novels, comics, video games, etc. would have been treating SWTOR as canon - and anything Clone Wars did retcon would have been reconciled as closely as possible with SWTOR in those other sources (i.e. a future Legacy comic would probably have still called the Sith homeworld "Korriban" they'd just also be sure the throw in a line somewhere that said "it was once also known as Moraband").

Under the new unified system all Star Wars media, from the new Del Rey books to the new Marvel comics, are going to be free to ignore the old C-Canon just as freely as Clone Wars was.

Edited by DarthDymond

To be fair, under the old system the only media that could have ignored SWTOR was The Clone Wars, since that was the only G-Canon work in production.

Every other piece of media being produced, the novels, comics, video games, etc. would have been treating SWTOR as canon - and anything Clone Wars did retcon would have been reconciled as closely as possible with SWTOR in those other sources (i.e. a future Legacy comic would probably have still called the Sith homeworld "Korriban" they'd just also be sure the throw in a line somewhere that said "it was once also known as Moraband").

Under the new unified system all Star Wars media, from the new Del Rey books to the new Marvel comics, are going to be free to ignore the old C-Canon just as freely as Clone Wars was.

"While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels."

all new star wars media is controlled by the "Story group". so no, some comic writer or novel author cant just freely choose to ignore previous lore on a whim.

"While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels."

all new star wars media is controlled by the "Story group". so no, some comic writer or novel author cant just freely choose to ignore previous lore on a whim.

The Story Group is going to be in charge of making sure that things in the new Canon remain consistent with each other, not that they respect anything in the "Legends".

They'll make sure the Tarkin novel doesn't contradict Rebels, and the Episode VIII doesn't contradict New Dawn, but they aren't going to say "sorry that contradicts Shadows of the Empire, you can't do that" - that's the whole point of labeling all the old C-Canon as "Legends" now.

They are spinning the news as "not being discarded" based on the fact that future stories may choose to include some old elements they like - but all that's saying is that they might end up doing what Lucas himself did when he chose to include Aayla Secura in Episode II or the Nightsisters in The Clone Wars. And just like with the Nightsisters example, they can make whatever changes they want, just like Clone Wars did.

Swtor, and and Kotor 1+2 are all still canon. The story group (the people behind retconning the canon) support the TOR era content. Besides, the content is so far removed from what the general public knows (Episodes 1-6) that it would be a gamble to make a movie off of a time period very few are familiar with.

The Story Group is going to be in charge of making sure that things in the new Canon remain consistent with each other, not that they respect anything in the "Legends".

They'll make sure the Tarkin novel doesn't contradict Rebels, and the Episode VIII doesn't contradict New Dawn, but they aren't going to say "sorry that contradicts Shadows of the Empire, you can't do that" - that's the whole point of labeling all the old C-Canon as "Legends" now.

They are spinning the news as "not being discarded" based on the fact that future stories may choose to include some old elements they like - but all that's saying is that they might end up doing what Lucas himself did when he chose to include Aayla Secura in Episode II or the Nightsisters in The Clone Wars. And just like with the Nightsisters example, they can make whatever changes they want, just like Clone Wars did.

they are doing the same thing as the people over at lucasfilm have been doing in regards to what is and isn't canon. it is really not different at all. the main difference is the story group seems to have more say or will be directing what kind of stories are told by authors. instead of the old way where new content was just put forth with no direction or connection at all, other than trying not to conflict with other canon.

you want to put a negative spin on it all by saying that they don't care about ANY previous EU material and are only interested in things from now forward( which does include SWTOR by the way ). but the idea that they will all of a sudden let authors change previous EU material on a whim is just kind of silly. the fact that all previous EU material is still available for new stories to draw on, says that they are not going to just let people discard EU lore just because they feel like it or without a compelling reason.

what is wrong with you?

It isnt just Post-ROTJ. The darth plagueis novel and Darth Bane novel are also considered "legends" by a senior LFL employee. The old republic era IS NOT SAFE.

It isnt just Post-ROTJ. The darth plagueis novel and Darth Bane novel are also considered "legends" by a senior LFL employee. The old republic era IS NOT SAFE.

its not any less safe than it was the day KOTOR was released. they could have totally disregarded KOTOR lore in a TCW episode if they wanted to. just like they can disregard it if they decide to make a old republic era movie now. but the only reason to make a old republic era movie would be because BW made that era popular. so I just don't see them tossing it all out the window just because they can.

also, just because darth bane novel has legends label doesn't mean they are just tossing it in the trash bin. it just means that new movies or media isn't beholden to it. just has the prequals wouldn't have been and how TCW wasn't bound to it.

The old republic era IS NOT SAFE.

But does it matter?

I mean the GIST of this game's plot is still solid as it is fairly, albeit indirectly, tied to the very essence of the first trilogy. An 'old republic' that survived for thousands of years, served by the Jedi, spanning thousands of solar systems, in conflict with the Sith. Sure, Korriban is no longer what it once was ... but should that shatter the OP's world? I'd hope not.

I never branched out into reading the SW novels mainly because I always assumed they were fan fiction and not canon. I always assumed SW video games were canon because of their official Lucas Arts license. I've since done some research and learned about the various levels of SW canon (which are now meaningless).

Even though SWTOR is canon today we can't assume it will be tomorrow. When the time comes that Disney wants to do a movie(s) or TV show(s) about events happening in the days of the Old Republic there would already be a precedent for wiping existing content from a given time period from canon, and that worries me.

Edited by Delta_Fixer