Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Game Has Improved SIGNIFIGANTLY

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Game Has Improved SIGNIFIGANTLY

XxHazenxX
08.15.2019 , 02:10 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by WaveRun View Post
SWTOR has beeen getting lots o love
Uh if you're talking about a game getting lots of love, I think you've mistaken SWTOR for ESO or FFXIV... because if you take a look at the SWTOR update history, I think it shows quite the opposite. This is objectively one of the least updated modern and active MMOs on the market bud.

Before SWTOR, I played SWG from 2004-2011 when it shut down, so I was mostly used to making my own content since that's the type of game SWG was, which I loved (It wasn't really until Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obi-Wan that SWG got actual story content updates). Anyway, I've been here with SWTOR since the website and forums opened. If you look, I was the 6389th person to join the forums out of however many millions now. That doesn't mean anything on it's own I know, but I'm just trying to say I've literally been here and active since THE beginning with an active sub from launch to present day.

I say all that to say this: It wasn't until very recently (last few months) when I dove into ESO that I understood what ACTUAL content updates on a regular basis really are. There's a reason why ESO is one of the top MMOs going right now and SWTOR is nowhere close. It's because Zenimax is working their asses off pushing out compelling and thoughtful content while EAWare is going years without the amount of content to match even one ESO DLC (not even expansion... just DLC...). As I've said, I've been a loyal defender of SWTOR for years and years, but honestly, EAWare should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves with how bad other MMO companies with IPs that aren't even 25% as interesting or rich as Star Wars are wiping the floor with them.

TLDR: The phrase "is getting lots of love" and "SWTOR" are like water and oil.
SWG-Flurry
<DFR> Big-N-Buff | Burn'ing Chaos | Big-N-Tough <DFR>
July 10, 2004 - December 15, 2011

Rolodome
08.15.2019 , 03:06 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
As this thread shows once again: opinions about it are split. And that's OK. I would just prefer if people stop speaking for others when they make their personal points. And kudos to BW for understanding that the opinion is split and the best idea is to cater to all factions as much as possible. Now fingers crossed that they get it done right.
I doubt it's even close to split. Most of the people angry at GC just left. That's always going to skew anecdotal observations, since it's based off the people who remain and thus presumably are the least upset with, or like the most, the system they are dealing with.

As for the idea of GC lingering, I'm convinced it's only lingering as a supplemental system because EAWare is obsessed with lootboxes and shoving them on people. They've been ruthless in the past about trashing entire systems, some of which seemed to be pretty well liked. Yet they're hanging on to part of GC, seemingly one of the most unpopular systems this game has ever had? It's weird and I doubt it's in good faith trying to appeal to different players. Unless it's just the pop is so low at this point, they feel they have no choice but to pander to who remains.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

robertthebard
08.15.2019 , 07:01 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by FourPawnBenoni View Post
If you have to ask, I'm not sure you qualify as a player
I always love this kind of thing. So, what exactly would qualify one to be a "player"? Being on board with every negative agenda posted? Kneeling to the "we know better than you what you enjoy" crowd? Guess I'm never going to be a player, and all my progression raiding, back when I gave a damn about it, doesn't mean anything. I used to solo FPs back before there were SMs to carry one through. It was fun, and challenging, and, I thought, made me a player. I guess not, because I'd have to ask what is meant by "allowing us to thrive" as well. I thought I was "thriving" pretty well, when I played.

Now I'm not thrilled with the F2P model, but, and this will really shock people like you, this model existed long before 5.0. "but they removed the passes" doesn't mean anything to me, if I'm playing, I'm subbed. I also love "nobody asked for it" being thrown around like someone actually polled the entirety of the player base to find out, instead of just pulling it out of their *** to support their hurt feelings, or whatever. My biggest complaint is the lack of speed in getting my comps back, which is why the vast majority of my alts haven't even started it, which, guess what, is "playing the way I want", and "thriving". I don't expect that to change either, so despite the hyperbole being thrown around by the nay sayers, I'm still going to be able to play how I want.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

ZionHalcyon
08.15.2019 , 07:50 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post
Uh if you're talking about a game getting lots of love, I think you've mistaken SWTOR for ESO or FFXIV... because if you take a look at the SWTOR update history, I think it shows quite the opposite. This is objectively one of the least updated modern and active MMOs on the market bud.

Before SWTOR, I played SWG from 2004-2011 when it shut down, so I was mostly used to making my own content since that's the type of game SWG was, which I loved (It wasn't really until Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obi-Wan that SWG got actual story content updates). Anyway, I've been here with SWTOR since the website and forums opened. If you look, I was the 6389th person to join the forums out of however many millions now. That doesn't mean anything on it's own I know, but I'm just trying to say I've literally been here and active since THE beginning with an active sub from launch to present day.

I say all that to say this: It wasn't until very recently (last few months) when I dove into ESO that I understood what ACTUAL content updates on a regular basis really are. There's a reason why ESO is one of the top MMOs going right now and SWTOR is nowhere close. It's because Zenimax is working their asses off pushing out compelling and thoughtful content while EAWare is going years without the amount of content to match even one ESO DLC (not even expansion... just DLC...). As I've said, I've been a loyal defender of SWTOR for years and years, but honestly, EAWare should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves with how bad other MMO companies with IPs that aren't even 25% as interesting or rich as Star Wars are wiping the floor with them.

The issue is the core philosophy of BioWare - they are actually OK with people taking a break from the game and just coming back when there is new content. No joke - its their business model.

So unless they ever change that model and try to focus on retention, nothing is going to change. They are actually ok with how things are right now...

robertthebard
08.15.2019 , 10:33 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
The issue is the core philosophy of BioWare - they are actually OK with people taking a break from the game and just coming back when there is new content. No joke - its their business model.

So unless they ever change that model and try to focus on retention, nothing is going to change. They are actually ok with how things are right now...
It's not just their business model, it's a fact of MMOs. I belonged to a multiple MMO guild; they would fire up one depending on content releases, consistently. There are progression raiding guilds that literally do this with every game they play, and they've been at it for longer than there's been a swtor to claim it's somehow some kind of failing with BioWare. By all means, trash 'em when they have it coming, but this? It's a common thing in MMOs, and anyone that's played more than one or two will know it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

WaveRun
08.15.2019 , 11:07 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by XxHazenxX View Post

I've played SWG and my user rank is way lower than yours at 362344. What are you? 600k something lol?. Not sure the point you are making but OK. I've been here since the beginning too bud, almost double the users before you. Were you even in the NDA beta?

Subscriber Since Day 1 PROUD Pre-order AND CE Holder
Coming Back? Already Returned? Use my R-A-F Link For BONUS!!! Items
Bolsteroids <Coronet United News Team> Jedi Knight | Waverunner <Problematic> Inquisitor

Transcendent
08.15.2019 , 11:55 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by KoriVash View Post
I for one have no issue with GC at all and think it's far better than what was there before.
GC at launch was the primary method of gearing in SWTOR, it excluded free to play players by them not having access to it or to the rewards (including gearing contained within that system). Alongside the removal of free to play passes for content, essentially the game became subscriber only if you actually wanted to play the content.

Any game developer that values progression systems need not rely on the total crux that RNG is, it was a mess when introduced and only slightly improved with later additions to the system.

Prior to GC players could simply play the content and actually participate in all of that content (subscriber and free to play alike), and were able to gear themselves without relying on the crux of an RNG based system. Tokens were earned at varying rates depending on content type, which could be exchanged for gear.

As much as one individual may like GC, I'd lay a bet that there is another individual that didn't like the system (in fact I took a break from the game because of the RNG crux used and half hearted attempts to improve the system). If 6.0 removes that system and exchanges it for something more progressive in terms of gearing characters, I'd welcome that change. I'd probably see value in retaining my subscription instead of popping back once every now and then, mainly because I'd feel like I can progress my characters and not rely on a luck based system for gearing.
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print

XxHazenxX
08.15.2019 , 12:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
It's not just their business model, it's a fact of MMOs. I belonged to a multiple MMO guild; they would fire up one depending on content releases, consistently. There are progression raiding guilds that literally do this with every game they play, and they've been at it for longer than there's been a swtor to claim it's somehow some kind of failing with BioWare. By all means, trash 'em when they have it coming, but this? It's a common thing in MMOs, and anyone that's played more than one or two will know it.
People leaving and coming back is a fact of MMOs, of course, but the update structure/schedule/effort in SWTOR is objectively one of the worst, if not the worst of any "story-driven" MMO to date. That's not OK and why other MMOs (like ESO and FFXIV) currently are, and have been, wiping the floor with SWTOR.
SWG-Flurry

XxHazenxX
08.15.2019 , 12:45 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by WaveRun View Post
I've played SWG and my user rank is way lower than yours at 362344. What are you? 600k something lol?. Not sure the point you are making but OK. I've been here since the beginning too bud, almost double the users before you. Were you even in the NDA beta?
What are you even talking about?
SWG-Flurry

FourPawnBenoni
08.15.2019 , 10:32 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I always love this kind of thing. So, what exactly would qualify one to be a "player"? Being on board with every negative agenda posted? Kneeling to the "we know better than you what you enjoy" crowd? Guess I'm never going to be a player, and all my progression raiding, back when I gave a damn about it, doesn't mean anything. I used to solo FPs back before there were SMs to carry one through. It was fun, and challenging, and, I thought, made me a player. I guess not, because I'd have to ask what is meant by "allowing us to thrive" as well. I thought I was "thriving" pretty well, when I played.

Now I'm not thrilled with the F2P model, but, and this will really shock people like you, this model existed long before 5.0. "but they removed the passes" doesn't mean anything to me, if I'm playing, I'm subbed. I also love "nobody asked for it" being thrown around like someone actually polled the entirety of the player base to find out, instead of just pulling it out of their *** to support their hurt feelings, or whatever. My biggest complaint is the lack of speed in getting my comps back, which is why the vast majority of my alts haven't even started it, which, guess what, is "playing the way I want", and "thriving". I don't expect that to change either, so despite the hyperbole being thrown around by the nay sayers, I'm still going to be able to play how I want.
Let me give you a hint. Lets start with the release of 5.0 and then before 6.0 servers had to merge. You can try and pump sunshine all you want but you're out of touch with the community.

2nd hint ( since you seem to need them): a lot of players left