NINJAS! We know who you are!

Well... We will...

Hi guys and girls,

For those of you sitting at your computer thinking "What the **** have Ninjas got to do with Star Wars?" let me explain...

A Ninja/Loot Jawa is a player who takes loot to which he or she is not entitled.

So you could be in a Flashpoint and this really nice weapon drops which is super awesome for you. But... What’s this...? "Random Loot Jawa receives super awesome weapon." So you find yourself thinking... "Well maybe he/she does need it." During the rest of the encounter you notice said Jawa isn't using the weapon. He/she's the right level for the item. He/she can use it. Why isn't... JAWAA! THE GUY OR GIRL IS A JAWA. That is the only reason.

Of course we can't say Loot Jawas will be rife in SW:TOR but if they are present and making a nuisance of themselves this is what we, as a community, do to stop them:

1.) Place them on your ignore list.

2.) With the others in the group tell the community who this Jawa is. (More than two sources to confirm he is a Loot Jawa.)

3.) The community in turn adds this Jawa to their ignore list. This stops the Jawa from grouping with them in the future.

It won't be too long until this Jawas' server reputation hits rock bottom; he/she can’t group easily and overall will have wasted his/her time levelling their character...

This isn't fool proof but it certainly will make Loot Jawas think twice before engaging in their fetish.

Most of the older MMO community will already know this, but consider this a gentle reminder.

Peace!

Show some community spirit! :)

(Edit: For Jawas)

Edited by Squaty
Edit: For Jawas

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with this is soon my ignore list is full. :eek:

I'd much prefer the restrictions apply at the base of the need greed mechanic itself. If we are going to be stuck with this type of (IMO) inherently flawed loot system, I'd like to see the policing put into the system itself.

IE:

Unable to need the item if it is not for your class. Obviously mods are going to be a wrinkle in this.

If you need the item it's exclusive, bind to character on pickup, and worth 1 credit until equipped.

You are able to trade an item between players for either a limited time, or while in the instance, to allow for the whoops wrong button issue.

A graphical indicator on what choice your fellow players have chosen, save time reading chat logs.

That's all I can think of for now.

I like "Loot Jawa"; very fitting!

Don't forget to assume good faith in some cases. My beta experience with TOR was actually the first time I had ever encountered the need/greed mechanic (not a big MMO player) and, because I attached a negative connotation to "greed", I kept selecting "need" until I stopped to think about it and asked one of my subsequent groups. (For some reason I thought "greed" was sort of like an auction and you'd bid on it if you really wanted it... don't ask me what I was thinking, I'm not sure, but I definitely had it backwards and I wasn't trying to "steal" from my group.)

Nobody had said anything about it to me, but I do wish I could have gone back to them and said, "Oops, sorry about that." Most people probably know better than I did, so you're probably right, but it may be worth pointing it out to them and see if they're behavior changes before you /lootjawa them into oblivion. Just a thought. :o

Edited by SnowHeart

I would really like to see a system where items that bind to your character when you pick them up can be traded to other members of that group within 1-2 hours or so. It's a system that could make some Jawas to give the item to the one that had the best use for it, and it encourages being patient with other players.

Yes, a flaw of this would be that two people could roll on something and then give it to the other to increase their chances, but I don't see the issue with that since you play with people from your server, and as such there will be consequences to that behavior. Combined with a need/greed based on what classes actually can use I think it will be neat, since then you can also trade items to other players who may like it for their companion or whatever.

1.) Place them on your ignore list.

2.) With the others in the group tell the community who this ninja is. (More than two sources to confirm he is a ninja.)

3.) The community in turn adds this ninja to their ignore list. This stops the ninja from grouping with them in the future.

It won't be too long until this ninjas' server reputation hits rock bottom; he/she can’t group easily and overall will have wasted his/her time levelling his character...

Whilst well meaning it's not very well thought out.

What do we do about the vindictive and the chaotic? Say I come to your server with a couple of friends and make up complaints about your activities. All of a sudden a sizeable chunk of your server thinks you are a nin-- I mean Loot jawa.

It's a good idea in principle but relies heavily on the very trust that was betrayed when the loot was jawa'd in the first place....

Whilst well meaning it's not very well thought out.

What do we do about the vindictive and the chaotic? Say I come to your server with a couple of friends and make up complaints about your activities. All of a sudden a sizeable chunk of your server thinks you are a nin-- I mean Loot jawa.

It's a good idea in principle but relies heavily on the very trust that was betrayed when the loot was jawa'd in the first place....

This is also the most common reason to why such matters are almost without exception absolutely forbidden to discuss in an open forum. Like here.

So if I go here to the forum and yell "MrBadDoDo is a loot jawa plx all ignore him/her" I can probably expect to see the post removed and/or get a temporary ban.

Here's my issue and maybe you can help me. Everyone complains about Ninja looters and I understand the concept and why it would be a problem.

Here's the problem I have though. How are you supposed to be able to tell in the middle of a firefight at a glance, that the item is something you need or not? I'm serious. I know I'm probably going to get laughed at for this but I mean it. An item pops up and I'm supposed to make a split second decision about that item all while I'm monitoring my health bar, spamming attacks on an enemy and dodging return fire. I don't know how I can do that. But if I guess wrong, if I hit need instead of greed or need when I should have passed, than suddenly I'm a Ninja looter and it's ignore city.

How do you deal with that? Do you just wait until the firefight is over and then choose? What do you do? :confused:

Thanks.

I have a rule when dealing with people, never assume a thing is done out of maliciousness, or greed when incompetence can explain it.

ie . . . ask if they understand the loot is not good for their class . . .it might surprise you in a new game that not everyone knows whats good for them.

Edited by Xzulld

Here's my issue and maybe you can help me. Everyone complains about Ninja looters and I understand the concept and why it would be a problem.

Here's the problem I have though. How are you supposed to be able to tell in the middle of a firefight at a glance, that the item is something you need or not? I'm serious. I know I'm probably going to get laughed at for this but I mean it. An item pops up and I'm supposed to make a split second decision about that item all while I'm monitoring my health bar, spamming attacks on an enemy and dodging return fire. I don't know how I can do that. But if I guess wrong, if I hit need instead of greed or need when I should have passed, than suddenly I'm a Ninja looter and it's ignore city.

How do you deal with that? Do you just wait until the firefight is over and then choose? What do you do? :confused:

Thanks.

The answer is obvious, you said it urself, you wait until the fight is over!... it might help to communicate to your group to please not loot until after the fight :)

there is no such thing as a ninja looter.

Sorry but the devs just dont care. They dint care in WoW they wont care here.

Rule # 1 of MMO. Ninja or be ninjaed.

Go right ahead... And enjoy getting kicked from groups when you do and start copping attitude when called on it.

Man, lootjawas or ninjas, will always be a part of the MMO. Most of you are talking in a dungeon or flashpoint what have you. The most annoying type of loot ninja or loot jawa is the one that you have to fight for that node and along comes johnny and takes the node as you fight the mob to get to it. That is the most annoying. All you can do is say something in text and move on. Ignore them if you want but its my experience to just let ot be after you have said something in general. Besides a day later you probably will have even forgot why that person was on your ignore list.

(Lol and you thought stealth wasn't good for anything in this game?)

Man, lootjawas or ninjas, will always be a part of the MMO. Most of you are talking in a dungeon or flashpoint what have you. The most annoying type of loot ninja or loot jawa is the one that you have to fight for that node and along comes johnny and takes the node as you fight the mob to get to it. That is the most annoying. All you can do is say something in text and move on. Ignore them if you want but its my experience to just let ot be after you have said something in general. Besides a day later you probably will have even forgot why that person was on your ignore list.

(Lol and you thought stealth wasn't good for anything in this game?)

My way around this is to make my companion tank all the mobs, then rush grab the node and get fighting. Can't do it until you get that first companion though so lowbie lootjawa's still steal them

Howdy,

Just got the chance to reply.

I see some people saying what about incompetence and other perfectly reasonable "accidents" to do with ninj... Jawaing (I love that term!)

Well to be honest i know on forums everything is in black and white, but read between the lines a little. You wouldn't let a Jawa take your item without saying "Hey... Why did you do that?"

So i think you have to talk about it within your group too... not run sreaming "JAWAAAAAA" to the forums.

But i suppose the bottom line of what i was getting at was the sence of community which we can build within our servers.

How about you make this a rule: Everyone press NEED instead of GREED

That way, everyone has a fair chance and no one can ninja.

Have a nice day :)

Right, so the person who actually NEEDS the item as an upgrade has as much chance of getting it as the person who'll AH or vendor it. Great thinking!

And how do you find people to recruit to your guild without grouping with some randoms? Ignoring the community is a great way for your guild to grow stagnant.

Recruiting players should not be an issue at all because this game will be full of them for the first couple of months...and I'm sure a large chunk of players will be guild searching once they get their server locked in...

Also, it's not so much ignoring the community at all, but there are guilds for a reason...

I gotta say the whole need/greed thing was very new to me during the beta test and it wasn't until I grouped with a helpful MMO vet that was kind enough to point out to me, "I didn't think you stacked that stat..."

I replied, "Huh?" and thus the quick tutorial began. They we very helpful to me in explaining that up until that point I had been a loot "jawa" and that it only made sense to share in the looting for those who were capable of using it first. Boy, I must've been pissing some people off... but no one ever said anything.

I think there is simple solution, especially understanding that this is a new game at launch and that there will be plenty of people like me (who don't really do MMOs much and are here to play a kick *** Star Wars game) in the game. Would just be clear to anyone you group with what the "looting" rules are. If after that they keep doing it anyway, that's when I'd block, kick or whatever it is you want to do. My guess is most people don't even realize what it is they are doing.

I also saw Need and Greed and thought that need sounded less harmful than greed (being the Jedi that I was) and clicked that every time. I guess I thought if I greeded it, that it would be like an underhanded take of the loot... I don't know, I hadn't done it before.

In any event learning this way actually helped me in the long run. I ended up doing some research on how MMOs and their communities work, asked a friend who used to play WoW and got an idea of what can go on. It can be quite a lot for a new player to take in, especially when no one tells them they're breaking unwritten rules, and instead just stops talking to them.