Display Name Only Log In Now Live

AmberGreen

Been using my display name for a couple of weeks now with no problem. Today's update creates this event at game login with 100% consistency...I can no longer play the game, thank you very much:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: swtor.exe

Application Version: 1.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 51547cc6

Fault Module Name: unknown

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 7468e2d4

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The link to Origin hasn't changed at all - there is a promotion happening across some other EA games that you must have hit the criteria for, which meant that you have been sent the pet. I'm jealous, I don't have the pet myself!

But you DID say Subscribers will be getting those pets too, right?

im haveing the same problem

Login problems are not universal. I ran this update on two separate machines and both log me in and load the game with no issues. It was mentioned earlier that there is another thread discussing these problems, so you might get more resolution there.

Login problems are not universal. I ran this update on two separate machines and both log me in and load the game with no issues. It was mentioned earlier that there is another thread discussing these problems, so you might get more resolution there.

*** help us out here.

I can get why they did this. But I think its dumb. I think its a way easier thing to have some security questions that you only know and that you can remember instead of going to your email every couple logins to get a one time pass word. Also with the display names someone could just try to get onto my account easier now. Hey everyone I posted something on the fourm and that means you can see my display name you already have half of my log in, your welcome.

Ok I will try and say this nicely.

I dont mind login in with my nickname . However the whole one time email thing is really annoying. Because of my provider an the way I am set up every time I start my computer I get an new IP adress, This means that EVRY time I log in I need to get a new one time password. Before I just had to answer questions for wich I knew the answer. Now it is : 1. Login 2 WAIT for password. 3. copy paste the password.

So while I admire the effort to improve things I would qualify this as a big pain in the lower back.

Regards

The link to Origin hasn't changed at all - there is a promotion happening across some other EA games that you must have hit the criteria for, which meant that you have been sent the pet. I'm jealous, I don't have the pet myself!

This question (and others) are covered in my post from a couple of weeks ago: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612230

The game crashing bugs are covered in other threads - please keep this thread specific to the authentication changes.

Those other threads cannot be found by anyone so every time you guys screw this up for everyone in the world, it will go on every thread possible.

THANKS A LOT BIOWARE FOR DESTROYING THE GAME ONCE AGAIN

Cannot log in

I have used display name, enter the correct PW, use my security key, and I get the startup screen before character selection, and then crash to desktop.

Forget this - I have been a sub since launch, time to cancel unless this is fixed VERY soon.

Ok I will try and say this nicely.

I dont mind login in with my nickname . However the whole one time email thing is really annoying. Because of my provider an the way I am set up every time I start my computer I get an new IP adress, This means that EVRY time I log in I need to get a new one time password. Before I just had to answer questions for wich I knew the answer. Now it is : 1. Login 2 WAIT for password. 3. copy paste the password.

So while I admire the effort to improve things I would qualify this as a big pain in the lower back.

Regards

I'll second this, a second time. KidRaid, you did an excellent job of saying it nicely! ;)

BIOWARE thanks for the great patch, bugs again. I hoped you recognized the problem with launcher when , I enter my display name and pass and click login IT CRASHES and stays on that screen, doesnt give me the chance to download the stupid patch just thinks for as much time as I leave it without loggin in. RECOGNIZE your buggs and fix them because I am sub for half an year and this is just unreal.... I had 15 bugg for my chars and launcher and everything else connected with the game. Never had that problem with Blizzard. If you dont start fixing your buggs you will loose subs, just like the whole time till now. Start using ingame admins that can help people not stupid ticket "droid" outside the game and then wait for the next or even the patch after to fix your bugg.... Blizzard admins fixed everything for 5 mins ingame in WoW. Are the games that different?

And about the bugg, really do smth about it because my launcher doesnt even start patching, and I am aftraid that you just post new patch to fix this one I wont be able to play anymore, which means end of my sub.

Edited by CallmeMarryJ

I had the same issue. I went into the system files, ran the fix launcher, tried again and it worked. Not sure if it will for everyone but just throwing that out there.

Where are those? I ran search and couldn't find them.

I was against this change when it was originally announced, but after reading discussions about it and some of the many other security defenses in place I feel good about this change and am confident that the swtor security dept. really knows what they're doing.

I am not bothered with this new login thing except for some reason when I open up the launcher it stays for 3 seconds long enough for me to see "Launcher updating" and then it shuts off and a message box turns up saying "only one application can be open at a time" this has been going on ALL DAY!!! Pray tell what the HELL is going on?? :)

im having the same problem i double click the launcher it automacticaly loads up then 3 seconds later shutsdown something about launcher is been updated , and then promts a small box say, only one instance of this application can be opend, 2days now this has been going on

Trying to bring this back onto the topic of new authentication method and problems associated with it (black screens and crashes are being solved elsewhere, really guys). Some reply from Philip_BW or some other responsible "yellow" would be great.

It seems that people without security keys and with ISPs that rotate dynamic IPs like crazy are the most affected by this problem.

-

I am assuming that the One Time Password occurs only when the launcher does not recognize your current IP. This creates problem with Dynamic IPs, as mentioned above. If I am mistaken, please discount the suggestion.

-

Given the apparent problems this otherwise great security upgrade caused, are there any plans to maybe make the check for MAC address instead of IP address? If I understand the system correctly, it would solve the problem of launcher not recognizing the current machine, and using One-Time Password would add the current machine to a "verified" list.

Edited by Aries_cz

Ive given up I cant even get past the login screen like talking to a brick wall , no answers from bio no help,same problem time and time and time again. getting bored I am not phoning again waiting 2 hours for the game not to be fixed. Have to wait for bio to recognise the problem and then sort it. I hate these forums don't like being on them, the sooner the problem is sorted the faster I can leave.

My game crashes to, just as if it was never on. This happend right after the patch. it crashes right befer the character select screen. I hope this gets fixed soon... :(