Rampant cheating in huttball

roadrunnerNM

I'm seeing people suddenly flick from one position to another. Like just now: a player just suddenly moved from the corner of the top ramp to the middle of the middle bottom ramp. No way is that a glitch! I've also been seeing a lot of other moves that look like position hacking: people suddenly darting forward over obstacles, for instance. I guess huttball is a good target since position hacking can really help. No more huttball for me. And how pathetic and small do you have to be to want to cheat in a video game?

I'm seeing people suddenly flick from one position to another. Like just now: a player just suddenly moved from the corner of the top ramp to the middle of the middle bottom ramp. No way is that a glitch! I've also been seeing a lot of other moves that look like position hacking: people suddenly darting forward over obstacles, for instance. I guess huttball is a good target since position hacking can really help. No more huttball for me. And how pathetic and small do you have to be to want to cheat in a video game?

Not a hack. You can thank this game's wonderful engine for that.

Not a hack. You can thank this game's wonderful engine for that.

This. Operatives, snipers, jugs, maras mercs, pts, and assassins all have at least one movement ability that can look glitched out or flickering to other players. Sucks, but it's an engine issue, not a hack.

There is lots of lag affects at the moment for some reason. Seems to get worse with every major content release or major class changes. I’m sure the server mergers didn’t help.

I personally had a situation yesterday where I fell through the top platform in regular Hutt Ball, only to reappear 2 seconds later where I’d just been. It was very disorienting.

I’ve seen what you describe and while it is possibly a positional hack, it’s really hard to tell at the moment while this sort of lag and bugs happen. That doesn’t mean it’s not a hack because what better way to hide what you are doing then when it’s difficult for people to see the difference.

I’ve also been falling through the floor in certain maps on my Jugg when I leap. Next thing I’m falling to my death on a white screen. This was happening about 18 months ago and the bug was reported. Bioware fixed it back then, hopefully they’ll fix it again soon.

I feel your frustration and can fully understand why you’re boycotting HB

It's called "dsync".

This, so much this. 99% of the things people assume to be hacks in huttball or simply the result of a crappy game engine.

I no longer play Queshball at all due to it as it seems to have gotten worse since the merge/migration to the east coast even moreson than normal huttball. I'm regularly shooting at people i think are in front of me that have already scored behind me.

Thats not a hack, thats not cheating, its none of those things, its simply a matter of your game client not updating properly.

Please, before i you make these kind of irresponsible accusations, know your facts.

Now then, if someone is scoring a goal before the game even starts... different discussion, but people under floors or warping across the screen... simply the result of bad engine thats never been addressed.

It is actually desync. Protip, jumping forces a sync of your position on the server. You can check this by trying to run through acid from the three quarters point, then jumping from the three quarters point.

You will find you stop taking damage later while running , wheras jumping you stop taking damage more quickly. This is probably because swtor needs to know when you're falling so it calls a different function for falling when it knows you have jumped. Swtor has a sort of 'prediction' code going on in the background as far as I can tell, if you run forward during a hypergate toward the explosion from the respawn point you will die while still inside of the respawn area on your screen.

So it's a bit of a conundrum, the code is obviously just a wee bit off as the server interprets your location ahead of time based on prediction. Whereas while under acid it is for some reason not as efficient, it must predict that you are in a general area while moving, but when you just jump you immediately call a function that designates a very specific spot as being your new location. At least that is my interpretation based on some vague tests (as well as you can while you're having fun/playing a game and not a job).

Huttball is extremely buggy. Majority of the time it’s hard to even know where a player is because they warp downstairs or disappear completely if they go on a ramp. On top of that there is other bugs I can’t even explain one of which happened this weekend where I was able to score twice with a huttball.

After I scored I still had the ball and later walked in to score again: https://clips.twitch.tv/ArtisticLovelyPuppyArsonNoSexy

OK, look, I know what desync is, and I know what I saw, and it wasn't desync. If it were lag, the player would have just appeared at the new position without gently flying from the corner of the top platform (original huttball) to the lower middle ramp in a manner impossible without hacking. I see I shouldn't have used the word "flick" in my original post.

I saw something similar in a voidstar later that day: a player flew from the floor to the top of the wing of the shuttle on the west side of the first area.Yes, it was a jugg, but no, he wasn't jumping to another player, friend or foe. I call hax. And yes, it pisses me off.

I ran into an oddity today in Huttball that I'm wondering if it was a cheat. I don't know that it was hacking, but it was weird enough to wonder if it was an exploit of some kind.

Twice when I was about to kill a Merc I was attacking he just vanished, one early in the match and once near the end. No stuttering, no reappearing anywhere else nearby (so it wasn't a Sorc pull or rocket out), just gone. It looked exactly like when a class with stealth stealths out, except of course Mercs don't have that ability. The first time it interrupted an ongoing attack as well.

Is that what use of /stuck looks like? I've heard of people abusing /stuck in warzones to avoid being killed in the past (is that even still a thing?), but I can't say I've ever seen it, unless that was an example of it.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I ran into an oddity today in Huttball that I'm wondering if it was a cheat. I don't know that it was hacking, but it was weird enough to wonder if it was an exploit of some kind.

Twice when I was about to kill a Merc I was attacking he just vanished, one early in the match and once near the end. No stuttering, no reappearing anywhere else nearby (so it wasn't a Sorc pull or rocket out), just gone. It looked exactly like when a class with stealth stealths out, except of course Mercs don't have that ability. The first time it interrupted an ongoing attack as well.

Is that what use of /stuck looks like? I've heard of people abusing /stuck in warzones to avoid being killed in the past (is that even still a thing?), but I can't say I've ever seen it, unless that was an example of it.

/stuck while in combat kills you on the spot.

Are you sure they didn't just die? Huttball in particular if they are on or near the flames you can die really fast (even if you weren't near them, they could have been yanked to one)

/stuck while in combat kills you on the spot.

Thanks, definitely not that then unless the death animation just bugged out.

Are you sure they didn't just die? Huttball in particular if they are on or near the flames you can die really fast (even if you weren't near them, they could have been yanked to one)

I'm positive I didn't kill him. I have the combat messages turned on where you are notified of when you kill an enemy player, and I didn't get it for him. Plus the first one would have been a solo kill, and I didn't have that either. Neither was near the flames either.

Maybe he just dropped group, came back as a ballfill, and dropped again. *Shrugs*

It was a bad match for them. We won 6 to 1 and the final vanishing act was near the end.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Thanks, definitely not that then unless the death animation just bugged out.

I'm positive I didn't kill him. I have the combat messages turned on where you are notified of when you kill an enemy player, and I didn't get it for him. Plus the first one would have been a solo kill, and I didn't have that either. Neither was near the flames either.

Maybe he just dropped group, came back as a ballfill, and dropped again. *Shrugs*

It was a bad match for them. We won 6 to 1 and the final vanishing act was near the end.

Couldn't tell you then. AFAIK there aren't any invisibility hacks in game. There are hacks that let you move through walls or the floor, but you'd still have the person targeted (you didn't right? It was just like they died or stealthed out in terms of what your target frame did) just moving far away or whatever.

I played huttball 1,000 times and in the 1,000th game I came across someone whose movement I can't explain and conclude he/she must be cheating. That's it, I'm taking my toys and going home. Because huttball is super serious.

I can tell you that there has been some serious hacking going on. In the last week I've seen a) Hypergate nodes capped as soon as the 1st round spawned at both ends b) A player running through the wall to score in Hutt ball (multiple times) c) I've been Assassin mezzed in Odessen before the match has even started while I'm in the spawn area. I'm sure these don't sound like hacks right?

Couldn't tell you then. AFAIK there aren't any invisibility hacks in game. There are hacks that let you move through walls or the floor, but you'd still have the person targeted (you didn't right? It was just like they died or stealthed out in terms of what your target frame did) just moving far away or whatever.

I wont go as far as saying they are impossible, but I’ve not been able to find any info on stealth hacks, unlike other cheats that you can find.

Something that actually happened to me in Yavin (this map has some serious bugs). On my way to a node on my Jugg, an Operative used group stealth on me and when it ended, I stayed in stealth for the rest of the match. Even after respawning I stayed stealth. At first I though it was just me seeing it, so I started to ask other players on my team and the other team. None of them could see me when out of combat and could only see my lightsaber when I was in combat.

It’s because of that experience that I think it “could be possible” to exploit that bug on demand by developing a hack. Let’s face it, most hacks in this game are due to bugs being found or bad code being exploited.

Can't quote you Trixxie cause the forum doesn't handle long urls on mobile, but that bug has been around a looooooonnnggg time. Like since I started playing 3 years ago at least. And it makes the character invisible, it doesn't actually put them in stealth or make it so they can't be targeted. Id be very surprised if this was a brand new hack introduced to the game. My best guess is that the merc used rocket out or something, and an assasin or pt on his team pulled him into a fire (so he could have moved 50m in 2 seconds, and there aren't many places in huttball that you are more than 50m from fire) and he died, but due to desync the merc just kind of disappeared in his screen. Since we have no video or screenshots we'll never know, but i think thats more likely than a brand new hack to the game.