Community Discussion Thread for New Players

badmoonblood

Hello everyone! Quick disclaimer: I am uber-new to online gaming and MMO’s in general, so forgive me if my knowledge is not up to par for the gaming community. I have read tons of posts before I decided to play SWTOR. I have to say, being only level 20 as of today, I am having a blast!! I decided 3 days ago, based on what I read, to make only 1 republic toon (a commando) and 1 imperial toon (Sith Sorcerer). From what research I have done, the overall consensus from my reasurch is to limit the number of toons you create inorder to reduce leveling burnout, gearing grind burnout and overall grinding lulls.

Being new, I want to play all the races and classes this game has to offer. But, I want to also keep playing this game for a long time to come. As most new players, I want to experience this game to its fullest! My hope is that you “the community”, would use this thread to offer up positive and helpful suggestions or advice to new player ”such as myself” or players just new to SWTOR to be able to enjoy this wonderful game to its absolute fullest.

Thank you for any input!! :D

Don't be in a rush to 50, take time to enjoy the storylines and such. At 50, be sure to visit the pvp terminal to collect a free set of pvp gear, and soon(1.6) there will be a free set of pve gear available at 50 as well at the pve quest terminal. The low level flashpoints also have quests tied to them at the pve quest terminal, and don't forget to spend the planetary commendations you find along the way.

Crew skills are a great way to characters stronger or make credits on the GTN(galactic trade network). The easy way to make credits is to simply sell gathered materials on the GTN. Biochem is a good skill for new players since it allows you to make your own unlimited use medpacs.

Don't be in a rush to 50, take time to enjoy the storylines and such.

i second this. the stories are the best part of the game. you don't want to miss out on them.

also, i suggest trying out all activities in the game at least once. i'm not usually into pvp, but i decided to give warzones a try. i actually like them a lot. flashpoints are always fun and a good way to get nice gear as you're leveling. if you ever need a break from questing, space missions are a good distraction. the daily quests for space missions give nice exp as well if you do the ones in your level range.

One thing to remember while lvling that a lot of new players miss, is that orange gear scales to the lvl of the armoring that you place in it. So that means once you have orange gear, you never need to change gear again, unless the look doesn't suit you. I'd recommend spending your planetary comms on mods/armorings/enhancements instead of the at the equipment vendor, its just a more cost effective way of upgrading gear while lvling.

don't limit yourself to only one character per side, as each class has its own story that may intersect (a little) with the story of other classes (NPCs and companions that know each other, etc...).

Even if you level two classes on the Republic side, you can pick which missions you want to "redo". You may pick an entirely different dialogue because you decided that your character had a different stance on life, or you may skip that mission and do the planet bonus series instead.

Or you can level the character through pvp and/or space missions. in the end, your two characters won't feel too much identical, unless you rush so quickly to level 50 that you won't remember what their stories are like, which would be a pity.

• Dev Post

First of all, welcome! It's always great to see new players jumping in!

If you're new to MMOs in general, you'll find there's a lot to learn, but I think you'll get good responses if you're up-front that you're new. Don't be afraid to ask questions - and if someone is rude to you for being new, just ignore them; some people can forget that we were all new once.

There are a lot of great guides and resources on the forums and our fansites, and the New Player Help forum is a really good place to ask questions about anything from being new in PvP to what kind of gear you'll want to how to get in a guild that suits your tastes (and if you like paying with others, I highly recommend seeking out a guild - it may take some time to find one that you fit perfectly with, but it's definitely worth it).

Above all: have fun! Try out all the different kinds of content in the game, ask questions, and enjoy your adventures across the galaxy!

First of all, welcome! It's always great to see new players jumping in!

If you're new to MMOs in general, you'll find there's a lot to learn, but I think you'll get good responses if you're up-front that you're new. Don't be afraid to ask questions - and if someone is rude to you for being new, just ignore them; some people can forget that we were all new once.

There are a lot of great guides and resources on the forums and our fansites, and the New Player Help forum is a really good place to ask questions about anything from being new in PvP to what kind of gear you'll want to how to get in a guild that suits your tastes (and if you like paying with others, I highly recommend seeking out a guild - it may take some time to find one that you fit perfectly with, but it's definitely worth it).

Above all: have fun! Try out all the different kinds of content in the game, ask questions, and enjoy your adventures across the galaxy!

Thank you so much all for your advice! It is great to see such a great community! I look forward to experiencing all the aspects this game can offer. :D

Don't be afraid to ask questions - and if someone is rude to you for being new, just ignore them; some people can forget that we were all new once.

Obviously everything Allison says is brilliant advice, but this part above is by FAR the best advice she could have offered!!!

Don't let anyone ruin your experience!!! We've ALL been in your shoes at one time or another and even though some forget that, most of this community is very helpful! Don't get frustrated and enjoy yourself.

The Sorc and Commando were my first 2 characters too! Very fun with the Sith. I played her as power hungry but loyal to the empire and it's citizens and had a blast with it.

I think limiting yourself to a few characters is a good idea. I wanted to be self sufficient with crafting and made a ton of characters to get all the crew skills but kind of regret it now. I don't craft much anymore, and I have a bunch of mid level toons and I get lost as to where each of their storylines are. Now I'm back to your plan; I only play 1 or 2 characters till they hit 50. Better for class unlocks, better for me to get involved in their storylines rather than grinding the missions.