Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vhaegrant
01.22.2015 , 11:49 AM | #1111
Quote: Originally Posted by Neglience View Post
Taking your numbers. player running 3 or 4 machines at a time wil generate 8 junk in 5 minutes. that equals for example 2 adpativ circuit.

To get a crit with crew mission on average it takes you 150 minutes and that will give you 2 or 3.

Even your 15 minutes with 1 machine to get 6 jawa scraps are far better then crew missions.

2 jawa scraps per hour will be on par with crew missions.

The machine should not be balanced with crafting items, but other stuff.
See these are the sort of players that destroy any inclusion of fun items for others :/

There is the issue that the use of the slot machine is an exclusive activity. While crew missions run in the background and you can get on with other stuff, like running Flashpoints to get the rare material drops.

It's a shame players can run multiple machines to bypass the cooldown period. I would put the cooldown on the player rather than the machine to limit this abuse.

Further to this, those that have the time themselves to sit there clicking or the tech to put up a macro to do it for them (most MMO compatible keyboards and mice have software for this :/ ) I would consider placing a restriction on the number of chips that can be used in a 24 hour period. A character/ account wide debuff along the lines of 'Slot machine burnout'.

Gidrea
01.22.2015 , 11:52 AM | #1112
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
I'm a crafter and liked the machines the way they were. What now?
It was nice. The return rate on purple mats from companion missions is dismal. Maybe 2 purples out of 20 missions. Eventually one can't afford to craft anything.
Gidrea / Kätastrophee / Stärry / Randava / Lexä / Buttërcup / Fraidy Cat - Satele Shan
Shock and Jawa / Full Metal Jawa - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Vhaegrant
01.22.2015 , 11:53 AM | #1113
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Hey, people liked the slot machines from the NarShadaa event, right?

The what?

The NarShadaa Event. You don't remember?

No, I have no idea what your talking about.

Oh hell, we can't use those things, it will ruin the chance to have it as an event.

No, I don't mean the actual machine. How about a machine that drops the things that come in the pack that contains it?

Then why buy the pack?

Oh....yea. Didn't think of that.

...Hey, what if it dropped the extra stuff?

...What extra stuff?

...You know, the certificates, the scrap, the rep items....the stuff.

....They do that?

I am going to go find a pot of coffee and drown myself......

Yea. That is how bad I think it is around the table.
I don't think it's quite that bad.
But I do think that developers (and this is across all games not just SWTOR) consistently show an inability to recognise there is a sizable player base that will spend vast amounts of their time doing dull and repetitive actions if they feel it gives them an advantage.

I would take the step of introducing 'Time Limits' on these sort of activities.

They already exist with Dailies, Weeklies, OP lockout and the ability to only store a limited amount of coms. Why not place in a legacy wide debuff that prevents the abuse of an item.

Natan
01.22.2015 , 11:56 AM | #1114
Although i agree with them adjusting the drop rate on the Jawa junk it just seems pointless to own the machine now. all i'm getting back if Reputation items which i then sell back for less than the money i spend on the coins in the first place.

I was happy to see the change to Jawa Junk, they dropped way too often. but the green/blue versions were never a problem so i'm not sure why there % to drop was also changed. To keep these fun machines used then some new items really need to be added because right now it's pretty pointless to own one.

Elly_Dawn
01.22.2015 , 11:57 AM | #1115
funny thing is i believe it's not the crafters that were upset about the Junk Drops (i craft on most of my characters in every profession), it was the people that only gather and sell on the GTN that had the problem, the junk just made things easier for crafters to kit out their alts and guildies without having to rely on the Gatherers selling on the GTN... and yes the drop rates were too high but they didn't need to lower them to -0%, that's just too far, make it fair but not super-easy or useless... there's always a middle ground somewhere...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

RiVaN_
01.22.2015 , 11:58 AM | #1116
Nikolete, Scoundrel - Republic Flashfire
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate

Jedi Covenant

tdmaha
01.22.2015 , 11:58 AM | #1117
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Hey, people liked the slot machines from the NarShadaa event, right?

The what?

The NarShadaa Event. You don't remember?

No, I have no idea what your talking about.

Oh hell, we can't use those things, it will ruin the chance to have it as an event.

No, I don't mean the actual machine. How about a machine that drops the things that come in the pack that contains it?

Then why buy the pack?

Oh....yea. Didn't think of that.

...Hey, what if it dropped the extra stuff?

...What extra stuff?

...You know, the certificates, the scrap, the rep items....the stuff.

....They do that?

I am going to go find a pot of coffee and drown myself......

Yea. That is how bad I think it is around the table.
Shena.....AH never mind you know exactly what you are doing...c'mon Art you are better than this.

Drockter
01.22.2015 , 11:59 AM | #1118
Slot machine bypassed craftesr? How in the world do you get there? You had to be a crafter to make the most use out of the mats... if anything it helped crafters. Materials were available at a a lesser rate... cost to craft dropped.

Now, RESOURCE sellers... that rely mainly on Crafters to earn their credits... yes... they got hit hard. But they are NOT crafters... they are suppliers to the crafters.

For those who think that Crafters have been gouging the players for years... I suggest you level a crafter, or several for that matter in the different diciplines... learn all the schematics, upgrade those schematics (to be able to craft the item everyone wants), and earn/buy the mats required to actually craft the item. Oh don't forget about the companions... you better start working on that max affection... takes a while, and there is only so much story... so be ready to start forking over creds for gifts. Dont forget you need to gear yourself... some cschematics can only be obtained from loot drops from ops... really good stuff will be in the HM versions... oh and re-engineering... You might want to start praying to the RE-Gods that they bless you with a lucky streek on RE'ing that Hilt you got... otherwise you are starting over. After you have done all that, please come back and share your experience... and let us know what you think your time and effort are worth.

If you are paying a crafter for something, you are paying not only for their cost for the item... but the time they invested in honing that crafting skill... and you are paying for the convenience of not having to do it yourself.

I don't even believe the Resource Gatherers are responsible... with any supply chain, people want to make a profit... they have to have a reason to farm mats, run endless crew missions and etc.

Then take into account that people actually (gasp) want the item that was crafted... want it enough to pay for it. You say the crafters have gouged you? Then craft it yourself... come back and tell us how much you spent to learn to craft that 192 Hilt... vs what it is selling for on the GTN.

Are you willing to invest the time to craft it yourself? Then welcome to Crafting... there are many guides on how to level your skills, which companions to use for optimal crit rate (dont forget to make sure they are all at max affection!). Best of luck! Otherwise... if its too expensive... don't buy it... Wait for the price to drop... if it doesn't... then others value the item more than you do.

Edit: Please note, that I do believe there are some who take advantage of the market... and their game is about making as many credits as possible... but thats SOME... not all...

Bruceme
01.22.2015 , 12:02 PM | #1119
the crit rate on the level 11 purple crafting materials is so poor that:

1. many crafters who have the skill cannot afford to reliably use the skills they have
2. when these materials make it to the GTN, they are bought up by the Market Money Makers who are controlling the price materials, under cutting and raising when necessary to make sure they maintain a healthy profit.

if the end game is tuned expecting players to have full augs and mods, then they need to do something to make the components more accessible to everyone. right now they are not. the flow to market is being controlled by a few people on each server.

Vhaegrant
01.22.2015 , 12:07 PM | #1120
Quote: Originally Posted by Bruceme View Post
the crit rate on the level 11 purple crafting materials is so poor that:

1. many crafters who have the skill cannot afford to reliably use the skills they have
2. when these materials make it to the GTN, they are bought up by the Market Money Makers who are controlling the price materials, under cutting and raising when necessary to make sure they maintain a healthy profit.

if the end game is tuned expecting players to have fulls augs and mods, then they need to do something to make the components more accessible to everyone. right now they are not. the flow to market is being controlled by a few people on each server.
I definitely think the standing crit rate has a lot to answer for.
It restricted any thoughts I had of crafting items while levelling, it just wasn't worth the effort, by the time I had enough purple mats I was through the level band and on to the next gear. Although this consideration was blown out of the water when you had access to the mods from the planetary vendors and easier access to orange gear.