Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tdmaha
01.22.2015 , 06:37 AM | #1001
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Not multiple posts Tdmaha.....

Again, your words, again completely baseless hyperbole.

Provide links to more than one thread that I have authored that is a "quitting thread" or you are once again posting fallacies.

BTW Tdmaha, using a few of my words and comments does not make you me. You will never be me. Stop trying. Its just embarrassing.
Again you didn't read my post slowly did you I said I will post the links later when I'm on a PC right now digging through all your Shenangians on my phone isn't going to happen.

Be you lol please going on a VIDEO GAME forum everyday for years just to complain yeah trust me Art pretty sure nobody wants to be you.

danielearley
01.22.2015 , 06:38 AM | #1002
So the question is, are they now working as intended?
The Changes were said to be on the Jawa Junk and the addtion of a walker (90% movement speed lol)
From everyones posts it obvious that the chance of getting anything worthwhile are now pretty much Zero.

As someone who enjoys crafting for guildies, I have loved these slot machines and personally thought the big drop in over inflated prices was a good thing.
Prices have now started returning to their previous over inflated price although there are players sitting on tons of Mats who will keep these prices artificially high to give them maximum profit, which is not good for the economy.

A simple 8% return on Jawa Junk would enable the majority of players to have the chance to have purple material to craft for themselves at the cost of 75k, but would be expensive enough that most would not waste their time farming the machines for materials.

I'm personally hoping that there was a mistake, but would love to hear Biowares position on this.
Reading the Forum, just shows how stupid some people are. Which probably includes me for getting involved

LordArtemis
01.22.2015 , 06:40 AM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by tdmaha View Post
Again you didn't read my post slowly did you I said I will post the links later when I'm on a PC right now digging through all your Shenangians on my phone isn't going to happen.

Be you lol please going on a VIDEO GAME forum everyday for years just to complain yeah trust me Art pretty sure nobody wants to be you.
Quote:
sorry all your quitting threads probably got in the way.
I will wait for you to return home and provide proof of multiple quitting threads that I have authored. If you can do so, I will offer my apologies.

If not, you will offer yours.

Maybe then we can get back on topic, if that is alright with you.

I feel that Bioware has hurt themselves the most by this mistake. They killed any goodwill they had over the past 4 months IMO.

Vhaegrant
01.22.2015 , 06:46 AM | #1004
I've read the whole of the 'Intention' post made by Eric several time now.

It clearly states in the first sentence the original intention was to make purple grade 11 mats more available to the community.
They clearly got the drop rates wrong for Jawa mat tokens wrong.
The chance for any Jawa token felt about right.
The fact that it was an equal chance between the green, blue and purple tokens was crazy.

Green and Blue materials are easy to come by in game, either through running crew missions (for both) or going out into the game world and harvesting nodes/ killing silver/gold mobs (only for bioanalysis and scavenging).
On the GTN Green mats of top grade are kept viable as they are the base material of crafting used to get the parts required for making augmentation kits.
Blue mats of top grade are the unwanted redheaded stepchild of the materials world, the supply is saturated as they are an unwanted side product of running crew missions for the purples. Most of the time I see them listed on the GTN the cheapest are only just above what they can be sold to a vendor for.
Purple mats hold a premium because of the scarcity of supply (critical crew missions, conquest guild in top 10, cartel market packs). Basic supply and demand equation will raise the market as high as any one wants to pay for them.

Introducing the Jawa mat tokens on the Contraband slot machine was not a bad idea, just badly implemented.

A key point to the above declaration of Eric's is that there was no mention of the reputation tokens and their desire to open up the Contraband Rep vendors to non-cartel pack using players. This was an obvious intention, maybe it didn't need stating, it is certainly an aspect that has less impact upon the economy. Unless you are one of those traders sat on Masks of Revan and trying to get 10 million credits for them.
Reputation tokens are only valuable as an item while your reputation sits below legend, as soon as that rank is reached they offset the credit sink of the slot machine.

What is interesting is the psychology of the winning animations:
Loss :- Spinner flashes red.
Win, small (chip refund, Jawa mat token) :- Spinner flashes green
Win, large (Reputation token) :- Spinner flashes green, credit signs
Win, Jackpot (Cartel Certificate) :- Spinner flases green, confettis, descending disco ball.

The band of animation the Jawa mat token was placed in was deemed a trivial win, not worthy of a fuss, while that of the reputation token was more worthy. In light of how the machines were used this is obviously the reverse. Again, just to state the obvious, once reputation is maxed the reputation drops are functionally similar to the chip refund win state.

I am hoping that the devs are using this 'nerfed' state of the Slot machine to try and get the material market normalised before reintroducing a more balanced drop rate of jawa junk.

I would keep Jawa mat token drop rates reasonably high, but there needs to be a different rate of return on them.
While I haven't worked through the full maths I would propose a 10 green : 4 blue : 1 purple ratio , that seem fair and in keeping with how easy they are gained from other routes.

Before the nerf I spent just over an hour sat feeding the slot machine tokens, a total outlay of 250,000 credits (and an hour+ of my life I will never get back) for that I was rewarded:

175,500 credits worth of reputation tokens, redeemed against the initial chip cost = 74,500 credit cost to gain

68 Green Jawa mat tokens
65 Blue Jawa mat tokens
57 Purple Jawa mat tokens
and
15 Cartel Market Certificates (I would argue this is too high a drop rate for certificates, I would suggest 1% is a better return)

74,500 credits for the above rewards whether you are going on to sell them on the GTN or use them is your own crafting is obviously ludicrously low.

Using the 10:4:1 ratio and 1% return on Cartel certificates would reward:

126 Green Jawa mat tokens
51 Blue Jawa mat tokens
13 Purple Jawa mat tokens
and
5 Cartel Market Certificates

If we take the new cost of 750 credits per chip it would have cost 375,000 for 500 chips, less the175,500 from reputation token sold back to vendor, for a grand total credit sink of 199,500 credits.

So the drop rate feels fine at that point, I like seeing the winning animations, but the cost/reward ratio still feels on the high side.

Raising the cost of the token to 1,000 credits per spin comes out at 324,500 credit sink for the above.

I'm not sure if that works out competitive with crew missions but if 'feels' a fairer break even.

And bear in mind that all the other ways of earning the Jawa Mat tokens do not require the player to sit idle. After you have sent your crew members off on the missions you can carry on playing the game, when you purchase a cartel pack it is a single GCD to open the pack, aiding your guild in conquest means you will be completing content (unless you do it solely through crafting)

The Slot machine requires you to do nothing else other than feed chips into it. The rewards from wins are not offset by you killing mobs or running flashpoints while your crew members complete the resource gathering for you.

TL;dnr:

Original loss rate was fine.
Original return coin/ reputation token win was fine.
Original Jawa mat win rate was fine but ratio needs to be altered to 10 green : 4 blue : 1 purple (not the 1:1:1 it was)
Original Cartel Cert reward needs lowering from ~3% to 1%
Cost of chips should be raised to 1,000 credits.

tdmaha
01.22.2015 , 06:46 AM | #1005
I will wait for you to return home and provide proof of multiple quitting threads that I have authored. If you can do so, I will offer my apologies.

If not, you will offer yours.
Deal!

Now don't be going through and editing your posts I know which ones said it.

LordArtemis
01.22.2015 , 06:49 AM | #1006
Deal!

Now don't be going through and editing your posts I know which ones said it.
Ok, you have a deal.

So I missed your ONE from YESTERDAY! I said you didn't say anything about them YESTERDAY so posting other pointless rants from a week or more ago was rather pointless.

I must have missed it because of all your quitting threads.

Nice try though....
Again you keep up Art I said yesterday, and like I said I missed your ONE post from yesterday sorry all your quitting threads probably got in the way.
You clearly said multiple quitting threads that I authored....twice.

Threads I have authored Tdmaha....not posts. You said "your quitting threads" and "all your quitting threads"....you need to provide mulitple links to quitting threads that I authored.

I always believed you were incapable of admitting you were wrong....lets see if that assumption is correct....

I swear, at some point this will get back on topic if it kills me...

Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
Original loss rate was fine.
Original return coin/ reputation token win was fine.
Original Jawa mat win rate was fine but ratio needs to be altered to 10 green : 4 blue : 1 purple (not the 1:1:1 it was)
Original Cartel Cert reward needs lowering from ~3% to 1%
Cost of chips should be raised to 1,000 credits.
I would agree on all points EXCEPT I think that the original drop rate for certs should be doubled.

tdmaha
01.22.2015 , 06:55 AM | #1007
Ok, you have a deal.

Threads I have authored Tdmaha....not posts. You said "your multiple threads"....you need to provide mulitple links to quitting threads that I authored.

I always believed you were incapable of admitting you were wrong....lets see if that assumption is correct....
Nope it's post you havent authored any quitting "threads" I know of I like how you are squirming now because you know you have posted multiple POST about quitting. It's always been POSTS not threads if the two words got mixed up that was a simple mistake it's early over here.

LordArtemis
01.22.2015 , 06:57 AM | #1008
Nope it's post you havent authored any quitting "threads" I know of I like how you are squirming now because you know you have posted multiple POST about quitting. It's always been POSTS not threads if the two words got mixed up that was a simple mistake it's early over here.
Oh...so now it's POSTS....nice try.

Simple mistake, eh?

That is an excuse. You clearly meant what you wrote...you WROTE IT TWICE. That is not a mistake.

Of course you could always accuse me of going back and editing your posts.......

You said it was a deal. You need to keep your word. You own me an apology, period.

Back on topic...again....This was my favorite option, if they wanted to go the route of adding a "lucky" buff. It is from another thread, but I would prefer something like this.

fail - 35%/24.993%
token - 20%/26%
lucky buff - 10%
green rep - 16.999%/20%
blue rep - 13%/15%
purple rep - 4.5%/5%
green mat - 0.2%/6%
blue mat - 0.15%/2%
purple mat - 0.1%/1%
certificate - 0.05%/4%
mount - 0.002%/0.007%

Now, this setup would provide the current numbers, but would boost the numbers as shown in the second set if you hit a "lucky buff", that would last for a certain period of time. This is the best option IMO...it gives players the incentive to roll for a chance to get better numbers...not as good as they were, but much better than they are.

This reduces the chances from a pure reset to one of the sets above, which averages out a lower amount overall, but nowhere near as bad as it is now....and players have an incentive to roll.

This would be the option I would choose to make everyone happy.

Perhaps I will post the other two suggestions as well.

tdmaha
01.22.2015 , 07:02 AM | #1009
Oh...so now it's POSTS....nice try.

Simple mistake, eh?

That is an excuse. You clearly meant what you wrote...you WROTE IT TWICE. That is not a mistake.

You own me an apology, period.
Nope you will be owing me an apology when I link your multiple quitting POSTS later today.

Lord-HawkEye
01.22.2015 , 07:05 AM | #1010
I removed my machine from stronghold and replaced with rakata palm tree, everytime i looked at that fu.... machine i was so angry.... wasted 3mil cred... Fu..... crying gready crafters they have bilons of credits and they want more and more..... Nice work BioWare. Everytime when you "fix" things you make it worse.....