Predation

Polymerize

Community Guide concerning when to use Predation/Transcendence & some semi-well known tips on how/when to wrack up Fury without attacking an opponent.

> On average, how many times a game do you use Predation?

> In what situations do you use Predation?

> Do you feel like Predation is more useful to your team in an all-out 8v8 battle than using Berserk for the extra burst?

> Do you use your spammable AOE ability in order to build fury if you have the extra rage left after a battle?

> In Huttball matches, do you build rage up frequently with the intent of having Predation ready for your team and ball carrier or are you wasting your fury on Berserk?

> How many times a game do you use Predation in Huttball matches specifically?

> Do you save your stacks of fury after a big battle in which your team wipes the other team so you can pop Predation and help your team rotate to where they need to be? Or instead do you use your berserk so you can pad your stats more by killing that last guy that is alive that is 1v4 versus your team..

> Do you even have Predation as a key bind? Because sometimes I wonder...

Edited by Polymerize

If you own a Marauder, feel free to answer.

1-6 depending on WZ. most often in hb followed by CW and then vstar. least often in AHG

start of matches to get to nodes/ball (stagger with others), when a door opens in vstar, when team gets the ball in hb, running to defend "other" node in CW

> Do you feel like Predation is more useful to your team in an all-out 8v8 battle than using Berserk for the extra burst?

is berserk the same as inspiration? the CDs are different. inspiration is up less often so I'm far more liberal with transcendence/predation. but to answer the question, inspiration is more situational but can be more valuable. predation is the most important buff in the WZ (outside of stun-bubble poo)

> Do you use your spammable AOE ability in order to build fury if you have the extra rage left after a battle?

trying to think of a spammable aoe on a sentinel/mara that builds focus....

> In Huttball matches, do you build rage up frequently with the intent of having Predation ready for your team and ball carrier or are you wasting your fury on Berserk?

huh?

5+

> Do you save your stacks of fury after a big battle in which your team wipes the other team so you can pop Predation and help your team rotate to where they need to be? Or instead do you use your berserk so you can pad your stats more by killing that last guy that is alive that is 1v4 versus your team..

if I'm in a fight, I'll use the stacks for xen (watchman/anni), but if the fight's decided, I'll save the stacks for w/e I might need to do next. it could be another xen or trans or inspir

these were rhetorical questions, weren't they? my bad.

trolled. :(

I prefer predation over blood thirst only in the fact that it makes me harder to catch even in open combat, (especially in open combat) and it makes healers harder to catch if they are moving faster than the other team.

watching two teams when both pop predation is like (probably) being on the white pony.

I only played my mara to 50 and it's been a while; but I used to specifically love carnage as I felt more free to save for predation when a door pops in voidstar for the breakaway, or when my team is carrying the ball in Hutt Ball. It was never cookie cutter though, because I would not sit on it when I thought the team needed to burst down the other team either.

these were rhetorical questions, weren't they? my bad.

trolled. :(

Excellent reply.

Consider this, and you might need to change your answer....

I'm not sure what the equivalent Sentinel ability is, but Berserk is the ability you use as a Marauder that helps you with your DPS (it depends on what your spec is).

Depends on the game actually. I can't give you a good number as I don't count.

Voidstar:

Defense -USE PREDATION WHILE DEFENDING ALWAYS. PREDATE, PREDATE, PREDATE ON DEFENSE DAMMIT.

Offense- Pop predation when doors blow up to give your team that movement advantage. Otherwise you should be using berserk to blow people up.

Civil War:

Pop predation for your team at the start of the game when everyone hits the ground.

If you feel your team is getting taken over in a battle pop pred for that defense boost to help

When switching nodes to defend pop pred

Huttball:

Always Predation. ALWAYS when your team has possession of the ball.

When the other team has the ball you're going to need to use your berserk and bloodthirst. Generally pop the BT to focus down the ball carrier.

Novare:

Pop pred at the start like you do in civil war.

Pop pred if you feel you need the defensive boost

Pop pred to switch nodes

Basically the same as civil war

Hypergate:

Bascially The same as novare and civil war, didn't watn to type again.

Depends on whats going on. It's a utility and you need to learn to pop it as needed.

What else are you going to do with that rage? Of course!

I answered this question up there for you.

I answered this one for you up there too

Depends, if they switch nodes I predate, if they come back at us I berserk to kill people.

Of course I do. Why wouldn't you?

Edit: I didn't answer everything in a much depth as i could of so if anyone has any questions I will help answer them the best I can.

Edited by Xerain

Depends on the game actually. I can't give you a good number as I don't count.

Voidstar:

Defense -USE PREDATION WHILE DEFENDING ALWAYS. PREDATE, PREDATE, PREDATE ON DEFENSE DAMMIT.

Offense- Pop predation when doors blow up to give your team that movement advantage. Otherwise you should be using berserk to blow people up.

Civil War:

Pop predation for your team at the start of the game when everyone hits the ground.

If you feel your team is getting taken over in a battle pop pred for that defense boost to help

When switching nodes to defend pop pred

Huttball:

Always Predation. ALWAYS when your team has possession of the ball.

When the other team has the ball you're going to need to use your berserk and bloodthirst. Generally pop the BT to focus down the ball carrier.

Novare:

Pop pred at the start like you do in civil war.

Pop pred if you feel you need the defensive boost

Pop pred to switch nodes

Basically the same as civil war

Hypergate:

Bascially The same as novare and civil war, didn't watn to type again.

Depends on whats going on. It's a utility and you need to learn to pop it as needed.

What else are you going to do with that rage? Of course!

I answered this question up there for you.

I answered this one for you up there too

Depends, if they switch nodes I predate, if they come back at us I berserk to kill people.

Of course I do. Why wouldn't you?

Edit: I didn't answer everything in a much depth as i could of so if anyone has any questions I will help answer them the best I can.

Excellent answer.

FYI this is not for my benefit. It is for experienced Marauders to come and here and comment so other people who are interested can read something, and learn from it.

a lot

huttball, attack at the start, during combat during a rotation, tactical

1v1 zen, rest trans, defense inspi sometimes

????

trans

many

trans

yes

there .....

Edited by HuntersPoint
the color

For my Sentinel

2 - 6 (Huttball will be the most)

Hutball: When carrying the ball near the endzone. When teammates have the ball near endzone. Sometimes I'll use it when we gain possession to give team a speed boost. Typically use it at the beginning. Will use on defense to help chase down ballcarrier.

Voidstar: For offense, in between the door transitions. Use it on defense more for the defense buff and help team move between guarding doors.

Alderaan/Novare Coast: Similar uses to Voidstar defense.

I generally like to use it offensively to help with gap closing (especially when team has lots of melee). I think it also looks a bit intimidating when your team is zipping around a bit faster.

Yes.

Yep.

Yep...I'll save it for Transcendence (Predation).

I have no idea....lots. I pretty much always use the 30 Centering stacks on it.

I typically do...especially on defense when I expect the team will have to move to another door/node soon.

But of course.

Edited by stuffystuffs

When I played on the pub side, my sentinel used the speed boost easily 4-5 times per game or more. I was always combat spec, which has an epic speed buff. Now, keep in mind, you need to be within a certain range of the sentinel to benefit from it...but yeah, way too many people suck and never use it.

cyclone slash? that sucks. it's not even on any bars. it's conal.

Lmao. Yes you do not want to use it in your DPS rotation.

It allows you to exhaust your rage for fury when you have no one to attack. Thereby making your rage useful instead of letting it waste away. Oftentimes it is the difference between having 30 stacks and not....

I also use it frequently in Huttball. I carry the ball as a Marauder occasionally and I'll attack people as I progress up then map beside them and just spam that ability in order to gain Predation. Works like a charm, try it out.

2-3 times a warzone. In Huttball matches I tend to use it more than Zen.

usually in between transitions. ie.:

- Voidstar: To move quickly when a bomb explodes.

- Civil War: When a call for incs needs to be answered and I'm moving (not defending own node) towards it.

- Huttball: when we have the ball and are trying to progress or sometimes after a score to quickly go back (this is the case when predation only becomes available after the score.

- Novare Coast: same as Civil War

- Ancient Hypergates: When I see we've collected multiple orbs or when there's a call for inc.

I tend to only use predation in a situation where extra speed is needed. I am Watchman (Annihilation) and Berserk is also useful for some team healing (I only pug).

Yes. If I have focus to spare I tend to sweep and/or Overload Saber to increase my Centering stacks.

In Hutball, I tend to use Transcendence (=Predation) more.

I use Transcendence almost exclusively in Huttball matches, I do not count them however. Depending on how I'm surviving (are there healers present? Again, I pug) I pop one predation almost every 45secs - 1 minute.

No, I only pop Zen when I absolutely need to kill someone in a 1v1 situation. (solo guarding a node or something.)

It has its own special button on my Razer Naga.

I wrote my replies in bold.

EDIT:

Lmao. Yes you do not want to use it in your DPS rotation.

It allows you to exhaust your rage for fury when you have no one to attack. Thereby making your rage useful instead of letting it waste away. Oftentimes it is the difference between having 30 stacks and not....

I also use it frequently in Huttball. I carry the ball as a Marauder occasionally and I'll attack people as I progress up then map beside them and just spam that ability in order to gain Predation. Works like a charm, try it out.

Good tip, will try it.

Edited by SpoeMeister

you own a Marauder, feel free to answer.

Its situational thats like asking how often do you use your aoe stun.

Defensive, and moving yourself / team across the map.

100 times over yes

ALWAYS!

Always an aware player, playing objectively > someone padding their numbers any day of the week.

I can easily pred 7-10 times in a game whether its going back to defend or going forward to score.

Pred all day every day

Possibly trolled but its so important that it is a main key bind on my naga.

I just want to add, as I made this noob mistake recently, don't pop predation when the ball carrier is waiting around for a fire trap to stop. :rolleyes:

At least my teammate was polite about it, though I would have accepted a full flame, when he called me out in chat. "Do you think you could wait until the fire goes down next time?" I knew exactly what he meant and took my lumps on that one.

That said, even as a Carnage spec, I do like to use bloodlust at the start of VS defense or NC once we first engage at mid rather than use predation. I was thinking that the team heal and damage boost would be more beneficial in those instances but, if that's not preferred, I can stop doing that. CW I always pop pred at the start, same with AH.

I just want to add, as I made this noob mistake recently, don't pop predation when the ball carrier is waiting around for a fire trap to stop. :rolleyes:.

or pop predation and run through the trap. you'll take like one tic. pop saberward as well. keep gbtf in reserve (that will get you through another fire at reg speed). only adviseable if you're alone (nobody to leap to or stun you) or desperate (enemy closing in from behind and no friends to pass to in front).

obviously applies more to carrying yourself, but if you have an actual tank class carrying, they have even better mitigation, so it works for them too - if they have the balls to run through when you pop it for them.

Edited by foxmob