Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling as a Jedi Guardian Tank

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Leveling as a Jedi Guardian Tank

ScorpidX
12.28.2011 , 01:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Highfives View Post
I've leveled as a Tank and I've got to say the only good thing about it is the back to back stuns. Until you get Doc you will need to spec your companion as dps and manage your abilities efficiently by activating wards at the right time and interrupting to avoid major damage.

Guardian really is an inadequate Tank, you have two major defense skills with long cooldowns and strong players or enemies can eat through your hp while these are on cooldown. You just have to do your best with the poor hand you've been dealt.
I'm sorry but I'm quite the noob when it comes to TOR (although tanked 3+ years in WoW): how do you spec your companion? I'm lvl 14 and trying to avoid T7 to suck aggro off my targets.

Next question: when do you get Kira as a companion?

If this have been answered, please indulge .

Thanks.

Proviant
01.23.2012 , 07:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Imacomputa View Post
This is the build I am working towards: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#50...MzZhGrMMhzzM.1

Its the same build from the sticky on the Guardian forum.
Is there a nice build with Guardian Slash in it?

Loladarulz
01.23.2012 , 09:29 AM | #23
I have no problems leveling as guardian tank, you just need to upgrade equipment and use all of your skills. JK is definatelly way slower then bounty hunter with his awesome aoe. I feel he could use some bufs at lower levels - more damage basically - to increase killing speed. He just doesn't feel (to me) like deadly jedi who breezes thru enemies as we have seen in SW movies. Good thing is that he tanks like a champ!

sotacram
01.23.2012 , 10:47 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Proviant View Post
a 31/10 build will get you to Guardian slash on the defense tree.

It's a matter of putting points in places you prefer on Tier 2 - 4 Defense.

I am working towards this build myself.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMGcurrkzRZhGM.1

I am still unsure about the 3% increase in accuracy.

Altaere
01.23.2012 , 03:13 PM | #25
I'm also doing a Defense/Vigilance Hybrid spec, with more points in Def at the moment (Level 38 right now), and I'm loving it.
I tried leveling as Vigilance DPS from 32 to 35 and, no, don't know what I did wrong, but mobs would tear me down.

Companion commentary:
Spoiler

Kodiaxis
01.25.2012 , 02:50 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by skinthinner View Post
Yeah, I went defense with a touch of dps talents thrown in... and made sure I have tank gear on. Works very well.

For me, using a dps partner that can kill things while I stay alive is working perfect, but you could really use any companion and do the job fine, with maybe the only thing changing is the time needed to kill the mobs.

I have seen tanks in game that complain about their leveling and their performance, only to inspect them and see that they are not geared to tank whatsoever, and I have to laugh at some folks that don't even run a shield in their off-hand. But that is another story.

Gear right, talent right, and you are golden.
I am liking the tone of this thread and I going to re-spec my guardian the same to feel it out for a while. I have a pure vig. spec right now but I find w/ elites I have to frequently switch to the defense stance to have a chance.

You spoke about gearing right so I'm wondering what you think about my gear: I'm running w/ mostly endurance favored mods and a shield in the off hand. The exception is that I mix in roughly 25% strength/DPS customized gear. I'm wondering if the little bit of offense I am gaining is causing me to miss out an a disproportionately greater amount of defense.

FalcoLombardi
01.25.2012 , 09:45 PM | #27
I leveled as a Tank with Kira. I only needed my friend to help me on 2 occassions. End of Chapter 1. And the end of the Final Chapter (probably not as hard now since the needed nerf to it)
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||

FalcoLombardi
01.25.2012 , 09:47 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Proviant View Post
I got one that works great for me. I don't remember all the points in the defense tree, but, you have 5 points in vigilance for Force Sweep damage and extra Sundering Strike sunder armor. In the defense tree, I remember not having Solidified Force and something else like on the second tier. I'd have to check. And only 2 points in the thing that increases Hilt Strike's, Force Sweep's, and Cyclone Slashes damage increase

Here's the exact setup

Defense (Top to Bottom)

_|_|1|_
_|3|2|_
2|1|1|1
2|2|_|2
2|0|1|3
_|0|2|3
_|2|3|1

Vigilance (Bottom to Top)

_|0|3|2

Focus (Bottom to Top)

2|0|0|_
......|||
======= God Bless
......|||
......|||

Kain_Silvermoon
01.30.2012 , 09:02 AM | #29
Here's my take. Got a 41 Guardian and I played as a straight Defense spec up until level 40. I switched to a full Vigilance spec and here is my synopsis.

Defense Spec Pros
More defensive abilites
Higher defence chance
Excellant long-fight survivability
Can take down champ mobs with Doc and using all defense abilities
Blade storm creates a damage shield
Riposte raises total defense by 6% for a few seconds

Defense Spec Cons
Low burst damage
Less damage reduction

Vigilance Pros
Higher total Endurance (More HP)
Higher total strength (More DPS/Accuracy)
Higher Damage Reduction than Defense spec (Not sure how that makes sense. But I had about 5% more in this spec while in Soresu form)

Vigilance Cons
Less defense chance than Defense spec by about 6%

My opinion is this. If you want to be able to solo quests at your level, even champion mobs, be a defense spec. It gives you a better long term survivability rating but makes the fights last longer do to the lessened DPS. You'll do better vs multiple enemies since your defense chance and defense abilities are more often. Less medpacks.

Vigilance spec is only marginally worse when in Soresu form and you do quite a bit more DPS due to Plasma Brand and Overhead Strike (and their accompanying DoT's)

I've found that it's easier for me to keep aggro on multiple mobs by being in the vigilance spec due to having abilities that do more damage on quick cooldowns, not to mention I killed faster. Defense spec was nice for those long haul battles when healing is scarce...but if you have a healer or Doc....my opinion? Go Vigilance. Yea, I have to sit there and channel force stasis for 3 seconds as opposed to hitting it and continuing my rotation, but that's just an annoyance. I'm having fun with my Vigilance spec....but try them both, see what you prefer and go from there.

As to the stats on the guys build that he posted....Damage reduction looks good. Endurance could be higher. And you definiately need to raise your shield chance and shield absorb rate. In Soresu form my shield chance is 32% and my absorb rate is 33%. Damage reduction when in soresu form is 48.xx%. When I have a healer, I'm unstoppable. I was in a group the other day where the pull went bad and I was still able to stay alive vs 4 elite mobs, with 1 CC'd for a total of 5 mobs in the group. I had to keep bouncing between them to hold aggro and use my defense abilities, but we managed.

Learn the class. Learn how to play it and pay attention to your surroundings and what the mobs are doing. Use your interupts appropriately. Force Kick is your friend, as it Force Stasis and Force Push...they all interupt. On Strong or weaker mobs, Force leap can stun (in Defense spec), and Bladestorm also stuns. As does Force Sweep. Use that ability that slows their movement speed by 50%, followed by our backhand ability. Hilt Strike followed by Pommel Strike is also a good combination. Take advantage of every ability you have...except cyclone kick. I never use that....like..ever.

qwinnet
01.30.2012 , 09:37 AM | #30
I'm L29 and this is what I do:

On gold elites, I send in Kira and taunt off her when she gets to below 50% health.

I dual silver elites, I send Kira to one and I take the other. She can usually kill hers without dying and helps me finish off mine. (it's sad when your companion has the better dps)

I have to heal up after every encounter but the pace and speed is exciting and keeps me on my toes.