Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to make a Chiss Sith Inquisitor work?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How to make a Chiss Sith Inquisitor work?

Ylliarus
08.02.2019 , 08:01 AM | #1
As the title says, something I have been wondering about today, is how one could make a Chiss work for the Sith Inquisitor storyline. I'm really interested into what people here - especially those that abide strictly by the lore - would think up as to a logical backstory for a Chiss Sith Inquisitor. As there are a few points that would have to be taken into account:

1. The Chiss Ascendancy considers Force Sensitivity a sickness and abomination. This would mean, that the Chiss who would become the Sith Inquisitor, either had to be exiled from the Ascendancy themselves or be the son/daughter of someone who was exiled.
2. The Sith Inquisitor was a slave before being sent to Korriban, which means that if they were a Chiss, they somehow had to be enslaved by the Empire. Either this could have happened because they committed some crime against the Empire or slavery was passed down upon them through their father/mother, who were convinced to slavery for some reason.
3. Kallig is the Sith Inquisitor's ancestors, which means that they would have to be Chiss too. This could work, if he too had been exiled by the Ascendancy for his Force Sensitivity, roamed the galaxy and learned of the Sith himself, joining them and making a name for himself as Aloysus Kallig.

So what do people think would be a good explanation/backstory for a Chiss Sith Inquisitor? Or do you simply think that a Chiss would completely fail to fit in with that class story?
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Rebamcfan
08.02.2019 , 09:16 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
As the title says, something I have been wondering about today, is how one could make a Chiss work for the Sith Inquisitor storyline. I'm really interested into what people here - especially those that abide strictly by the lore - would think up as to a logical backstory for a Chiss Sith Inquisitor. As there are a few points that would have to be taken into account:

1. The Chiss Ascendancy considers Force Sensitivity a sickness and abomination. This would mean, that the Chiss who would become the Sith Inquisitor, either had to be exiled from the Ascendancy themselves or be the son/daughter of someone who was exiled.
2. The Sith Inquisitor was a slave before being sent to Korriban, which means that if they were a Chiss, they somehow had to be enslaved by the Empire. Either this could have happened because they committed some crime against the Empire or slavery was passed down upon them through their father/mother, who were convinced to slavery for some reason.
3. Kallig is the Sith Inquisitor's ancestors, which means that they would have to be Chiss too. This could work, if he too had been exiled by the Ascendancy for his Force Sensitivity, roamed the galaxy and learned of the Sith himself, joining them and making a name for himself as Aloysus Kallig.

So what do people think would be a good explanation/backstory for a Chiss Sith Inquisitor? Or do you simply think that a Chiss would completely fail to fit in with that class story?
I feel that they would fit in one way -and on the other way they wouldn't. My gripe is specifically with point 3 about Aloysius Kallig. Considering that he's a fairly known Sith Lord, one could assume that there would be inscriptions about his appearances that have survived, detailing how he looked. It would also mean that the Chiss would be known more widely in the Sith Empire, instead of being an entirely new species that they encounter during their expansion to Unknown Regions.
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg If you liked what I posted, feel free to use my Referral link. ^_^

JuventusAndFCK
08.02.2019 , 09:30 AM | #3
As a baseline, it just doesn't. Canonically, Chiss are only supposed to be played as agent and hunter classes.

As for you own headcanon to make the species fit the class, I see no reason why you couldn't make up any wild story you like. The Inquisitor I currently play is a neutral alignment Miraluka, which I kinda like as a contradiction between a species that's usually not dark side and a role in society that's usually not light side.

phalczen
08.12.2019 , 10:14 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rebamcfan View Post
I feel that they would fit in one way -and on the other way they wouldn't. My gripe is specifically with point 3 about Aloysius Kallig. Considering that he's a fairly known Sith Lord, one could assume that there would be inscriptions about his appearances that have survived, detailing how he looked. It would also mean that the Chiss would be known more widely in the Sith Empire, instead of being an entirely new species that they encounter during their expansion to Unknown Regions.
Darth Marr is fairly well known and no one has seen his face. I think there is a fairly high likelihood that any record of Kallig's original appearance would be long gone. Not to mention that he was basically a rival to Tulak Hord and thus his record would be conveniently removed by the one victorious over him.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
3. Kallig is the Sith Inquisitor's ancestors, which means that they would have to be Chiss too.
Maybe. We don't really have a complete idea of how penetrance works in the Star Wars Galaxy ... Penetrance, in genetics, refers to the percentage of people with a given mutation who display the phenotype of that mutation. We would presume that distinctive physical features, like Lekku, would have high penetrance. This is established by canon in the Clone Wars, where a clone trooper deserter has a child with a Twi'lek woman. Presumably the blue skin and red eyes of the Chiss have similar penetrance, since they appear to be a universal feature of all native Chiss, but if Kallig was truly an outcast from the Ascendancy he would have had to mate with non-Chiss, unless he also happened to find another Chiss outcast or at least one with less orthodox views. If the enslavement began soon after his excommunication from the Ascendancy, it would make it even more likely for mating to occur with non-Chiss species, which means their appearance genes would be competing with the Chiss ones for the ultimate phenotype.

This science offers a convenient excuse for any player to use just about any species for the SI, and the backstory is kept sufficiently vague in terms of dates such that we really don't know how many generations removed the SI is from Kallig. Tulak Hord is thought to have died well before 5600 BBY and the SI story starts up around 3643 BBY so that's 2000 years of ancestors to mix up the genes.

It's certainly just as likely, from a phenotypic point of view, that only the most recent ancestors of the player SI were Chiss, rather than Kallig himself having to be Chiss.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Ardrossan
09.02.2019 , 11:58 AM | #5
As noted, Kallig doesn't have to be Chiss [or any alien], as his ancestors could have married aliens after he fell from power. This actually fits more with what we're told about him - he's not an alien, he's an alien-lover.

We don't know much about how the Chiss and the Empire got into bed with each other [or why] so there's plenty of room to headcanon. My personal rationalization is that when they made their alliance, the Empire created a treaty forcing Csilla to hand over any force sensitives to them for training. The Chiss agreed, as long as they would be treated like purebloods and baseline humans [which is how we end up with Chiss Sith Warriors]. The Empire agreed, but stipulated that in the event that Csilla is not able to handover a Chiss found to be force sensitive, if they escape or don't come voluntarily, then the Empire is permitted to enslave them.

You could even cut through that last part and extend it to ANY Chiss found in imperial space not affiliated with the Great Houses or the CDF. Thus the Chiss inquisitor is originally just a pleb exploring the galaxy, who gets captured by imperials, interrogated, found to be a civilian, and enslaved. They find out about his force sensitivity afterwards.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

Nefla
09.07.2019 , 08:04 PM | #6
The way I headcanon my Sith Pureblood inquisitor could work for a Chiss IMO: slave mother impregnated by sith pureblood, takes after the non-slave pureblood father.

Celise
09.08.2019 , 02:01 AM | #7
Your mother and father were proud of you, your talents developed but being that you are chiss, your family couldn't hide the dirty secret that is your character and they betrayed you for themselves by handing you off to the authorities. The ascendency passed judgement that you are to be locked away and stripped of citizenship.

The empire discovers you and a number of other chiss prisoners, they buy you and others and turn you into slaves for their bidding. a few short weeks in the service of a sith lord, he senses your characters connection to the force and immediately contacts the Sith academy to buy your character from him so the emperors rules are followed regarding untrained force users. Since admittance on alien slaves are also waived, your charactter has a decent shot at becoming a sith.

easy enough to create a backstory there.

Deshiel
09.17.2019 , 01:20 PM | #8
Lets make a thread like this for the nautolan when it arrives haha

MK-ULTRA
09.19.2019 , 11:19 AM | #9
You can't that's why I make fat chiss bounty hunter with hair like Superman.
You spelled tyranny wrong.

LiableArab
09.21.2019 , 04:28 AM | #10
Canon-wise, Chiss have had force sensitives. They use them as "navigators", which is how they chart through the unknown regions. Generally, they are young females who serve as navigators. There have been known kidnappings of said children who have a high demand in the underworld market in the unknown regions. Generally around the end of their teenage years they lose their "Second Sight" as it is called. They use the Force to see in the immediate future, which is how they are able to navigate Chiss warships through the unknown regions.

There have been rare cases of these force-sensitive children keeping their "Second Sight" past teenage years, and going on as long as possible. Truly exceptional ones, have something called "Third Sight" which is the equivalent to mind reading in the force. You could easily go further with this, but there are Force-sensitive Chiss who serve as navigators while they still have the Force.

It wouldn't be completely unnatural if you were, say, kidnapped by slavers or some unknown species, sold to the slave market. You decided to begin using your hate, one way or another you escaped and ended up as a Sith. Sith Inquisitor is most likely Sith-spec that suits these Chiss, as they are not warriors.