Possible future removal of companions? *SPOILERS*

starwarsfansix

Now that the storyline is going decisively Imp vs. Pub again, do you think that some companions will opt to permanently leave, or try to sabotage the Alliance? I chose to go with the Empire on Ossus with my SW, and after that I received some interesting messages from Jorgan and T7. Basically, they can be summarized in "we're still buddies, but don't make me go against my people". I can see the Alliance experiencing an internal conflict as the only logical scenario, perhaps even being lead by Theron (if you choose to spare/keep him after Nathema. I did, because the DS choices were pretty dumb). I believe he would rather remove you from power than just let everything he has worked and sacrificed for become another tool of the Empire (which is what's happening as far as the current story goes).

The imp companions rebelling against the commander is somewhat harder to believe though. Even Lana, which is IMO the most patriotic towards the Empire companion at the moment, would rather follow you.

I don't think so, I think at this point the people who've stuck with you after all those years are too loyal to try and fracture the alliance in a civil war. I could of course, be wrong, and I don't doubt that certain characters might not be too enthusiastic about some of your choices but I don't think they'll leave or even try to fight you. I could be wrong of course.

I don't think so, I think at this point the people who've stuck with you after all those years are too loyal to try and fracture the alliance in a civil war. I could of course, be wrong, and I don't doubt that certain characters might not be too enthusiastic about some of your choices but I don't think they'll leave or even try to fight you. I could be wrong of course.

I agree I highly doubt that your companions especially your LI will ever leave your character, they will stay with your character through everything. Sure they might not like some of your decisions but they won't leave you, they will stay by your characters side through thick and thin especially your LI if you have one

The imp companions rebelling against the commander is somewhat harder to believe though. Even Lana, which is IMO the most patriotic towards the Empire companion at the moment, would rather follow you.

Talos Drellik resigns from a Pub character's Alliance when you start JUS. I'd also say that he's far more patriotic toward the Empire (and especially the Imperial Reclamation Service) than Lana ever was, and especially more patriotic than a post-SoR/Ziost Lana. She, by the time you reach Odessen in KotFE, has definitively transferred her loyalty to the player character. Not, as such, to the Alliance, but to *the*Commander*.

That's exactly my logic as to why someone would try to overthrow the commander. At this point, the Alliance is as much theirs as ours. The initial point of the Alliance was to defeat the Zakuul, but if it turns out to be just another merciless empire bent on galactic domination due to a player's choices, I can definitely see Theron, T7 and Jorgan staging a coup. I use those three as an example because they have the most impact on the story, but any other pub companion, perhaps even some from the Star Fortresses, heck you can even add Senya and Arcann in here, is a potential ally of theirs. Just my thoughts, of course.

I agree I highly doubt that your companions especially your LI will ever leave your character, they will stay with your character through everything. Sure they might not like some of your decisions but they won't leave you, they will stay by your characters side through thick and thin especially your LI if you have one

I mean, you can have your opinion, but it makes no sense for Jorgan, for example, to stick with the Alliance if you continuously make pro-Imperial choices.

As for your love interest - as I already mentioned, I can see pub companions, even romancable ones, betraying an imp-aligned Alliance, the exception being the smuggler ones - Risha, Corso and Akaavi. The alternative is less likely, because all of the original imp LI were either not loyal to the Empire to begin with (Kaliyo, Vette, Mako, Torian, Ashara, Andronikos), were more loyal to the player (Jaesa) or have had their loyalty change (Raina). Vector and Quinn are the only potential betrayers I see, although I admit I don't know what the post-Kotfe story of Vector is. He may be more loyal to the Killiks now for all I know.

As for the new LI i.e. Lana, Theron, Koth and Arcann - Theron and Koth could potentially turn on you if they see you're turning into too much of a dictator. Maaaaybe even Arcann. Lana is the only one that will stay with you I believe, even if you turn out to be a monster.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter.

Talos Drellik resigns from a Pub character's Alliance when you start JUS. I'd also say that he's far more patriotic toward the Empire (and especially the Imperial Reclamation Service) than Lana ever was, and especially more patriotic than a post-SoR/Ziost Lana. She, by the time you reach Odessen in KotFE, has definitively transferred her loyalty to the player character. Not, as such, to the Alliance, but to *the*Commander*.

Huh, interesting. I never took Drellik for the patriotic type. I always assumed he preferred being an archeologist, and it just so happened that he was raised in the Empire. Then again, it's been a while since I played the SI class story, so I may have forgotten some details about him. You're completely correct about Lana though.

Narrative wise they might say they're going away but I think they'll remain on your companion list. Removing the companions the last time didn't go down well, doing it again would be foolish.

I'd much prefer if someone was taken out of my rooster with active companions due to the choices I've made instead of being completely forgotten by the story. There's always the option to make such companions available from the Odessen terminal for those that don't want to lose the credits spent on companion gifts, or who just like that particular companion for whatever reason.

Edited by starwarsfansix

I was actually very much wondering about this. Were those emails we got from the companions after Jedi Under Siege hints for future developments with them, or just a handwavey explanation for why they are still summonable?

There are a few that hint at possibles changes in the future, (Xalek for example). I feel like it would only make sense for some of them to leave you if you make certain choices (although, there is a risk of including too much of that).

I feel like Lana would probably stick by the Commander no matter what, although it's impossible to say that for sure without knowing what the future options would be.

It's hard to tell if Theron would be the same. Maybe, seeing as he's stayed loyal so far, although he does seem to have some objection to strong anti-Jedi behavior, so perhaps not. Koth and Arcann should presumably be fine with either side.

The other love interests are all tied to their old factions in some way though, so I feel like some of them would object to betrayal. They've already included this sort of thing before. Elara breaks up with you if you bomb Zakuul or join the Empire on Iokath. LS Jaesa still joins you but is impossible to romance if you kill Gnost Dural.

I don't think Elara would ever stay with someone who betrayed the Republic. I also have a hard time imagining someone like Nadia or Kira could ever tolerate that in a partner either.

There are a few who have become somewhat disillusioned with their old factions, and thus would probably not object like they once would have, like Iresso or Vector. And I think LS Jaesa should probably be fine with defecting to the Republic, given that she herself was fighting for the Jedi until the Wrath ran into her.

DS Jaesa? Eh, I feel like if there would be any LIs who would be strongly Pro-Empire, it would be her. At the same time though, she's most loyal to the Wrath specifically, and she didn't seem to mention that she had a problem with the Wrath siding with the Republic on Iokath.

this right here Lana's true loyalty is to the player character and is not loyal to the empire or sith or republic or anyone else. She makes it quite clear I think imo that where you go she goes no questions asked or complaints. For example when you talk to lana about Ossus and which faction to choose, you can ask her if she'd have a problem siding with the republic or empire. She says basically "my loyalties are only to you commander" where you go I go.

I sided with the republic so I know Nadia won't betray or leave me especially since I restarted romance with Nadia, and Lana no worries she won't leave and never got a email notification from her about leaving/betraying player character

Edited by Zeerastul

There are a few that hint at possibles changes in the future, (Xalek for example).

What was the gist of Xalek's message? It's been a long time since I played the Zakuul stuff so I don't recall it at all...Xalek's one of my top comps influence-wise (and overall favorites) so he best not be going anywhere!

The messages come after the Ossus storyline, mate. In it you decide to support either the Republic or the Empire.

I was actually very much wondering about this. Were those emails we got from the companions after Jedi Under Siege hints for future developments with them, or just a handwavey explanation for why they are still summonable?

I'd like to believe Bioware are planning on doing something with them, and not just pretending they never existed. But I'm not holding my breath tbh. I agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly, except with the part about Koth and Arcann being ok with everything.

It might be just me, but I don't think Koth cares about Zakuul only, not after the events of KotFE and KotET anyway. So if he sees you turning into the same dictator as Arcann was, slaughtering civilians left and right, I'm certain he'll try something to stop you. But he should be ok with joining the Empire without all of that killy business.

As for Arcann (and Senya to some extent), well, same logic really. Having walked that path before, I'm certain he would at least try to stop you from going down it as well, if not actively sabotage the Alliance.

There's room for a lot of development of their characters. Now, if Bioware would spend the resources into advancing them, that's another thing.

I sided with the republic so I know Nadia won't betray or leave me especially since I restarted romance with Nadia, and Lana no worries she won't leave and never got a email notification from her about leaving/betraying player character

Well, I'm being hypothetical here. But I still think there's a chance for Lana to turn against you, even if it's a slim one. She doesn't strike me as the type of the Sith that can ignore someone ordering the senseless deaths of innocents for too long. So if you go down that path, I think there's a chance she'll turn against you as well.

Edited by starwarsfansix

Well, I'm being hypothetical here. But I still think there's a chance for Lana to turn against you, even if it's a slim one. She doesn't strike me as the type of the Sith that can ignore someone ordering the senseless deaths of innocents for too long. So if you go down that path, I think there's a chance she'll turn against you as well.

While she's not mustache-twirling-evil she's fine with the death of innocents provided it serves a purpose, reminder she approves of you using Firebrand's fear tactics in KOTFE.

Vector and Quinn are the only potential betrayers I see, although I admit I don't know what the post-Kotfe story of Vector is. He may be more loyal to the Killiks now for all I know.

Post-Kotfe Vector says that the Empire used the Killiks as cannon fodder during the war, and large numbers were slaughtered. He says they are ending their agreement with the Empire to work for the Alliance and the commander. So, I don't think he will mind if the commander sides with the Republic. His loyalty is to the commander, and he was always more light-side anyways.

The messages come after the Ossus storyline, mate. In it you decide to support either the Republic or the Empire.

I'd like to believe Bioware are planning on doing something with them, and not just pretending they never existed. But I'm not holding my breath tbh. I agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly, except with the part about Koth and Arcann being ok with everything.

It might be just me, but I don't think Koth cares about Zakuul only, not after the events of KotFE and KotET anyway. So if he sees you turning into the same dictator as Arcann was, slaughtering civilians left and right, I'm certain he'll try something to stop you. But he should be ok with joining the Empire without all of that killy business.

As for Arcann (and Senya to some extent), well, same logic really. Having walked that path before, I'm certain he would at least try to stop you from going down it as well, if not actively sabotage the Alliance.

There's room for a lot of development of their characters. Now, if Bioware would spend the resources into advancing them, that's another thing.

Well you're not wrong about Koth, Arcann and Senya probably having a problem with mass slaughter of civilians, but what I said was that they wouldn't leave you as a consequence of choosing the Republic or Empire. The Empire may be far more included to target civilians, but that's still not quite the same as the Alliance Commander specifically choosing to kill many of them.

Also, speaking just from a mechanics point of view, if they already happen to have the Republic or Imperial patriot characters abandon you for something you did in the expansion, AND also have the same thing apply to the Zakuul characters at the same time, I dunno, that just feels like a lot. I think I'd be a little surprised if the writers include that level of restriction or consequences on a character's choices in the coming expansion.

I'd much prefer if someone was taken out of my rooster with active companions due to the choices I've made instead of being completely forgotten by the story. There's always the option to make such companions available from the Odessen terminal for those that don't want to lose the credits spent on companion gifts, or who just like that particular companion for whatever reason.

That I will agree with but that isn't the way BW has done it so far. They have allowed some companions to be killed (and they were mostly romance companions) and then the ones that didn't take that option still has no interactions with them. BW doesn't have a very good history of knowing how to work companions correctly.

How you do your story is fine but this constantly removing or benching those companions to those of us who didn't do that has what has gotten people not to trust BW with companions anymore.

Post-Kotfe Vector says that the Empire used the Killiks as cannon fodder during the war, and large numbers were slaughtered. He says they are ending their agreement with the Empire to work for the Alliance and the commander. So, I don't think he will mind if the commander sides with the Republic. His loyalty is to the commander, and he was always more light-side anyways.

In all honesty I doubt the companions that we get back through pre-JUS restricted alerts will leave again (Ahara, Vector, Andro, Mako etc.) and also the companions that play a role in the Eternal Empire storyline like Kaliyo and Vette.

My guess is that companions like Pierce and the Propaganda droid that are obviously loyal to their starting factions will leave. Maybe the companions that are utilized in JUS will have a break-off point too, depending on your actions.

Can the consular for example even recruit Nadia if they are siding with the imps? Supposedly the new allignment is covert.