Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Allow us to purchase from Plantary Comm vendors at 1-2 levels under requirement

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Allow us to purchase from Plantary Comm vendors at 1-2 levels under requirement

Cyberberus's Avatar


Cyberberus
04.30.2014 , 05:30 PM | #1
That would let us start using comms towards the next equipment/mod level

SW_display_name's Avatar


SW_display_name
04.30.2014 , 05:52 PM | #2
Would be hugely useful for all those times you're on Fleet to dump coms and you'd really much rather buy your mods for the next 4-5 levels.

I have never been a fan of games gating purchaseable items by level there's enough warnings in place that "HEY, YOU CAN'T WEAR THIS YET" and the worst thing that happens is the new player goes "Oh " and... waits a few levels and then puts it on anyway.

#Boo @nannying.

Misako_Oono's Avatar


Misako_Oono
04.30.2014 , 07:55 PM | #3
I can understand not having the right valor or social levels blocking the purchase of items, but level should not be be a reason. I fully agree with this.

Cyberberus's Avatar


Cyberberus
04.30.2014 , 09:33 PM | #4
Well ... I don't want to get greedy which is why I asked for 1-2 levels prior ...

... mostly since if you are at an even level when you max out your comms (100) you have to go thru that level either buying those stupid grab boxes that always seem to give out trash or accept trash as mission end rewards.

The toon I'm runnning tonite for instance is seeing level 45-47 rewards for level 48 missions.

If I could buy level 49 stuff NOW I would have it when I ding the level and not feel I'm actually earning my way to a better reward rather than taking trash that's a lesser item than I am currently geared with.

Boccanon's Avatar


Boccanon
04.30.2014 , 10:51 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberberus View Post
Well ... I don't want to get greedy which is why I asked for 1-2 levels prior ...

... mostly since if you are at an even level when you max out your comms (100) you have to go thru that level either buying those stupid grab boxes that always seem to give out trash or accept trash as mission end rewards.

The toon I'm runnning tonite for instance is seeing level 45-47 rewards for level 48 missions.

If I could buy level 49 stuff NOW I would have it when I ding the level and not feel I'm actually earning my way to a better reward rather than taking trash that's a lesser item than I am currently geared with.
Another way to approuch this issue is to increase the max amount of comm's to 150-200. That way u can afford to dress up your companion aswell. I have a Cybertech I use to Craft most of my Armoring pieces, I use most of my earned comm's to dress up my companion. But not all players are into crafting and I can understand why this then presents a problem.
Think first, act later...

GatorAndy's Avatar


GatorAndy
05.01.2014 , 07:51 AM | #6
I agree with this change.

Most of the time, I just buy ahead a few levels for a lower character than the one I'm making the purchase with, and transfer the mods.

Another work-around I occasionally use is to purchase the item boxes, but don't open them, then buy more before the hour timer expires and sell the first set of boxes back. It's tedious, but allows you to sort of store more comms than the cap allows.

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
05.01.2014 , 08:32 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GatorAndy View Post
I agree with this change.

Most of the time, I just buy ahead a few levels for a lower character than the one I'm making the purchase with, and transfer the mods.

Another work-around I occasionally use is to purchase the item boxes, but don't open them, then buy more before the hour timer expires and sell the first set of boxes back. It's tedious, but allows you to sort of store more comms than the cap allows.
And this is why they should both up the commendation limit and ditch the level requirement. It is very possible to keep buying and selling boxes and such to keep an effective amount of commendation above 100.

IMO they should up the limit, remove the level restriction on mods, and clean up the vendors such that all main stat items are available every two levels in both tank (endurance heavy) version and dps / heal version (mainstat heavy).

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
05.01.2014 , 09:17 AM | #8
Yeah, with the item itself blocking it from being equipped I never understood the need to block the actual purchase of the items. Unless they just don't want people buying up Makeb Mods from level 1 onwards and then just equipping a full set the second they hit 50. But hey, if they took the time and effort to do that, I don't see the problem.

At most, they should just have a pop-up warning (with "don't show this warning again" toggle) that says "This item requires a higher level than your current character. You will not be able to equip it until you reach that level. Are you sure you want to buy?" And even that is pretty hand-holdy, especially since there are refund timers.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
05.01.2014 , 07:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Yeah, with the item itself blocking it from being equipped I never understood the need to block the actual purchase of the items. Unless they just don't want people buying up Makeb Mods from level 1 onwards and then just equipping a full set the second they hit 50. But hey, if they took the time and effort to do that, I don't see the problem.

At most, they should just have a pop-up warning (with "don't show this warning again" toggle) that says "This item requires a higher level than your current character. You will not be able to equip it until you reach that level. Are you sure you want to buy?" And even that is pretty hand-holdy, especially since there are refund timers.
Funny thing though, if you shuffle boxes (the 24 comm purple lock boxes), you can hit 50 with more than enough comms to gear yourself, your primary companion and the rest of your crew.

Thus neither the limit nor the inability to purchase stuff ahead of your level actually prevent players from amassing enough comms to buy whatever they want when they hit the right level.

The only thing they do is add a minor annoyance, and prevent say a level 20 from buying a Makeb mod and selling it on the GTN - which just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.