Genuine Thanks, Dev Team, For "Jedi Under Siege"

RadiantVII

I can't listen to podcasts, so I am very relieved that you and the others confirmed that it's not a definitive thing to merge.

I'm grateful that Charles appears to be listening to fans on this, if he's saying that there will be an Alliance-based option in the future and we won't all have to return to being Imperial or Republic servants.

Same, for my Republic characters. I have no desire to see any of them return to the Jedi or Republic and that would be a special kind of hell for them - my Jedi would literally airlock themselves before letting that happen. If the story forced them to merge their Alliance back into the Republic I couldn't play them anymore.

Just to be clear: He didn't really say there would definitely be an option to keep the Alliance. He also didn't say they would definitely be merging the Alliance with the original factions, either. What he DID say is that he recognizes that there are people on both sides of the fence on that issue, and he would like to do his best to please any/all. So, at least he recognizes that there are people on both sides of this coin, even if people on each side of it act like theirs is "the majority" (which no one can really know for sure).

I know that many also keep posting that the story going one way or the other would be a "deal breaker" for them. I hate to say it, but I don't think that really matters. It's always sad when the game loses players, but to threaten quitting over the way the story goes really won't affect the way that the story goes... no matter which side of the issue you are on. I say that not to belittle anyone's opinion here, but based on the fact that they have lost very, very large swaths of the population over decisions they have made in the past, and no amount of feedback or subscription erosion has changed their course of action once they make up their mind, with the exception of the major change of course from story chapters for three years that was cut short in dramatic fashion when that approach nearly lost them their game.

And now that I've typed this out I see that there has been a sort of transcript of that part of the conversation written up... so yeah. I think you can tell just by the way he states things that he recognizes the duality in the desires of the players to either keep the Alliance or not, and I think he will likely do his best to respect that in the story. But I don't think it means a guarantee of anything. There might come a point where he has to do one or the other in a more finite way than he'd like, just due to the constraints of the budget they are under and how many threads of this story they can produce to give people options.

Bottom line, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by PennyAnn

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear: He didn't really say there would definitely be an option to keep the Alliance. He also didn't say they would definitely be merging the Alliance with the original factions, either. What he DID say is that he recognizes that there are people on both sides of the fence on that issue, and he would like to do his best to please any/all. So, at least he recognizes that there are people on both sides of this coin, even if people on each side of it act like theirs is "the majority" (which no one can really know for sure). I know that many also keep posting that the story going one way or the other would be a "deal breaker" for them. I hate to say it, but I don't think that really matters. It's always sad when the game loses players, but to threaten quitting over the way the story goes really won't affect the way that the story goes... no matter which side of the issue you are on.

And now that I've typed this out I see that there has been a sort of transcript of that part of the conversation written up... so yeah. I think you can tell just by the way he states things that he recognizes the duality in the desires of the players to either keep the Alliance or not, and I think he will likely do his best to respect that in the story. But I don't think it means a guarantee of anything. There might come a point where he has to do one or the other in a more finite way than he'd like, just do to the constraints of the budget they are under and how many threads of this story they can produce to give people options.

I don't agree with penny often, but definitely everything here. He (Charles) said, in regards to where the story goes, basically nothing other then knowing and acknowledging that there is great vocal supporters for Alliance and no-Alliance imo.

I didn't mind JuS much at all, just a couple of gripes.. very different to my negative thoughts of everything since Iokath (story or otherwise), so an improvement. I'm thoroughly back in the waiting to see what happens camp before gushing about how good, or complaining about how bad, the story is now. It was the very first step, there will be more before any of this gets narrowed down. I'm more interested in what they'll do about the whole saboteur part.

Edited by Asmodesu

Just to be clear: He didn't really say there would definitely be an option to keep the Alliance. He also didn't say they would definitely be merging the Alliance with the original factions, either. What he DID say is that he recognizes that there are people on both sides of the fence on that issue, and he would like to do his best to please any/all. So, at least he recognizes that there are people on both sides of this coin, even if people on each side of it act like theirs is "the majority" (which no one can really know for sure).

I know that many also keep posting that the story going one way or the other would be a "deal breaker" for them. I hate to say it, but I don't think that really matters. It's always sad when the game loses players, but to threaten quitting over the way the story goes really won't affect the way that the story goes... no matter which side of the issue you are on. I say that not to belittle anyone's opinion here, but based on the fact that they have lost very, very large swaths of the population over decisions they have made in the past, and no amount of feedback or subscription erosion has changed their course of action once they make up their mind, with the exception of the major change of course from story chapters for three years that was cut short in dramatic fashion when that approach nearly lost them their game.

And now that I've typed this out I see that there has been a sort of transcript of that part of the conversation written up... so yeah. I think you can tell just by the way he states things that he recognizes the duality in the desires of the players to either keep the Alliance or not, and I think he will likely do his best to respect that in the story. But I don't think it means a guarantee of anything. There might come a point where he has to do one or the other in a more finite way than he'd like, just due to the constraints of the budget they are under and how many threads of this story they can produce to give people options.

I understand all that you're saying. It still makes me feel better that it's still something up in the air and that they do acknowledge that there are players with both preferences.

I don't think that they will base their decisions on whether fans will quit, either - whatever story path(s) they choose there will invariably be someone who is unhappy with it. But I do think that it's important for players to continue to say what they do and don't want to see, for the simple reason that the devs do see and acknowledge it. When I personally say "X will make the game unplayable for me" I'm not actually trying to level a threat; I'm just saying what will make the game unplayable for me, personally.

Love the story telling of this game.

Absolutely hate the guy who made the call on changing the drop distribution by adding relics/implants/earpieces to other gear piece boxes making the chance of getting pieces like pants/legs to 14% per box per weekly. I dont mind grinding. But relying on RNG to check if an hour of my life per weekly is going to be a waste or not at 70% chance of it being a waste, is absolute F-ing trash !

DPS spec lower body armor has 5 relics it can drop along with a legs and pants piece. 5/7 drop chance assuming they all have the same drop rate. 70+% to get a relic which i cannot transfer to alt after 258 upgrade.

And the dead revived guy grew like 4 feet. I have a screen shot of him and my SI on Ilum and he isn't nearly as tall as the towering giant I encountered on Ossus.

There can be only one explanation...

*Insert slick corporate voice* Cybernetic legs with adjustable tallness by Malora Evil Incorporated, match your height to every occasion!

I understand all that you're saying. It still makes me feel better that it's still something up in the air and that they do acknowledge that there are players with both preferences.

I don't think that they will base their decisions on whether fans will quit, either - whatever story path(s) they choose there will invariably be someone who is unhappy with it. But I do think that it's important for players to continue to say what they do and don't want to see, for the simple reason that the devs do see and acknowledge it. When I personally say "X will make the game unplayable for me" I'm not actually trying to level a threat; I'm just saying what will make the game unplayable for me, personally.

I can understand the hope that Charles gives people because I think he really does recognize that the community has really diametrically opposed factions when it comes to where the story takes us. I just always temper that with the realization that he doesn't have the support from EA to tell the story he'd like to tell and please the various groups of players he'd like to by being able to diversify where the story goes, at least a little bit. When it's a major deal that there is a separate story line for the Republic and Empire's two factions, but no other difference otherwise - we're not in a very good place (considering how this game and story line began, especially).

I also agree that people should express how they feel and give feedback here. That's what these forums are for, afterall. But there are many (even if not you) in not just this thread but all over the boards who threaten to pull their sub unless this is changed or that is changed... or they talk about how Bioware will lose subs "by the masses" if they don't fix A or B before "it's too late". People that come from that point of view are just setting themselves up to be disappointed... as the history of the game has shown us that no ACTUAL massive loss of subscriptions changes their mind on most things once they decide something is going in the game, so threats of that happening probably don't even register on their radar.

Edited by PennyAnn

@Ylliarus

I actually liked KotET and KotFE very much. It would be an awesome story for a single-player game, but not for MMO for sure: an "eternal commander" of the most powerful faction in the galaxy does a brute work with his own bare hands instead of sending troops? The second problem is that "outlander" has defeated the most powerful being in the galaxy and is such a Mary Sue, that it's really hard to imagine anyone challenging him at this point.

Funny thing is, that on the one side, you killed the most powerful being in the galaxy (Vitiate) but on the other side you are not nearly as powerful skill-wise as someone like Malgus. I mean, just look at the scenario where you have him as your companion in the jedi-library and he has some skills where he is able to knock out 3-4 npcs single-handed with 1 ability (with AMAZING animations btw). And you're running next to him, struggling to get 1 elite down, still looking animations-wise like a scrub. I felt a little like: "Ok... THATS the way MY Sith should work".

I know they probably never will cuz this is a mmo with PvP-Aspects but hey, our characters are not "that" Mary-Sueish.

Edited by Jesseriah

I'll comment...5.10 blows me away. It's the best X.XX update we've had since Oricon imo...and similarly huge. I NEVER expected it to be anywhere near this massive, so I'm extremely pleased! It introduced Rep, tons of new missions, ranks, gear, and a ton of crap that I love about it. Better than Yavin and Rishi combined imo...lacks a new Operation and FPs, but still amazing. Very nice addition to the game.

This doesn't mean 5.10 is without flaws...but the flaws aren't specific to the new area, they're in the design and gearing.

I have a small complaint. I understand why we can't completely switch sides but if you are a saboteur your weeklies should not be helping the side you are trying to overthrow. Why would my agent, who is supporting the republic, need to do empire based dailies/weekly that hurt the republic. Doesn't make sense.

I have a small complaint. I understand why we can't completely switch sides but if you are a saboteur your weeklies should not be helping the side you are trying to overthrow. Why would my agent, who is supporting the republic, need to do empire based dailies/weekly that hurt the republic. Doesn't make sense.

Good question. On my saboteurs I simply won't do any of the dailies as they are.

What people is complaining about is the gearing system mostly. The story is short and is coming late, but it's in the right direction. I think they won't be able to undo the Zakuul disaster, but it's nice to see again a story arc with the quality level of Makeb. After all the KotFE/ET/traitor plot, it's the best thing we can ask in story terms.

I don't think the KotFE/KotET was a disaster. The idea was great , the realisation not because it was to much interactive Video than playing a game.

But the Story Idea was great, a disaster was the Change to skip/Change part three and Focus on OP/PvP. In my opinion going back to a stupid black/White scheme republic against Sith is a greater disaster. A compley Galaxy with several fractions Sith, Republic, Alliance, Hutt Cartel, Gree and some other would give so much posibilities for great stories and questlines.

It's one of the things I don't understand. In Iokath you had the choice to do dailies for either side. Why not here, too?

It's one of the things I don't understand. In Iokath you had the choice to do dailies for either side. Why not here, too?

That caused so many issues though... you ever try to form a group to do the dailies or ops? well system would kick whoever fought on opposite factions, chat was pretty much useless, couldn't even invite guild mates or friends if you sided on opposite faction or even search for them because according to the system they didn't exist. So yes from a story perspective it would make sense to do it that way again, but i like not having so many weird issues to work around. Plus we may be able to change our faction in the future. A quote from their recent podcast -

Story

5.10: backstory and multiple perspectives on storyline, two separate storylines was the intention based on player feedback and made sense after 4.0 and 5.0.

Choices made before and in 5.10 will matter in future, considering the option to swap faction at a later point but depends on storyline development.

There could be a small additional patch with story before 6.0

Edited by CrazyScruffy

That caused so many issues though... you ever try to form a group to do the dailies or ops? well system would kick whoever fought on opposite factions, chat was pretty much useless, couldn't even invite guild mates or friends if you sided on opposite faction or even search for them because according to the system they didn't exist. So yes from a story perspective it would make sense to do it that way again, but i like not having so many weird issues to work around. Plus we may be able to change our faction in the future. A quote from their recent podcast -

I don't really care about grouping whether it's for dailies or ops, so no I didn't.

I do hope they do come up with a way for people to really change factions. The saboteur thing is terrible.

I don't really care about grouping whether it's for dailies or ops, so no I didn't.

I do hope they do come up with a way for people to really change factions. The saboteur thing is terrible.

It' really crap, I mean we can still be in charge of our Alliance , but Why the Hell would i Ever want to kill my own brothers and sisters from the Empire or Republic. How stupid are they? Also, why the hell would i ever let that SiS agent call me a back stabber like that without almost almost choking him to death, and him giving me an apalogy.

My Jedi felt abandoned by his companions and the Republic after his carbonite awakening so he has vowed "no more Mr. Nice Guy", essentially becoming more hardened. My question is, have any of you chosen to support your opposite faction when starting Inflection Point?

I told Lana I was siding with the Empire (as a Jedi) and she said cool, but are you sure, you might have to put down some of your old contacts (paraphrasing)...like a warning. So now I am second guessing my decision. I backed out of the convo and thinking it over.

I actually really like the way they're handling the saboteur thing at the moment. What we all need to realise is that this is only the beginning, Charles Boyd has said that the thing will grow much bigger and more impactful as the story progresses. From the things he said during the Bad Feeling Podcast interview they really have amazing things planned for the Loyalist/Saboteur narrative :)

Also, I'm not too bothered about the not-switching thing, I never did anyway in Iokath. If I sided with Empire then I kept doing the Empire dailies and vice versa. Apparently people didn't switch that much if Bioware didn't implement the same here, because they must have seen from their data it was barely used.

I actually really like the way they're handling the saboteur thing at the moment. What we all need to realise is that this is only the beginning, Charles Boyd has said that the thing will grow much bigger and more impactful as the story progresses. From the things he said during the Bad Feeling Podcast interview they really have amazing things planned for the Loyalist/Saboteur narrative :)

Also, I'm not too bothered about the not-switching thing, I never did anyway in Iokath. If I sided with Empire then I kept doing the Empire dailies and vice versa. Apparently people didn't switch that much if Bioware didn't implement the same here, because they must have seen from their data it was barely used.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, but IMHO it would make my toons behave in ways that are totally out of character. They are the sort of people who would openly state their loyalties, not behave like underhanded snakes and lie to everyone around them.

It's not even logical for the Republic to trust my characters anymore; Satele has noted their 'dark sided nature' since the class stories and they've supported the Empire at every opportunity.

As for Iokath, I don't know that too many people do the dailies there at all, TBH. I don't - because they're hopelessly bugged for me (I have the glitch where my abilities bar unlocks and can't be closed on Iokath, so it's pretty impossible to fight). But if you supported the Empire you could do the Empire's dailies. With Ossus even if you supported the Empire, if you're a Republic character you still have to do the Republic's dailies, which story-wise doesn't make sense for a saboteur.

My Jedi felt abandoned by his companions and the Republic after his carbonite awakening so he has vowed "no more Mr. Nice Guy", essentially becoming more hardened. My question is, have any of you chosen to support your opposite faction when starting Inflection Point?

I told Lana I was siding with the Empire (as a Jedi) and she said cool, but are you sure, you might have to put down some of your old contacts (paraphrasing)...like a warning. So now I am second guessing my decision. I backed out of the convo and thinking it over.

It does feel like a massive decision, lol. I've had two Imps become saboteurs for the Pubs and I have to admit to having a wobble about it. Now I'm okay, but you do want to be sure. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it, but IMHO it would make my toons behave in ways that are totally out of character. They are the sort of people who would openly state their loyalties, not behave like underhanded snakes and lie to everyone around them.

It's not even logical for the Republic to trust my characters anymore; Satele has noted their 'dark sided nature' since the class stories and they've supported the Empire at every opportunity.

As for Iokath, I don't know that too many people do the dailies there at all, TBH. I don't - because they're hopelessly bugged for me (I have the glitch where my abilities bar unlocks and can't be closed on Iokath, so it's pretty impossible to fight). But if you supported the Empire you could do the Empire's dailies. With Ossus even if you supported the Empire, if you're a Republic character you still have to do the Republic's dailies, which story-wise doesn't make sense for a saboteur.

I guess for characters like yours a more open statement of "hey, I am joining the Empire/Republic" would have suited them better. But I am absolutely convinced you'll get that opportunity in the future, because Charles Boyd said he has some really good stuff planned regarding the Saboteur storyline. He said that they might really go far with it storywise, in the sense that you might get a guilty conscience for being a saboteur irl for the things your character will have to do :) it really sounded promising!

As I said, this was only the beginning of the new storyline and it would be somewhat anticlimactic if you immediately could swap factions or nuke your original faction. It's good that they will build up to it! It will be an extra wait, sure, but that way they can make a really impactful storyline around it :)

Tbh I haven't been doing the Iokath dailies either. At one point I just have up on doing them weekly as they're just... a nope for me too xD the Iokath storyline itself was enjoyable but the rest of Iokath was a flop, sadly.

But Ossus seriously gives me Oricon vibes and that is, to date, my favourite dailies area to do. They really have executed the Ossus storyline excellently and the dailies simply don't get tedious for me. I am honestly doing them daily happily and once the devs fix the worldboss weekly bug, things will be even better :D

I guess for characters like yours a more open statement of "hey, I am joining the Empire/Republic" would have suited them better. But I am absolutely convinced you'll get that opportunity in the future, because Charles Boyd said he has some really good stuff planned regarding the Saboteur storyline. He said that they might really go far with it storywise, in the sense that you might get a guilty conscience for being a saboteur irl for the things your character will have to do :) it really sounded promising!

As I said, this was only the beginning of the new storyline and it would be somewhat anticlimactic if you immediately could swap factions or nuke your original faction. It's good that they will build up to it! It will be an extra wait, sure, but that way they can make a really impactful storyline around it :)

Tbh I haven't been doing the Iokath dailies either. At one point I just have up on doing them weekly as they're just... a nope for me too xD the Iokath storyline itself was enjoyable but the rest of Iokath was a flop, sadly.

But Ossus seriously gives me Oricon vibes and that is, to date, my favourite dailies area to do. They really have executed the Ossus storyline excellently and the dailies simply don't get tedious for me. I am honestly doing them daily happily and once the devs fix the worldboss weekly bug, things will be even better :D

I really like the Ossus dailies too, overall, and have enjoyed running around on the planet. And I love all the decos that are dropping and the ones that can be bought at the vendor. So I'm having fun.

But having said that I'm still not a fan of the saboteur stuff. There should be a way to switch factions without turning your character into an evil, backstabbing snake who is lying to everyone. I don't want my characters to be in a position where I "feel guilty" about what they have to do; I just want them to be able to walk away from one faction and join the other.