Who is stonger - SWG Jedi Pre NGE or SWTOR Jedi?

Cybernator

I did not play SWG in its infancy, unfortunately, so never got to experience what Jedi were like in that game, pre-NGE. My question to those of you who may have, as you tell from the thread title, is fairly obvious. How do they compare? Is it fair to even make the comparison?

Based on my playing SWG post NGE, I can say at least that my SWTOR JG, at level 50, would have simply owned a lvl 90 NGE Jedi. From what I've read on the interweb, there was a huge difference in what Jedi could do in SWG from pre to post NGE.

I did not play SWG in its infancy, unfortunately, so never got to experience what Jedi were like in that game, pre-NGE. My question to those of you who may have, as you tell from the thread title, is fairly obvious. How do they compare? Is it fair to even make the comparison?

Based on my playing SWG post NGE, I can say at least that my SWTOR JG, at level 50, would have simply owned a lvl 90 NGE Jedi. From what I've read on the interweb, there was a huge difference in what Jedi could do in SWG from pre to post NGE.

well they had to make them powefull because pre NGE they had perma death.

It would suck if you spent months trying to get a jedi and then just died on a random mob.

well they had to make them powefull because pre NGE they had perma death.

It would suck if you spent months trying to get a jedi and then just died on a random mob.

I only played SWG briefly, but this was one of the most idiotic mechanics ever implemented into an MMO. Perma-death, really? No. You don't do that. Durability hits, skill loss, etc -- all acceptable within reason. Perma death and time loss? No lol.

I played SWG for 8 years.... there was no perma death

Yes there was. In the original SWG if you managed to become a Jedi Pre NGE and you died. It was permanent but Jedi classes of that time were extremely rare and also extremely powerful. Jedi was the only thing that had perma death. Of course you couldn't pick Jedi.

Yes there was perma-death it was at the VERY beginning of when jedi's were first coming around, it lasted maybe a week though and they changed it. You really brought back some memories from this thread, I remember the system wide message we all got when the first one was unlocked.

Personally though I think jedi's of Pre-Cu would be a lot tougher AFTER they put in lightsaber dmg since the original dmg was kinetic, Once they threw in the lightsaber dmg though they would melt face since jedi's were limited at one point.

So that means BH's, Troopers, IA's and smugglers armor would be show against a jedi's and have increased dmg against them soooo SWG wins imo.

pre cu jedis are extremely powerful compared to swtor. as a master defender i could tank 5 people for 15-20 mins at a time, it was wicked. granted i couldnt do any damage what so ever but the rest of my group would mop up while i took all the attention

SWG Jedi are stronger, because they we're designed to be stronger than the normal classes. At the beginning in SWG Jedi's were extreme rare because none knew how to become one. Once the word got out, people started to grind profession like madmens.

Jedi got his overkill with the village patch, where you could trade normal xp for "jedi" xp.

Edited by Dreeb

Pre NGE Jedi were designed as alpha class which meant you could wtfpwn 3-4 non-jedi of similar level. Then came the village which meant getting jedi became a boring grind but simple so anyone could do it. They were also nerfed at this time but still a little tougher then non-jedi. Then they were further nerfed when NGE came along and anyone could choose Jedi from lvl 1 - no more alpha class at any level.

Ask yourself could your JK in SWTOR take down 3-4 BHs of same level. If not then yea...

I played SWG from beta to year one.

The holocron grind killed the game for me and I swore I would never play a SOE MMO ever again.

IMO... Jedi as a playable class killed SWG.

I do remember that there was one and only one 4-4-4-4 Jedi on the server I was playing on and my guild went pvping with his guild. We went to Theed and I watched as he wtfpwn'd 10 Imperial players by himself.

Edited by Quiet

I played SWG from beta to year one.

The holocron grind killed the game for me and I swore I would never play a SOE MMO ever again.

IMO... Jedi as a playable class killed SWG.

I do remember that there was one and only one 4-4-4-4 Jedi on the server I was playing on and my guild went pvping with his guild. We went to Theed and I watched as he wtfpwn'd 10 Imperial players by himself.

^^This. There were 2-3 on my server, and they were listed as Guardians. My 4 man Jedi Gank Squad (4 Master BH's) pulled his mission on day and went to tracking him. About an hour later we caught up to him out in the middle of nowhere on Lok. We attacked and he commenced to smashing our faces in a quick fashion. We abandoned his mission.

When SWG/Sony announced the "village quest line" where any one could be a Jedi there was a little time before it went live. Soe said to the Jedi that went through the grind to unlocked before this. "This is your time" and made them pretty much unbeatable. If you examined them they showed like a npc not a player. I've seen one Jedi lay waste to two stacked tkm's at once during that time, one of the two was me. Hats off to all the SWG Jedi that unlocked pre-cu.

I played SWG for 8 years.... there was no perma death

LOL

"Pre Pub-9"

When SWG/Sony announced the "village quest line" where any one could be a Jedi there was a little time before it went live. Soe said to the Jedi that went through the grind to unlocked before this. "This is your time" and made them pretty much unbeatable. If you examined them they showed like a npc not a player. I've seen one Jedi lay waste to two stacked tkm's at once during that time, one of the two was me. Hats off to all the SWG Jedi that unlocked pre-cu.

There were a lot of factors to that. Stats mattered back then. Ranged/Melee defense and KD defense were huge.

Dual spec/dabblers were huge

Gear meant something. Post pub 10 with the FRS made it worth while to obtain the high res. robes.

It was indeed a lot of fun but it was also a much slower placed combat system and is not really in the same league as SWTOR combat.

Also, SWG CU Master Powers Cloaking was boss.

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

Yes there was perma-death it was at the VERY beginning of when jedi's were first coming around, it lasted maybe a week though and they changed it. You really brought back some memories from this thread, I remember the system wide message we all got when the first one was unlocked.

Personally though I think jedi's of Pre-Cu would be a lot tougher AFTER they put in lightsaber dmg since the original dmg was kinetic, Once they threw in the lightsaber dmg though they would melt face since jedi's were limited at one point.

So that means BH's, Troopers, IA's and smugglers armor would be show against a jedi's and have increased dmg against them soooo SWG wins imo.

You are a fool if you think it lasted a week. It lasted from publish 1 to publish 9 ( over a year) publish 9 changed the jedi system to an xp loss xp debt system and also completely revamped their skill prgression taking it from a single luke skywalker esque jack of all trades to a mix and match between 5 specialization trees.

Also the kinetic lightsabers were more powerful than lightsaber damage due to the fact that kinetic sabers did up to 2500 max damage x10 for the final lightsaber aoe hit.

vs 500 *5. Also you could get psg's with lightsaber resists and slap a anti decay kit on them then all of a sudden you had a 50 percent resist to lightsabers.

it sound to me like you didn't even play pre-cu.

I also played from beta through 2007. It was a great game and I had a super time as a master doctor. I had crafting plants and miners on all the planets that I could find.

I had a good reputation on Bria and Intrepid where I started.. and did as much as I could to make and sell good meds.

The breakthrough in Jedi making, Not CU, Not NGE, messed it up for me.. soon everyone was no longer fighting imperials or rebels they were actively grinding meds. I sold lots of base materials but, we lost so much..

We lost the companionship when most of use doc's would stay in the hospitals and heal you all for tips of stat damage etc.. I even became a dancer on another server to heal that too.. it was fun..but all for nothing people had to be jedi...

Great Wookie BH became so-so wookie jedi. and on and on.

Somewhere on the no longer functioning SOE servers is my character Simae Opae Master doctor with thousands of components from all the worlds..

It is a shame that 1 FS slot wasnt just given to people. Let them get it out of their systems..

SWG ended when everyone threw away all they knew and started to be jedi..

mal

Edited by pmalygris

Pre Pub 9, as mentioned, had perma-death for jedi that died 3 times IIRC.

I had almost made it to jedi prior to Pub 9, then the village unlocked and had to go that route.

Pre-CU - Jedi were still an alpha class and a player with any skill, and at least 4 ranks in 2 trees could do a ton of damage and not really have to worry about being on a bounty board.

Post CU - Jedi lost their alpha class status, more or less, but were still auto-flagged for PvP. A 4444 jedi could get stomped by any skilled BH that with little effort.

I stopped playing in disgust about a week after CU patched.

NGE - Played for about 2 months, then got disgusted with the game, after seeing 500 cookie cutter jedi running around, and always getting spammed with duel pop-ups from commandos with lava cannons. Also the idea of most of the population being jedi was quite a tangent from the timeline of the game when there weren't any jedi. Luke wasn't even a jedi at that point - he was just a force sensitive wannabe.

So to the original question of JG vs. Pre-NGE Jedi? JG would win. JG vs. Pre-CU Jedi? Pre-CU Jedi would mop the floor with the JG.

Pre Pub 9, as mentioned, had perma-death for jedi that died 3 times IIRC.

Actually it worked liek this.

Jedi Initiat- fresh jedi character- 3 deaths

Jedi Padawan +5

Jedi Apprentice + 2

Jedi Knight + 10

jedi guardian + 5

Jedi Master ( unattainable there never existed a jedi master) +20

If you NEVER died you had 45 deaths at jedi master. However this was changed i believe around pub 6. Instead of a global counter it was a weekly counter. Instead of adding deaths it was teh total times you could die that week.

Initiate-3

Padawan-5

apprentice- 7

Kngiht-10

guardian -20

Master- 30 (again still unattainable).

The stipulation was that if you reached "master" and you died you would become a blue glowie and still be able to log into the character and go anywhere you wanted in the game, only able to be seen by other jedi.

There was indeed. The stories you hear about maxed Jedi in pre-CU killing entire groups of players by themselves weren't just stories. I witnessed it myself before I got my own FS character unlocked. The permadeath penalty was an attempt to balance out their incredible power, but enough people cried and the devs changed it to XP loss.