The Time Between

MishaCantu

A/N:

I'm back again, yay, I hope. This is a sequel, of sorts, to Forget Me, Remember Voss. I have no idea how long the story will be, maybe 10 chapters, maybe 30, it depends on what the story has to say. I also have no idea when or if the remainder of our companions will be returning, in game, or what they have been doing in the last 6 years, game time. This is my take on what may have happened, some elements of game story, some straight out of my head. I had a lot of internal battles as to whether or not to even write or post it, but some things just keep tapping you on the shoulder until you pay attention.

The first parts may be a bit angsty for some of you, since it is Vector's part of the story and he has lost everything. Also, I doubt my updates will be more frequent than once a week, since I am making a lot of this stuff up as I go. Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

The Time Between

Chapter One

Vector watched the rear view of the ship on the monitor and witnessed everything he held most dear explode in blinding white light. Her song crescendoed into a deafening shriek before going silent and the weight of despair and disbelief drove him to his knees. His arms hung limply at his sides and his chin sank to his chest as he felt the Phantom jump to hyperspace.

She had been cruelly ripped from his life for the second time but this was different. Before, when Serevin had taken her, hope had clung to him like a protective cloak. But now, he was a lost child, groping in the dark, seeking the light of her aura and being answered by a void that gripped his heart. Not even the nest could reach him through the desolation.

His blood thundered in his ears, he couldn’t breathe and there was no spit in his mouth, he could not swallow. He was so very cold, his muscles contracted as he shivered and then he heard a voice, from far away, “Come on, Vector.” His face stung from the slap.

Reality tilted and suddenly snapped back into clarity, like something elastic stretched to the limit and then lot go. He saw the hand come at his face again and caught it in mid swing, giving the arm a painful twist as he looked up into the face of Kaliyo.

“Never strike us again.”

Frowning and rubbing her arm, Kaliyo responded. “Like I care, snap the hell out of it, Vector, we need you right now, we can mourn later.”

Mourn, death, finality, alone, the words assaulted his mind like a cudgel, blow after blow and he could not silence them, he could find no peace. “Leave us be, you will find no aid here.”

Vector struggled to his feet, teetering on legs that shook. Dr. Lokin reached out to steady him as he took the few steps to the co-pilot seat and sank into the cushions. He leaned back against the headrest and closed his eyes, seeing nothing but her face and the white light that engulfed it.

“Pull yourself together, man,” entreated Lokin.

“We are empty, doctor, there are no pieces to reassemble.”

Kaliyo snorted, “That’s bulls.hit and you know it, Vector. She wanted us to go back to Imperial space and tell them what was coming. I personally don’t give a crap, but she would expect it of you. Don’t you dare let her down.”

“Give him some space, Kaliyo,” said Lokin. “He will eventually do the right thing, he always does.”

‘He always does, he always does’ the words rotated round and round his brain, ‘the right thing, the right thing’, he could no longer grasp the meaning, he inhaled deeply and smelled her scent on his clothes as his mind wandered back to the last time he saw her.

Darth Marr had summoned all of his allies, both Republic and Imperial, to hunt down a new force that was decimating remote colonies and outposts along the border of wild space. The attack on Korriban was the last goading factor that forced Darth Marr into action.

The emperor had already fled after consuming every living thing on Ziost and now there was this new threat to both factions and Marr sensed the involvement of the emperor at the center of it all.

Rey’elle was a ghost as far as sith intelligence was concerned, a blip, answering solely to her own sense of priorities. However, after Yavin 4, her presence carried more weight and her loyalty to the empire dictated that she assist Darth Marr with his hunt.

They had docked with Marr’s Terminus class destroyer, the Agrona, just inside wild space and Vector had accompanied her through the airlock before she sent him back to the ship to assist Kaliyo with refueling and resupply.

They had stopped just outside the entrance and he had pulled her close, “please, love, let us stay at our rightful place by your side. There is something here that bothers us.”

She had hooked her arms around his neck, “nonsense, Vector, what safer place than Marr’s flagship. I will be fine and I won’t be long, I need you to assist Kaliyo and make sure the ship is ready when I return.”

He had kissed her, holding his lips to hers as long as he could until the door slid open and he was forced to let her go. He stood watching her retreating back until the door closed and he headed back to the Phantom as she had instructed.

The Eternal Fleet had come out of hyperspace soon after that with so many ships, they filled the cockpit window. The airlock had been damaged in the initial attack and he could not get to her without breaking the safety seals on the Phantom’s hatch which would have killed everyone on board. The docking clamps had been damaged as well and Kaliyo could not release them from the Phantom’s controls.

He recalled their last conversation as Rey’elle had released the docking clamps from inside Marr’s ship. “If you see an opening, take it. Someone has to make it back to the empire.”

Kaliyo had replied, “are you joking? You want us to ditch you?”

“I won’t be far behind.”

Vector’s last words to her were, “We will hold you to that, my love.” and then the comms went dead.

He replayed it all again, in his mind, slowing everything down to a crawl. There had been escape pods, perhaps she had managed to escape after all, but he had not detected her aura.

He had watched Marr’s flagship split in two, bodies had been flushed out into space, he had seen the miniscule forms floating in the vacuum. Then the reactors had exploded, the flash was blinding, the colors changing from red to yellow to purest white. A corona of energy pulsed from the ship like ripples in a pond and then Kaliyo had made the jump. He rewound the scene again and again, replaying it over and over and coming to the same conclusion, she was gone, his truest and only love was gone.

He opened himself at last to the nest and they gave him strength and courage but he found no solace. They understood the loss but not the profound pain and suffering he endured over one individual life. They could not heal the gaping wound at the center of his existence.

Vector struggled out of the chair and prepared to leave the cockpit. “Let us know when we are within communications range to send a message to Minister Beniko. We will be in our quarters.”

The ship was so cold now without her warmth and light. Vector hardly remembered walking to their cabin until he shut the door. Her scent permeated the room and he half expected to see her lying in their bed waiting for him, but it was as empty as he felt.

He sat down on the edge of the bed to take his boots off and noticed her datapad lying at the foot on her side. He picked it up, took it out of sleep mode and it opened to page 164 of one of those cheap romance novels she had become addicted to after Illum.

He glanced at the top and saw the title: ‘Secrets of the Rose’. He rolled his eyes as a rueful smile played along his lips. The books seemed to offer her an escape from her everyday life and even initiated some very unexpected and enjoyable romantic interludes.

He recalled one time when she wanted him to try some impossible position that threw his back into such terrible muscle spasms he thought he would never walk again. Her laughter was infectious as she massaged the pain away, he remembered the sound and the softness of her hands.

He could feel the anger of her loss rise like molten lava and laid the datapad back down before he threw the damnable thing against the wall, he simply could not stand losing one more thing that was a link to her.

His love for Rey’elle had restored more and more of his humanity, he had become less joiner and more man which returned emotions he had thought long lost. He felt anger, jealousy, heartbreak, fear and he had learned, on Voss, that he was no longer beyond tears. He finished removing his armor, crawled into bed, pulled her pillow to his chest and quietly wept while the nest sang him to sleep with sad, sweet songs.

He did not know how long he slept since the nest kept away any nightmares or dreams that may have interrupted the welcome oblivion that engulfed him. Only the hateful sound of someone pounding on his door pulled him from that well of forgetfulness he never wanted to leave.

He was stiff as he moved her pillow aside and struggled to sit up. His mouth was dry and his bladder full, he ran his hand over his face, stubble scraped his fingertips.

The pounding continued. “Yes?” he growled.

“We just dropped out of hyperspace near Bakura, Vector. We will require refueling and you can contact the Minister now.”

“Give us a few minutes, Dr. Lokin.”

“Of course, my boy, but don’t take too long.”

The refresher offered no respite from the memories. He could almost see her naked form through the shower glass, or standing in front of the mirror putting finishing touches on her makeup. The whole ship was like a vault of her ghost peeking out from every nook and cranny.

His reflection peered back at him, gaunt, strained, broken and accusatory. She would want him to go on but left him ill equipped to do so. On Hoth he had learned how to die for her, every day he learned how to live for her, but nothing had taught him how to live without her.

He raised his fist and slammed it against the mirror, creating tiny fissures that spread from the point of impact. Blood dripped from his knuckles into the sink and the remote, burning pain in his hand dropped him back into this hell that he must now face alone.

He washed the blood away, cleaned his teeth, ran a comb through his hair and went back into the bedroom to get dressed. He would endure but he would never be the same.

“About damned time,” Kaliyo chided as Vector walked into the common room.

Vector didn’t even grace her with a look as he went to the holo terminal and activated the code for Sith Intelligence. He buried his emotions, became Dawn Herald because he knew he would break just mentioning her and he could not afford the luxury of grief right now.

It took a few minutes for the connection to go through and the image of a young man in imperial uniform to appear.

Vector did not wait for a greeting. “This is Vector Hyluss calling for Minister Lana Beniko. We have vital information that she will want to hear regarding Darth Marr and the former agent known as Cipher 9. Do not keep us waiting.”

“Minister Beniko is currently in a meeting, perhaps I can…..”

“No, you cannot. Interrupt her meeting or she will have your head. We doubt she will have much patience once she hears what we have to say.”

“Y-yes sir. She will be with you shortly.”

Vector began to pace, he was impatient to get back to their previous position to search for Rey’elle. That objective alone was paramount in his mind and nothing else mattered.

Raina Temple’s voice came from the cockpit. “Vector, I am going to take us in to Salis D’aar spaceport for refueling. There was no time at Darth Marr’s destroyer.”

“We refuel, then we leave. How are supplies?”

“Sufficient for a while, perhaps six weeks or so.”

“You know what to do, Temple.”

At last, the image of a woman with shoulder length blond hair wearing a uniform of sorts but with a cape appeared. Vector stopped pacing and stood in front of the image, with his hands locked behind his back. His face was unreadable.

“Ambassador Hyluss, I understand you have some data for me? Important enough to pull me out of a meeting, no less. Well, let’s have it.”

“Just Vector will do, Minister. We have come to tell you of the destruction of Darth Marr’s flagship and we presume all are dead except those that could get away in escape pods. We also assume the worst, that Darth Marr and the previous agent known as Cipher 9 are among the dead.”

“And when did this happen, exactly?”

“A little over two days ago. We can send the coordinates if you like.”

Beniko turned her head to give an order, presumably to an underling, before addressing Vector again.

“I felt nothing to substantiate this, Vector. The death of such a powerful sith as Darth Marr would surely have made an announcement through the force, and no one on the council has reported any such ripple either. Are you quite sure of your facts?”

He narrowed his eyes as he responded. “Minister Beniko, we do not entertain falsehoods nor fabrications. We, as well as the remainder of this crew, witnessed this first hand. A fleet of hundreds, perhaps thousands of ships came out of hyperspace almost on top of us.

“They opened fire immediately, not even giving the courtesy of a hail. The configuration of the ships matches those reported bombarding the empire’s remote outposts and then Korriban. Whoever they are, Minister, they are coming, and hell is coming with them.”

The minister turned her head again, then back to Vector. “We are unable to raise the Agrona so this may bear looking into. Darth Marr was traveling with a small group of ships to the rendezvous point in wild space, do you think any of them made it?”

“When we arrived, we saw perhaps eight ships, including Darth Marr’s. There were a couple of Republic Thrantas, a couple of Imperial Gages and maybe three assault transports. We doubt any survived, and since you have not received word from anyone but us, that would prove our analysis correct.”

“You and the remainder of your crew will return to Dromund Kaas, of course, for debrief and reassignment. You have a varied crew of useful skills and we may have need of your ambassadorial talents if what you say is true.”

“We have not worn the mantle of ambassador for a very long time and we doubt that we still have the finesse required, therefore, we will return to the sight of the explosion and continue our search."

Benikos voice hardened as she spoke. "Your first priority is the empire."

Vector’s voice left nothing to misinterpretation. "With all due respect, minister, our first priority is Rey'elle.”

“You will comply with the empire’s wishes and best interests, Vector.”

"Again we decline, but do feel free to try and hunt us down, if you have the time and the resources. We highly doubt you will have either to squander. And, if we were you, we would put any nearby transports on alert to monitor for homing beacons from those escape pod death traps. We will send the coordinates. Vector out."

(To be Continued)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! *claps hands*

What a great start! You really do Vector beautifully, he's really something to behold. I feel terrible for him, poor thing. I also enjoyed how he stood up to Lana's aide and to Lana herself. She had quite a lot of nerve to start making demands of him, but he handled her perfectly.

I'm really happy that you're doing the sequel, it'll be great to revisit everyone and see how they manage to cope with the threat of the Eternal Empire. Again really nicely done. Your Vector makes me so happy. I'm looking forward to the next part. <3

Edit: PS, I also really loved your choice for Marr's ship name--the Agrona. Welsh goddess of war and bloodshed yah? :)

Edited by Lunafox

I am thrilled that you're posting this and already find myself wanting more. Very nice start.

I feel for Vector. If you consider everything he and Rey'elle have gone through already in the past, only to lose her again now in this manner... you did a stellar job conveying his grief, I felt it. I liked the detail you put in as he finds her datapad, smells her everywhere and sees her everywhere and how you described the way in which their love had changed him into more of a man and less of a joiner. Your Vector is fantastic.

Lana... grrr. Glad he stood up to her and I'm sure she'll realize soon enough that he was right.

I love the name you picked too, very suitable.

I want to join Jenny and Luna. What a great start.

You managed to portray Vector's feelings perfectly. While reading, I almost forgot how happy I was to see you started a new story ;)

I love strong and unyielding Vector at the end.

Looking forward to the next part.

O.M.G. I am SO excited to see this!!!!:D You are amazing! That chapter was just perfection in every way.....my heart still hurts from feeling everything Vector is feeling. I can't even find the words, I'm just stunned. As often happens one line really stood out and brought tears to my eyes..

On Hoth he had learned how to die for her, every day he learned how to live for her, but nothing had taught him how to live without her.

I really liked the way he handled Lana Beniko too.....she really had some NERVE! I absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter!

Have you heard the news from today's livestream? The next story update will bring Malavai Quinn back!!!:) I really wish it was Vector instead, but maybe he'll be the next one *fingers tightly crossed*

O.M.G. I am SO excited to see this!!!!:D You are amazing! That chapter was just perfection in every way.....my heart still hurts from feeling everything Vector is feeling. I can't even find the words, I'm just stunned. As often happens one line really stood out and brought tears to my eyes..

On Hoth he had learned how to die for her, every day he learned how to live for her, but nothing had taught him how to live without her.

I really liked the way he handled Lana Beniko too.....she really had some NERVE! I absolutely cannot wait for the next chapter!

Have you heard the news from today's livestream? The next story update will bring Malavai Quinn back!!!:) I really wish it was Vector instead, but maybe he'll be the next one *fingers tightly crossed*

I agree that was a truly amazing line and one of my favorites as well. Simply beautiful. <3

Now that I will only be posting once a week, I need to remember to answer everyone's comments in a more timely fashion. It was more difficult to do when I was posting every 3 or 4 days, but now that there is more time between I need to acknowledge those that are kind enough to comment. I will probably take Sunday as my posting day, so chapter 2 coming this Sunday.

Yay! *claps hands*

What a great start! You really do Vector beautifully, he's really something to behold. I feel terrible for him, poor thing. I also enjoyed how he stood up to Lana's aide and to Lana herself. She had quite a lot of nerve to start making demands of him, but he handled her perfectly.

I'm really happy that you're doing the sequel, it'll be great to revisit everyone and see how they manage to cope with the threat of the Eternal Empire. Again really nicely done. Your Vector makes me so happy. I'm looking forward to the next part. <3

Edit: PS, I also really loved your choice for Marr's ship name--the Agrona. Welsh goddess of war and bloodshed yah? :)

Yeah, it feels good to be posting again, and I have missed Vector. And yes, you are correct, Agrona is the Welsh goddess you named. It was a toss up between that and some Viking thing, and I just liked Agrona best. It seemed to fit.

I am thrilled that you're posting this and already find myself wanting more. Very nice start.

I feel for Vector. If you consider everything he and Rey'elle have gone through already in the past, only to lose her again now in this manner... you did a stellar job conveying his grief, I felt it. I liked the detail you put in as he finds her datapad, smells her everywhere and sees her everywhere and how you described the way in which their love had changed him into more of a man and less of a joiner. Your Vector is fantastic.

Lana... grrr. Glad he stood up to her and I'm sure she'll realize soon enough that he was right.

I love the name you picked too, very suitable.

Vector has been through a lot already and still has miles to go. I'm glad you enjoyed the detail of his memories of Rey'elle, I do like to add those little extras which brings my characters to life, at least I try to anyway. And I have missed my version of Vector and yeah, well, Lana, she sort of pissed him off with her demands. He is not one to stand for that sort of thing, at least not any more. I had always thought that his exposure to Rey'elle was the beginning of his return to humanity which allowed him to fall in love with her anyway, the rest just seemed like a natural progression.

I want to join Jenny and Luna. What a great start.

You managed to portray Vector's feelings perfectly. While reading, I almost forgot how happy I was to see you started a new story ;)

I love strong and unyielding Vector at the end.

Thanks Frauzet, glad you enjoyed the beginning of yet another tale, and yes, I like strong Vector also. He's come a long way from being the diplomat he started out being. I, personally, like him better this way, although his diplomatic side does come through with his stoicism. I think I have hit a nice balance.

Glad to have you reading again, Foxfirerose, welcome back to my little storyville. :D I had warned at the beginning that the first few chapters would be rather angsty due to Vector having lost so much, again. He has a lot on his plate right now, dealing with Rey'elle's disappearance, being defacto leader again, a role he hates, contacting and possibly answering to the empire, and there is still more to come. Poor guy can't catch a break. That is one of my favorite lines also, it sort of describes what he is going through in a nutshell.

And yes, I saw the news from the livestream or rather I was told on FB by Jenny and then Luna chimed in. I was so glad to see it, made my day, although I am still waiting for my bug boy. :)

Edited by MishaCantu

Chapter Two

Vector placed his palms on the holo terminal and leaned forward on his arms, his head down and eyes closed. A great sigh left his lungs before he heaved himself upright to face the crew, even Scorpio was present.

“She said that no one had detected Darth Marr’s death, which means that if he is still alive, then Rey’elle could be also. We must make haste to return and search for her.”

Scorpio spoke for the first time. “There is a high probability that if they did survive, they are either living on borrowed time or have been captured. Your assessment may be hopeful but not prudent, the numbers are not in her favor.”

Vector turned to Scorpio’s dispassionate face. “Prudent or not, search, we will. We suggest you use that great intellect of yours to monitor transmissions, look for patterns, or do a calculation that, for once, doesn’t annoy the s.hit out of everyone.”

“Wishful thinking and childish emotion will not change the outcome, but I will comply.”

Vector turned to Raina next. “How long until the refuel is complete?”

“Another two hours at least. We are fortunate that Bakura is, currently, not under Republic control. They are an independent democratic society not aligned with any faction at the moment. There is a cantina not far from here. Might I suggest that a few of us go and check with some of the locals to see if we can glean any information about this new fleet?”

“Good idea, Raina. You go and take Dr. Lokin with you.”

“Why Lokin?” pouted Kaliyo.

“Because we can trust him to stay out of trouble, a talent you have yet to develop. We need information, not entanglements with local law enforcement.”

Fine,” she spat as she left the room.

“I am so relieved that Vector did not saddle me with Kaliyo,” said Raina as she and Lokin walked out of the hangar.

“So am I, my dear. I know, first hand, how unpredictable she can be. She is pure survival instinct and adrenalin mixed with a cunning mind, a dangerous combination. Plus I believe she was born without a conscience, if such a thing can be. I think our agent is the closest thing she ever had to a friend and I dread what she will become without her guidance.”

Raina glanced sidelong at Lokin’s face. “Oh, I am sorry, doctor, I forgot about your relationship with her.”

“Not to worry,” he laughed. “I never expected any permanence from our little tryst. Kaliyo is not built for anything long lasting, and perhaps neither am I. We tested each other’s limits and parted before any damage could be done. I look back on it now as an experiment, a very satisfying experiment.”

The cantina was small, likely designed for spacer traffic and an after work hangout for spaceport employees. Raina and Lokin walked up to the bar and were greeted by the bartender.

“So, what can I get you folks? We don’t get much from the core worlds but we have a nice local ale and wine.”

Lokin turned to Raina for a moment, then replied, “I’ll have the ale, and the lady will have a glass of wine.”

Lokin took a sip of the ale the barkeep set in front of him, it was a little bland for his taste, but he still complimented the drink. He turned slightly on the stool and scanned the room, not many people were present, likely due to the hour.

“So, you guys just passing through?” asked the barkeep, trying to be congenial.

“Stopped for a refuel, but we are looking to expand trade into wild space. Spacecraft technology to be more specific.”

“Won’t find much of that here on Bakura. Closest thing we have to tech is the repulsorlift coil factory, we import most of what we need, tech wise.”

“I see,” said Lokin. “We have heard rumors of a large fleet that prowls these sectors and were hoping that we might gain access to new technology, if the rumors are true, of course.”

The bartender laughed. “You mean the ‘ghost fleet’? We hear about it from spacers and freighter pilots from time to time, but we ain’t never seen such a thing on Bakura. It’s mostly just bulls.hit tales from someone who’s had too much to drink or trying to get female company for the night. I wouldn’t put much stock in it, if I were you.”

“That’s what we were afraid of, sorry to say,” said Lokin as he and Raina got up to leave. He slid enough credits to pay for the drinks, plus a little extra and they walked toward the exit.

They were barely out of the cantina when they heard someone hailing them. “Hey, hey you! I seen that fleet once.”

Lokin and Raina turned around to face a small thin man in spacer garb. His sandy hair was greasy and he had a scar that ran across his nose and onto his cheek. His pale blue eyes seemed twitchy, which put them both on alert, but they wanted to hear what he had to say nonetheless.

“Do tell,” said Lokin. “And just how much will you want for this tale of yours?”

“Umm, just enough for a drink or two, I don’t want no trouble.”

“Please, regale us with your story. You will get your credits if the tale is worthwhile.”

“Uh, ok. It was a few months ago. I had dropped out of hyperspace a few thousand parsecs from Bakura to fix a burned out wiring harness that would have caused some serious problems with my sublights. Anyway, there in the distance I saw them. So many ships they blocked out the stars behind them, then they were just gone, disappeared like ghosts.

“Big things they were, weird configuration, all in perfect formation like nothing human was at the controls. Gave me the creeps, I tell ya. Ain’t nothin’ I ever want to see again.”

“Any idea where they came from or went back to?” asked Raina.

“No, ma’am,” he said as he shuffled from foot to foot. “Who would have the resources to even build something like that?”

“Who indeed?” pondered Lokin as he pressed a twenty credit chip into the spacer’s hand.

“We’d better get back to the ship or Vector will be furious,” said Raina.

“I expect we will be seeing a lot of that from him.”

“I worry about him more than any of the rest of us.”

“As do I, Raina, as do I.”

Vector was pacing again when Raina and Lokin entered the ship. He stopped when they approached.

“Well, did you learn anything?”

“Nothing beyond the fact that the fleet exists. On Bakura, at least, it has been relegated to a ghost tale, however, we did speak with a spacer who had seen it, but only briefly. He has no idea where it hails from nor its destination.”

Vector rubbed his forehead. “We are no worse off than where we began but no better either. The refueling is completed and the bill paid. Raina, if you would, please take us away from here and back to our previous position, we have little time to waste.”

Raina nodded and proceeded to the cockpit. They felt the repulsorlifts engage and the slight drag of gravity as the Phantom eased out of the spaceport and began its ascent into the sky.

Vector was about to leave when Lokin grabbed his arm. “How are you doing? Have you eaten anything yet?”

“Membrosia will sustain us, doctor, we have little appetite for anything else.”

“Only part of an answer, Vector. How are you doing?”

Vector looked at him with those bottomless black orbs. “We dare not speak of other things. We will do what must be done and face the future as it presents itself. We have nothing but tenuous hope and memories now.”

He disengaged Lokin’s hand and headed toward the cargo hold where he would spend most of the next two days practicing with his staff to the point of exhaustion, only to rest a while and start all over again.

They exited hyperspace amid giant chunks of debris left by the destruction of Marr’s destroyer and the other vessels. Raina cut immediately to booster rockets to navigate through the huge pieces of torn metal that floated all around, each rotating slowly but dead nonetheless.

Tiny pieces of debris pinged off the hull and twice a body somersaulted toward them, limbs frozen akimbo, mouths locked in a silent scream, and slid over the cockpit window. A terrible reminder that space is a lonely place to die and kills with equal aplomb.

They scanned for lifesigns and any signs of the escape pods, monitoring wideband frequencies for any indication of life. They found two damaged escape pods and docked carefully with each, sending 2VR8 inside to scout, and although there were bodies on board, none were Rey’elle.

They had been searching for nearly two days, going in a grid pattern with agonizing slowness until they were nearly outside the area of debris. Kaliyo had taken over the controls and Raina was exiting the cockpit, when suddenly she grabbed the door frame to keep herself from falling. She had paled beneath her dark complexion and Vector moved to steady her.

“What is it Raina?”

“Just a dizzy spell, probably over tired, I’ll be fine.”

“Come with us,” said Vector as he took her arm and helped her to the crew quarters, shutting the door as they entered.

“Raina, we know about you and the force. Please tell us what actually happened.”

“She told you? I cannot believe she would break such a confidence with me.”

“It was so we could help protect you if needed, Raina. We would never divulge your secret and we believe you know us well enough by now to understand this. Please, it could be important.”

Raina sighed and sat on the edge of her bunk, still visibly shaken. “My force abilities are meager at best, but even I felt this. Someone of immense power has passed beyond the veil and the ripple was unmistakable.”

“Do you know who it could have been?” asked Vector.

“I am not strong enough in the force to determine who. I am sorry.”

“We must contact Minister Beniko with all due haste. She will know.”

Vector left Raina and punched in the code to connect to Sith Intelligence. He would let it chime on their end until someone picked up, even if it took all day.

At last the same young man picked up on the other end. “Ah, Mr. Hyluss. Minister Beniko is unavailable at the moment, I’m afraid. I am not in a position to divulge any further information. Perhaps if you tried again later?”

Vector struggled to keep his voice level. “Later will not do. We have had an occurrence here that requires we contact her. I assure you, we will not take much of her time.”

“Very well, let me see what I can do.”

Several minutes passed before the image of Lana Beniko appeared. “Be quick, Vector. I have no time, too much is happening.”

“We felt a change, Minister Beniko. Something very strong, we assume you have felt something also?”

“I did not realize joiners were force sensitive.”

“We are not, but we do listen to the universe and the song has changed, something monumental has occurred,” Vector lied.

“We felt the passing of Darth Marr. The ripple was very strong and there is no doubt that he is dead. Too many things are happening for me to spend any more time on this. They have already begun to engage our forces and we are not doing well.

“I must go, but I do request, again, that you and your crew return to Dromund Kaas. There will be no repercussions for your previous insubordinate action. We will have need of every able bodied person if we hope to stem the tide. Beniko out.”

The confirmation of Marr’s passing did nothing to ease Vector’s already tortured mind. He stood by the terminal, unable to speak, while the inevitability of Rey’elle’s death crashed against him again, drowning him anew in despair.

“Vector?” Kaliyo called from the cockpit. “What do you want me to do now? We are well outside the debris field.”

Vector was replaying the scene of Marr’s exploding ship again in his head, trying to see it from any angle that would reignite just the tiniest flicker of hope, and it always ended the same way with the white light and the end of her song.

Dr. Lokin placed his hand on Vector’s arm, interrupting his thoughts. “Vector, what do we do? We cannot stay here forever and search in the same area indefinitely.”

Vector delayed his analysis long enough to respond. “Doctor, it was approximately six days from the time Marr’s ship exploded until his death was sensed. That means that he was taken prisoner, for a time, and a ship can travel tens of thousands of parsecs in five or six days.

“The problem is that we do not have a direction to follow, it could take months or years to find out where, since wild space is basically unexplored and unmapped. It would take another expeditionary foray into this region and we all saw how that ended.

“If Rey’elle is still alive, she is here, somewhere, and we may never find her. We must wait for more information. Kaliyo, we will sweep the debris one more time, then go back to Dromund Kaas. It will be a long journey from this end of the galaxy back to sith space.”

“Are you sure, my boy? How do we know we won’t be arrested on sight?” asked Lokin.

“Because Beniko didn’t ask us to trust her, she simply stated fact. We see no other avenue open to us, and though it tests our soul, it seems we must abandon our search for Rey’elle, for now, but we will never give up until we either hold her again or lay her bones to rest.”

(To be Continued)

Edited by MishaCantu

So happy to be reading about your Vector and this crew again! You portray them all so well I can see and hear them in my mind's eye all the way through, and the story just becomes alive. My heart just aches for Vector....and I know there will be no relief for him any time soon:(

I will be anxiously awaiting the next chapter!:)

You do your SCORPIO well, I'd like to punch her.

Had to chuckle at Raina and Lokin's exchange about Kaliyo and just as I sat here thinking "Didn't he and Kaliyo...", Raina mentioned the same. I like how you made the Eternal Fleet something of a 'ghost story' in those parts of the galaxy and something people either don't believe in or seriously fear.

Searching through the wreckage and dead bodies was sad but well written and I tend to almost forget Raina's got Force sensitive abilities but you made brilliant use of them here, absolutely loved that how even she felt Marr's passing. Going back to Dromund Kaas seems like the best option for now, having no clue otherwise but my heart breaks for Vector.

Wonderful chapter Misha!

I'm truly enjoying this!

I can't say enough good things about the characters voices--they're all so true to the characters we know. Vector especially, but Lokin, Kaliyo, SCORPIO...they're perfect. <3

Like Jenny, I enjoyed the spin of the 'ghost fleet' and the way the local described it. My heart continues to break for Vector, but I'm also appreciating his strength and determination. I liked the way he covered for Raina too when he spoke to Lana.

The section where they were searching the wreckage especially, the descriptions were creepy and chilling just as it should be. I loved it. Especially the following line:

Tiny pieces of debris pinged off the hull and twice a body somersaulted toward them, limbs frozen akimbo, mouths locked in a silent scream, and slid over the cockpit window. A terrible reminder that space is a lonely place to die and kills with equal aplomb.

Very nicely written Misha. As always I'm really looking forward to the next chapter!

So happy to be reading about your Vector and this crew again! You portray them all so well I can see and hear them in my mind's eye all the way through, and the story just becomes alive. My heart just aches for Vector....and I know there will be no relief for him any time soon:(

I will be anxiously awaiting the next chapter!:)

Vector has a long way to go and his journey has just begun with a few unexpected turns along the way. Even though the story is different from the game, in many ways, I do try to keep the voices of the characters as close to what they should be as possible. I have changed Vector into less of a diplomat, but his tone remains the same.

You do your SCORPIO well, I'd like to punch her.

Had to chuckle at Raina and Lokin's exchange about Kaliyo and just as I sat here thinking "Didn't he and Kaliyo...", Raina mentioned the same. I like how you made the Eternal Fleet something of a 'ghost story' in those parts of the galaxy and something people either don't believe in or seriously fear.

Searching through the wreckage and dead bodies was sad but well written and I tend to almost forget Raina's got Force sensitive abilities but you made brilliant use of them here, absolutely loved that how even she felt Marr's passing. Going back to Dromund Kaas seems like the best option for now, having no clue otherwise but my heart breaks for Vector.

Wonderful chapter Misha!

Well, if you want to punch Scorpio, I have done my job. Lol, yes, I went there with Lokin and Kaliyo, but needed to put that to bed, so to speak, and this seemed like a good spot. The Eternal Fleet has its own agenda, but because Bakura is very close to the border of Wild Space, the locals would have heard of it, but, as often happens, things of frightening magnitude are often relegated to the realm of ghost stories or urban legends.

The fact of Raina's force sensitivity played well into the story at this time, since they were so far from Dromund Kaas, and Vector had to have some indication of Marr's passing without waiting for the news to come from Lana. It fit into the timeline pretty well. And now, Vector really has few choices left to him, returning to sith space seems his only option at this point.

I'm truly enjoying this!

I can't say enough good things about the characters voices--they're all so true to the characters we know. Vector especially, but Lokin, Kaliyo, SCORPIO...they're perfect. <3

Like Jenny, I enjoyed the spin of the 'ghost fleet' and the way the local described it. My heart continues to break for Vector, but I'm also appreciating his strength and determination. I liked the way he covered for Raina too when he spoke to Lana.

The section where they were searching the wreckage especially, the descriptions were creepy and chilling just as it should be. I loved it. Especially the following line:

Very nicely written Misha. As always I'm really looking forward to the next chapter!

I try to stay true to the characters voices as much as I can. I have a thing with Vowrawn coming up, gives me the screaming willies to try and write for him, hopefully I can pull it off. I have definitely changed Vector from the mild mannered diplomat into more of a warrior and he has taken on the role of protector of the crew, so, yes, he would lie to Lana to protect Raina's secret. He has many hard decisions to make in the not too distant future. His trials of the heart are not over yet, unfortunately.

Glad the search through the wreckage came off well, I didn't want to overdo it, but wanted it to have some impact, nonetheless.

Chapter Three

The journey from wild space to Dromund Kaas was lengthy and nerve wracking for everyone, only Scorpio seemed unaffected by the mood of the crew. Vector either sequestered himself in his cabin or prowled the small interior of the Phantom as if he expected Rey’elle to form out of thin air. Kaliyo and Raina took turns in the cockpit and Lokin spent most of his time in the med bay. No one spoke much.

Raina was already broadcasting their transponder code as they came out of hyperspace over Dromund Kaas, the orbit above the planet was filled with destroyers and dreadnoughts creating a barrier of metal teeth. No one in recent times had seen this extent of military buildup around their capital world.

“This is going to be bad, real bad,” observed Raina.

“We suppose we shall find out soon enough,” said Vector as Raina took them into the spaceport.

As Vector prepared to leave, he asked Raina and Lokin to remain on the ship along with Scorpio. He would take Kaliyo with him as an observer, she was to remain quiet, but she had an uncanny knack of being able to separate bulls.hit from truth which might come in handy.

On their way to the taxi terminal, Vector and Kaliyo had to stop several times to let columns of imperial soldiers march by, either just patrolling the city or on their way to transports waiting in orbit.

Vector felt very much out of his element and wished with all his heart that Rey’elle were here to help him navigate what he was about to face.The citadel loomed in the distance, containing the office of the newly appointed Minister. He was more warrior now than ambassador and wondered if he still had enough of his old self to avoid the pitfalls of sith intelligence.

Everything was hushed as he and Kaliyo entered the arched doorway leading to various rooms within the intelligence sector. They took the second hallway on the right, being stopped by one of two guards stationed outside the entrance to the Minister’s private complex. The guard motioned them through once he had received clearance via his comlink.

The young officer from the holocalls met them as they entered the central hub area that Vector recalled from his visits with Rey’elle. Everything he encountered reminded him of her and even off ship her spectre haunted him and he could swear he caught glimpses of her out of the corner of his eye. He fought to steel himself against the memories as the officer approached.

“Mr. Hyluss. I am agent Sondal, your liaison to Minister Beniko during your stay on Dromund Kaas. Please follow me to the Minister’s office, she is currently in a meeting but should be here shortly.”

Sondal led them up a short flight of steps and down another hallway to the right where they entered the inner sanctum of Sith Intelligence. Vector recalled the desk and the array of monitors around the wall and he half expected to see the man known as ‘Keeper’ who was later promoted to Minister. He also recalled ‘Watcher Two’, Rey’elle’s handler. He had seen neither since Tenebrous.

Much had changed since the dissolution of Imperial Intelligence and neither he nor Rey’elle ever knew for sure if the previous Minister had been arrested, retired or was dead. The letters from Terminis had done little to allay the fear that he was either in prison or had a death sentence looming over his head.

He and Kaliyo took a seat in the chairs facing the desk and declined the refreshment Sondal offered before he exited the room and closed the door behind him.

To their left was a window made of one way transparisteel, giving the Minister an unobstructed view of the hub. Vector watched as people worked at their terminals or walked back and forth carrying datapads and data crystals, sometimes stopping to trade information. He remembered Rey’elle sitting in the very chair he occupied while he stood sentry at her back and…..

Dammit!,’ he thought. ‘We have to stop doing that or it is going to drive us crazy’.

He felt as if he were suffocating in the past, it was inescapable and any diversion would be welcome. As if in answer to his silent plea, both he and Kaliyo stood and turned as Minister Beniko opened the door and entered the room in quite a state of agitation.

“Bloody hell!,” she exclaimed as she stormed forward toward her desk noticing her company at the last minute.

“I beg your pardon for my outburst, Vector, isn’t it? Please sit, we have much to discuss.”

Beniko called her attaché to order some caf and two cups along with a glass of water for Vector before sitting down in her seat, observing them from behind her desk.

She waited for the refreshments to be delivered, poured herself and Kaliyo a cup of caf and handed the water glass to Vector. She took a sip, set her cup down and began.

“I am very disheartened to hear about Rey’elle, her assistance would have been invaluable at this time and I have no idea what we will do without the guidance of Darth Marr, one of the only voices of reason in the whole empire and a brilliant strategist. Are you aware of what’s happening?”

“We are only aware of the great fleet that destroyed Darth Marr’s ship and of the military buildup we see around Dromund Kaas. Although, we must question why you would divulge any information to us at all,” said Vector.

“Because you were there on Yavin 4 when we fought Revan and you were there on Ziost when the emperor devoured an entire world. I would like to believe that you might offer some insight and I also know that Rey’elle trusted you with her life and her secrets.”

“Not every secret,” countered Vector. “There are things that she never told us and we preferred not to know.”

“I see. The truth is, Vector, this enemy has invaded and they are everywhere at once. They openly attack our fleets and none have survived that have engaged them. Twice, they were almost beaten back and they destroyed themselves with the power of a supernova, wiping themselves out as well as our ships and any planet that was within range. Only our vessels enhanced by isotope-5 can outrun them but even they can not bear the brunt of an open assault.

“They are attacking the Republic as well, using the same tactics and they have begun to either destroy, disable or blockade all of our shipyards. We cannot even recoup our losses or hope for reinforcements.”

“Have they invaded any planets yet or given any terms?” asked Vector.

“That is the odd part, they say nothing, demand nothing, they just destroy and move on.”

“And what does the Dark Council advise?” Vector inquired.

“The Dark Council,” Beniko scoffed. “Only Darth Vowrawn and Nox seem to have any clue as to the enormity of what we face. Even now, the rest want to push the advantage against the Republic, fight a war on two fronts. A war we are losing on one front alone.

“Aruk is so bound by dogma he refuses to see the truth. Mortis is divided between the two schools of thought and will not make a stand for either. Ravage sees this as a chance to further sith expansion into Republic space, and Rictus and Acina believe our knowledge of ancient powers and horrors coupled with our technology will save us.

“Vowrawn and Nox cannot outvote the rest and so they sit in deadlock while our losses continue. Without Marr, I fear what will become of us all.”

“Then what do you expect of us, Minister?” asked Vector.

“I had thought to have you all reassigned, however, it might be more advantageous to keep your little band together. You could keep the Phantom, perhaps find some way to board one of those vessels, bring us intel, monitor what you see and hear and report back,” Beniko answered.

Vector sat silent for a few minutes, deep in thought. “Perhaps it might be better if we split up, eyes and ears in more sectors of space. You could reassign Temple to the Chiss Expansionary Defense Force on Hoth, she is known by them and she could report directly to you. Kaliyo, might serve better on Nar Shaddaa. She is quite adept at traversing the various elements at play there including the gangs and Hutts, she would be a valuable asset in that venue.”

Vector ignored Kaliyo’s snort and continued. “Doctor Lokin and Scorpio would stay with us aboard the ship. Their analytical minds would be very useful in separating the dross from anything of value.”

“And what of the Killiks?” queried Beniko. “What can they offer as part of the empire they were so anxious to join?”

“We will go to Alderaan and speak with the hive on the empire’s behalf, but we cannot predict what the response may be and Oroboro does not speak for every hive.”

Beniko tapped on her commlink. “Yes, understood, I will send him right away.”

Vector sat straighter in his chair while Minister Beniko relayed the message. “It seems that Darth Vowrawn and Darth Nox wish to speak with you in Nox’ private chambers. They asked that you go alone. Be careful Vector, no one is more cunning than Vowrawn or more incendiary than Nox.”

She rose from her chair. “I have many other things to attend to and no time for any of them. I assume you can see yourselves out?”

Vector stood as well, and gave a slight bow to Beniko then he and Kaliyo left the sith intelligence sector. Vector needed to proceed to the Sith enclave and he sent Kaliyo back to the ship to help Raina and Lokin get the ship ready to leave. He noted Kaliyo’s sour look and knew that there would be a lively discussion when he returned to the Phantom.

The drizzle had turned into rain as Vector proceeded along the walkway, the wind increased and lightning fingers drew ominous pictures across the clouds. Thunder boomed like artillery fire, shaking the duracrete beneath his boots then receding into the distance. Dromund Kaas on a good day, sometimes it was worse and he was thankful for the partial cover of the half canopy as he strode forward.

He was met by one of Nox’ servants at the doorway into the sith enclave, it was cold outside, it was colder in here, he observed as he followed the slight woman down winding hallways and then onto an elevator that descended several floors. If there was a hell, this must be one of its annexes, Vector thought as the elevator stopped and the door slid open.

He was led down a short, carpeted hallway to a set of thick double doors, which the servant opened and ushered him inside. At the end of the room was a setting with two chairs and a sofa, all covered with rich velvet and arranged in a semi-circle around a circular glass coffee table. The wall contained a stone fireplace with a crackling fire, the other gray walls were adorned with tapestries depicting different scenes of battle and pedestals stood scattered about with artifacts and holocrons set upon their marble tops.

As he set foot on the carpet runner leading to the seating arrangement, an elderly pureblood and Darth Nox stood to greet him. He remembered Nox from their meeting on her ship before Illum. The pureblood was wearing traditional red and black sith robes but Nox appeared to be dressed more for seduction than business with her dress revealing much more than what she had worn on the ship.

Vector stopped just short of where the sith lords stood and assumed his typical stance of legs slightly apart and hands locked behind his back. He gave a slight bow to each and waited.

“Ah, Vector,” said Vowrawn as his red eyes narrowed slightly. “Thank you for answering our summons. I assume that Minister Beniko has apprised you of our current situation?”

“Yes, my lord,” answered Vector, not offering anything else.

He watched as Darth Nox walked slowly toward him, the dress whispering against the carpet and her skin. She moved like smoke, power swirling around her in little eddies and tides. Her aura tasted of fire and oil, hot and unpleasant. She stared into his eyes, trying to fathom the depths hidden in the obsidian orbs, but joiners were hard to read, even for sith.

She frowned a bit and he stood unflinching as she circled behind him and he felt her nails drag across the back of his leather armor from shoulder to shoulder. He heard her lick her lips as she moved to his side, tracing one finger up his neck, across his jaw and inside his lower lip. She placed the finger in her mouth and withdrew it with a loud smacking sound as she came full circle to stop in front of him.

“Mmm, just as stoic as I remember,” she stated as she stared once more into his eyes.

“It is our way, my lord,” he said, keeping his voice flat and emotionless.

Laughter trickled out of her mouth like broken glass. “Ah, yes, I have heard of the passionless existence of joiners. Your agent evidently experienced something much more animated and it piques my curiosity as to what delights lie beneath that calm exterior.”

“Emperor’s balls, Nox!,” Vowrawn’s voice rose from where he still stood. “Hold your libido in check for once.”

“Now what fun is that? Besides, he is delicious and that small taste only whets the appetite,” she pouted as she turned and slowly walked back to one of the velvet chairs and sat down. The exaggerated sway of her hips did not go unnoticed.

Vector maintained his unreadable pose, silent and patient on the exterior, slightly nauseous on the inside at the thought of bedding that woman. He knew he was in the spider’s lair and she was very good at weaving her web.

Vowrawn turned his attention back to Vector. “You are probably wondering why we called you here.”

“The black codex,” answered Vector.

“Exactly right, my boy.” said Vowrawn. “We can use every advantage obtainable in the days ahead. Anything that can aid us against this new threat.”

“Rey’elle never told us where she hid it, my lord. So, even if you should torture us or use your devices, we cannot tell you something that we do not know.”

Vowrawn appeared taken aback. “No one spoke of torture, my lad, perish the thought. The waste of an asset with what we are facing would be unconscionable. Nox and I are having enough trouble trying to rein in the other council members without losing what advantage we have, especially with your connection to the Killiks.

“Dreadful creatures, in my opinion, but we will take whatever aid we can and from any quarter.”

Vowrawn’s aura tasted of ash and bitter herbs, like he had burned through his life with unchecked abandon and had nothing palatable to look forward to in the future. Vector almost felt sorry for the pureblood but it was unwise to pity any sith.

“May we speak bluntly, my lord?” asked Vector.

A smile creased Vowrawn’s face. “By all means, we may all be dead tomorrow, now is not the time to stand on ceremony.”

“Rey’elle was as intelligent as she was beautiful,” Vector took some small delight in Nox’ scowl and Vowrawn’s snicker at her reaction. “She hid the item well and never let anything slip regarding its whereabouts. However, from what little she did tell us, it is our understanding that the black codex contained information that the Star Cabal used to further their ambitions. It holds damning secrets that are centuries old, betrayals, schemes and failed coups.

“We therefore discern that the only use you would have for it is the ability to blackmail the other council members to fall in line. To be perfectly honest, from what we have heard, nothing that you do will make any difference at this point. Fight the fleet, fight the republic, or each other, the end result will remain the same, the codex will avail you nothing.

“You might be better served to discover who this fleet belongs to and come to terms. We fear that the empire, as we have known it, will soon be a thing of the past.”

“The empire surrender? Never! The very thought is treasonous,” Nox hissed through her teeth as she stood up, letting lightning play along her arms.

“Sit down, Nox!,” ordered Vowrawn as he flung his hand out, knocking her back into her chair. “The boy speaks truth, don’t tell me you are becoming as addled as the rest of the council, I thought you had more brains than that. We can hardly afford to be at odds over a handsome piece of a.ss or fake indignation.

“Even now the council fight over the spheres as if they were balls to be juggled like toys for a child’s amusement. There are none worthy to take up Marr’s mantle and in the end, I fear that many of us will either be dead or running like fleas from a drowning dog. Acina moves in the shadows to her own ends, and we stand on the precipice.”

Nox raised the corner of her mouth into a half snarl, then sighed as she straightened the folds of her skirt. “You are right, Vowrawn, as much as it pains me to say it. My passion for our beloved empire overwhelms me sometimes.”

“It is passion for your own self interest and fear of losing power that overwhelms you, my dear Nox.”

She shot Vowrawn a venomous look but remained seated. “So, we are back where we started then, the council divided, a new, powerful enemy at our gate and an old one with its teeth still at our throats. You know, as well as I, that b.itch, Saresh, will push this as an advantage, the same as Acina and the rest. We are blocked at every turn.”

“Then, perhaps it is time to consider other options, hmm?” said Vowrawn.

Vector cleared his throat, not wanting to draw attention to himself, but wanting out of this room at any cost.

“Ah, my boy, I suppose you are ready to get back to your work. Let me escort you out, I believe we are both done here.”

“Vowrawn, I was hoping to get a private audience with our guest,” purred Nox.

“You change your mood as easily as your wardrobe. No more games, Nox, we have precious little time.” growled Vowrawn.

“But, darling, I thought you liked games.”

“Only if I am writing the rules,” Vowrawn sneered.

(To be Continued)

Ack. A touch of Vowrawn, I hope I did him justice. Of course, my Nox is just as perverse as ever, but I just don't see her any other way. As far as I can tell, all the Council members mentioned are still alive at this point, but let me know if I made any mistakes.

I loved your Vowrawn, I got big smiles now! Well I mean, the situation they're all in is dire but he was magnificent so well done. ♥

Nice way to work the Codex back into the story, and splitting up the crew to its best potential and every role makes sense. Figures none of the Council members really see eye to eye and it appears they've mostly lost direction without Marr there, which makes sense. Your Nox is a piece of work, can I b.itch slap her please? :) Hands off Vector missy, he's not yours.

I also enjoyed how, through all his Vowrawn-ness, he's also the most sensible one in this scenario along with Vector. And I loved the little dig Vector got in towards Nox when he spoke of Rey'elle.

I think you may have missed one Dark Council member, Darth Acharon of the Sphere of Biotic Sciene, at least if my own information is correct but to be honest, I don't think anyone really knows that guy even exists unless they look up all the spheres and actively seek him out. He's barely mentioned anywhere and I'm not pointing him out to make you feel bad btw, I only mention it due to your A/N. I wouldn't have even wondered about it otherwise.

Wonderful chapter, props Misha I can't wait until next Sunday. :)

:)

I think it's quite wise of Vector to point out to the various Sith and Imperials that he doesn't know the codex's secrets. I believe him when he says that he doesn't, but even if he did know, it would be wise to say he doesn't.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the settings, it felt very authentic, just like I was right there. I did feel sorry for Vector, it had to be hard for him to see Intelligence again and be reminded so much of Rey'elle and what he's going through.

I also think it's wise to separate the team to make more ground, and it would also serve to explain how they got separated and ended up going their own way, if you're going to go that route, like the game did.

The dark council's actions in the face of the threat were treated very realistically. I could totally see all of them reacting as you described.

I enjoyed your portrayal of Nox and Vowrawn. Nox...urgh, poor Vector to have attracted her attention. The way she greeted him churned my stomach. I can understand Vector's reaction at what she had in mind for him. And the auras, I loved the way you described their auras.

Vowrawn was extraordinary, I enjoyed him greatly, you did a lovely job with him. In particular I enjoyed his last line to Nox about enjoying games, so long as he's the one making up the rules. That was so him, and I enjoyed that muchly.

I'm eager to see where this leads. You've certainly given me good reason now to anticipate Sundays. ^^

As always, I agree with Jenny and Luna's observations. Your chapters are always so well done and so full of little descriptive nuggets that paint a vivid picture for our mind's eye.

I want to be second in line behind Jenny to b.itch slap Nox......disgusting creature that she is. But I love the way Vowrawn handles her, even physically knocking her back in her chair once:) Good for him!

I also loved Vector's description of their auras, especially Vowrawn's. His sounded rather sad and made me sad for him....a little. Somehow I think he will always find something to look forward to:)

The Black Box has always been a fascinating thing in the story to me. I will be interested to see if it plays a larger part in this story. I can't decide if I think Rey'elle would have told anyone else of it's location or not. I would say she would tell Vector except for the fact that then the hive would know also. Not sure that would be a good thing.

Next Sunday looks so far away now......*stares at the calendar*

Sorry for being silent. RL is a bit chaotic. I am still reading and liking what I read :)

Your settings feel real, and it's easy to become immersed.

As always you do a great job of portraying the different characters.

Kudos! <3

I loved your Vowrawn, I got big smiles now! Well I mean, the situation they're all in is dire but he was magnificent so well done. ♥

Nice way to work the Codex back into the story, and splitting up the crew to its best potential and every role makes sense. Figures none of the Council members really see eye to eye and it appears they've mostly lost direction without Marr there, which makes sense. Your Nox is a piece of work, can I b.itch slap her please? :) Hands off Vector missy, he's not yours.

I also enjoyed how, through all his Vowrawn-ness, he's also the most sensible one in this scenario along with Vector. And I loved the little dig Vector got in towards Nox when he spoke of Rey'elle.

I think you may have missed one Dark Council member, Darth Acharon of the Sphere of Biotic Sciene, at least if my own information is correct but to be honest, I don't think anyone really knows that guy even exists unless they look up all the spheres and actively seek him out. He's barely mentioned anywhere and I'm not pointing him out to make you feel bad btw, I only mention it due to your A/N. I wouldn't have even wondered about it otherwise.

Wonderful chapter, props Misha I can't wait until next Sunday. :)

Thanks Jenny, there are some characters I sweat over quite a bit, and Vowrawn is one such. But, he, above all would know just what kind of trouble the empire is in and not be seduced by some useless sense of entitlement just because he is sith. He is very good at reading the cards he has been dealt, but forever schemes to make them work for him anyway.

The black codex has been a bone of contention ever since Rey'elle used it against Nox on Illum. She hid it well, and truly, Vector is correct that it would be of no use to them at this point.

My Nox is always the way I envisioned her, ruled a great deal by her libido, but she has power and she is smart also,

She agrees with Vowrawn that they cannot win by splitting their efforts between the Eternal Fleet and the republic, but she sees no point in denying her carnal cravings either.

As for Acheron, he died in 3641 on Corellia, so has been dead four years before Marr died on Zakuul in 3637, so, nope, I didn't mess that one up. Whew.

I think it's quite wise of Vector to point out to the various Sith and Imperials that he doesn't know the codex's secrets. I believe him when he says that he doesn't, but even if he did know, it would be wise to say he doesn't.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the settings, it felt very authentic, just like I was right there. I did feel sorry for Vector, it had to be hard for him to see Intelligence again and be reminded so much of Rey'elle and what he's going through.

I also think it's wise to separate the team to make more ground, and it would also serve to explain how they got separated and ended up going their own way, if you're going to go that route, like the game did.

The dark council's actions in the face of the threat were treated very realistically. I could totally see all of them reacting as you described.

I enjoyed your portrayal of Nox and Vowrawn. Nox...urgh, poor Vector to have attracted her attention. The way she greeted him churned my stomach. I can understand Vector's reaction at what she had in mind for him. And the auras, I loved the way you described their auras.

Vowrawn was extraordinary, I enjoyed him greatly, you did a lovely job with him. In particular I enjoyed his last line to Nox about enjoying games, so long as he's the one making up the rules. That was so him, and I enjoyed that muchly.

I'm eager to see where this leads. You've certainly given me good reason now to anticipate Sundays. ^^

Vector truly does not know the location of the codex, Rey'elle hid it well and never divulged its location to anyone as a way to keep her crew safe.

Vector sees Rey'elle in everything and every place, it is very difficult for him to maintain his air of detachment while constantly being bombarded by her memory. I also try to give just enough information about a place to make it realistic without overdoing it. Hopefully I hit a nice balance.

I was not so sure about the Coucil's reactions, but reading into the different spheres of influence, it was how I envisioned them to behave in this situation. I always sweat sithy stuff.

Vector was forced to take Raina to Hoth to keep her away from Dromund Kaas, even now her force sensitivity would put her in danger. And it was probably wise to put Kaliyo on Nar Shaddaa, but I am not sure yet if I will follow the KOTFE story line or not. It would be convenient, although I would rather put my own twists to things.

Yep, Vector has indeed drawn Nox' attention ever since Illlum. Rey'elle rather forced the issue that he was hers and Nox is not one to be denied. Not sure if I will play that out or not, we will see.

I am so very pleased that you noticed the auras. Vector can actually taste everyone's aura, but I don't want to over do that, however, Nox and Vowrawn required mention.

If I get the Luna seal of approval for Vowrawn, I am pleased. The words are rather easy since he has such a unique style. however, the workings of his mind are another thing entirely. I am debating on a council scene, just not sure yet, I guess the story will tell me what to do.

As always, I agree with Jenny and Luna's observations. Your chapters are always so well done and so full of little descriptive nuggets that paint a vivid picture for our mind's eye.

I want to be second in line behind Jenny to b.itch slap Nox......disgusting creature that she is. But I love the way Vowrawn handles her, even physically knocking her back in her chair once:) Good for him!

I also loved Vector's description of their auras, especially Vowrawn's. His sounded rather sad and made me sad for him....a little. Somehow I think he will always find something to look forward to:)

The Black Box has always been a fascinating thing in the story to me. I will be interested to see if it plays a larger part in this story. I can't decide if I think Rey'elle would have told anyone else of it's location or not. I would say she would tell Vector except for the fact that then the hive would know also. Not sure that would be a good thing.

Next Sunday looks so far away now......*stares at the calendar*

I do like to put in those tiny snippets to add to a character or a description. Most of the time they go unnoticed because I just sort of slip them in, but I think they gel what I am trying to say without being too blatant.

Ha, yes, Nox does deserve a b.itch slap and Vowrawn had to knock her down a bit, he does not abide tomfoolery unless he is the one doing the fooling. Plus, Nox knows that he is the only one, besides her, that really sees the situation for what it is, and is not about to lose him as an ally.

Happy that you noticed the auras also. Vowrawn has indeed, burned his candle at both ends for much of his life, and even though he always has things to look forward to, I always felt that some left a bitter taste, even though he hides it well beneath his gleeful demeanor.

The Black Codex is a bottomless well of possibilities and I'm not sure that it could be used properly in this story, but, in another one? Who can say.

Sorry for being silent. RL is a bit chaotic. I am still reading and liking what I read :)

Your settings feel real, and it's easy to become immersed.

As always you do a great job of portraying the different characters.

Kudos! <3

Real Life can certainly complicate things, hope things are well for you. I try to do my best with settings and characters, and am pleased you still find the time to follow along and comment.

Chapter Four

Vowrawn escorted Vector out of Nox’ chambers and all the way to the entrance of the enclave.

“Thank you for removing us from that…. situation, my lord,” said Vector, wondering what the price would be for Vowrawn’s assistance.

Vowrawn laughed. “I know all too well of Nox’ vices and they are many, plus I do still love to tweak her nose when given the chance. Old habits, you understand. You would do well not to entangle yourself further with her since, I fear, she sees you as a bit of a challenge now. She does enjoy a challenge and will not give up until she has you between her sheets, or more to the point, between her legs.

“One would think that she would see just how fragile the empire’s situation is, and adjust her priorities accordingly but, that woman has never been able to leash the carnal side of her nature. Not that I haven’t bent the rules of protocol many times in my endeavors, and I have been far from celibate but I fear an era is coming to a close where we can take the time for such petty entertainments. So, where are you off to now?”

“Alderaan, for one. We will be reporting to Minister Beniko with any findings and you may learn to rely on her more as time goes on. We have little knowledge of the other lords on the council, but we can only hope that you can make them see reason before it is too late.

“If we may ask, my lord, what of the Wrath and the Hand? Any news from them?”

“The Wrath is deployed on some mission of her own and we have heard nothing from the Hand. I assume that they were consumed by the emperor along with Ziost, but who can say for sure. I bid you safe travels, although safety may soon become a forgotten commodity.

“Oh, one more thing. I expect you to report anything you find to me as well as Beniko. That is not a request. I will send my private code to your ship.”

“As you wish, good day, my lord.” Vector gave a little bow to Vowrawn and walked out into the rain to catch a taxi back to the spaceport.

He was more thankful to the sith lord than Vowrawn could ever comprehend. Any intimacies with that woman, in particular, would be such a deep betrayal to Rey’elle that he might never be able to forgive himself. Reporting to Vowrawn was simply an inconvenience and he hoped the ship was ready when he returned because he could not wait to be off Dromund Kaas.

The moment he walked into the common room he was met by a furious Kaliyo. “So what, Vector, you think you could get rid of my a.ss so easily? Shuffling me off to Nar Shaddaa without even asking? Well, I won’t go, do you hear me? I won’t go!”

Lokin joined them from the med bay. “Calm down, Kaliyo, your caterwauling is disturbing my bacteria samples. Now what the hell is going on?”

“I don’t give a s.hit what I disturb. I’m not going to Nar Shaddaa, I’ve spent enough time in s.hit holes and I won’t stand for it, never again.”

Vector struggled to keep his voice even. “Alright, Kaliyo. Perhaps we misspoke, but we need the intel from Hutt space. Nobody but you has the cunning or insight to work your way around the cultures of Nar Shaddaa. Dammit, Kaliyo, we need you to do this.”

“And why should I? I don’t owe s.hit to the empire, what has it ever done for me?” Vector could almost see the wheels turn in her brain. “On second thought, it might do me good to be out from under bug boy’s thumb for a while. Ok, I’ll go Vector, and I’ll report back but only until I get a new gig that suits my purposes and my lifestyle. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Fair warning taken, Kaliyo, we understand perfectly. And how about the rest of you? We desire honesty.”

“I need to go back to Hoth, Vector. I want to be part of the Chiss unit again and you know why,” answered Raina.

“Got a secret blue lover, Raina?” snarked Kaliyo.

“Perhaps I do, but it wouldn’t be a secret if I told, now would it?”

Kaliyo pursed her lips. “Well if it’s that Saganu fellow, I’ll gladly trade places with you.”

“I will stay until I no longer can, Vector. I will explain soon,” said Lokin.

Scorpio walked into the room. “There is no reason, at this time, for me to leave. This ship allows me freedoms I might not be afforded elsewhere and it is to my benefit to remain.”

“Very well, that is settled. Our first stop will be Hoth and then on to Nar Shaddaa. How long until we leave, Raina?”

“Fueling is almost done, just waiting for supplies. Best estimate I could get is sometime within the next four hours. Seems military provisioning is taking precedence.”

“We will be in our quarters until then.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me,” sniped Kaliyo as he left the room.

He leaned against the door as soon as he shut it and breathed deep of Rey’elle’s scent which was strongest in this room. He wanted to drown in her smell and cursed his lungs for continuing to bellow life giving oxygen in and out of his chest. He felt full and empty at the same time and wondered what he would become without her.

He stripped off his armor and then his underclothes and stepped into the refresher, studying his reflection, now fractured by the shattered mirror. He had showered during the long trip but running through raindrops would have accomplished more and this was the first time he had stopped to look at his face.

He ran his hands along his jaw, feeling his fingers comb through the growing stubble and took the jar of depil cream from the medicine cabinet to rid his face of the lengthening shadow.

He had never had to worry about facial hair while he was in the hive. Something in the pheromones stunted the growth of facial and cranial hair. He had only started shaving and getting haircuts again as the saturation of the pheromones in his body lessened. Even now all he had was long stubble where another man would have a full beard.

He turned the shower on and stepped in, letting the water wash away the depil cream and whiskers then reached for the soap and inhaled the fragrance of apple and sandalwood, so light it barely teased the senses. He could almost feel her hands on his back rubbing in lazy circles through the lather and craved her touch so deeply that he tipped his head back and roared at the ceiling. The primal sound invaded the waking dream and he was alone, sharing space with only the water and steam.

He exited the shower, dried off and wrapped the towel around his waist, walked to the bed and sat down. This room, their room, was the only place he could drop the façade of leadership and fall shamelessly into that pit of self pity that he abhorred. He could coddle his misery like a child and sometimes sleep when he lowered his defenses enough that he could hear the nests lullabies.

He knew that he could not dwell forever in this room, that he would need to re-enter the hive and little by little his humanity would fall away until he no longer felt pain or remorse or loneliness, but what he feared most was the day that he might no longer feel love.

He had spent months unlocking those parts of his brain that stored his most human emotions and thoughts. He remembered the first time he had kissed her, the first time they made love when he was still getting reacquainted with all the sensations he thought lost. He recalled telling her that he would never have to go through that process again and now he was not so sure. Without her there as a constant reminder, he could lose it all again.

He could never let that happen, not as long as there was even the sliver of a chance she still lived. He would need to walk that very fine line between absorption and individuality and as Dawn Herald he would exercise that right. The song would change and he would learn to dance to the new melody, but the Dawn Herald would dance alone.

The long travel time between worlds was the hardest on the crew. The silence became part of the very air they breathed, circulating from room to room through the vents, settling in their nostrils and in their throats, choking off any discourse that should have come so naturally. Isolation became the norm for Vector and haven for a heart that was almost too heavy to beat.

It was a little over thirteen days from Dromund Kaas to Hoth, a planet Vector hated almost as much as Voss. In truth, he would be hard pressed to name which one topped his list as most despised in the galaxy.

Too much personal history remained frozen to that unforgiving landscape, too much blood and pain. Old losses combined with the new to make a bitter broth that gagged him when he tried to swallow the enormity of it all. And still, he had to go to fulfill a promise to Rey’elle that he would protect Raina’s secret, no matter the cost.

The Phantom exited hyperspace amid debris that was too reminiscent of the recent attack on Darth Marr’s convoy and below they could see the slowly rotating white and blue ball of ice that was Hoth. They were all thrown to the left as Raina cut course to avoid a large section of what appeared to be an imperial Harrower class dreadnought. The sky was full of corpses, made of metal and of bone.

“What the hell happened here?” exclaimed Raina as she cut to booster rockets. “Stars, look at Adamos, entire bays have been blown out.”

“What is that in the distance?” asked Lokin.

“Raina, get as close as you can, then activate the cloaking device, that should allow us to take a quick look,” said Vector.

“The cloak won’t last long, but should be ok for a quick fly by,” answered Raina.

None of them could believe the size of the structure that was just in the framing stage. Droids, of various design, scurried about the structure, some welding, some carrying huge girders and holding them in place, while others drove rivets into metal with hydraulic hammers.

A small fleet patrolled nearby, perhaps fifty ships, all in perfect formation. “Like nothing human was at the controls,” whispered Lokin.

“What?” said Raina.

“Like that spacer said, back on Bakura, perfect formation like nothing human was at the controls,” answered Lokin.

“Raina, get us out of here before the cloak fails and calculate a trajectory to land on Adamos. And let them know we’re coming, we don’t want to get shot down by our own people,” ordered Vector.

Vector and Raina went to get their cold weather gear and Raina’s duffels with her personal belongings once the ship had settled onto its landing struts. Lokin and Kaliyo were by the exit door when he and Raina arrived to go down the ramp. There was an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes and then both Lokin and Kaliyo moved forward to shake Raina’s hand and wish her well. Vector had expected at least a hug to pass between them, but no such signs of affection were exchanged.

“Looks like they are running on emergency energy reserves. See about getting refueled and have everything ready to depart, Kaliyo,” Vector said before he followed Raina down the ramp to find a working shuttle to the surface.

Vector checked in with the ensign that had come to greet them as they disembarked the shuttle at Dorn base letting him know that they were there under orders from Minister Beniko. The ensign led them to the speeder depot, apologizing for the commander’s absence in greeting them himself. Vector waved off the apology as he and Raina mounted the speeders and set off toward Zero Station, the Chiss’ base of operations.

The planet was just as bitter cold as he remembered and his heart was just as bitter toward it as well. The ride would be difficult and long with so many memories, too many. Vector tried to sweep them aside, but they kept crawling back on silent paws, sniffing out those weakest places that would hurt him most.

He finally gave in and faced the dark demons of this pale planet, staring them down, one by one. Forcing them to retreat and pulling the gray curtain of closure shut in front of their snarling, snapping faces.

It was nearing dusk when they pulled up in front of the Chiss controlled base and dismounted. A small squad of armed guards came to greet them, allowing them to take their speeders to a vehicle storage room where they would be safe from the falling temperatures.

They led Raina and Vector to the control area where both recognized the tall figure dressed in a white uniform with a long cape draped around his shoulders. Aristocra Saganu was speaking with two of his team, pointing from time to time to a monitor that hung over a panel of levers and keypads.

Finished with his instruction, he walked over to them, extending his hand to Raina and giving Vector a cursory nod. “So glad to have you back with us, Ensign Temple, although the times are dire.”

“It is agent Temple now, Saganu, or at least it was before Imperial Intelligence was disbanded. I am not sure of my designation now that I have left the crew of the former Cipher 9.”

“Well, we can work out the details later. Please follow me to our briefing room where we can talk and I can order some tea to warm you after your long trip.”

They followed him down a passageway and into a small room with an oval conference table surrounded by chairs and a bank of several monitors on one wall. Saganu motioned for them to enter and sit down.

Tea was delivered and Saganu began pouring and placing cups before his guests. “I was deeply saddened by the news of Darth Marr’s passing, he was perhaps the only sith I truly respected and admired. And I cannot find words to express my sorrow over the news of the agent, I had hoped to see her again someday. She did leave quite a lasting impression. Such a woman of intelligence, warmth and beauty, the galaxy will be a darker place without her.”

“We are well aware of her attributes, all of them,” said Vector over the top of the steaming cup, his eyes never leaving the Chiss’ face.

Saganu’s red eyes narrowed and he frowned but pressed the issue no further. He knew that Vector knew of his and Rey’elle’s brief romantic encounter and now was not the time for some testosterone fueled confrontation.

‘The joiner has changed since last we met,’ thought Saganu. ‘He is more dangerous now than he was during that whole Serevin ordeal, and he loves her, he grieves her loss. He hides it well, but I wonder if he knows just how close he is to the edge of the abyss?’

Raina broke the tense silence. “What happened out there, Saganu? We exited hyperspace into a debris field of Imperial ships and Adamos is damaged almost to the point of uselessness.”

Saganu eased back in his chair. “The distress calls were almost deafening, Raina, and nothing ever prepares one for the dying screams of men and women. We watched from the ground and all we saw were multiple explosions in a myriad of colors. It was like the very stars themselves were putting on a fireworks display.”

“And what of this new structure they are building in orbit?” inquired Vector.

“We are as perplexed by its purpose as you are. There has been no communication, no demands, nothing. Any ships that have been deployed for a closer view have been immediately shot down by the fleet of ships the intruder left behind.

“The imperial fleet, that was destroyed, was sent by Grand Moff Regus in response to a build up of republic ships in hopes of a surprise attack to dismantle the republic fleet. It did not turn out as the Moff envisioned and now our supply lines are all but cut off as well since nothing larger than small freighters are allowed through. They are slowly strangling us, blockading us from any hope of succor, but why and who, are unknown.

“As far as we know, the Republic has experienced much the same, with their spaceport nearly destroyed along with their fleet. Whoever this is, means to decimate us both, but to what end?"

“Has there been any word from the Ruling Circle on Csilla?” asked Raina.

“To the best of our knowledge, they have no intention of embroiling themselves with this current conflict. There have been no attacks within Chiss territories and they prefer to remain neutral and not garner any attention from this new threat. I fear there will be no assistance from the Ascendency. For the time being, we are on our own,” answered Saganu.

“You are aware that I am here to report any findings back to Minister Beniko. I do not want that to be a point of contention between us and of course, I will share what I learn with you as well,” stated Raina.

Saganu smiled in her direction. “I am well aware of your purpose, Raina, though why you should want to come back to Hoth is beyond me. However, we have always worked well together and trust will not be an issue between us considering what we now face.

Saganu glanced at his crono. “The hour grows late and night on Hoth is not conducive to travel by speeder. I will make sure you have quarters, Vector, and assume you will want to get an early start to return to your other comrades. I still have work to do and will have ensign Ch’lan escort you to your room.

“Raina, your previous accommodations are still the same, I believe you know the way. Now, if you will excuse me, I must bid you good evening.”

Saganu rose from his seat and with a swish of his cloak, he walked to the door and exited. Shortly, the chiss ensign entered and took Vector to his room, small, with a bunk and refresher but no shower of any kind, not that Vector cared, it was too damned cold to bathe anyway, even a sonic would prove uncomfortable. The room was near the back of the base and little heat was provided from the tiny vent.

He sat on the bunk in the cold silence, watching his breath form tiny clouds in the frozen air. So quiet, no ship sounds, no muffled voices of the crew, no intrusion from the nest, it was perfectly calm. Even his mind had stopped its unbidden thoughts of sorrow.

For one fleeting moment he could hear Rey’elle’s voice, soft and frightened, barely above a whisper call to him. From a great distance he heard her plea to find her, save her, love her, and then it was gone. It was like a fragment of an echo caught adrift in the song, something he had missed until now, when all around him was still.

Perhaps it was just a figment of his imagination or wishful thinking or the universe being kind and cruel at the same time. He had survived the Chrysalis of Tranquility which deepened his bond with the universe, he could feel the birth of distant stars, feel the radiation like rain upon his skin, see the magnetic pulse of gravity and taste the aura of every living thing.

His link with Rey’elle was more profound than anything he had ever experienced, but he never dreamed of anything like this. That the instant she loosed her prayer could be caught like a tiny flicker in a solar storm and that he would hear it across the vast ocean of space and time was a miracle beyond his understanding.

Instead of peace, the knowing brought new agonies and questions he did not want to ask. He buried his face in his hands to stave off the growing dread of what her fate would now be.

“She’s alive,” he murmured between his fingers. He did not know where or how, but he knew for a fact that she still lived and was waiting for him.

(To be Continue)

Misha, that was really beautiful! Hmm, where to start. I suppose with the descriptions. For me, a particularly fun one was imagining Vector in the shower with the water and steam around him. That was good fun, imagining him in that setting. :D

Also I quite like your take on Vowrawn, he's very forthright and to the point and I agree with his take on your Nox, I can see her being quite relentless and horrid in her pursuit. I can't pity Vector enough, that she's turned her sights onto him, especially when he's going through such profound pain at Rey'elle's absence.

I also want to say how dead on your Dr. Lokin is. All of your voices are very true, but from all of the agent's companions, his voice is amazing in its accuracy. This, of course, excludes Vector, because his voice and your take on his persona are breathtaking and impeccable in delivery. Saganu was also a treat, I always did enjoy him.

Vector has so much on his mind, the poor thing. I enjoyed his thoughts about the hive and how returning might impact his memories and feelings and the very real possibility he would lose himself in the hive.

I particularly enjoyed the poetry of this stunning line, it's so him.

Isolation became the norm for Vector and haven for a heart that was almost too heavy to beat.

I'd like to hope that the realization that she's still alive and out there somewhere is a positive thing that will inspire him to keep functioning and searching, but at the same time, I fear it will hurt him so badly.

A truly lovely chapter, thank you. ^^

I love how you're fitting this into the ingame story. Beginning with reasons for the crew to split up, to the construction above Hoth.

Lokin's ominous hint was so him.

This was my favorite part:

For one fleeting moment he could hear Rey’elle’s voice, soft and frightened, barely above a whisper call to him. From a great distance he heard her plea to find her, save her, love her, and then it was gone. It was like a fragment of an echo caught adrift in the song, something he had missed until now, when all around him was still.
Although I didn't get the feeling Vector was about to give up his search, this reassurance may be good, especially before going to Alderaan. To drown his feelings in the hive must be a bit tempting at least.

First of, I enjoy how you're weaving little events from the game into the story. Separation of the crew, Kaliyo's comment she may take up on a better deal should it come along, the structure above Hoth. It was also really nice to see Saganu again, likely the only Chiss who ever stole my heart.

I'm glad Vowrawn escorted Vector away from Nox's clutches, and I hope Vector won't have to face her again. Greedy deviant who's got little respect for his mourning, or the fact he'd never be interested in the likes of her... then again that just might make him that much more interesting to her. Bad Nox. I do really enjoy your Vowrawn, he brings a smile to my face.

Ah and the pain of having to revisit Hoth after the last time they were there when Serevin had Rey'elle. Things really aren't easy for Vector. As if losing Rey isn't bad enough it would seem he's reminded of her in both the best and worst ways possible everywhere he turns and my heart aches for him.

I also really liked the hive connection you described and wrote of. His fear of what would happen to his human emotions, his love for Rey'elle should he surrender himself to the hive again fully. A dreadful thought but a realistic one too.. I hope his love remains in tact no matter what. Hopefully the idea that she's still alive out there will fuel him in times to come and give him the strength he needs.

Wonderful chapter as always Misha, I really look forward to the next.

Misha, that was really beautiful! Hmm, where to start. I suppose with the descriptions. For me, a particularly fun one was imagining Vector in the shower with the water and steam around him. That was good fun, imagining him in that setting. :D

Also I quite like your take on Vowrawn, he's very forthright and to the point and I agree with his take on your Nox, I can see her being quite relentless and horrid in her pursuit. I can't pity Vector enough, that she's turned her sights onto him, especially when he's going through such profound pain at Rey'elle's absence.

I also want to say how dead on your Dr. Lokin is. All of your voices are very true, but from all of the agent's companions, his voice is amazing in its accuracy. This, of course, excludes Vector, because his voice and your take on his persona are breathtaking and impeccable in delivery. Saganu was also a treat, I always did enjoy him.

Vector has so much on his mind, the poor thing. I enjoyed his thoughts about the hive and how returning might impact his memories and feelings and the very real possibility he would lose himself in the hive.

I particularly enjoyed the poetry of this stunning line, it's so him.

I'd like to hope that the realization that she's still alive and out there somewhere is a positive thing that will inspire him to keep functioning and searching, but at the same time, I fear it will hurt him so badly.

A truly lovely chapter, thank you. ^^

Thanks Luna especially about Lokin because I actually have a hard time with him. I feel that, in game at least, he is a manipulator like with that whole Protean deal and how he managed to finagle his way to being head of it. But, he could also be very forthright in many ways and I guess I took that better part of him for my Lokin.

And I have taken Vector so far around the bend from what he is in game that I don't know if I can ever see him in quite the same way again. He is still walking poetry, but, I think it was his in game conversation with the agent about the chrysalis of tranquility and its affect on him that set his persona in my mind. It made him the warrior and protector that I envisioned and use for my story. Of course, all with a little twist that is all my own. :)

I struggled with even adding that part about him knowing she was alive, but it seemed to add another layer to what he is going through by not knowing if she is being ill treated or whatever.

I love how you're fitting this into the ingame story. Beginning with reasons for the crew to split up, to the construction above Hoth.

Lokin's ominous hint was so him.

This was my favorite part: Although I didn't get the feeling Vector was about to give up his search, this reassurance may be good, especially before going to Alderaan. To drown his feelings in the hive must be a bit tempting at least.

I think in all my stories, except maybe Long Odds, I have included in game occurrences, although I try really hard not to follow the game script to the letter. I like to add my own side stories and some twists and turns to make them familiar but not trudging through the same stuff everyone has played through ad nauseam. Knowing she is alive just adds more fuel to Vector's fire but also gives him pause for more worry. He is not in for an easy time of it.

First of, I enjoy how you're weaving little events from the game into the story. Separation of the crew, Kaliyo's comment she may take up on a better deal should it come along, the structure above Hoth. It was also really nice to see Saganu again, likely the only Chiss who ever stole my heart.

I'm glad Vowrawn escorted Vector away from Nox's clutches, and I hope Vector won't have to face her again. Greedy deviant who's got little respect for his mourning, or the fact he'd never be interested in the likes of her... then again that just might make him that much more interesting to her. Bad Nox. I do really enjoy your Vowrawn, he brings a smile to my face.

Ah and the pain of having to revisit Hoth after the last time they were there when Serevin had Rey'elle. Things really aren't easy for Vector. As if losing Rey isn't bad enough it would seem he's reminded of her in both the best and worst ways possible everywhere he turns and my heart aches for him.

I also really liked the hive connection you described and wrote of. His fear of what would happen to his human emotions, his love for Rey'elle should he surrender himself to the hive again fully. A dreadful thought but a realistic one too.. I hope his love remains in tact no matter what. Hopefully the idea that she's still alive out there will fuel him in times to come and give him the strength he needs.

Wonderful chapter as always Misha, I really look forward to the next.

I always wondered how the hell Kaliyo and Scorpio got to Zakuul in the first place. Unless I missed something, I don't think that was ever explained in game. Anyway, I try to give some sort of logical explanation as to why they left the ship in the first place.

Not sure I will revisit the Nox thing, but she definitely has an interest in Vector, simply because she hasn't had him. If she ever did, she would likely cast him aside and then on to other challenges. My Nox is such a vixen and I love portraying her that way.

Yes, Vector sees Rey'elle everywhere and he keeps being thrust into situations of the past that hold so many memories, both good and bad.

Vector both loves and fears the effect the hive has on him. He would never want to lose his joiner status, but he also does not want to go back to what he was before he met Rey'elle. Even in game he struggled to regain those parts of his humanity that he had lost. He will now need to struggle against losing it all again, things won't be easy for him in the chapters to come.

Author's Note:

This is a bit of a throw away chapter, not much going on, but still needed to be in the story so decided to go ahead and post it now and then back to the Sunday schedule.

Chapter Five

The night was long and filled with the constant replay of her voice. Knowing she still lived relieved only a fraction of the grief he felt and not knowing her whereabouts or condition did nothing to ease the tightening in his chest. Vector found no reprieve in sleep that eluded him and was thankful when someone knocked on his door letting him know that dawn had arrived and he could be on his way. He rolled out of the bunk, used the refresher and donned his cold weather garb before opening the door to be greeted by the ensign who had escorted him the night before.

As he walked into the control room of the base, he noticed Saganu and Raina talking together on the far side. Both turned to watch him as he approached.

Raina extended her hand toward him and he grasped it with both of his, feeling as if he were abandoning one of his own.

“I know that look, Vector. This is the best place for me, given the circumstances, and the safest. Many of these people are my friends, so you are leaving me in good hands and I will continue to monitor the situation and report to Minister Beniko as directed. You take care, my friend, and find our agent if you can.”

“Call us if you need anything, Raina, anything at all. You will be missed,” said Vector before he turned to Saganu. “See that she comes to no harm, Aristocra, we fear that Rey’elle would never forgive either of us if we let anything happen to one of her crew.”

“So, you think she still lives?” asked Saganu, doubt coloring his tone.

“We know it,” answered Vector as he let go of Raina’s hand and turned to follow ensign Ch’lan to the vehicle storage room to retrieve his speeder.

The trip back to Dorn base seemed shorter than the trip to Zero Station and he arrived shortly after noon. He had to wait another two hours for a shuttle but was finally on his way back to the ship and then Nar Shaddaa. He had something he needed Scorpio to do while they were in flight.

“Kaliyo,” he called as soon as he was on board the Phantom. “Take us out, carefully, and go to hyperspace as soon as we are clear of the station. We would prefer not to have an encounter with that fleet lying in wait.”

“Nar Shaddaa?” asked Kaliyo.

“Yes,” Vector said as he walked to his room to remove and store the cold weather gear and grab a membrosia orb for sustenance. He would require solid food soon, another sign of the lessening pheromone chemicals, but he could survive another few days on the nectar provided by the hives givers.

The nest greeted him happily and was glad to have him within range of the aura of the fingerlings that inhabited the ship, it strengthened the link and made communications easier, they were always ill at ease when he traveled too far from their contact.

Their presence was something that Rey’elle knew about, but he had neglected to tell the others for fear that they would not understand. Kaliyo would have likely used chemicals and Lokin dissection to better understand Killik physiology. It was safer for the nest that all others were ignorant.

Vector made his way to the engine room that Scorpio had taken up as her preferred station. She could monitor the various drives and also had access to a terminal which allowed her to monitor the holonet and other sundry frequencies.

“What can I do for you, Vector,” she asked as he entered the room.

“When we asked you to break the encryption on Rey’elle’s personal holo before Hoth, did you happen to keep a copy of her contacts and codes?”

“Of course. I believe in contingencies, Vector, and information is sustenance, no matter how mundane.”

“We require the private code for Ardun Kothe. We know that she had contacted him on occasion and desire to speak with him.”

“For what purpose?”

“This new enemy is attacking both republic and empire and he may have insight that we lack, plus he may have information on where Rey’elle may be. Please do not give us trivial numbers again as to why she should be dead, Scorpio. There are things that speak to us that logic and calculations cannot begin to fathom.”

“Very well. It may take some time, but I will notify you when I have the information you seek. Now please leave, your presence is disruptive.”

“One more question. What do you make of this new fleet, surely you have done some analysis.”

Scorpio leveled her eyes on him and they flared like liquid gold for just an instant. “I am presently collating the few facts that are available to me and have found nothing of significance yet but will notify you of any change.”

Something in her reply bothered him, some tiny nuance that set him on edge. “Very well, Scorpio, continue with your work.”

She had already turned her back on him by the time he did an about face to leave her presence.

She is up to something,’ he thought as he walked back into the common room to wait. ‘But then, she is always up to something and, more often than not, to serve her own interests.’

A little over an hour later, Scorpio walked into the common room and programmed the required code into the terminal.

“I have done as you asked,” was all she said before she retreated again to the engine room.

Once again, Vector was a victim of too much time, and even though he was sure she lived, he was still haunted by her absence and still grieved the loss of everything she brought to him. The laughter they shared, the intimate moments, her tears, her smile, her touch, all out of reach now, out of sight. Misery became a constant burden that he could not even share and sometimes he thought he would crumble under the sheer mass of it all.

He went into the cockpit and sat in the copilot seat next to Kaliyo. “How long to Nar Shaddaa?”

“Seven days, give or take,” she leaned back in the pilot’s chair and glanced over at him. “You know what chaps my a.ss, Vector?”

“Please enlighten us, Kaliyo.”

“The fact that you couldn’t wait to get me off this ship. The fact that you didn’t even ask if I wanted to stay and didn’t try to talk me out of it when I agreed. First Raina, then me, who’s next? You’ve got that whole damned bug hive, home thing going for you. Me? I got nothin’.”

Vector turned slightly in his seat so he could look directly into her face. “Kaliyo, we have never been friends and likely never will be. Rey’elle tempered our impatience with you when most of the time we wanted nothing more than to wring your neck. However, we do see value in what you offer and the talents that you possess.

“You must take what we are about to say as complements, not condemnations. There is no person on this ship more devious, scheming or cunning than you. There is no one else we can trust to work their way around Nar Shaddaa. You have contacts, inroads and insight into the pulse of that place that no one else has. Your personal shortcomings are an asset in that environment and you are more than well equipped to survive. And, you are tenacious to a fault, you do not give up.

“We did not make the decision lightly, Kaliyo, but if Rey’elle were here, we feel that she would have asked the same of you. This new threat is beyond anything we have faced before, already they move against us, and we require eyes and ears everywhere. There are no better eyes than yours.”

Kaliyo snorted. “Yeah, well, pretty speeches won’t change my mind or opinion of you, bug boy and I already know how damned good I am. Anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, I’ll play your little game until something comes along that’s more up my alley. Just don’t learn to rely on me too much or for too long.”

“We never do,” Vector stated as he got out of the seat to go back to his quarters. Once there, he took his personal datapad and began to compose a letter.

Subject: We no longer hear your song.

Dearest. We do not know if this will ever reach you but we will send it anyway. We have replayed the attack on Darth Marr’s destroyer from all angles and can find no closure in what we see. We heard your song rise into a deafening scream and then go silent and we have searched for your aura in the wreckage and detected not even the faintest glow.

We heard your voice in the winds of the universe, so distant and quiet we almost missed the whisper. We know you still live and we will search endlessly. The ship, our home we shared is now cold and we see your visage everywhere we turn but we miss your touch, your body close to ours, the sound of your voice, the depth of emotions and sensations that only you can awaken.

We do not know what the future holds or what we will become without you for we have lost our center and the next verse in the song has no words. We love you, we will come for you and if you can, find some way to illuminate our path. We will constantly be watching for that light in the darkening days.

Yours always,

Vector

He would send the letter from Nar Shaddaa and, perhaps, if the universe is kind, she will receive it and find some comfort in the words.

Vector then walked to the med bay and found Dr. Lokin at his usual place in front of his monitor, scanning the lines of data that scrolled by. “We hope we are not disturbing you, doctor.”

“Of course not, my boy, just let this analysis finish and I will be right with you,” Lokin said as a deep frown crossed his face and he watched the last of the data scroll off the screen.

“You know it is a mistake sending Kaliyo to Nar Shaddaa alone.” Lokin remarked as he turned around on the swivel stool on which he sat.

Vector closed the door. “We are aware of the risks, but we find them acceptable. She would become bored and disruptive if she remained with us, and a bored Kaliyo is capable of anything. You know this.”

“All too well,” admitted Lokin. “And what of Scorpio?”

“We have been considering something you repeated when we saw that fleet over Hoth. Like they are controlled by nothing human. We begin to wonder if Scorpio knows more than she is saying. What if that fleet is robotic in nature and what if Scorpio somehow knows this. She worries us, doctor.

“She was, after all, created by an ancient race and has spent most of her time upgrading herself via these ‘iterations’ as she puts it. She knows a great deal about imperial tactics, culture, even secrets. She could do us great harm.”

“Or great good, Vector. If she can unravel the secrets of this mysterious interloper, she could provide the means to defeating it. But, I suppose she does bear watching, although I am at a loss as to just how to do it. She is beyond anything that can be controlled by traditional means thus, I believe, the only strategy is to wait and see.

“We need more information about the origins of that fleet, and until we get more data, everything is guesswork, at best.”

“We suppose you are correct, doctor. Speaking with you always brings clarity. We fear that we have been distracted to the point of seeing conspiracies everywhere.”

“And how are you doing, Vector?”

“To be honest, if we knew for certain that Rey’elle were dead, we would ask the hive to take us deep within the hibernation catacombs, cocoon us and let us sleep until nothing was left except dust.

“But, we heard her call to us on Hoth, the sound was as small as a mote in a sunbeam, she is alive, doctor, and we must continue until she is safe within our arms once more. No matter the cost or how long it takes, although this knowledge does little to ease our mind.”

Doctor Lokin rubbed his chin between his thumb and index finger. “I must confess I have never understood this bond you have with the universe or the songs you claim to hear, but I have seen enough to take you at your word and I will help as long as I can. You have my word on that.”

“We thank you, doctor, for your continued friendship.”

Kaliyo and Lokin seemed to resurrect some of their old camaraderie in the remaining days of the journey to Nar Shaddaa. Nothing to the depth of the physical encounters they had once shared, but simple, joking banter, perhaps their way of saying goodbye.

Much of their humor escaped Vector, but it was nice to have laughter to break up the monotony of the long flight. Scorpio remained distant, as usual, an enigma wrapped in a metal skin. No one truly knew her mind, and that possibility alone was frightening.

They came out of hyperspace over the ecumenopolis of Nar Shaddaa. The surface lights created a halo around the moon, reflected and amplified by the atmosphere of smog and noxious gases that surrounded it.

“Ugh,” said Kaliyo. “You can almost smell it from here. You better make sure you give me plenty of kolto and antibiotic cream to put in my pack, Eckard.”

“Of course, my dear. Can’t have you picking up a case of the Bothan Nether Rot, now can we?” Lokin laughed.

“That’s, of course, depending on whether or not I decide to get horizontal with a bothan, old man.”

“Kaliyo, do a high orbit sweep please. Use the cloak if you need to, then we will land,” said Vector.

“Aye, aye, sir,” snapped Kaliyo, but she did as he asked.

“My stars,” said Lokin. “There’s another one of those damned things. Just started it looks like, and there’s another small fleet guarding it.”

“Turn us around, Kaliyo, we’ve seen enough. Get us planetside as soon as you can.”

“Scorpio, get up here.” ordered Vector. “How long until these things are complete, best estimate?”

Scorpio glanced at the structure before Kaliyo turned the ship around. “Most orbital spaceports took between three and five years to be fully completed, usually being partially operational after two. I estimate two years, possibly three at most, with partial operations being possible after one year. Of course this would depend upon resources and labor, which seem to be no problem here. Droids are infinitely more efficient than humanoids.”

“Any idea what they are for?” asked Vector.

“I am still collating data. At this time even an educated guess would be a waste of processing power since accurate input is unavailable. Perhaps you should ask the architects when they reveal themselves,” Scorpio replied before leaving.

Vector and Lokin simply exchanged glances, nothing needed to be said. Kaliyo did not share the same need for silence. “That’s one b.itch I won’t be sorry to leave behind. She’s always given me the creeps.”

Kaliyo docked the Phantom at Mezenti spaceport with no trouble. A quick look out of the cockpit window did not show any evidence of damage and the crews began immediately with the refueling process.

Kaliyo left the cockpit to gather her things and arrived back at the exit with a duffel, a backpack and her rifle slung over her shoulder.

She punched Vector on the shoulder but not as hard as she could have. “So, bug boy, guess this is it then. Can’t say we had a lot of good times, but at least it was never boring.”

She dropped her duffel and backpack to the floor, and grabbed Lokin by the front of his lab coat, planting a very wet and long kiss on his lips. Vector turned away to give them a moment of privacy when Lokin put his arms around the Rattataki and pulled her close. They hung together for a few minutes and finally parted, Kaliyo with her lipstick slightly smeared and Lokin with a dark smudge around his mouth.

“Thanks for the fun and the good times Doc. You gave me a few nice memories too and I don’t have a lot of those to carry around with me. Take care of yourself, old man, keep that beast in check, ok?”

She retrieved her things and pressed the control to open the exit and extend the boarding ramp, and turned one last time to speak to Vector. “You find her bug boy, neither of you is worth a s.hit without the other. I’ll stay in touch for as long as I can. Got some friends here I can bunk with for a while and just make sure the empire keeps the credits coming or I might forget to check in. Be seeing you around.”

Vector watched Lokin retreat slowly to the med bay while he closed the airlock.

And then there were three,’ he thought as he headed back to the cockpit to check on the preparations for their trip to Alderaan.

(To be Continued)