Everyone seems to agree...

Mahael

Spent some time reading in this forum looking for the best route to take my Scoundrel (Healing PVP focus) and came to two conclusions about the crafing skills available.

1. Nobody feels like crafting matters to endgame, and many people are upset by that.

2. Smart people find ways to make money with their crafting skills when an opportunity arises.

Thoughts? :D

End game mods can be crafted. Not sure what posts you were reading, but crafting has a great deal of impact on end-game raiding because of this.

So Cybertech (armoring and mods) and Artifice (enhancements and hilts) and Armtechs (barrels) can make endgame mods. What about Armormech and Synthweaving? All they can make are augment at end game.

That being said, being able to craft the best gear available is a game design choice. In SWG, most of the best gear available was crafted. SWTOR, has followed the WoW model, which allows you to craft entry level end game gear, but beyond that you MUST participate in end game to get better gear.

Overall I tend to agree with the design choices made. But, I will admit that stems from playing more games that use the SWTOR model than that of SWG; it is what I am used to.

All the gear crafting crew skills CAN craft gear that is roughly equivalent up to Columi quality gear. This is entry level end game gear. If you are in full Columi quality gear you can mow through any HM FP and get through up to SM KP (SM EV, HM EV, SM KP), without GEAR being the problem (execution of tactics/strategies against boss mechanics is a different story). Doing the operations specified will get you Rakata quality gear, which readies you for what lies beyond - HM KP, SM EC, etc.

If you choose to not do operations, you can still get up to Black Hole quality gear by doing HM FPs through the group finder and weekly quests. It will take a LONG time but it can be done; I have a smuggler who has never seen the inside of an operation and yet most of his gear is better than Columi. And now you can get Campaign quality armoring via BH comms.

Edited by psandak

Spent some time reading in this forum looking for the best route to take my Scoundrel (Healing PVP focus) and came to two conclusions about the crafing skills available.

1. Nobody feels like crafting matters to endgame, and many people are upset by that.

2. Smart people find ways to make money with their crafting skills when an opportunity arises.

Thoughts? :D

My thought?

You've got it BACKWARDS.

Crafting doesn't matter to leveling.

It's only relevant for endgame Operations.

So Cybertech (armoring and mods) and Artifice (enhancements and hilts) and Armtechs (barrels) can make endgame mods. What about Armormech and Synthweaving? All they can make are augment at end game.

That being said, being able to craft the best gear available is a game design choice. In SWG, most of the best gear available was crafted. SWTOR, has followed the WoW model, which allows you to craft entry level end game gear, but beyond that you MUST participate in end game to get better gear.

Overall I tend to agree with the design choices made. But, I will admit that stems from playing more games that use the SWTOR model than that of SWG; it is what I am used to.

All the gear crafting crew skills CAN craft gear that is roughly equivalent up to Columi quality gear. This is entry level end game gear. If you are in full Columi quality gear you can mow through any HM FP and get through up to SM KP (SM EV, HM EV, SM KP), without GEAR being the problem (execution of tactics/strategies against boss mechanics is a different story). Doing the operations specified will get you Rakata quality gear, which readies you for what lies beyond - HM KP, SM EC, etc.

If you choose to not do operations, you can still get up to Black Hole quality gear by doing HM FPs through the group finder and weekly quests. It will take a LONG time but it can be done; I have a smuggler who has never seen the inside of an operation and yet most of his gear is better than Columi. And now you can get Campaign quality armoring via BH comms.

Wrong. SWTOR is completely different than WoW in gearing at end game.

You can craft or purchase for credit (or cash indirectly through selling Cartel items in-game) BIS items that will have you tossing your Rakata gear on your companions, or doing another ridiculous thing for this type of game, passing the 'guts' (mods) to your alts.

And because Bioware still hasn't figured out how to itemize properly, to get BIS at end-game you will most likely be using crafted components.

The only thing that can't be crafted for end-game are armor mods with the set bonuses, but you can use older shells for bonuses (and some classes prefer the older PVP set bonuses anyways) or buy nearly BIS campaign armorings.

And by the way, for mods, enhancements and barrels, you can actually learn and craft the BIS end game stuff on your lowbie alts by sending them stuff to RE to schematics using legacy gear.

Edited by DawnAskham

So Cybertech (armoring and mods) and Artifice (enhancements and hilts) and Armtechs (barrels) can make endgame mods. What about Armormech and Synthweaving? All they can make are augment at end game....

I think it would be nice if they let armormech and synthweaving RE any armor for a chance to learn an orange shell, including the cartel market stuff.

there has to be a line drawn somewhere with end game crafted gear which requires some type of involvement in end game content. be it the attaining of the materials or the schematics it really doesnt matter. in doing this some crewskills will have a "edge" over others by simply what that crewskill can craft and or use exclusively.

this puts balancing crewskills in a delicate position from a development perspective. this development is still a work in progress and has obtained huge advancements since launch. it will continue to improve as time permits too.

what is needed are constructive ideas like the re of gear for orange schematics by synthweavers and armortechs. bioware has already stated however with the massive amount of gear in game it just will be too time extensive to make such a feature. bioware did add several orange schematics to ut mission crits as a compromise.

making credits with crewskills is a minigame. it requires constant market review of prices, quality and quantity of what you want to sell. also you need to know when, how long and how to price in using the gtn for you wares. the crafters which make consistent credits on the gtn keep a "pulse" on such. this is where players have differences in the profitability of crewskills. those successful can do this. others are learning. but some never will learn.

this lack of learning or simply not wanting to is one reason why biochem and harvesting is so popular. it isnt a bad thing. we all have our strengths, weaknesses and preferences.

ps: during the first few months after launch biochem was the only crewskill which had a use for endgame. some old and now returning players still cling to the old knowledge of such.

OP is scoundrel PvP so the best for you would be to go biochem. Grind up some comms to buy the exotech stims.

1) use on yourself.

2) sell excess stims and adrenals on market.

This way you boost yourself. And make creds so you can buy whatever you like.

Edited by SPrime

...what is needed are constructive ideas like the re of gear for orange schematics by synthweavers and armortechs. bioware has already stated however with the massive amount of gear in game it just will be too time extensive to make such a feature...

Maybe they could just do it with gear going forward, just like the cybertech and artifice end game stuff only applies to mods in black hole level gear and up. Perhaps it's just too much work to make two items for every piece of gear, but it would sure make those crafting skills more attractive.