Gunslinger or Scoundrel?

FeelFlow

Choices choices...

I chose a scoundel originallly, but couldn\t get used to the idea of having a gunfight at close quarters. It just seemed.... Silly.

Then I re-rolled and picked a gunslinger. However, I find that I'm simply a static gun-turret. Which doesn't feel 'Han Solo-y'.

So fellow players - should I persevere with my gunslinger and just get into it? Or didn't I give my scoundrel a chance?

Essentially I want to play my Smuggler like Han Solo - a blaster, lots of skill and a lot of luck and not much else. What's best?

Thanks in advance!

scoundrel healers are pretty good, would rank them probably #1 for pvp and #2 for pve as far as healers go. Dont see many dps versions running around warzones, although I know they exist. Cant comment on how they preform tho.

Gunslingers tho. One of my fav's. I prefer the sab tree(middle tree). Its the middle of the road tree as far as mobility goes. Sniper you are a sitting turrent and dirty fighting is the most mobile of the gunslingers. I would suggest playing around in the tree's first.

It's a bit of a mixed bag. If you want mobility, go for Scoundrel. If you want the fire power, go for Gunslinger. Both play differently, as you point out, but none really have that mixed bag of really being the mobile powerhouse with range. I'd say the more Han Solo-y option would be a Scoundrel because he is the much more mobile one and, as you say, not staying in one place all the time to fire his damage. That said, you would have to get used to being close range since that is where they are more effective, though there are some ranged attacks.

But, yeah, if you're looking for the one that needs the luck to survive and a lot of skill and thought to be good, definitely go the Scoundrel route.

Thanks everyone.

I have a feeling that the scoundrel is the advanced class for me. I don't want to be a static gun-platform and I think that that's what the gunslinger is i.e. like a pve mage in WoW.

Seems that the Scoundrel is a lot more inventive and mobile - time to re-roll then!

Thanks all.

scoundrel healers are pretty good, would rank them probably #1 for pvp and #2 for pve as far as healers go. Dont see many dps versions running around warzones, although I know they exist. Cant comment on how they preform tho.

Gunslingers tho. One of my fav's. I prefer the sab tree(middle tree). Its the middle of the road tree as far as mobility goes. Sniper you are a sitting turrent and dirty fighting is the most mobile of the gunslingers. I would suggest playing around in the tree's first.

Thanks for this too. Perhaps I'll try the other trees in gunslinger first, as you said.

The problem I have with the Smuggler is that it's too 'gadgety'. I don't remember Han Solo in the movies having so much gadgets - stealth and mobile cover etc. He just had a lot of luck, charm, a good ship and a good blaster!

I've tried both and favoured both op and scoundrel. They both offer so much flexibility. You can provide back up heal, cc a mob and droid to support groups. Tired off killing mobs when entering every dungeon? Stealth past them. Being a static gun turret might befit the empires sniper advanced class, but a gunslinger... Nah

There's no class in this game that's like Han Solo, regardless of the "smuggler" name. Dirty fighting tree as either gunslinger or scoundrel would be the somewhat remotely closest and even then you would probably still not be happy with the fact that a) soundrels have "gadgets" i.e stealth/healing devices, and b) gunslingers use 2 pistols. I'm a Boba fan when it comes to the movies, but I would never play a mercenary. See what i'm saying?

Tl;Dr - Smugglers battlemaster gear is the most boss space cowboy **** ever, and Boba > Han

I've leveled to 50 in Gunslinger sharpshooter tree, and Operative healing tree (which is the same as Sawbones). I much, much preferred the healing/stealth, but that may be because it fits my personality.

With the Sharpshooter tree, you're very much a stationary turret. You do very large amounts of single-target DPS, but you're limited in what you can do as far as AoE goes. Energy management was almost never a problem with me, and beating the class story was fairly easy.

My Operative (Sawbones equivalent) was...almost laughably easy. With healing, decent DPS in PvE, two forms of CC (one for droids, one for organics) and a stealth ability that lets you leave a fight if it gets too tough, I don't think I died even once. Plus, this was my favorite healing class.

Having played a stealthy character, it's very hard to go back to someone who isn't stealthy. I like being able to skip fights if, say, I've gone into a cave and don't really feel like fighting back out again. I like being able to sneak to PvP objectives on the rare occasion I play it.

But find a playstyle that works for you. From the sound of things, the dirty fighting tree might be something you'd enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
If I am not interested in healing, should I not even bother with scoundrel? I have a sniper on the imp side so that makes me not want to do gunslinger and go scoundrel for something different. I like the stealth melee, but don't care for healing (and I'm bad at it). On the other hand, dual blasters looks cool.

If I am not interested in healing, should I not even bother with scoundrel? I have a sniper on the imp side so that makes me not want to do gunslinger and go scoundrel for something different. I like the stealth melee, but don't care for healing (and I'm bad at it). On the other hand, dual blasters looks cool.

You can be a DPS scoundrel. Provided you can open from stealth, you're pretty lethal. I have lots of fun with my concealment operative.

DPS Scoundrel (as in scrapper) is a lot of fun. But it's hard at 50, you have to know what you're doing and get gear.

If you want to shoot strangers in the back of the head when they're least expecting it... I mean "Defend our beloved Republic"..., and welcome a challenge, go for it.

Edited by Wainamoinen

• 2 weeks later...
I have both a gunslinger and operative, and they are both fun classes. In my opinion though i would say operative/scoundrel. Their dps is not that good in raids but in pvp I think it is pure gold when you shoot a sith onto their face. It comes down to if you wanna stay and range and dish out huge amounts of damage, or get up close and personal and focus on burst

I have both,though my Gunslinger is only mid-level.

For fun, the Scoundrel wins.You have too many tools and too many strategies.

For a simpler class to play,Gunslinger is better,especially for pvp.It's easier to get kills with a Gunslinger than to get kills with a Scoundrel.

If you don't like being a turret,just spec your Gunslinger as Dirty Fighting and you don't have to bunker down if you don't want to.

Scoundrel healing tree. But for fun, get some "dirty fighting" tree points early on:

No Holds Barred (3)

Black Market Mods (2)

Dirty Escape (2)

Other than that, typical sawbones, adding in the 3% healing points

from "scrapper" tree very late in your leveling process.

Keeping Bowdar and Akavvi up while they have aoe skills turned on

is really fun. Turn off their aoes if you want them to fight safely in situations

where you need to keep both your sap and slice cc's unmolested. Get good

at directing them to keep aggro off you, and use dirty kick with abandon!

You can solo just about any heroic2 while leveling, and many heroic4s.

What you learn doing this also works exceedingly well in flashpoints.

Pvp, maybe you'd change it up a bit at very high levels. But a heavy sawbones

with a good dirty kick is great in lower level pug pvp.

Scoundrel healing tree. But for fun, get some "dirty fighting" tree points early on:

No Holds Barred (3)

Black Market Mods (2)

Dirty Escape (2)

Other than that, typical sawbones, adding in the 3% healing points

from "scrapper" tree very late in your leveling process.

Keeping Bowdar and Akavvi up while they have aoe skills turned on

is really fun. Turn off their aoes if you want them to fight safely in situations

where you need to keep both your sap and slice cc's unmolested. Get good

at directing them to keep aggro off you, and use dirty kick with abandon!

You can solo just about any heroic2 while leveling, and many heroic4s.

What you learn doing this also works exceedingly well in flashpoints.

Pvp, maybe you'd change it up a bit at very high levels. But a heavy sawbones

with a good dirty kick is great in lower level pug pvp.