Any plans for adding new playable species? Togruta maybe?

Since the Cathar was actually added Ive been wondering if there are plans to add new playable species, I mean there are more humanoid alien species that can be adapted to be playable.

I was specially thinking on the Togruta because they are well know and liked on the star wars universe, Ive seen already people asking for it since the game was on development and there are already many models to start working with. I understand the big problem is the headgear compatibility I guess you can make the same as you did with twileks, adjust headbands to forehead, let the horns visible on some masks and hide them with some helmets that doesnt look aesthetic with them.

For hoods just design a hood for this kind of character or simply dont allow this characters to wear hoods.

I think its pretty easy to make the Togruta playable since most gear is already tested with Ashara.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put a little wish..

Togrutaaaa!

Togruta was my number 1 choice even before actuall release of game when I hoped deep in my soul for them to be waiting for me as one of possible races to pick. One of reasons I really believed they are going to be there was quite a couple of forum portraits.

I recently returned after a break with couple friends and we are enjoying our time a lot, yet I believe Togruta as playable race would just make this enjoyment to skyrocket up to...ye..sky.

Please make it happen, I do not mean to speak for others, but i dare say there is much more peeps with similar wish.

They did say that If Cathar sold well then they would do new species. Cathar did well but still no new info and it's been some time now...

which the tin hat junkie in me thinks this is a GOOD thing that they might actually, maybe, could be, possibly *fingers crossed* adding togruta race given the effort required to actually implement it.

otherwise i think we would have had one by now, especially with the Oricon. that, or it didn't do as well as they had thought it would.

which the tin hat junkie in me thinks this is a GOOD thing that they might actually, maybe, could be, possibly *fingers crossed* adding togruta race given the effort required to actually implement it. .

I doubt it would actually be hard to implement. I've seen plenty Togruta male and female models with body types 1 and 2, heads, skin colors and face marks across the game, and the most important they have Ashara who is already implemented to wear most of the game's gear.

The only ones they had to implement now are the models for body type 3 and 4, from them I've seen none in game. But resources to make a playable specie from them, they got plenty to start from.

They did say that If Cathar sold well then they would do new species. Cathar did well but still no new info and it's been some time now...

It seems rather amusing, at least to me, they base their plans to implement new species on first one additional species that is Cathar. Now without any offense against our Cathar friends, i find that one hardly able to compete against Togruta, which is, as i dare to believe and say possibly twice or even more demanded all around SWTOR community and it has always been, even before the game's actual release.

There were different choices too, Nautolan for expamle. But it was said many times that issue is with clipping and designing armor. One would say that is beauty of SW universe when it comes to races, they look different. We could starightly go for game where we run as stick figures of different colors of rainbow.

But seriously, judging the possibility of selling people candy dependding on how they were buying vegetable seems to me sooo...strange at best

:(

I doubt it would actually be hard to implement. I've seen plenty Togruta male and female models with body types 1 and 2, heads, skin colors and face marks across the game, and the most important they have Ashara who is already implemented to wear most of the game's gear.

The only ones they had to implement now are the models for body type 3 and 4, from them I've seen none in game. But resources to make a playable specie from them, they got plenty to start from.

you have to remember those are static chars and a limited set of armor types. The one exception would be sith inquisitor companion, but again predetermined char, with set animations that DOES have clipping issues in many places.

Given 4 body types, 2 genders, and 3 armor types + all the adaptive armor, it can get rather difficult to update all art (or at least minimize the art) for clipping issues. Devs have said that togruta although popular does present a variety of problems. The Twi'lek was difficult enough and many art had to be tweaked for the lekku which only appear on the back and also tend to clip with items such as capes.

It may not "seem" difficult, but it isn't simply a point, click, and done deal.

you have to remember those are static chars and a limited set of armor types. The one exception would be sith inquisitor companion, but again predetermined char, with set animations that DOES have clipping issues in many places.

Given 4 body types, 2 genders, and 3 armor types + all the adaptive armor, it can get rather difficult to update all art (or at least minimize the art) for clipping issues. Devs have said that togruta although popular does present a variety of problems. The Twi'lek was difficult enough and many art had to be tweaked for the lekku which only appear on the back and also tend to clip with items such as capes.

It may not "seem" difficult, but it isn't simply a point, click, and done deal.

And this is the thing we can hear ALL THE TIME since release. Now with all due respect to everyone, SWTOR characters already look really similar. Recolored humans with different hairdresses, little spikes on face, Twi'lek is the only one who has something "really different".

What I am saying is, that I can hardly find any excuse. Species are supposed to be different, giving as an apology ...

this... That sounds like saying "Ummm...we cannot put in this race, cause it is different".

I dont mean to offend devs, but is it problems or work they are actually talking about. One should have expected this in SW Universe and take this as neccesity. Not taking quick way out by giving players to pick from colorfull pallette of colorfull humans

Well of course, if that would trouble me so much, I would nost probably quit game back then, still in early access.

Anyhow Togruta's popularity seems to be really really big to ignore. And I just hope they see it the similar way...

Or stuff my face with something else .....ike housing xD

Edited by Alenaar

But how many times has BW said similar things and then failed to deliver?

Off the top of my head:

- Legacy system is very well accepted, but it has bee around 18 months since they've expanded it.

- Character Appearance kiosk was very well accepted, but we have not seen any new styles introduced since they first rolled-out the kiosks.

- Recurring events are very popular, but BW introduces new rewards at a snails pace ... so the last to BH Weeks have been completely uninteresting to me at least.

- CM used to offer up a new armor set for sale (not a gambling box armor set) with every new patch (~every 2 weeks). It's been months since the last armor set was introduced.

IMO, all of BW statements and promises have a very short shelf-life. It strongly suggests that BW has very poor direction/planning on a vision of where SWTOR is heading long-term.

Since the Cathar was actually added Ive been wondering if there are plans to add new playable species, I mean there are more humanoid alien species that can be adapted to be playable.

I was specially thinking on the Togruta because they are well know and liked on the star wars universe, Ive seen already people asking for it since the game was on development and there are already many models to start working with. I understand the big problem is the headgear compatibility I guess you can make the same as you did with twileks, adjust headbands to forehead, let the horns visible on some masks and hide them with some helmets that doesnt look aesthetic with them.

For hoods just design a hood for this kind of character or simply dont allow this characters to wear hoods.

I think its pretty easy to make the Togruta playable since most gear is already tested with Ashara.

They said they had clipping issues with the Togruta, because the head tentacles rest on the shoulders rather than being freestanding like the Twilek "Lekku", this apparaently affects the outfits when you equip.

But I would like to see more races available.

I want togruta BADLY too. I've been waiting on this to roll my main. Unfortunatly I don't think it will ever happen. Bioware seems more interested in making new cartel lockboxes then anything. I hope I get proved wrong but at this point I'm losing faith. I have purchased everything I want for this character and it's just sitting in my bank waiting for the day. I'm surprised bioware hasn't said a damn thing about this. We have already told them that we would gladly pay for it but again I don't think they care.

This is why I sub off and on all the time. Every time I go to level up a alt it's just like ugghh. I don't understand why companies ignore the paying customer base when we clearly tell them we will happily pay for something. Like I said, I really don't think it will happen and if so then eventually I will stop subbing all together.

They said they had clipping issues with the Togruta, because the head tentacles rest on the shoulders rather than being freestanding like the Twilek "Lekku", this apparaently affects the outfits when you equip.

But I would like to see more races available.

This is the key thing: since they said that, they put out the new human hair styles that include... wait for it... hair that falls forward over the shoulders!

When I saw that the first thing I thought was "Hey, hopefully they're testing clipping issues so we can get Togruta and Nautolians (and maybe new variations on the Twi'lek looks)!"

Here's hoping. Both Nautolians and Togruta are definitely in my top 5 races I'd like to see added.

These species should definitely be in game. It's ridiculous.

Since before this game went live, several different screen shots hinted at more species being available. And yes, some will say "Those screenshots were from an early unfinished build of the game and you shouldn't have taken anything from it other than 'this is what the game will sort of look like'".

Well I'm a little pissed about that, to be honest. We saw Jedi Kel Dors and Togrutas as well as a Sith Chagrian.

And with all the promises the developers made for this game, you'd think they'd give us something more than : Red human, normal Human, blue Human, green Human, blind Human, Human with horns and so on.

Why is it that SWG did a better job with species than a game that was released in 2012? Galaxies had Wookiees, Bothans, Rodians, Mon Calamari, Ithorians, Sullustans, Trandoshans.... WAY better options than what TOR has.

These species should definitely be in game. It's ridiculous.

Since before this game went live, several different screen shots hinted at more species being available. And yes, some will say "Those screenshots were from an early unfinished build of the game and you shouldn't have taken anything from it other than 'this is what the game will sort of look like'".

Well I'm a little pissed about that, to be honest. We saw Jedi Kel Dors and Togrutas as well as a Sith Chagrian.

And with all the promises the developers made for this game, you'd think they'd give us something more than : Red human, normal Human, blue Human, green Human, blind Human, Human with horns and so on.

Why is it that SWG did a better job with species than a game that was released in 2012? Galaxies had Wookiees, Bothans, Rodians, Mon Calamari, Ithorians, Sullustans, Trandoshans.... WAY better options than what TOR has.

• Lower end graphics
  • Customers did not care as much about poor graphics back then.

Also did SWG have ALL those species at launch? I honestly do not know, but given other experiences in other games for longer periods of time...probably not.

I can tell you there is another Race being worked on. They said so at the New York Cantina Tour. Few of us heard them talking about it while we were Mingling with the Devs.

They didn't say what, or when, but they did say there would be a new one in the future.

• Lower end graphics
  • Customers did not care as much about poor graphics back then.

Also did SWG have ALL those species at launch? I honestly do not know, but given other experiences in other games for longer periods of time...probably not.

Even for lower end graphics they looked pretty good. And with better graphics and models for these species already present in game, I fail to see WHY they can't be included.

Most of them were at launch. Only a few were added later. Doesn't make a difference though. SWG still had a better selection at launch than TOR did.

Edited by EnufThree

I heard from a friend who assisted to one of the latest cantina tours that someone asked if they where going to add new species to the game; Question that Damion Schubert answered saying that they are MUCH more open to alien species than previously, and that it certainly is NOT out of the realm of possibility. He said they pay close attention to the Polls that forum users make regarding species, and that if you really want a particular one vote for it. He also told that Ithorians and Trandoshans would require either a lot of their own gear, or wear invisible gear. He was not scared to talk about it though. He seemed like he was for the idea of adding Ithorians and other more alien races. (Which I thought was very difficult, and insane just to imagine how the kiss scenes would look like lol.)

And that there is a new Specie being worked on. In exoticness its somewhere "Between Cathar and Twi'lek". So expect it to be a little more than just a reskinned Human.

I really hope the next ( super secret ) species is togruta. I've been waiting to play one since beta. If this became a option I would play a whole lot more then I do now and I'd be more willing to keep subbing. I will keep my fingers crossed but I'm not holding out much hope. I've had too much experience with game publishers who release the exact opposite of what people actually want to pay for.

Though Bioware may not do this, I would just to preserve continuity. I would make Togrutas available for all republic classes for free and make Empire character have to buy it, because you never see and Imperial Togrutas. (Ashara doesn't count) I would also add another spieces that would be empire aligned and they would get it for free and Republic people would have to pay for it. But the Imperial species, like Togrutas, would have to very customizable and be able to speak Basic and wear all clothes, even if headgear would not look perfect or just not show up. Any suggestions for the Imperila spieces?