Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What happened to SWTOR? Some insight by Jeff Nyman (game tester)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
What happened to SWTOR? Some insight by Jeff Nyman (game tester)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.17.2019 , 02:56 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
The Kotaku article did have the feel though of trying to go after BioWare. Jeff's blog really has a lot about a lot going on it and the BioWare section was very matter-of-fact without any sort of the hand-wringing or blame game or pointing fingers.

Between the two, Jeff's blog just feels more objective.
Yes, but I will take first hand experience from a disgruntled employee over.... whatever Nyman's blog post is. Conjecture? He said she said?

At least with an ex-employee you know where they stand -- and you know their perspective will be skewed as such.
-Beruhl (ง︡'-'︠)ง

8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want can i borrow a stim?
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
10.24.2019 , 07:47 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Yes, but I will take first hand experience from a disgruntled employee over.... whatever Nyman's blog post is. Conjecture? He said she said?

At least with an ex-employee you know where they stand -- and you know their perspective will be skewed as such.
You have to be careful here. Musco only said that nyman was not ever a BioWare employee.

Technically speaking, when game companies contract out beta testers to test their games, those people although they are testing a game for that company are not employees of that company.

So what Eric said could still hold true, even with Nyman having first-hand knowledge.

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
10.24.2019 , 08:04 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
You have to be careful here. Musco only said that nyman was not ever a BioWare employee.

Technically speaking, when game companies contract out beta testers to test their games, those people although they are testing a game for that company are not employees of that company.

So what Eric said could still hold true, even with Nyman having first-hand knowledge.
And until there's actual proof, Nyman's post is hearsay.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
10.24.2019 , 08:26 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
And until there's actual proof, Nyman's post is hearsay.
As is the Kotaku article

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.26.2019 , 04:55 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
You have to be careful here. Musco only said that nyman was not ever a BioWare employee.

Technically speaking, when game companies contract out beta testers to test their games, those people although they are testing a game for that company are not employees of that company.

So what Eric said could still hold true, even with Nyman having first-hand knowledge.
Yeah, Nyman was not an employee, but the anonymous guy in the Kotaku article was an employee. That's why I don't understand why everyone loves Nyman's blog. He's literally just making **** up.
-Beruhl (ง︡'-'︠)ง

8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want can i borrow a stim?
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
10.27.2019 , 06:13 PM | #86
I think the 3.0 route was the right way to go, some story quests+new MMO content.
http://www.swtor.com/r/5trH8B

My Referral Code.

BlueSparten's Avatar


BlueSparten
10.29.2019 , 05:36 PM | #87
Every thing in life is temporary, having almost died three times has taught me this.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
03.04.2020 , 07:34 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I think the 3.0 route was the right way to go, some story quests+new MMO content.
They need to do some cleaning up though. There are so many loose ends now they couldn't just create content and plop it into the game at this point.

They still need to make crafting an actual working part of the game right now it's garbage. Otherwise I'd agree.
BIOWARE
Players quit WZs they do not enjoy. You are losing PVPers.
Give players a choice of WZs, enough is enough (Huttball) already!

Good job increasing rewards for PVP! It was much needed, thank you.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
07.30.2020 , 03:01 PM | #89
Hey Jeff, hope you are well! Bumping this because someone asked about Jeff Nyman, so maybe some new readers can check out what he had to say.
BIOWARE
Players quit WZs they do not enjoy. You are losing PVPers.
Give players a choice of WZs, enough is enough (Huttball) already!

Good job increasing rewards for PVP! It was much needed, thank you.

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
08.05.2020 , 11:22 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Hey Jeff, hope you are well! Bumping this because someone asked about Jeff Nyman, so maybe some new readers can check out what he had to say.
I think this is super important, especially with the influx of players oh, they have a history lesson and understand why the game was the way it was before Keith took over.

I also want to remind everyone that just because Eric Musco said that Jeff nyman was never a BioWare employee, that does not mean he never worked on the game as a game tester. If we're going by the strictest legal sense, Jeff is someone who contracts out his services, therefore he is either employed to himself or if he was part of a contracting agency he was an employee of that agency. However companies like BioWare will sub contract people to come work on various aspects of their games in short-term time periods. So it's entirely possible that Jeff, not as a BioWare employee but as an employee of his contracting company or himself if he were representing himself, worked on the game.

given that he is in that industry it is also possible he knew people who worked on the game and is relaying their input.

The bottom line is that while the history lesson is interesting and puts a lot of pieces together for us veterans, the key takeaway is that until otherwise stated, BioWare philosophically has zero interest in player retention which is why the game has suffered the most. It's actually their business philosophy to have people leave and come back when stuff is done, thus taking the pressure off of them to put out content that keeps people engaged and continuing to subscribe.

Now maybe it's just been a slow ship to get turned around since Keith took over, as the return to continuity with a vanilla story is a really big deal which happened when Keith took over, and none of us thought this game would ever be on steam. So there could be a lot of ground work being done to change this business philosophy. and because of the current resources it could be that this is just happening at a glacially slow pace, but it still is happening. Speculation on my part as time will tell but it's not rocket science to see what's been done and the potential for what it could mean.

Just wanted to put all of that out there. For as screwed up as things have been, there have been some signs that this is getting turned around. Not just from within the game yes, but also with EA's public statements of recommitment to the game..

They just need to figure out how to change the culture and develop content that encourages player retention. If they can solve that and be willing to commit to it, this game could blow up really big.