Accuracy for PVP Overview

lavatsunami

Hi all,

Just wanted to post some information here about accuracy and pvp, since I see the question asked a lot.

Four main types of attacks (you can see what type of attack you're using by looking at the tooltip):

Force: (shock, force lightning, force scream, etc)

Tech: (thermal detonator, corrosive dart, etc)

Ranged: (snipe, rail shot)

Melee: (ravage, vicious throw)

Two categories of above attacks:

Non special: (rapid shots, rifle shot, assault, saber strike)

Special attacks: (anything not mentioned in the line above)

Base accuracy given:

As of right now, you are given 100% accuracy (+1% with companion bonus), for all of those types of damage. Previously, this 100% did not include non special attacks. However, 100% accuracy is now given to all types of attacks, special and non special.

Four main types of defense:

Ranged: (dodge/parry ranged attacks)

Melee: (dodge/parry melee attacks)

Force: (resist force attacks)

Tech: (resist tech attacks)

Base defense given by class/spec (ranged and melee defense only):

Each class/spec is given a base defense chance. This base defense chance is for ranged and melee attacks only (excluding sith assassin tank). Force and tech resist chance for all classes/specs is 0%. (excluding sith assassin tank):

Disclaimer: These numbers do not include defense chance gained from a proc, utility point or cooldown. There are many out there and I may make another thread covering them, or an addendum.

Mercenary:

Bodyguard: 5%

Arsenal: 5%

InnovativeOrdnance: 5%

Powertech:

Shield Tech: 9%

Pyrotech: 5%

AdvancedPrototype: 8%

Operative:

Medicine: 5%

Concealment: 7%

Lethality: 5%

Sniper:

Marksman: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)

Engineering: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)

Virulence: 5%, 25% (ranged only, while in cover)

Sith Assassin:

Darkness: 16% (ranged/melee), 2% (force/tech)

Deception: 10%

Hatred: 10%

Sith Sorcerer:

Corruption: 10%

Lightning: 10%

Madness: 10%

Juggernaut:

Immortal: 8%

Vengeance: 5%

Rage: 5%

Marauder:

Annihilation: 5%

Carnage: 5%

Fury: 5%

What accuracy does for you:

Your accuracy stat gives you a % chance to overcome a class/spec's defense chance. If you have 105% accuracy and you are hitting a class/spec with 5% ranged/melee defense chance, then your ranged and melee attacks cannot be defended by anything other than a defensive cooldown.

What to consider when thinking about accuracy:

1) Does your class/spec use a lot of ranged/melee attacks? (you can find this out by looking at the tooltips for the spells you use)

If so, you may want to go with accuracy. However, see below.

2) How much accuracy?

Going 105% will cover you for 11/24 class/specs which isn't very efficient. Going 110% will cover you for all (except sniper in cover (ranged only) and sith assassin tank), which is also somewhat inefficient because of the stats you're losing to gain accuracy, not to mention that it only covers you for base defense chance. There are a ton of defensive cooldowns that render 110% accuracy useless.

3) Do I want to go accuracy at all?

Some people are happy to take no accuracy whatsoever, stay at 101% accuracy (with companion bonus). This is because (and others have done research) that most misses are due to a target using a defensive cooldown, as opposed to base defense.

Conclusions:

My personal approach: I don't take accuracy on any class/spec regardless of what they use. This is because there is simply too much base defense along with defensive cooldowns flying around to justify the stat loss from trying to get a decent amount of accuracy.

Updates:

Please feel free to comment on any mistakes that were made, any extra information you may have, or any personal opinions or testing you've done that I can add to this. If we can get a good consensus on the information in this thread, I'd like to get it stickied. Thanks all.

Edited by lavatsunami

That looks right to me. I think that BW should have written up something like this and stickied it a long time ago. I think that there has been a lot of bogus information on accuracy perpetuated by people (perhaps even me...) who heard it from somebody else who thought that they knew how it worked, but really didn't. The internet is great at spreading information...just much of it is mis-information.

So anyway, having a stickied thread on this would be great. Thanks for your efforts!

Edited by teclado

That looks right to me. I think that BW should have written up something like this and stickied it a long time ago. I think that there has been a lot of bogus information on accuracy perpetuated by people (perhaps even me...) who heard it from somebody else who thought that they knew how it worked, but really didn't. The internet is great at spreading information...just much of it is mis-information.

So anyway, having a stickied thread on this would be great. Thanks for your efforts!

Thanks for the feedback :) Does anyone know how to get something stickied? i haven't tried to do it before.

Edited by lavatsunami

Pt tank has 9% base defense.

Immortal jugg has 8% base defense and retaliation gives you 5% defense against all damage with an 100% uptime easily attainable ( 6s cd with 10s buff duration).

Correct. I incorrectly added 4% to 10% instead of 4% to 5%. Will change. I don't see the talent for immortal jugg that gives 3% defense chance (I'm using dulfy calculator atm). I did look through all the procs, etc (there are quite a few including one for fury marauder that gives 10% defense chance on basically a 66% uptime), but decided not to put those in. I may make another thread with all defensive procs and cooldowns. Thanks for the heads up.

Put a disclaimer in, but I may add another section to this thread that shows defensive procs and cooldowns.

Edited by lavatsunami

Actually, the 3% bonus defense comes from the soresu form. You can see it by switching soresu on and off.

I looked in to this and the tooltip does not state a 3% increase, nor did switching give it to me (lvl 18 jugg). Can anyone else confirm the 3% increase?

Edited by lavatsunami

I looked it up and it's a passive skill called "single blade mastery" or something like that. I don't know when you can train it.

It gives the following bonus :

Shii-cho : 3% on force damage.

Shien : 3% on melee damage.

Soresu : 3% defense + 15% more threat on certain abilities.

and a general bonus of 20% weapon damage.

I looked it up and it's a passive skill called "single blade mastery" or something like that. I don't know when you can train it.

It gives the following bonus :

Shii-cho : 3% on force damage.

Shien : 3% on melee damage.

Soresu : 3% defense + 15% more threat on certain abilities.

and a general bonus of 20% weapon damage.

Yep, you're correct, I just found the tooltip for it. I will add that in, tyvm :) I'm going to do a sweep to make sure I didn't miss any learned passives.

Edited by lavatsunami

1st all, marauder carnage have a 11% melee defence chanse (6% stacking)

2nd furous defence in Fury discipline of marauder +10% defence/resist for 6 sec

3rd snipers have a utility that reduce target accuracy by 20% after the flash bang end, 20% while leaving cover + 45% diversion

4 sorc have a utility that reduce target accuracy by 20% 8 sec after the force lift end

5 PT AP/Commando assault have a + 35% defence chanse for 6 sec ability

Plus, in arenas, with tank in enemy team your accuracy reduced by 5% all of the time

So, good luck to play without accuracy. Stack alacrity, after that u can miss faster ;)

Edited by Mega_Fallos

1st all, marauder carnage have a 11% melee defence chanse (6% stacking)

2nd furous defence in Fury discipline of marauder +10% defence/resist for 6 sec

3rd snipers have a utility that reduce target accuracy by 20% after the flash bang end, 20% while leaving cover + 45% diversion

4 sorc have a utility that reduce target accuracy by 20% 8 sec after the force lift end

5 PT AP/Commando assault have a + 35% defence chanse for 6 sec ability

Plus, in arenas, with tank in enemy team your accuracy reduced by 5% all of the time

So, good luck to play without accuracy. Stack alacrity, after that u can miss faster ;)

There's a huge bolded in yellow section that states the accuracies listed do not include procs, utilities or cooldowns.

Also, those numbers you listed are extremely high (from the defensive cooldowns). Having 5% accuracy on a target with a 35% defense chance, isn't much different than having 1%. I already stated this, but if you missed the huge yellow bolded section, I'm guessing it would be easy for you to miss that as well.

Edited by lavatsunami

The tldr: if 5% accuracy helps you, that's because you're lucky.

There are too many debuffs from enemies (tanks especially) and defensive cooldowns to justify using accuracy. Especially with the limited stat budget compares to pve full 224 gear.

Crit up to 1350-1400

Alacrity if needed (for any class channeling things, mara sniper sorc merc)

Then stack power

Accuracy only affects "white" damage.

Most classes have a 5% defense against it, Sorcs have 10%.

Anything over 105% is a waste.

Actually, this just happens to be true, but elemental, kinetic, energy, and internal are damage types, not attack types. You could have a ranged attack that did elemental damage (although there are none).

To answer your question, the damage types refer to whether or not they are mitigated by armor.

Internal and elemental are not mitigated by armor, but kinetic and energy damage is.

Also, anything over 105% is not a waste, depending on what spec you are. This isn't an opinion thread, if you have some facts or data to disprove what I've posted, then share it please. Random comments don't help.

Edited by lavatsunami

Actually, this just happens to be true, but elemental, kinetic, energy, and internal are damage types, not attack types. You could have a ranged attack that did elemental damage (although there are none).

To answer your question, the damage types refer to whether or not they are mitigated by armor.

Internal and elemental are not mitigated by armor, but kinetic and energy damage is.

Also, anything over 105% is not a waste, depending on what spec you are. This isn't an opinion thread, if you have some facts or data to disprove what I've posted, then share it please. Random comments don't help.

Going over 105% uses up slots that could be filled with power/crit/alacrity.

Since very few specs use physical attacks in their rotation it's unwise to over commit to accuracy when you could use a more useful stat instead to do more damage.

105% just about covers the bare minimum needed to make sure your physical strike hits.

Going over 105% uses up slots that could be filled with power/crit/alacrity.

Since very few specs use physical attacks in their rotation it's unwise to over commit to accuracy when you could use a more useful stat instead to do more damage.

105% just about covers the bare minimum needed to make sure your physical strike hits.

I see you didn't take the time to read what I wrote. 105% accuracy will cover you for 11 out of 24 class/specs. 11. 13 of them have higher than 5% defense chance.

I see you didn't take the time to read what I wrote. 105% accuracy will cover you for 11 out of 24 class/specs. 11. 13 of them have higher than 5% defense chance.

I did read, it's still nonsensical to overcommit.

A lot of classes can also put a debuff on you that lowers accuracy.

It's better to commit to other stats.

I did read, it's still nonsensical to overcommit.

A lot of classes can also put a debuff on you that lowers accuracy.

It's better to commit to other stats.

Like I wrote, either go 110% or nothing. 105% doesn't really help you that much. On top of that, my list does not include any defensive cooldowns, in which 105% is basically useless. And, in my opinion (which i also wrote) even going 110% can be pointless because most misses are from defensive cooldowns.

Edited by lavatsunami

Like I wrote, either go 110% or nothing. 105% doesn't really help you that much. On top of that, my list does not include any defensive cooldowns, in which 105% is basically useless. And, in my opinion (which i also wrote) even going 110% can be pointless because most misses are from defensive cooldowns.

Any DCD would make 110% pretty useless.

Didn't see the edit.

If it works for you then go for it, I just don't see the point in sacrificing power,crit , or alacrity for accuracy.

Edited by Ruhun