Concerns About Players Being Suspended

EricMusco

I just remembered i also spent a good hour or two extra before 2.0 came out using up my left over tionesse comms to get things like boots and gloves. I was planning on sending the mods out of those for my alt's companions. So hopefully the explanation will also include no changes to how the old legacy items worked.

Glad the two posters above got an apology , let's just wait and see what has/is going to happen to both systems *fingers crossed*.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally. Gawd.

I was another one of those persons suspended--the reversal was done a couple hours ago, but I only just now had the 'permanent' forum ban lifted off my account.

I'll note, for those speculating, that there was no explanation given as to why we were suspended in the first place. Not that it surprises me terribly--I believe the fact that they crack down on even discussing exploits on the official forums means they don't want any way to possibly hint at exploits they've identified, and telling us what we were erroneously suspended for would be a clue.

The three free days is nice, but it hasn't washed the bad taste out of my mouth as to how this was handled. They could've issued a warning first. The fact that you can't talk to a real person about it drove me crazy, especially after I sat on hold for an hour yesterday only to find out appeals can only be done via an email address that had no auto-receipt message and therefore no idea how long it would take to process. The URL we were pointed to for the 'reason' for our ban had zero language relating in an effort to find out what we did wrong.

And without that information: how are we to know that we don't accidentally trip it again?

Ironically, I'd redeemed a new time card just a couple hours before I was suspended. But given how this has been handled in the last 24 hours, I'm not sure if I'm going to continue to be a paid sub after those two months are up.

Edited by AlixMV

Well they sent an apology and three days of free game time so Bioware seems to think so. :mon_angel:

In fairness to you AND ratajack -- the apologies + 3 days DOES NOT equal them saying this is OK.

We have NO confirmation of why these peoples accounts were flagged. The only thing we know, is that at least one person has said they didn't touch anything legacy + collections, but were still flagged.

I'm hoping that we may still get an update today -- seeing as how more people are having their accounts unlocked. But, maybe not. We will all have to wait and see what really happened.

Well, the handful of reversals posted here proves the appeal process works. And they when they make a mistake they appologize and compensate with some free time. But still, no idea what specifically they were actioned for in the first place.

Going to have to wait for a gold post at this point to get some clarity.. as I think we have collectively flogged the topic like it's the only dead horse on the planet.

Edited by Andryah

I honesty feel sorry for some of the folks in here, that are so filled with cynicism, they couldn't give players any benefit of the doubt. Surely they ALL had to be exploiters and cheats, after all BW never makes a mistake.

Pathetic. After all this time, you think you'd learn to have a little compassion and trust in your fellow player. Sure, there will always be bad apples, but when something happens, of this scope and breadth, encompassing so many players, maybe you should take a step back and give your fellow man/woman the benefit of doubt before siding with a company that has a track record of making mistakes.

I honesty feel sorry for some of the folks in here, that are so filled with cynicism, they couldn't give players any benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, well that works both ways... there has been a clear absence of any understanding about the core issue and Bioware's rights as the developer as well by some posters. Plenty of cynicism, heresay, and opinion on all sides of the discussion IMO.

Rather then stick your thumb further into peoples eyes for it.. maybe we all just step back a bit and wait for a gold post of clarity.

Edited by Andryah

I'm hoping that we may still get an update today -- seeing as how more people are having their accounts unlocked. But, maybe not. We will all have to wait and see what really happened.

We probably won't get an explanation for this. Ever.

The accounts that were suspended were done so for a violation of the Terms of Service. It had something to do with 'Economy Exploitation'. The three instances of the word 'exploit' in the ToS we were pointed to are:

- Promote, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or virtual currency/items.

- Use and communicate exploits and/or cheats.

- Abuse or exploit bugs, undocumented features, design errors or problems in the game.

If they explain why it was we were suspended, it would probably be communicating whatever exploit they were trying to punish.

Only way I could see them saying anything about the particulars is only AFTER they shut it down in a patch.

Biowares current practice of not (sufficiently) informing the players on the TOS breach is against EU laws.

As stated in chapter 7 of the Code of EU online rights 2012. The consumers have a right to know in clear and plain language, what the terms are.

If in fact a paid service is being denied without a clear breach of the TOS and no restitution is being offered, Bioware is going against other laws.

As stated in chapter 8 of the Code of EU online rights 2012. Ie. Bait and Switch.

Hope that this realization that they are liable to claims, makes them step up and explain clearly what it is we are doing wrong according to the TOS.

Likewise, it's a violation of Oklahoma law. And Oklahoma doesn't give a crap that you're based in TX or CA if you operate in OK--they will enforce OK state law on any company that operates in OK state, even if that operation is via the internet.

Yeah, well that works both ways... there has been a clear absence of any understanding about the core issue and Bioware's rights as the developer as well by some posters. Plenty of cynicism, heresay, and opinion on all sides of the discussion IMO.

Rather then stick your thumb further into peoples eyes for it.. maybe we all just step back a bit and wait for a gold post of clarity.

Wait for another post and how long are we supposed to just wait quietly while they hope this goes away? They have made a mistake, are refusing to admit said mistake, and are deleting the valid questions people are asking,

Seriously, how long does it take to come up with an explanation for 'economy exploitation?'

If you see paying as an OPTION after all the information that BW put out prior to 2.1 being implemented and the patch notes, then I don't know what to tell you. Paying for an account wide unlock was the ENTIRE point of the collections interface and you chose to attempt to bypass that.

Now you claim that your sentinel had a bound white crystal when the dupes were received by him? I wish the earlier thread had not been deleted so I could quote you. In the deleted thread you initially claimed the same thing, that the character who had received the dupes could have made their own dupes, but then later changed that to admit that the character who received the dupes had only "handled" or "equipped" the crystal prior to 2.1 but prior to 2,.1 had sent the bound crystal to the character who created the dupes. If your sentinel who received the dupes did not have a white crystal equipped, which should have unlocked the crystal in his collection, then how could you have used the sentinel to created dupes? Especially when creating the dupes on the character who ultimately received them would have saved you thousands in the cost to remove the crystal from the legacy weapon.

Yo, Flamewars, chill out. You can't circumvent the collections system this way because legacy weapons are bind to LEGACY not bind to account. So you would still need the collections to make them accessible account-wide. Which is the point of the collections system. You can go back to clubbing baby seals and JO-ing now.

Wait for another post and how long are we supposed to just wait quietly while they hope this goes away? They have made a mistake, are refusing to admit said mistake, and are deleting the valid questions people are asking,

Seriously, how long does it take to come up with an explanation for 'economy exploitation?'

The community constantly burns them on every little word they type. I wouldn't be surprised if even the question of the day posts are vetted before posting by now.

Likewise, it's a violation of Oklahoma law. And Oklahoma doesn't give a crap that you're based in TX or CA if you operate in OK--they will enforce OK state law on any company that operates in OK state, even if that operation is via the internet.

I'd love to see your proof. Everything I've ever seen in laws shows that they have done NOTHING that is against ANY law.

But, I don't know everything, obviously, so please point me in the right direction if you are so sure this is against the law. The other poster never responded to the question.

• Dev Post

Your reports have been fully investigated and I wanted to pass on what we discovered, and what happened as a result. As some of you are aware there were some exploits which were introduced with Game Update 2.1 around Color Crystals and Collections. These exploits were fixed with Update 2.1.0b. We take exploits in our game very seriously and we had been working to action players who had used those exploits. Yesterday was our Terms of Service team doing exactly that.

What occurred, and what you folks reported, is that there was a small subset of players who were incorrectly caught in this tracking and subsequently actioned. Just to give you a bit of perspective, there were less than 150 people in total who were incorrectly actioned as a part of what happened yesterday. If you were one of those players who had not been exploiting and were wrongly flagged, you should have already been contacted by CS as of reading this message. If this is what occurred to you I cannot express how sorry we are. We are going through great lengths internally to avoid situations like this happening in the future.

If you have not had your suspension reversed and you feel this was in error, please contact swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com and they will be able to look into the issue further. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, again if you were affected you should have already been contacted and if not please email the address listed above.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Thank you Eric. This was the feeling I had. Your comment in the matter is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, in the future, accounts are more thoroughly investigated before action is taken. Technology is great, but I think we can see here what happens when there isn't human input into the process.

For the sake of clarification, is it an exploit in your eyes, to dupe crystals and send them to alts via legacy gear?

This feature wasn't patched and it's still possible to do this.

I think we all want to know the answer to this.

Edited by Samoth_Nomad

Your reports have been fully investigated and I wanted to pass on what we discovered, and what happened as a result. As some of you are aware there were some exploits which were introduced with Game Update 2.1 around Color Crystals and Collections. These exploits were fixed with Update 2.1.0b. We take exploits in our game very seriously and we had been working to action players who had used those exploits. Yesterday was our Terms of Service team doing exactly that.

What occurred, and what you folks reported, is that there was a small subset of players who were incorrectly caught in this tracking and subsequently actioned. Just to give you a bit of perspective, there were less than 150 people in total who were incorrectly actioned as a part of what happened yesterday. If you were one of those players who had not been exploiting and were wrongly flagged, you should have already been contacted by CS as of reading this message. If this is what occurred to you I cannot express how sorry we are. We are going through great lengths internally to avoid situations like this happening in the future.

If you have not had your suspension reversed and you feel this was in error, please contact accountdisputes@swtor.com and they will be able to look into the issue further. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, again if you were affected you should have already been contacted and if not please email the address listed above.

-eric

So does that mean its ok to legacy transfer crystals to unlock in collections?

For the sake of clarification, is it an exploit in your eyes, to dupe crystals and send them to alts via legacy gear?

This feature wasn't patched and it's still possible to do this.

I think we all want to know the answer to this.

I agree. This needs to be answered, to remove any doubt or ambiguity.

If you have not had your suspension reversed and you feel this was in error, please contact accountdisputes@swtor.com and they will be able to look into the issue further. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, again if you were affected you should have already been contacted and if not please email the address listed above.

-eric

I stand corrected. Thanks for the explanation and the clarification, sir.

Thank you for the response, Eric. I know my friend is back in the game and happy. However, I would like a little more clarification about what the exploit actually was, and what was mistaken for an exploit, so we can avoid this possibly happening again.

-eric

And you compensated the players who were affected, right? RIGHT? please tell me you did more than say "oops."

ALSO, you say that there were less than 150 players who were affected, how many people exactly were suspended? because if 200 people were suspended, and 150 were wrongly suspended, um...

Edited by schmel

That's what it sounded like. He said they fixed the exploit already so that must be working as intended.

Thats how i read it, but given todays 'interesting events' I just want a bit of clarifications before I go duping crazy.