Concealment / Scrapper Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Concealment and Scrapper Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

Set-bonus of Tactical Item ideas:

• Backstab no longer has a positional requirement, however like Maul (Deception Assassin) it does less damage when not used from behind.
  • The Revealing Weakness passive now gives a buff that allows your next backstab against any target to have no positional requirement and treated as though you attacked from stealth.

Edited by LeeThorogood

Backstab no longer has a positional requirement, however like Maul (Deception Assassin) it does less damage when not used from behind.

Agree with removing positional requirement of back blast.

i see you've both talked about positional requirements for backstab. here is a small problem with that (although this is mostly PvP related)

due to things such as de-sync and lag etc, it is already possible to appear to be standing in front of someone or just off the side and use backstab. now this is fine as the game thinks you are behind(though you really aren't) and you do the damage.

Now however , with the proposed change, i can backstab whenever i want, but how do i know i'm actually behind the target and getting the full damage? this is a problem i always had with maul as it always felt like i was throwing damage away as i was never truly knew if i was behind the target.

Edited by benmas

i see you've both talked about positional requirements for backstab. here is a small problem with that (although this is mostly PvP related)

due to things such as de-sync and lag etc, it is already possible to appear to be standing in front of someone or just off the side and use backstab. now this is fine as the game thinks you are behind(though you really aren't) and you do the damage.

Now however , with the proposed change, i can backstab whenever i want, but how do i know i'm actually behind the target and getting the full damage? this is a problem i always had with maul as it always felt like i was throwing damage away as i was never truly knew if i was behind the target.

I would suggest the solution to that small problem is a simple one, use a different Tactical Item / Set-bonus for PvP if de-sync and lag causing a minor loss of DPS is so critical.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't use the positional Tac item in pvp. It's very easy to get behind a player for that extra damage.

In PVE though, the positional requirement of Backblast is a pain in the arse, particularly since Backblast comes off cooldown more quickly than Blood Broiler. Additionally, Backblast deals very high damage for little energy.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Operatives in general should be given an ability that allows them to clone themselves as a tacticul item. This ability would work just like Vitiate ability in the Jedi knight story during the fight with the emperor.

1. Revealing Weakness debuff from Volatile Substance to become a buff so it could be used on any target.

1. Hot and Ready debuff from Blood Boiler to become a buff so it could be used on any target.

2. Crippling Shards: When Crippling Slice is used on a target, it releases shards on the vicinity, making other targets suffer the same effect.

2. Loose Slugs: When Shank Shot is used on a target, slugs bounce back on the vicinity, making other targets suffer the same effect.

3. Crippling Slice changed the not able to turn line into allowing to use Backstab from front, as well, for full damage.

3. Shank Shot changed the not able to turn line into allowing to use Back Blast from front, as well, for full damage.

4. Acid Haze: Toxic Haze now spreads Acid Blade effect up to 8 targets.

4. Dirty Bushwhack: Bushwhack now spreads Flechette Round effect up to 8 targets.

5. Silent Steps: Player can now have up to 3 Exfiltrates but cooldown is increased to 15 seconds.

5. Going Down: Player can now have up to 3 Scampers but cooldown is increased to 15 seconds.

6. A tactical item which makes the next Laceration have 50% more damage when used after Veiled Strike.

6. A tactical item which makes the next Sucker Punch have 50% more damage when used after Bludgeon.

7. Backstab will grant Enforcer's Critical Combo, making your next Laceration deal double the damage.

7. Back blast will grant Smuggler's Critical Combo, making your next Sucker Punch deal double the damage.

8. Elite Strategy: When applying Volatile Substance, the target is hindered for 1.5 seconds. In addition, when Volatile Substance is triggered, target is slowed down by 40%, for 3 seconds.

8. Surprise Element: When applying Blood Boiler, the target is hindered for 1.5 seconds. In addition, when Blood Boiler is triggered, target is slowed down by 40%, for 3 seconds.

9. Backstab refreshes Kolto Probe on self if 2 stacks are present.

9. Back Blast refreshes Slow-release Medpac on self if 2 stacks are present.

10. Veiled Strike makes your next Laceration have 100% critical chance. Cannot occur more than once every 9 seconds.

10. Bludgeon makes your next Sucker Punch have 100% critical chance. Cannot occur more than once every 9 seconds.

Suggestions from me and friend, Slimshady.

Edited by memerobot

6. A tactical item which makes the next Laceration have 50% more critical chance when used after Veiled Strike.

10. Veiled strike makes your next Laceration have 100% critical chance. Cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds.

Umm that is basically the same thing except one is a lot better.

Edited by Spasi

Umm that is basically the same thing except one is a lot better.

I told him the same but the intention was to make it less RNG, I believe :rolleyes:

I've changed in the way I think would be better suited. Also added republic sides

Edited by memerobot

First, thank you for asking for our input and let me say how excited I am at the prospect of customizing our classes more than ever before! I main an Operative exclusively, am proficient in all its disciplines, and have completed all my best achievements with this class (Revanchist, HM Coratanni, NiM Dread Council, etc.) along with regularly playing Ranked/Unranked PVP, Flashpoints, Uprisings, Events, etc.

Along with post here I've also shared my thoughts in the other Operative Set Bonus & Tactical Items discipline threads. I've made suggestions based on my experience with this class and with both PVE/PVP in mind. I've started by listing the challenges that I face with each discipline as a guiding factor for my suggestions but I also targeted abilities that I don't often use. Thank you for reading!

Discipline Challenges: AOE, Melee (position/movement/range), Energy

Concealment:

[set Bonus] The energy cost of Veiled Strike is reduced.

[Tactical] Toxic Haze now spreads (and activates) Volatile Substance (so long as one target has Volatile Substance).

[Tactical] Backstab can now be used face-to-face.

All Disciplines:

[set Bonus] Increases the max stack limit of Tactical Advantage by 1 (stacks with other increases).

[Tactical] Countermeasures now increases movement speed by 50% (stacks with other movement boosts).

[Tactical] Adrenaline Probe's cooldown is reduced.

[Tactical] Stim Boost now additionally restores x energy over the duration.

[Tactical] Using Kolto Probe now automatically applies 2 stacks of Kolto Probe.

[Tactical] Revive (General ability) cannot be interrupted for 10 seconds after exiting Stealth.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now applies a Damage Over Time effect and reduces the target's healing received.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now places all of the target's abilities on cooldown for 1 GCD (except abilities not on the GCD) but has an increased energy cost (similar to the Uppercut unarmed combat legacy ability).

[Tactical] Infiltration can now be used in combat and out of stealth and provides a damage reduction bonus to all group members within 10 meters.

I don't think you played Concealment long enough or you haven't played it?

Related to offensive abilities

Discipline Challenges: AOE, Melee (position/movement/range), Energy

Concealment:

[set Bonus] The energy cost of Veiled Strike is reduced.

[Tactical] Toxic Haze now spreads (and activates) Volatile Substance (so long as one target has Volatile Substance).

[Tactical] Backstab can now be used face-to-face.

1: I guess the change of energy can go there although what does it accomplish?

2: I don't think spreading Volatile substance is a good idea honestly. Sure it would be great but I believe its a bit too much? Maybe spread the dot from Backstab/Back Blast?

3: You already can do that when you pop Volatile.

[Tactical] Countermeasures now increases movement speed by 50% (stacks with other movement boosts).

[Tactical] Adrenaline Probe's cooldown is reduced.

[Tactical] Stim Boost now additionally restores x energy over the duration.

[Tactical] Using Kolto Probe now automatically applies 2 stacks of Kolto Probe.

[Tactical] Revive (General ability) cannot be interrupted for 10 seconds after exiting Stealth.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now applies a Damage Over Time effect and reduces the target's healing received.

[Tactical] Overload Shot now places all of the target's abilities on cooldown for 1 GCD (except abilities not on the GCD) but has an increased energy cost (similar to the Uppercut unarmed combat legacy ability).

[Tactical] Infiltration can now be used in combat and out of stealth and provides a damage reduction bonus to all group members within 10 meters.

Tactical list:

1: Concealment already has it

2: Lethality perk

3: Lethality perk

4: Utility does that

5: Combat rev is a thing and in PvE. That's why it exists and if you enter in combat again, you shouldn't be able to Revive. Simple. On the PvP side. it is extremely rare revive someone and you can't do it on arenas.

6: Not sure what that would accomplish. In ranked, your tank does that and in regs, its a numberfarm fest.

7: There's an utility that gives knockback and range extension to overload shot. Works the same way.

8: Its a good one.

Edited by memerobot

1. Revealing Weakness debuff from Volatile Substance to become a buff so it could be used on any target.

1. Hot and Ready debuff from Blood Boiler to become a buff so it could be used on any target.

2. Crippling Shards: When Crippling Slice is used on a target, it releases shards on the vicinity, making other targets suffer the same effect.

2. Loose Slugs: When Shank Shot is used on a target, slugs bounce back on the vicinity, making other targets suffer the same effect.

3. Crippling Slice changed the not able to turn line into allowing to use Backstab from front, as well, for full damage.

3. Shank Shot changed the not able to turn line into allowing to use Back Blast from front, as well, for full damage.

4. Acid Haze: Toxic Haze now spreads Acid Blade effect up to 8 targets.

4. Dirty Bushwhack: Bushwhack now spreads Flechette Round effect up to 8 targets.

5. Silent Steps: Player can now have up to 3 Exfiltrates but cooldown is increased to 15 seconds.

5. Going Down: Player can now have up to 3 Scampers but cooldown is increased to 15 seconds.

9. Backstab refreshes Kolto Probe on self if 2 stacks are present.

9. Back Blast refreshes Slow-release Medpac on self if 2 stacks are present.

Suggestions from me and friend, Slimshady.

These ones are my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

CONCEALMENT/SCRAPPER

Tactical Suggestions:

• Volatile Substance explodes dealing poison damage to enemies within 8m over 5s
  • Toxic Haze causes your next 2 lacerations or veiled strikes to hit all targets within your toxic haze for 50% of normal damage. Primary target still takes full damage.
  • Crippling Slice now provides armour debuff
  • Volatile Substance now hits non primary targets within 8m for 70% damage.
  • Collateral Strike now affects all targets within 8m. (Only main target is affected by the automatic critical)

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Culling now causes Collateral Strike to refund 4 energy. (Increased from 2)
  • 4 set - Acid Blade’s duration is now increased by 2 seconds
  • 6 set - Activating Veiled Strike makes your next Volatile Substance to critically hit. This effect can only occur once every minute

Operative (Concealment)

• Acid blade causes all incoming damage to count as internal/elemental damage
  • Buff: NO U - All damage received during evasion is reflected back to target at the end of it’s duration at 150% received
  • Backstab now refreshes the duration of Kolto Probe
  • Holo-Reverse - Holotraverse now pulls the targeted player towards you
  • Holo-Agress - After using Holotraverse all attacks are guaranteed critical hits for 3s
  • Holo-Restore - After using Holotraverse, healing is increased by X % for X s
  • Holo-Stealth - After using Holotraverse, stealth is granted for 3s
  • Holo-Prode - After using Holotraverse 2 stacks of Kolto Probe are applied to the player
  • Holo-Exchange - Swap positions with the player targets by Holotraverse
  • Holo-Protect - Friendly players targeted by Holotraverse gain 20% damage reduction for 3s
  • Holo-Execute - If Holotraverse is used on an enemy player under 30% health all damage is increased by 50% for 3s
  • Holo-Betrayal - All DOT’s applied to the player targeted by Holotraverse spread to any enemies within 8m
  • Roll With It - For 1s after using roll stealth is granted to player, stealth abilities (ie. Hidden Strike) are usable for 2s
  • Roll With It Alt - After using roll stealth abilities (ie Hidden Strike) are usable for 2 s
  • Roll With the Punches - Roll decreases the CD of Backstab by 1s
  • Overload shot knock back now stacks, 1 stack = same distance, 2 stacks = double distance
  • Healing received by any players affected by Acid Blade is shared at 50%
  • Acid Blade reduces guard and heal effectiveness by X %
  • Holotraverse produces a clone of the player that mirrors their abilities at 50% damage
  • If a target dies that has received damage from you, the CD of Holotraverse is reset
  • When a target dies that has received damage from you, your movement speed is increased by X % for X seconds
  • Operatives now have a 1s GCD (scale accordingly)
  • Vanish now allows you to use abilities for 3 seconds without leaving stealth
  • Hidden Strike - Back in the game, seperate CD from backstab
  • Toxic haze steals hp from targets affected by it 3%-5% per tick
  • Abilities that land on any target affected by your toxic haze are guaranteed critical hits
  • Your first ability from stealth is a guaranteed critical hit
  • 30% Critical Multiplier returns for Backstab / Hidden Strike, Volatile Substance and Lacerate
  • MINE - Buff - Steal a random buff from targeted player, buff stacks with existing buffs
  • Corrosive Dart makes every Shiv / Veiled Strike a guaranteed critical attack
  • Infiltrate can now be used out of stealth and in combat granting stealth to all players in a 10m radius for 3s
  • Acid Blade now deals damage instantly rather than over time and still triggers Volatile Substance
  • Not A Doctor - Your healing abilities now cause damage instead
  • Volatile Substance now detonates on damage taken, regardless of type
  • Stable Substance - Volatile Substance hit for 50% damage but also heals the player for that much damage
  • Remote Substance - Volatile Substance now detonates when the same button is pressed again (off GCD)
  • Corrosive Substance - Volatile Substance now deals its damage as a DOT over 6s, all damage done during this window is increased by X %
  • Bouncing Substance - Upon detonation, all DOTs are spread to enemy players in a 8m radius and are guaranteed critical hits
  • Spreading Substance - Upon successful detonation, Volatile Substance is applied to all players in a 8m radius dealing 50% damage
  • Weakening Substance - Upon detonation, targets damage is reduced by 50% for Xs
  • Cleansing Substance - Upon detonation, 2 friendly buffs are removed from target
  • All Style No Substance - Upon detonation, targeted player is buffed with sparkle powder and forced to dance (breaks on damage) for 3s
  • Weapons Of Mass Distraction - If your distract successfully interrupts a cast, it’s CD is reduced by 8s
  • Distract prevents the target from being guarded for 3s
  • Acid Blade now reduces healing received by 20%
  • Infiltration applies 2 stacks of Kolto Probe to all players in its radius
  • Lacerate critical hits now hit enemies within 5m for 40% damage
  • Smoke Haze - Toxic haze replacement - Standing within smoke haze grants 1 TA per 3s and reduces damage by X % 30s CD
  • Smoke Haze Alt - Standing within smoke haze grants stealth for 1s each 3s, stealth abilities are usable during
  • Feign Death - Once below 25% health the Operative may feign death creating a clone with the player death animation, stealth is granted for 3s
  • Corrosive dart critical hits reduce the cooldown of volatile substance by 1.5 secs
  • No Root-O - Triggered by countermeasures - Player runs with his arms behind his back for 10s, immune to slows, movement speed increased by 30%
  • Obnoxious Knives - Knoxious Knives is now a 360 degree attack and roots players for 1s
  • One true spec - All non concealment operatives within a 30m radius are respecced to concealment
  • Sike You Thought - Assassins / Shadows now have phase walk, not usable if within 100m of an operative
  • Give and Take - Heal an enemy target for X k, after X s the heal is converted to damage
  • Even The Odds - For each player attacking you above 1, damage is reduced by X %
  • Odds are Even - For each player attacking you above 1, damage output is increased by X %
  • Overloaded - Overload shot costs double energy and deals double damage
  • Achilles Heel - Sever tendon now deals greatly increased damage to targets under 25% health
  • Flash Gang Bang - Flash Bang is now an AOE rather than targeted
  • Fabulous Bang - Flash Bang causes targets to dance depleting their resources by X% per second for the duration

Edited by snave

B R I N G B A C K H I D D E N S T R I K E

In all seriousness, get rid of that stupid utility for the root on backstab from stealth, bring back the stun. Also, if we're gonna get a new ability, I would love old school concealment hidden strike.

A nice set bonus would be refreshing kolto probe on exfiltrate every 15 seconds.

Just give me back knock down. Return operatives back to glory.

Holy crap, i forgot about that! I loved that that knockdown... then they "fixed" it in a patch shortly after. Sometimes the devs are real Debbie Downers.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Server tendon ranged increased by 30 meters

Fragmentation grenade bounces amongst multiple different enemies

Corrosive dart tracks the enemies, allowing the player to see exactly where their enemy is, even behind cover and walls

Countermeasures increases movement speed to 150% speed

Diagnostic scan cleanses all ccs and hardstuns

Noxious knives increased to 30 meters

Toxic haze has the same effects as diversion

Kolto probe now places 4 probes on you

Exfiltrate grants 1 second of steath

Overload shots knocks the enemy down

stim boost clones the player

taking cover increases dmg resistance/reduction by 100% for 3 seconds

roll crits backtab

countermeasures clones the player

• 2 weeks later...

• Backstab no longer has a positional requirement, however like Maul (Deception Assassin) it does less damage when not used from behind.
  • The Revealing Weakness passive now gives a buff that allows your next backstab against any target to have no positional requirement and treated as though you attacked from stealth.

it's called BACK stab...not ANYWHERE stab

• 2 weeks later...