Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New player to this game, going sniper got some quick questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
New player to this game, going sniper got some quick questions

diqq
03.14.2013 , 04:27 PM | #1
Hey everyone.

Just started to play this game and have some questions.
is enginering the best build for leveling?
is it worth to pick currense instead of gear in quest?
and what is the best skill crew to pick for an sniper?

or can some link a awesome guide there i can read some great fact about the game!.

Kelderek
03.14.2013 , 05:34 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by diqq View Post
Hey everyone.

Just started to play this game and have some questions.
is enginering the best build for leveling?
is it worth to pick currense instead of gear in quest?
and what is the best skill crew to pick for an sniper?

or can some link a awesome guide there i can read some great fact about the game!.
Engineering is a good choice up to about level 30 or so, then MM becomes a better choice, I wouldn't mess with lethality until you get close to 50.

Whether or not you should grab currency as a mission reward depends mostly on whether your character has orange (modifiable) gear. The more orange gear you have, then the currency really shines since you can buy mods, armorings and enhancements cheaply to keep you up to date.

For crafting, I would suggest either Biochem or Cybertech, you can't go wrong with those.

verfallen
03.14.2013 , 06:10 PM | #3
Kelderek answered correctly the commendation and crafting question.

For crafting armstech can be nice as well for leveling (at level purple barrels), but biochem is more useful endgame.

For specs, lethality can be an option at 30, once you get cull.

But I'd suggest marksman for solo leveling. It has very high damage in the first few seconds of a fight, enough to have a strong dead within seconds. Diversion is also nice again stronger enemies since it lowers significantly their accuracy for a decent lenght of time.

Better survivability too.

Getting followthrough at 30 just make the thing even better.

However, once at end game, lethality and lethality/eng hybrid are much better.

BaineOs
03.14.2013 , 06:43 PM | #4
Leveling with Engineering is doable but not the best as it'll only come into it's own when you can put 31 points into it to get plasma probe.

So.....I'd suggest Marksman to lvl 40 then switch to engineering.
Es'carli D'Lakutos
Level 1 - 65, three disciplines, three characters, one video

Kelderek
03.14.2013 , 07:09 PM | #5
I suggest Engineering before 30 simply because of the boosts you get to your AOE abilities which are mainly just frag grenade at that point. While leveling, you come across a ton of NPCs that will be grouped in 3s or 4s and being able to do higher AOE damage makes that nice and fast.

NoTomorrow
03.15.2013 , 04:42 AM | #6
Engineering until you can reach snap shot proc and reactive shot. After that you can switch to MM, or you can wait till you get FT
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Infalliable
03.15.2013 , 06:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
I suggest Engineering before 30 simply because of the boosts you get to your AOE abilities which are mainly just frag grenade at that point. While leveling, you come across a ton of NPCs that will be grouped in 3s or 4s and being able to do higher AOE damage makes that nice and fast.
+1

I really like Engineering for leveling b/c of the frag nade spam. It makes clearing the vast majority of the trash much easier. It's relatively weak on single target damage at the lower levels (esp if explosive probe is on cooldown) but the AOE makes up for it IMO. Something like 2/3 (or more) of the foes you fight while leveling are packs of normals/weaks, which Engineering chews up and explosive probe/cluster bombs works great on the occasional strong you run into.

Marksman is also viable. It's much more single target focused but has some solid defensive skills low in the tree which can offset the lack of a true healing companion. The talents also tend to boost a lot of your skills you use while leveling (snipe, ambush, etc.). In terms of feel, it's much more of a "classic" sniper spec as well.

Lethality is IMO just poor for leveling. Cull takes too much setup and overkills most foes. DOTs tick for too long to be useful on normal trash, which is everywhere. Energy regen is based on crit, which requires a lot of dedication to get it to a high value while leveling. Too many talents buff DOTs or skills you don't have until later, so they don't have a very large effect while leveling. End game PVE, it's a beast of a spec (and my favorite) but it's just not a good leveling spec.

diqq
03.16.2013 , 06:22 AM | #8
Ty all for the great help i really appreciate it