Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Dual Lightsabers? More of a lore question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why Dual Lightsabers? More of a lore question

stormdrakelord
04.09.2013 , 02:53 PM | #11
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jar'Kai

There are distinct advantages to dual wielding, true, butdual wielding has the distinct disadvantage of losing out to regular combat if forced on the defensive. This is because of the simple fact that your weight is split between the blades. Tyranus (Count Dukoo or whatever his name is) denouces the dual wield style for this very reason.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

TalonVII
04.09.2013 , 03:48 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Flintfire View Post
Well, think of it like this. You are facing an opponent stronger than you, then he can force your lightsaber into you if they lock together. Now if you did that with one hand, his blade is locked with yours, you have another one to slice his head off with. Also, being someone who plays ping pong with two paddles, once you get good enough, you don;;t have a weak side that could be exploited.
Incorrect. Read the Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore. Read the book "the two blades" where Drizzt takes on Oobould, the Orc King. Drizzt had two scimitars to Ooboulds 1 great sword.

Try and stop a swing like that with a mere scimitar. Good luck with that.

Same rules apply in lightsaber fighting. who can swing a saber harder, guy holding a saber with 2 hands, or the guy holding it with 1 hand.

Furthermore if in a cinch, you're not going to be able to just 'cut my head off'' at will. Your one handed guard is going to try and overpower my TWO hands? Really now? Are you that physically strong? More than likely, you are not going to be.

More than likely, you are going to require that second blade to somehow hold off my single blade shoving with much greater force from shoving your own blade into your face and chest. otherwise, go right on ahead and try to take my head while i shove you blade into you, burn you with your own saber, you lose all focus and i gut you like a pig then take YOUR head.

Go on, ask any real swordsman who uses two blades or even one. There is literally no way a one handed block with a saber is going to stop a two handed strike in brute force. Just is not going to happen, however good you are.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Bytemite
04.09.2013 , 04:26 PM | #13
My impression is that an advantage that you can gain by suddenly having two sabers is different from the advantages and disadvantages of carrying two lightsabers to begin with. The lore has that force users can sense to some degree what people are going to do, but depending on how much they're paying attention or how quickly you think, they can still be taken by surprise.

Tossing someone a second lightsaber temporarily gives them an advantage... until the opponent adjusts their style to better counter it. Dual wielding a saber staff and a regular saber has some serious disadvantages, and is probably not their normal style. Same story with the movie, dual wielding two single lightsabers was not his normal style. I note that despite the momentary advantage they got dual wielding they also eventually LOST those fights. Take that as you will.