Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SW spoiler : don't read if chapter 3 is not completed :p

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
SW spoiler : don't read if chapter 3 is not completed :p

SithKoriandr
04.07.2013 , 08:18 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
I think the part I liked the least about this was that he seemed to think that he had been in a long and passionate romance with my marauder, when she had only just started the romance arc, and he was still in the "My lord, I couldn't, it would be inneficient!" stage.

I see plenty of chances where companions might have been killed off, and yet Quinn is the only one I see complained about. I'm beginning to wish that they would change it back, simply to shut everyone up about it.
I'd say Skadge is up above Quinn in people wanting dead.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

andyjd
04.07.2013 , 08:27 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
They changed it because people were unhappy that their decision had consequences, namely: oh no, my healer's gone forever now.
That is a pathetic reason to reverse it lol, everyone here knows certain actions have consequences, especially choosing the action "kill Quinn " lol. But I mean the Droid that we have heals so losing Quinn shouldn't matter.

Seireeni
04.07.2013 , 08:46 PM | #13
I wanted to flush Ashara out of the airlock when she mumbled something about how she was so good in the jedi flight simulator and wanted to fly my ship but Andronikos doesn't let her. Ashara, some annoying jedi kid. Me, sith lord in dark V. Andronikos, my husband and my ship's pilot. You think you have my symphaties, jedi?

Anyway, the ship droid isn't that great healer, so I can understand if people didn't realize [kill Quinn] would actually, permanently kill him, they would be annoyed. But hey, you can always roll a pureblood and use that species ability to punch him once every hour or something. I'm sure pretty soon he wishes he was dead. xD

Anyway, with my jugg I just told him to make it up to her, though it was a bit disappointing that he would try to assassinate his own wife...the guy clearly needs a shorter leach. Personally I couldn't kill Quinn even if it was possible. He's too hot to die. xD

Euphrosyne
04.07.2013 , 09:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by andyjd View Post
That is a pathetic reason to reverse it lol, everyone here knows certain actions have consequences, especially choosing the action "kill Quinn " lol. But I mean the Droid that we have heals so losing Quinn shouldn't matter.
Yeah, but the droid blows.

I mean, I agree with you, but I can understand the logic behind what BW did, and I don't really have a problem with it from a game-balance point of view.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

Crawelc
04.07.2013 , 09:37 PM | #15
Yeah as much as I hate him and wish I had a torture mini-game. I have him in full WH and wouldnt like to run without him.
Imprimis
All Imprimis All the time.

andyjd
04.07.2013 , 10:34 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Yeah, but the droid blows.

I mean, I agree with you, but I can understand the logic behind what BW did, and I don't really have a problem with it from a game-balance point of view.
They could buff the droids heal a bit to match Quinn and give him the carbon freezer skill. As of now my SW is my only tion that I have a 50 so I can't really relate to how the other class stories go.

rashencyberspeed
04.07.2013 , 10:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by andyjd View Post
I think the main problem in the beta (in which you COULD kill your companions) was that if you rolled darkside, there was NO WAY WHATSOEVER to take a dark-sided choice and not lose him. People were probably unhappy with having to take lightside points just to keep their companion.

That said, I think I see how they can make it work now. Just remove one of the two light-sided options we currently have and replace it with one where you kill him. That makes it possible for those who don't mind losing him to stay in character, while still allowing those who don't wanna kill him to remain dark-sided.

Spetulhu
04.07.2013 , 11:14 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
There are any number of RP reasons, if only you could use your imagination, here. I decided, in my own Warrior story, that my warrior blamed the actual architect of that incident -- Darth Baras -- and not the non-force-user of a tool he manipulated to use against her.
Aye. My own take on it was that Quinn was between a rock and a hard place and saw no way out except death by your hand. Think about it - he talks about how he's studied your combat style in detail and programmed those droids perfectly against it. And the droids were useless. He planned to die in combat instead of to whatever Darth Baras promised him if he doesn't kill you.

ekimmak
04.07.2013 , 11:39 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Spetulhu View Post
Aye. My own take on it was that Quinn was between a rock and a hard place and saw no way out except death by your hand. Think about it - he talks about how he's studied your combat style in detail and programmed those droids perfectly against it. And the droids were useless. He planned to die in combat instead of to whatever Darth Baras promised him if he doesn't kill you.
I remember that theory from somewhere on the forums. There was also the theory that (agent story spoiler)
Spoiler
which has it's own set of negative implications.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Euphrosyne
04.08.2013 , 12:03 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
That said, I think I see how they can make it work now. Just remove one of the two light-sided options we currently have and replace it with one where you kill him. That makes it possible for those who don't mind losing him to stay in character, while still allowing those who don't wanna kill him to remain dark-sided.
I just wish there were more ways to RP that whole thing in general. As it is, there is an extremely diverse range of potential responses and the coverage we get from the extant ones, even for LS SWs, is inadequate, IMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by Spetulhu View Post
That's...unsatisfying for me.

If he wanted to commit suicide, he could've just, you know, committed suicide. The way it is now, he chooses to fight the SW but then surrenders and continues to fight on his/her side later. That's not a very efficient way to commit suicide. If he felt that he had an obligation to Baras that was incompatible with his responsibilities, duties, and relationships as a member of the SW's crew, then choosing to fail and then surrender cannot in any reasonable sense be regarded as a discharge of that obligation.

And if he thinks that his obligation to a man who specifically told him that his debt had been repaid on Balmorra actually interferes - much less overrides - his responsibility to his current commanding officer and the person who has facilitated his continued success in the Imperial military, then he's got one incredibly messed-up concept of honor, duty, and obligation. Which, admittedly, isn't that unbelievable for an Imperial officer in this Sith Empire, but it does make his character considerably less sympathetic than you probably want to portray.

And then there's the angle of female SWs who've already married him, which is just impossible to explain away in any form that doesn't involve an outrageous amount of mendacity.

I don't think that there's a way for him to come away from the Quinncident without having acted stupidly, inconsistently, hypocritically, or some combination of the above.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"