<Death and Taxes> vs. HM Dread Fortress

I don't understand that reaction. Do you really, honestly want to keep doing TFB and SNV for the best gear? I sure don't.

I understand wanting a challenge but that's not what hard mode is for. I wasn't expecting something that would stretch us to our limits.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The adds for the 50% transition on Brontes seem, to us at least, to be a pretty steep DPS check for hard mode. Would love input from other guilds who have been there on 8 man.

I think the DPS-check on this adds isnt so hard. After this "olol"-lightning-laser is another interesting phase, too. u need a lot of coordination - a pretty good awareness check.

i love this fight, its really exciting (in hardmode). I'm excited to see this in NM in the future

Erm. Do you really want _4_ instances to drop the same tier? We had that with EV/KP, and BioWare clearly learned it was a huge mistake.

Totally agree with Fridge. New tier equals new gear. It also adds more motivation to do it. No fun in going into a new tier already having all the drops.

I think the DPS-check on this adds isnt so hard. After this "olol"-lightning-laser is another interesting phase, too. u need a lot of coordination - a pretty good awareness check.

i love this fight, its really exciting (in hardmode). I'm excited to see this in NM in the future

Might be true, our group did after all not have its normal members and we only saw the phase itself a handful of times and we never had what I'd call a clean transition. We're going back in on Monday at 5:00 central time to give it some more attempts.

I don't understand that reaction. Do you really, honestly want to keep doing TFB and SNV for the best gear? I sure don't.

I understand wanting a challenge but that's not what hard mode is for. I wasn't expecting something that would stretch us to our limits.

You should be challenged to get the best gear. Gear shouldn't be handed to you for showing up and walking through content. I play this game solely for the challenges that some raids bring and nothing else. The next 5-6 months of swtor will be extremely dull and boring for the minority player base who lives for NM/challenging that doesn't allow you to go full retard and still kill bosses. Nearly every boss in the new operation is tank/spank with literally zero mechanics amazingly appealing!!!

On the flip nearly no company designs content for the minority in the gaming world.

Its also a huge kick in the nuts for those of us who have 2-3 toons in almost min/maxed KD gear.

Edited by JDotter

I think you should probably take into consideration how the last real ops content patches have implemented content that only a very small portion of the player base can complete. What was the real benefit to the casual player from NiM TFB or SNV?

Whatever it was, it was less rewarding to them than what hardcores are going to be getting out of these relatively easier ops, I'm sure. I think it's conceited to complain that some content is accessible and rewarding to players less capable than I am, even if some of the rewards are better and more easily acquired than what was previously available.

It may be easier than current nightmare (because it's supposed to be), but at least it's new, and for that reason I'm glad the rewards are better than kell dragon, because otherwise there'd be no reason to run new content instead of old content.

And that would be stupid.

I understand the perspective of playing for the challenge but that argument is entirely separate - you should be pushing for NiM to release at the same time as SM/HM. If you play only for the challenge then gear shouldn't really matter to you.

Its also a huge kick in the nuts for those of us who have 2-3 toons in almost min/maxed KD gear.

"This thing that happens every time a new raid is released is a huge kick in the nuts even though it's the most predictable thing in the world."

A statement like this makes me think this is your first mmo or at least the first one you've raided in with anything approaching seriousness.

Edited by FridgeLM

Good to know, thanks! That's the consensus we came to at the end of the night (having to DPS them down) but we wasted a good 3-4 attempts out of maybe 10 total by Taunting the boss in the middle, which comically makes her turn and fire the laser in your direction but it's still "moving" (invisibly) clockwise. Made us think that was the mechanic but then we clearly kept dying. We were running pug Marauder, pug Sniper in UW/Arkanian, Sniper in UW/KD and KD Marauder so the DPS was far lighter than what we're accustomed to bringing.

We detected a bug there. In, I think 2 trys, Brontes fired the laser on one of our tanks and followed him, but no one died of that. There were no adds and after 30s of laser the fight enter to the next phase. We think this happened when something special happens to the spheres, maybe when the tank get targeted by one of them.

As I said just in 2 attempts we had this kind of bug.

Edited by Heidy

Casual is a weird term, majority of the swtor population can't complete HM S/V & TFB. Most casual players at the first sign of adversity call it a night and are happy with the progress they made. I was one of the few last patch that yelled at all the "progression guilds" that BW can't appease the minority and make content that the majority can't complete until they outgear it by a few gear tiers.

If you feel having new raids to do is fun rather than having fights like pre nerf DG, thrasher, NM EC and encounters like that its fine difference of opinion . I personally could care less about raiding year old content, hell make EC 55 and I'd be in there asap. I don't enjoy walking through three raids in two or so hours like that last HM patch was.

Just like every patch before NM comes out I'll do what is needed to competitive next NM patch and unsub and play something else. We'll never see an entire SM/HM/NM in one patch BW needs to milk what they can and where they can. It'd be almost as useless as the class rep system is to campaign for all difficulty settings at one time.

I don't know why I posted in first place was bored waiting for this Q to pop I suppose.

Conceited is a strong word I'll agree with it however. Strange coming from a DnT player however.

Out of curiosity why did you have silent swap from his op to merc on the dragonslayer run?

Edited by JDotter

Out of curiosity why did you have silent swap from his op to merc on the dragonslayer run?

His main is his Merc. I like having him on his Op for Thrasher because he can deal with Demolitionists the fastest, been doing that since progression but probably not necessary anymore. Old habits die hard I suppose. We don't Diversion them.

If you feel having new raids to do is fun rather than having fights like pre nerf DG, thrasher, NM EC and encounters like that its fine difference of opinion.

I didn't express a preference of one over another, but I recognize that we're not going to get a super challenging ops experience in 2.4 because I know how the content cycle works and don't really have a problem with it. I don't have any data to back it up but my gut feeling is you'd be one of very few people who'd be happy to keep doing old content. I know for a fact that most in DNT, for example, can't stand going into TFB at this point (we're actually letting the lockout rot this week).

Reading pages 5-7 and people talking about gear and difficulty of "Hard Mode" content.

For the more hardcore guilds with people sitting in ~14/15 KD gear on ALTS, definitely the new Hard Mode is going to be easier. But remember only a small part of the population (im guessing) even plays at that level. I for example have ~min maxed alts 2 tiers ago (Underworld) ago but last tier (or this tier rather--KD) i don't even have a SINGLE toon at min maxed level. I now categorize myself as a casual pve player (if i use my gear as an example). And now when this new operation comes out, it WILL be difficult for me (and people with my gear level as well).

Only the really hardcore guilds will have an issue with this New hardmode operation being too easy (basing from this heroics/ops/flashpoints forums... i have more toes and fingers than 8-man NiM guilds constantly killing Styrak (and posting it on the NiM raid parses thread).

The rest of "us" normal folks will still have a hard time with it. :)

ETotally agree with Fridge. New tier equals new gear. It also adds more motivation to do it. No fun in going into a new tier already having all the drops.
I'm looking forward to this lol. If I can get a new tier from this Hard Mode that would be great :) Edited by paowee

Good to know, thanks! That's the consensus we came to at the end of the night (having to DPS them down) but we wasted a good 3-4 attempts out of maybe 10 total by Taunting the boss in the middle, which comically makes her turn and fire the laser in your direction but it's still "moving" (invisibly) clockwise. Made us think that was the mechanic but then we clearly kept dying. We were running pug Marauder, pug Sniper in UW/Arkanian, Sniper in UW/KD and KD Marauder so the DPS was far lighter than what we're accustomed to bringing.

^^^^^^

I was the UW/KD sniper and I'll be the first to admit that I'm still getting a grasp on things (mostly marks lol) as I switched mains. I'd like to think I've got a good handle on lethality but that's obviously not going to be a good option on this fight given the upfront burst required. Had the normal A-Team been on it's going to be totally doable with a clean transition (no orbs, no kephess up) with multiple precasted orbitals :) The DPS check is obviously a very tight one on the c'thun laser phase in HM on the PTS right now so while we're all pretty much fine with the difficulty, an UW geared group is going to have a lot of trouble making that DPS check, so I imagine BW is going to nerf it (even though they could probably leave it as is since you could just farm the other bosses for gear, they've made it pretty clear through the other raids that they want you to be able to down basically everything in the gear you come in with).

Edited by Arenatah

they've made it pretty clear through the other raids that they want you to be able to down basically everything in the gear you come in with).

Gear you come in with = Full UW or KD?

also why is Dom RIP?

Edited by paowee

Gear you come in with = Full UW or KD?

also why is Dom RIP?

I was under the impression that it was tuned for people to be able to clear it in UW. I'm more KD than UW; IMHO if people are in Ark/UW or even full UW they are going to have a tough time making that dps check on c'thun laser phase.

I know in WoW that they don't necessarily expect people to clear everything in one week (or at least that's how it used to be, I haven't played for a while), wheras things in SWTOR seemed to be tuned a bit softer. That it's their design expectation that this be the case is armchair speculation on my part, I admit.

He got perma'd. Muh feels.