Mako and morality.

WorldofKhenzo

How do i please her when it comes to killing people? I read she is fine with it on one site, but then another said she doesn't like bloodshed.

Can some one help?

Also, does my Light/Dark side points affect affection?

Also does some Dark Side choices (like killing someone) give affection?

Thanks.

your alignment does not affect whether or not Mako will romance you. She doesn't have an alignment-tuned romance option like some companions do.

Mako doesn't like cruelty. when you kill innocents or go out of your way to hurt someone, that's when she hits affection loss. She's a naive bleeding heart and she can be rather frustrating at times.

There's a lot of bounty heads that when you corner them, they tell you their sob story, or ask you to let their families or their soldiers or somebody else go because they have cancer or sixteen children waiting for them at home. When these guys start pumping you for sympathy, that's typically when Mako's eyes get as big dinner plates and the waterworks start.

Unfortunately, because Mako is your first companion, she's kind of a pain in the butt to affection farm anyways because she only gets 15 a tick. going out of your way to please her, especially if you're going dark side, is really going to harsh your buzz.

The best way to farm Mako is technology gifts- followed by trophies and underworld goods. Pick up a crew skill that farms companion gifts and just spoil her.

Keep in mind that courting gifts and flirting do not work until the companion establishes romantic interest in you. You have to get to a specific affection break and have the conversation where they come on to you before you can start piling on the flirt button and the courting gifts, so save all that stuff in the bank and then hold it until she makes her move.

your alignment does not affect whether or not Mako will romance you. She doesn't have an alignment-tuned romance option like some companions do.

Mako doesn't like cruelty. when you kill innocents or go out of your way to hurt someone, that's when she hits affection loss. She's a naive bleeding heart and she can be rather frustrating at times.

There's a lot of bounty heads that when you corner them, they tell you their sob story, or ask you to let their families or their soldiers or somebody else go because they have cancer or sixteen children waiting for them at home. When these guys start pumping you for sympathy, that's typically when Mako's eyes get as big dinner plates and the waterworks start.

Unfortunately, because Mako is your first companion, she's kind of a pain in the butt to affection farm anyways because she only gets 15 a tick. going out of your way to please her, especially if you're going dark side, is really going to harsh your buzz.

The best way to farm Mako is technology gifts- followed by trophies and underworld goods. Pick up a crew skill that farms companion gifts and just spoil her.

Keep in mind that courting gifts and flirting do not work until the companion establishes romantic interest in you. You have to get to a specific affection break and have the conversation where they come on to you before you can start piling on the flirt button and the courting gifts, so save all that stuff in the bank and then hold it until she makes her move.

Oh that's good to know, i was a afraid to hit the Dark side options incase it makes her lose interest in me,.

So when you say my alignment doesn't affect whether she will romance me, i can chose dark side options and i wont lose any affection or??

Also, is there any gear for being neutral? I want to stay around the middle, or slightly int he light side, so is there any gear for that? I want to be around the middle because that's where i think Bounty Hunters should be.

Even if i mess up my affection with her, i can just grind it up with gifts?

So when you say my alignment doesn't affect whether she will romance me, i can chose dark side options and i wont lose any affection or??

Even if i mess up my affection with her, i can just grind it up with gifts?

You will lose affection for choosing dialogue options and actions that Mako does not like. Read her codex entry - it tells you what types of attitudes and actions she likes and dislikes. If your character won't be swayed to make certain decisions because of Mako's opinion, then, yes, you'll want to use companion gifts to push her affection points back up.

When it comes to killing people, context matters. In most cases, if you're fulfilling a contract, she won't have an issue; if, however, the contract is the result of someone else being an *** or an idiot (there are a couple on Balmorra that I can recall right now that fit this), then she might disagree with your decision to kill the bounty rather than let them live. She especially will disagree with any collateral damage you choose to cause that doesn't factor into your contract, and really is just about your character acting like a sadistic dick.

As for neutral gear: It does not currently exist in-game, but is planned for the future.

Edited by psychogobstopper

You will lose affection for choosing dialogue options and actions that Mako does not like. Read her codex entry - it tells you what types of attitudes and actions she likes and dislikes. If your character won't be swayed to make certain decisions because of Mako's opinion, then, yes, you'll want to use companion gifts to push her affection points back up.

When it comes to killing people, context matters. In most cases, if you're fulfilling a contract, she won't have an issue; if, however, the contract is the result of someone else being an *** or an idiot (there are a couple on Balmorra that I can recall right now that fit this), then she might disagree with your decision to kill the bounty rather than let them live. She especially will disagree with any collateral damage you choose to cause that doesn't factor into your contract, and really is just about your character acting like a sadistic dick.

As for neutral gear: It does not currently exist in-game, but is planned for the future.

Oh, so it's fine to kill them if they deserve it? It's going to bug me when it comes to killing some one going to be like "Argghh will she hate me? :(", or does she express her view before you choose?

Mako doesn't like it when there is a better options. I know of two accounts that I killed someone and got postive points with her but and one was a light sided choice. I know killing is light side right. Anyways to win her affection just you must no to cruel. If there are innocent people don't kill them, even though most of the time it will give you light side points. I personally take the -30 hit and give her a gift. So it evens out.

Also if you end up taking a big rep hit with her, you can always hit 'esc', and start the conversation over, as long as you don't let the scene end. Just restart the conversation, and space bar through until you get to your choices.

LMAO!!! ..dude ..u could be a writer of steamy romance novels!!

There is a much simpler, if not more time consuming option. When you get to a conversation for which you want to choose the dark side option, simply hit Escape to exit the conversation and swap out Mako for Skadge (if you have him) or Gault before starting the conversation again. Skadge will nab you 100+ affection for darkside choices so it doubles as a good way to gain affection with him since he doesn't really respond well to any of the gifts.

Just fine someone who has lots of Companion gifts, and give Mako

1) Technology ~ +106 affection

2) Underworld Goods ~ +96 affection

3) Cultural Artifact ~ +56 affection

4) Trophy ~ +26 affection

Those are your four best options in that order. I got a Rank 4 Artifact level technology gift and gave it to Mako and get +422 affection. But that list should help you out plenty.

Good luck!

Edited by Srozziks

I like how she is a credit hound. Ask for payment and just watch her swoon at you and affection raising. She does prefer not to kill (some) people, and as I play my BH as a 'don't break my work to my employer (except if they are Sith and I can make them kill each others)' we've already had a few spats.

I like letting her be my moral compass. Right at the start, for example, we can kill the scientist to get the bounty, but Mako does her big kitten eyes and I melt. But in Balmorra we were sent to infect droids and kill the slicer, and Mako tried the big kitten eyes so I'd let the slicer go, but no go, I shot the hacker.

Trouble with Mako is that she is still too entrenched in the romantic side of Bounty Hunting, and does not see contracts as real people (she never argues when we take the contract to kill people), but when faced with begging she melts and wants to let them escape.

If you *really* want to raise her affection you can either press escape and grind affection with her by taking the choices she likes, or buy her gifts. If you're her lapdog then the first option is good, otherwise play the story as you see fitting and soothe her with lots of gifts until you get some jailbait poon.

Mako is not against killing, she is against needless killing. Cruel or ruthless options will typically lose some affection with her, though frequently if the killing is either mitigated by professional demands or makes you good money (or the target is a bad man) she will only lose 1 affection.

She likes most choices that involve money, and she is kinda selfish in that she wants you to agree to whatever her ideas are.

She actually does approve of outright killing sometimes, even when it's a darkside choice, if the person you're killing is a really bad man or has screwed with you enough. I've had a few cases of her approving of darkside choices.

Raising her affection is done like so:

- Neutral choices (meaning no alignment change), just go along with her unless the story implications irk you. Don't even sweat it if you lose a little affection here and there. Some quests that involve her will easily let you rack up 100-200 affection.

- Tech gifts. Give her holos from the vendor for 200 creds apiece, this nets 98 affection at first, then 48 when her affection gets higher. When it goes below 48 you may switch to hutt data items at 600 creds, but you can also search the GTN to find deals on gifts. Frequently diplomats are farming skill and selling the surplus below what it's really worth just to empty bags so check in often, good blue or purple gifts net you a good deal of affection.

There is at least one situation where choosing the Dark Side options actually gets you Mako brownie points...

When you're working with Baron Girard on Alderaan, and he sends you to some other noble to pick up some reports... This petty noble totally looks down his nose at you, and tells you you're not fit to be within ten feet of him, so he won't give you the reports unless you earn the right to be in the same room with him by reporting to his secretary for some chore assignments. You can choose to bypass all that by punching him. He calls his guards, and after you've dispatched them the snooty noble is still giving you lip (He called my female BH a "leather-faced harpy," which I have to admit was an awesome slam on her). You can then choose to smack him around some more. Both of these "beat him up" options are Dark Side, and both also get you positive points with Mako.

Edited by nateslice