Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TrixxieTriss
07.12.2018 , 10:04 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
In the original bioware post about matchmaking Eric clarified that "Great question! A pre-made (in Unranked) can only have a max of 1 tank and 1 healer in their group." So, in theory, unless it bugged on the PTS, a group with 2 tanks and 2 healers should never be able to enter the regs queue. I read someone posted about some bugs with queuing a group for regs, but I think that was a problem where it acted like they were trying to queue for group ranked (which I guess you can't do unless you have 4 in the group?).

I guess you could get a mis-matched match if there was a premade with a tank & healer, and that was the only tank or healer in the queue. Then they would both end up on the same team (because Eric also clarified that they will not split up groups).
Its possible he meant per premade. There can be 2 premades in an 8 man side. That could be one reason for the 2 healers and tanks,

It would be good to get a Bioware clarification on this because even 2 healers is too much most of the time and if you give them a tank each, then it’s not that different to having 3 healers, which is cancer.

On SF yesterday, there was a 4 man healer premade every match and it was boring cause there were always 2-3 healers on the other team too, as well as tanks. The whole thing turned into dummy parsing and the only people that died were people I could seperate from the herd and kill them like a lion would.

I really hope matches will be limited to one healer per side. You could even have 2 tanks then and it not be that bad.

merovejec
07.14.2018 , 09:27 AM | #22
Well got a Voidstar which was again a Stale Mate as before with multiple healers on both sides.

Got an Arena with 3d 1h against 2h 2d, just like typical regs

It feels as if there is no new matchmaking, still many healers and many tanks on both sides.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68130

TrixxieTriss
07.14.2018 , 11:05 AM | #23
3-4 healers per team??

What happened to 1 healer 1 tank per team? Every match has been a parsing exercise and it’s boring. Whoever caps first wins and that’s it for the whole match, you may as well leave because you know whose going to win or it’s a stalemate.

8 objective matches, not one had less than 5 healers and some had 7 healers.

This isn’t match making and it’s clearly broken if we are only supposed to have 1 healer and 1 tank per team,

I’ve got plenty of screen shots if you need them

Also had one arena with 2 healers on one team and one on the other. No tanks on either side.
There was also no match making based on gear.

Team 1:
2 sins (248 gear)
1 Sorc healer (248 gear)
1 Merc (248 gear)
(All had 236-240 Augments)

Team 2:
1 Jugg (245 gear)
1 Op healer (238 gear)
1 Sage healer (231 gear)
1 Merc (244 gear)
(No one had all 236 augs, they were mostly 228)

Edit: if you look at Eric’s below post and compare it to what I experienced above, you can see this isn’t working as well when you consider the gear lvls of both teams.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

In 5.9.2 we are making optimizations in how we use this information along with things like role, spec, gear, and more to try to create the most balanced teams we can.

-eric

LD_Little_Dragon
07.14.2018 , 12:26 PM | #24
I really liked the idea of limiting the warzones to a maximum of 2 healers and 2 tanks per side- that's how I thought matchmaking was supposed to be when I read the patch notes, but it's still not working. I kept getting into matches where I was the 3rd or 4th heal on a team. The matches were balanced yes, but 4 h on each side is very boring to me.

If this is bugged, please fix it.

If this is intended, then please change it. I don't want faster pops, I want proper games where I don't have to play node guard on my heals because it's better than boring number-farming stalemates in mid where my healer just ends up damage dealing in a futile attempt to actually do something.

Cross-faction is working fine, but matchmaking needs more than just evenly distributing (way too many) heals and tanks between the teams to make the games fun for anyone but the number-farmers.

Seireeni
07.14.2018 , 12:44 PM | #25
Greetings from the playtest, here's my feelings on the changes!

- I think the matchmaking when it comes to skill level is either working, or the people in the PTS are all very close to each other's skill levels. I had matches where it was clear we would lose or win, but I didn't have any where we (or the enemy team) got farmed. Closest thing we had was some huttball matches, and that was usually because the enemy team had some strong dps who were...deathmatching I guess? No idea where they were, not anywhere near the ball.
- 2 healers per team, though... Not working. I was in that match Merovejec linked, and it really was a parsing practice, and it was not the only one of those I had.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Banderal
07.14.2018 , 01:48 PM | #26
Ditto what others have said about getting too many healers. I don't know how to tell who is a healer and who is a tank in 8s except to look at their numbers at the end (or if I happen to know the toon name and that they heal). Judging from the numbers shown on the screens I took after each game, I see 3 healers each side in almost all 8s matches, sometimes 4. I had one arena that started with 1 heal/3DPS each side, but then one DPS quit and they got a heal backfill. The other two arenas I had there were 2 healers and 2 DPS each side from the beginning.

There were ALWAYS an equal (or just 1 different) number of healers. Just too many.

Judging by protection numbers, and what I can put up myself using taunts and "off guards" on my DPS sin - so disregarding other toons with similar numbers - tanks were I guess almost non-existent in my matches. There were absolutely none in any arenas I had. In 8s, I see only two total (one each in two different matches) that look like they were probably actually tanks.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Jerba
07.14.2018 , 07:51 PM | #27
Regarding matchmaking, I echo my earlier statement that the cross-faction queues are superb. This makes for much more balanced teams. For example, when there is a really annoying player on the enemy team, usually I don't look forward to seeing him again in following matches. But with cross-faction queues, he may end up being on my team for the next match, which leads an overall less hostile and less toxic PvP experience. So please leave the cross-faction queues in, they're great.

Some of the voice-over are weird now, e.g. in Voidstar where they still talk about Republic and Empire. I suppose you don't have the resources to record new voicelines. So it is a little immersion-breaking, but I wouldn't give up cross-faction for that.

One major bug: Please fix the class icons for Inquisitors/Consulars. This is a really long-standing bug, and while I have come to live with it on the live servers, it is unbearable with cross-faction queues. During PvP, I rarely have time to figure out the icon, I only pay attention to the color.
Having Sages and Assassins light blue, and Sorcerers and Shadows dark blue makes no sense. Please ensure that each two mirror classes have the same color.

I still don't understand how the other matchmaking change (restricting the number of healers in PvP) is supposed to work. There were still matches with 3-4 healers on one team.
I assume that too many healers are in queue compared to DPS. I'm not 100% sure what the correct solution is, but I am leaning more on the side of not putting more than 2 healers in a match. If there are too many healers online, and healers end up having a longer queue time than DPS, I am thinking that some healers will switch to DPS and the problem will sort itself out naturally. Otherwise, healers will just continue queueing as healers and it makes the experience worse for everyone.

We did have one grouping issue in an arena. This was after the playtesting session, when there were very few players left. I ended up leaving the match and then rejoining again. As you can see in the screenshot, Ingracious and me were on the same team, yet on the scoreboard we are in different teams.
I'm not sure if this is a PTS bug or if this exists on live as well, but please fix it.
Scoundrel healer. Raid leader. Guild officer @ Tulak Hord

Seterade
07.14.2018 , 09:43 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Is there stealth matchmaking? ie, a bunch of stealth on a team vs 1 stealth on the other team? Wouldn’t it be better to split the stealth up to balance both sides.
stealth is not a class role, it is a desperation cooldown, which is one of the easiest counterable in the game.

compare "stealth being broken .5 seconds after activation" to merc kolto, juggernaught enrage defence, sorc bubble and marauder blood ward saber ward

you might be able to build a case that 1. stealth played well and not found is the strongest... but the fact that its easily countered by good players kinda negates this, or 2) multiple stealth open up gang node grab... but the reality is if 5 players zerg one node from underneath no call is going to save your 4 sec global and node steal.

like a snipers nostun/interupt cover, stealth classes bring a utility no one else can.. but its hardly worth limiting

lastly, if stealth limiting became a thing alongside matchmaking and you got the sin tank and op hlr, rip your team. there goes your 2 stealth slots.

TrixxieTriss
07.15.2018 , 12:46 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
If they are going to go that far, they should almost do it by spec.
This should already be happening

In 5.9.2 we are making optimizations in how we use this information along with things like role, spec, gear, and more to try to create the most balanced teams we can.

-eric

TrixxieTriss
08.30.2018 , 10:31 PM | #30
Hey folks,

Please use this thread to post your feedback on the 5.9.2 Matchmaking Changes. A few reminders:
  • Our goals are to shorten the WZ and GSF queues while also ensuring matches are more fair in all modes.
  • Please try to reserve your feedback until after you have played the changes on PTS.
  • Make sure to include as many specifics as possible that are relevant to your feedback.
  • If your feedback is about a bug, please use the PTS bug report forum. This thread is aimed solely at feedback.
You can find a full list of the changes, here:
Spoiler

-eric
Matchmaking isn’t working as stated.
Please fix.
The end.