EA / Bioware, please advertise this game

TrixxieTriss

I was pursuing reddit and came across the old WoW TV advertising in one YouTube. Which was great with Mr T, William Shattner, Ozzie, etc.

Then even better, at the end there was a link to a YouTube compilation of Star Wars TV advertising around the Force Awaken release.

There are ads from Walmart, Duracell and even EA BattleFront. They were awesome to watch and brought back fond memories and made me laugh so hard I had tears.

I know the budget is tight and this is an older game, but how about some TV advertising or a YouTube / Facebook / social media campaign for Star Wars : The Old Republic.

Just the feelings you get from seeing a Star Wars ad makes you want to go do something Star Wars. It’s even better if you are inspired to come play the game. ie, have a look at the old WoW TV ads and the actors linked to their in game characters or the BattleFront ads and people zoning into the game from their real life.

Please guys, it’s a long shot I know, but plead or beg EA to do some real advertising for this game so more people come and play. Now is the perfect time with the xpansion coming.

Does no one look at the livestreams on twitch, the blogs on this site and the official SWTOR twitter feed?

Those are used primarily to showcase the game regardless how it looks and operates at that moment to advertise this game. you either aren't looking where you should be looking or you have ignored it on purpose when you shouldn't have.

Does no one look at the livestreams on twitch, the blogs on this site and the official SWTOR twitter feed?

No.

And even if they do, they are already fans and playing the game. Advertising is about getting new people to play or bring people back who have lost contact with the game

Those are used primarily to showcase the game regardless how it looks and operates at that moment to advertise this game. you either aren't looking where you should be looking or you have ignored it on purpose when you shouldn't have.

Rarely, and the people that probably do already know about SWTOR and their questionable decisions over the years. This game's reputation has been tarnished almost from day one. That's probably the last place you would want to advertise exclusively. When I'm watching TV and see a WoW commercial or any other type of game, it gets me interested. I highly doubt advertising on television is in their budget, but the old adage applies here, you have to spend money to make money.

With as big as Star Wars has been over the last few years, there's no reason this game shouldn't be flourishing. The fact we're down to a handful of servers speaks volumes. And before someone chimes in with, we have mega servers, it's not hard to check the population of planets while in game. I've been here since launch, and I've watched servers not only be consolidated, but populations dwindle.

Advertising this game in multiple markets would go a long way in rejuvenating it.

This game's reputation has been tarnished almost from day one.

Pfft. If you want to see a game with a tarnished reputation, try Allods Online, better (although inaccurately) known as the game that required a cash shop purchase to fix death penalty. The decision to include that was, in fact, reversed during the pre-release beta testing, but the smell stuck. It's also known for a fairly aggressive pay-to-win nature, mitigated only by the ability to exchange your in-game currency for cash shop tokens.

Pfft. If you want to see a game with a tarnished reputation, try Allods Online, better (although inaccurately) known as the game that required a cash shop purchase to fix death penalty. The decision to include that was, in fact, reversed during the pre-release beta testing, but the smell stuck. It's also known for a fairly aggressive pay-to-win nature, mitigated only by the ability to exchange your in-game currency for cash shop tokens.

Funny you mention that, I almost tried that game awhile back, but I read it was in fact pay to win. I had no idea about the death penalty purchase. True genius if you want your game to fail. At least they reversed it.

I am not sure but this game is having lot of new players lately. But several factors intimidated most of them to go away.

I do agree advertisement is necessary. If bad games gets sold due to good pr and marketing, then this game is a gem mine regardless of devs or EA's standpoint.

Edited by Ayushman

Good advertising is always GOOD for business.

IMO this game while it has yet to reach its full potential .. is good for players of all ages. I'm sure that those of you who are younger like it quite well. Heck even some of us who are ... umm

"over the hill " ...

through the woods ...

and out on the other side !!! STILL have a lot of fun.

With this latest XP boost thing ... I tried something. Yes.. it was a science experiment !!!

And it WORKED !! I'll post a little something about it later.

Even the advertising they did for SoR was leagues ahead and that only consisted on ingame captured footage of gameplay :D My friend who played heavy for 5 years had no idea that there was an expansion coming out but shared the exact same pessimism about how it'll turn out based on the past handling.

MMOs have plateaued. Multimillion dollar advertisements for television (a format that's been declining) may cost far more than they're worth at this point and even tossing a couple million at a blur for social media (Youtube, Twitter, Insta etc) may not be in their best interest as of right now but I'd certainly welcome one. Onderon and Dxun are huge to the TOR universe but SoR did have Yavin and look at how that was advertised..

Advertisement is expensive. Especially TV ads.

At best they will get internet banner advertisement. Actually, i expect that as it's the best cost to return option.

You know as best as all of us that EA is not exactly at the helm of this project anymore. Otherwise it would've been at E3 with a CG trailer.

TV ads could only come if they were investing big time on the project, making expansions the size of the other mmo's. It's not the case, so lets not blow expectations out of proportion. Onslaught is the project that can bring growth back. With growth back then further investment is more logical.

Edited by Nemmar

But let's also be realistic, Onslaught will not be the revolutionary thing that turns SWtOR around. A few hours after content is released it will be swallowed up faster than a hungry fat man at a buffet and we'll be back to twiddling our thumbs complaining this game is dead. I want this game to be successful but the facts are it's a small developer team with an even smaller budget. Millions were already poured into it and it's at the stage where minimal effort for maximum results outweighs any huge dreams of content. Devotion is fine however even at the brink of a new expansion this game is still best when played in spurts.

Rarely, and the people that probably do already know about SWTOR and their questionable decisions over the years. This game's reputation has been tarnished almost from day one. That's probably the last place you would want to advertise exclusively. When I'm watching TV and see a WoW commercial or any other type of game, it gets me interested. I highly doubt advertising on television is in their budget, but the old adage applies here, you have to spend money to make money.

With as big as Star Wars has been over the last few years, there's no reason this game shouldn't be flourishing. The fact we're down to a handful of servers speaks volumes. And before someone chimes in with, we have mega servers, it's not hard to check the population of planets while in game. I've been here since launch, and I've watched servers not only be consolidated, but populations dwindle.

Advertising this game in multiple markets would go a long way in rejuvenating it.

I agree.

Expensive... yes. Unquestionably.

It all just depends on what EA's goal is for the game !!

A LOT of us are hoping for a brighter future in game ... !!

It all just depends on what EA's goal is for the game !!

The cynic in me says it's goal is $$$$. But... as the previous poster said you have to spend money to make money and EA isn't doing that, not through advertisement and not through investment in the game. Or another cynical answer would be to milk the few of us left, but wouldn't that be cutting off their nose despite their face? So that leads me to think they're shoestringing the budget (and us) for this game solely to keep the Star Wars license. Not necessarily to make great Star Wars games, but so other developers CAN'T.

I'll give you a sports analogy. Some teams would hoard all the best players, whether they have room to play them all or not, just so other teams can't have them. To deprive the competition. Think about it. If other developers could do a better job, and they most certainly could, they'd have another, or more, direct competitors.

Edited by kodrac

The cynic in me says it's goal is $$$$. But... as the previous poster said you have to spend money to make money and EA isn't doing that, not through advertisement and not through investment in the game. Or another cynical answer would be to milk the few of us left, but wouldn't that be cutting off their nose despite their face? So that leads me to think they're shoestringing the budget (and us) for this game solely to keep the Star Wars license. Not necessarily to make great Star Wars games, but so other developers CAN'T.

I'll give you a sports analogy. Some teams would hoard all the best players, whether they have room to play them all or not, just so other teams can't have them. To deprive the competition. Think about it. If other developers could do a better job, and they most certainly could, they'd have another, or more, direct competitors.

This or it can be chalked up as simple mismanagement. It could be a combination of multiple things in reality but I do believe mismanagement has played the biggest part in the underachieving of SWTOR over the years.

And bad advertising is often BAD for business. Gillette being a case in point - $8 billion write down after their "woke" adds.

I almost forgot about those !!

You're soooo right !!

Just because you spent a bundle ... doesn't mean you can expect the returns to follow !!

Up Spook Hill?

(Ref: Bears in the Night by Stan and Jan Berenstain, a favourite book of my brother when he was five or six and I was around sixteen.)

[/chuckles lightly]

Actually it's from the old saying " you're over the hill " (over age 40 )

At my age... I'm more like " Over the hill ... through the woods .. and out on the other side ... " WAAAAAAAY past 40 !!

:D

[/chuckles lightly]

Actually it's from the old saying " you're over the hill " (over age 40 )

At my age... I'm more like " Over the hill ... through the woods .. and out on the other side ... " WAAAAAAAY past 40 !!

:D

You're never too old, they say life begins at 40, so no matter what happens, you'll never go past 40, you just don't have to tell anyone which 40 you are heading for ;)

You're never too old, they say life begins at 40, so no matter what happens, you'll never go past 40, you just don't have to tell anyone which 40 you are heading for ;)

Reading this almost made me laugh so hard that what I was eating almost shot up through my nose !!!

Where on earth is that ROFL animated emote when you need it !!

Nice one !!