Mirror Legacy Ability Swap

CDWthoon

I've got an idea that I had been thinking of for quite a while.

That would be the implementation of an addition to the legacy system where you could have the option to substitute an ability such as Flame Thrower (Bounty Hunter) for Pulse Cannon (Republic Trooper). Providing a requirement of advancement (Chapters 2-3) for both of the counterpart classes and overall legacy level in order to do this (Maybe just a Cartel Coin purchase?), there could be the opportunity to replace an ability for it's counterpart.

This could even be possible through alignment. Wouldn't a Jedi who has decided to follow a dark path of merciless cruelty be likely to Force Choke the life out of his enemies? Certain abilities could be understandably used by both factions, regardless of the possible alignment exchange between Jedi/Sith mirrors and that's why, if this option were implemented in the future, it would likely offer a bit of variety.

-Perhaps replacing Master Strike with Ravage?

-*Flame Sweep replacing Explosive Surge?

-Sundering Strike replacing Sundering Assault?

-Maybe even the various stances of two mirror Jedi/Sith could be interchanged (Alignment)?

I primarily play a Vanguard, so an option like this would personally enhance the experience, because in my opinion some visuals could be better in comparison or may just properly fit a particular character. I'm sure there are various possibilities for neutral ability substitutes where the other classes are concerned, and hope this can be taken into consideration.

Edited by CDWthoon

I'm sorry but I'm going to say no to this. This is akin to faction defection which the devs have stated are difficult because of quest flags and companions. In regards to mirror classes it wouldn't be viable because there is specific animations for each class regardless if its a mirror or not.

Therefore until the devs find a way to do faction defection without upsetting the balance of the game this won't be a possibility.

I was thinking that something similar would be cool. But I thought about it as an "archetype" thing. In character creation, there would be another choice besides a class - an archetype. For a trooper, you could choose if you'd be a classic trooper archetype with blaster rifle or assault cannon, or a pistol/dual pistol trooper. This would affect all stances, skills inclutinf names and animations.

Of course, it might be questionable because of all the lightning bursting Jedi Consulars, but I would love my Guardian even more with the Imperial animations, not to mention that I dream of my smuggler and bounty hunter using a rifle.

I was thinking that something similar would be cool. But I thought about it as an "archetype" thing. In character creation, there would be another choice besides a class - an archetype. For a trooper, you could choose if you'd be a classic trooper archetype with blaster rifle or assault cannon, or a pistol/dual pistol trooper. This would affect all stances, skills inclutinf names and animations.

Of course, it might be questionable because of all the lightning bursting Jedi Consulars, but I would love my Guardian even more with the Imperial animations, not to mention that I dream of my smuggler and bounty hunter using a rifle.

Fully agree.

I'm sorry but I'm going to say no to this. This is akin to faction defection which the devs have stated are difficult because of quest flags and companions. In regards to mirror classes it wouldn't be viable because there is specific animations for each class regardless if its a mirror or not.

Therefore until the devs find a way to do faction defection without upsetting the balance of the game this won't be a possibility.

it won't affect companions... or quests, don't know why you think it would.

to the op +1

I'd love to shoot with lightening on my shadow.

I'd argue for a "all or nothing" swap because I'd assume that would be easier to program.

one problem would most probably be that the game would need to know witch ability's you hat purchased or you would have to buy them from your trainer all over again (could be regarded as the additional credit fee of course)

also i don't want to imagine how many bugs it could spawn.

so it's a nice to have, but i wouldn't want to break something by implementing it.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

I don't see how it'd be problem in pve. The effect shouldn't be aloud pvp though because you're supposed to be aware of the moves they use so you can counter them but if ou don't know their for animation it'll put peoe at a disadvantage. Also would get confusing. I don't see a problem in solo or pve content though.

I didn't think of it coming into affect from the roots but that's a great idea. There'd be much more of an individual touch, that way. Honestly, it wouldn't be too confusing in MY opinion considering we're pitted against our own faction anyways. However, with the Archetype, I believe it would overstep the bounds of alignment when it comes to the sith/jedi. I could see a Consular who is dark aligned and very corrupt losing his temperament and assaulting his opponents with Force Lightning, but if it were to start at Level 1 on Tython it'd just seem wrong.

Edited by CDWthoon

I have always thought this should have been in game as a legacy perk since release.

I also have no doubt in my mind we will see this in the future, Sadly I also see it having nothing to do with legacy. And instead be tied into the CM, maybe even something like a certificate that would drop from the cartel packs. The certificate would unlock a certain ability. So in Cartel Pack (A) it might have a chance for a certificate to unlock around 2-4 different abilities, say force lightning / tele thrower, flame thrower / pulse cannon etc.

Then in Cartel Pack (B) they would add a few more unlocks, Cartel Pack © a few more etc.

I can even see this for weapon unlocks, it's not like it would be ground breaking. Many NPC out in the game world already have this ability,