Am I ready for HM Operations?

I have some questions for you Progression Operation healers out there.

I have mained a Sage/Sorc playing all 3 disciplines for the last year, up until the last three months my play time has consisted of 100% PVP, I healed countless Wz's and a number of Solo ranked arenas and few handfuls of games in Group ranked, have had a lot of success at that and managed to make the Gold Tier rating in season 4. I am quite experienced healing in PVP, but my PVE healing has been limited to the last three months of healing group finder Flashpoints and pug SM operations.

I am looking to try and find a guild on my server in which to join a Progression HM group but don't know if I am ready for it. I mean I know I am pretty good healer but I have no idea how hard the current tier of OPS is at the HM level because I have not been lucky enough to get into one yet. I have been through SM Ravagers and TOS a number of times now, most of those matches play out with the party being overhealed if paired with a good healer, everybody stays topped off if everybody follows the mechanics correctly, even when they don't we managed to keep most of the party alive, so I don't feel like SM is not much of a test of my healing capabilities simple because, most often there is not enough damage going out to the Ops group to get a good feeling of my healing output or to get a good parse.

So my questions are for current Progression HM healers.

1. How much HPS should I be doing for my Gear level?

I am in full Resurrected minus

(A) 1 relic- Currently wearing a 186 Serendipitous Assault

(B) Missing 1 armoring for my 6 piece set bonus

© Missing 3 Resurrected Mods, with 3 198 Comm gear Mods in their place.

My Stats are as follows

4143 Willpower

1754 Power

27.66 Crit Chance

68.1 Crit Multiplier

10.84% Alacrity

2. How much HPS should I be able to put out to effectively heal HM Ops?

3. Is there an effective way to get a good parse of my healing output without going into HM Ops?

4. What else can I do to better prepare myself for HM's?

5. How can I get into a progression group?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Canuckswin

1. How much HPS should I be doing for my Gear level?

Easily between 3000 and 4500 EHPS. Depending on the fight and the skill of your other healer you'll probably average 3500-3750 if the fight allows for that much damage to go out.

2. How much HPS should I be able to put out to effectively heal HM Ops?

(see above :p)

3. Is there an effective way to get a good parse of my healing output without going into HM Ops?

Underlurker provides a good challenge, especially if theres melee. Other than that start at HM SnV / TFB and then do HM DF / DP, then just work your way up. I guess the ziost operations boss is a good challenge and the walker on yavin as well.

4. What else can I do to better prepare myself for HM's?

Watch videos, read guides, roll with more experienced players and ask for advice or comments. Make sure that aside from the healing numbers required you also get positioning right, a good healing operations frame and knowing what abilities to use and when to use them. Make sure to always stim yourself, possibly carry healing adrenals.

5. How can I get into a progression group?

Several ways, look in the server forum for your server, keep your eyes out on fleet for recruitment, join guilds that are notorious on your server for prog runs.

as a side note you could probably stand to lose an alacrity piece (or crit) or two for more surge. (and im gonna assume that youre not using ephemeral mending as your second relic, its kinda horrible. Main stat + power relics are your friend)

Edited by Faardor

Hi, and welcome to the club :)

I'm on the other side of the wall cause i never really pvped, so i'm sorry if i state the obvious things. I healed all hm content there is now at least in 8m, and i have to say - it's not that difficult at all once the group knows the drill, so don't be too worried :)

1. Gear.

Most likely you already know this, but get 6 piece set bonus, it's an important thing cause it changes your rotation. Though i healed at least lurker in hm with a sorc with maybe 2 piece set bonus, and we were fine, so it shouldn't stop you from trying out hms :) other than that your gear is fine, i would get a bit less crit (~25-26%) and drop some alacrity for surge, but it's a matter of personal preference.

2. Parsing and HPS.

With your gear around 4.5-5k should be doable if we're speaking about hps and not ehps (counting bubbles absorb ofc, so it might be difficult to determine from parses, and if you just heal full-time and never offdps or run), which is more than enough for hm ops. If your group is doing it right, your sustained ehps should never even reach that numbers, burst periods are another story. Also honestly i'm a big hater of healing parsing, so use it, but don't relay on numbers too much. Your group is more or less alive, the boss is dead and the second healer is not screaming "it was the most difficult thing in my life" (or if it's cora or revan in hm even when he does) - then you're all right whatever your parse says :)

3. To prepare maybe try to soloheal storymodes, though if you're pugging it might be difficult to convince the group it's doable :) or - even better - try dp/df hm or nim, you will have to learn mechanics/ask for tactics, but raptus challenge is a great fun, and council is cool example of pve cleansing task. Keep in mind that lvl 55 ops are "nothing to do here - short healing burst - nothing to do again, zzzz" task for lvl 60 healer. Well, and just go and do hms, at least sparky, bulo and malaphar are nothing special in terms of mechanics, though even bulo can be made hard to heal in case tanks are failing barrels/cleaving each other. Be careful with hardmode monolith (ziost ops boss), it's more difficult than half of hm ravs/tos, so maybe better get your set bonus before trying that. Also you can underman storymode mono (do 16m instance with 8 people), it's more about pure hps than anything i can remember if people are doing a lot of mistakes :)

4. Look for recruitment as others had already said, also if in storymode/first bosses pug you meet someone who seem to be competent and friendly and got some nice achievements you can always ask him if they need a healer :) and when you wipe always ask why did it happen, and don't blame yourself for every death :p

Yes you should be good to start HM's. Success in PVP healing should carry over (not fully, but mostly). And you have the gear you're intended to start HM in (though that 6-set would be nice). You should get a 198 offhand (from comms) if you haven't already.

HPS targets can be misleading and can be fluffed. EHPS depends on the other healer(s) and on how much unnecessary damage the group takes. If you're healing a tough fight and failing, it can be useful to look at these, but you'll need to take account of force armor etc too.

16 man story mode ops won't tell you much about your healing. Try 8-man if possible. If a group lets you, try solo healing (8-man) easy fights or level 55 ops.

Sparing all that, if you don't yet have a group and just want to practice / see what you can do, try spamming HM Blood Hunt hoping to get bad groups and keep them alive while doing a bit of dps to help them meet the enrage.

HPS targets can be misleading and can be fluffed. EHPS depends on the other healer(s) and on how much unnecessary damage the group takes. If you're healing a tough fight and failing, it can be useful to look at these, but you'll need to take account of force armor etc too.

Starparse tracks Force Armor on anyone that is in the same raid group (in Starparse that is). Parsec had a formula for calculating the amount of shielding done by FA, but it just added that same value on every cast, so you could inflate these numbers with wasted FA's.