Companions and KotFE

Saemun

I'm a completionist. And I really like seeing my characters build. I'm not so fond of losing things permanently in MMOs. I really like my old companions. I really like the old stories. So, I'm really worried about approaching KotFE. Because I don't want to lose those stories/companions, and I want to make extra sure I complete absolutely EVERYTHING I can't do once I start KotFE. Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure what I'll lose once I start it. So, for weeks I've had a 65 that I won't start FE with, instead rushing around doing all the old content.

What exactly am I losing when I start FE? I know I'm losing the old main storyline. I know I'm losing companion side quests. I'm told I'm losing access to the main story in Revan, and everything after that--but I have no idea what content is after Revan but pre-FE.

But what about planetary story arcs? Are those still accessible after FE is started? What about miscellaneous planetary quests, and exploration quests? Right now, I know that my pre-FE companions will make occasional comments in conversations for planetary story arcs and give influence, and I thought they did that for regular miscellaneous quests, too. After I get my old companions back via the terminal in FE, will they still be able to talk/give influence on planetary story arcs? And on regular side quests? Will they comment on old content planets as we walk through areas, like they do pre-FE? And will giving them companion gifts still work? Will they be usable for crafting?

Hi there, I totally understand the feeling, especially when you've already become so invested in your companions and their story lines, the world as it is etc. In your Ship's mission tracker it recommends which story arcs to start before others, (I believe it said under Shadow of Revan that I may want to complete Rise of the Hutt Cartel and a few others). Personally, I would recommend completing your character class story at least and Shadow of Revan before beginning Knights of the Fallen Empire.

I've started Knights of the Fallen Empire and have had an absolute blast, I haven't felt like I've missed out on anything. I completed my class story, companion missions/sidequests for the ones I got along with (Vette, Jaesa, Quinn), Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Shadow of Revan, the Ziost coalition bit that followed that. When I write it out it sounds like a lot, but it really didn't take that long to go through the story arcs, the only really long one was the class story.

The new expansion is really fun if you loved the story driven atmosphere of the main story line (it's actually a lot more honed than the original) and how Bioware-ish Knights of the Old Republic was.

My two cents. I don't know if this helps, and since I can't reaaaallly be bothered to reread, I'm not sure if it makes sense either haha.

To the OP,

I understand your concerns. I was terrified about loosing my companions as well, but I think they've handled it very well. Here's what happens when you go and start KOTFE:

1. You are unable to access your former story class missions, but as you are level 65, I will assume that you have already completed those. You are also unable to do Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Forged Alliance, and Shadows of Revan. I believe you CAN do Planetary quests still, however, as those don't tie in directly to the character stories.

2. If you're level 65 then, with the latest update to the game, you should have full access to all of your companion's conversations and story lines, if you haven't completed those already. If you haven't go ahead and do those, as you can't finish them once you start KOTFE. Also when you begin KOTFE, you do loose your companions, but you can get them back over time. Having finished Chapter IX with each class, I can say with certainty that all the former romances are coming back, as well as most of the companions. You may have to wait a little while to get them, but you will get them eventually.

As far as the flashpoints go, I don't know about those. I only play the storylines, so anything other than that has very little interest for me. But I'm personally loving this expansion. It's so much fun and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. If you're really nervous, then you can make an Insta-60 and play through with that one to see if you want to go ahead and use your other characters.

1. You are unable to access your former story class missions, but as you are level 65, I will assume that you have already completed those. You are also unable to do Rise of the Hutt Cartel, Forged Alliance, and Shadows of Revan. I believe you CAN do Planetary quests still, however, as those don't tie in directly to the character stories.

You can do RotHC after starting KotFE, but not the FA/SoR/RotE series (roughly Manaan/Rishi+Yavin 4/Ziost).

I've finished the class storyline and all my companion storylines. I've completed Ilum, Makeb, Manann, Rishi, Yavin 4, and I'm most of the way through Ziost. I'll have Ziost/RotE finished before starting FE.

What I'm curious about are planetary quests in the vanilla game. Right now, having not yet started FE, I can go back to the old planets and run the planetary arcs/bonus series I haven't finished, with a companion. And I can do the regular one shot planetside quests and exploration quests. And in some my companion will comment. In most my companion will gain influence and approve/disapprove of dialogue choices.

Will they still approve/disapprove/talk in dialogues like this, if I go through FE, get the back, then use the terminal to take them out and run on old planets with them, like say Belsavis?

And will they still gain influence from companion gifts? Will they still be usable for crafting?

I've finished the class storyline and all my companion storylines. I've completed Ilum, Makeb, Manann, Rishi, Yavin 4, and I'm most of the way through Ziost. I'll have Ziost/RotE finished before starting FE.

What I'm curious about are planetary quests in the vanilla game. Right now, having not yet started FE, I can go back to the old planets and run the planetary arcs/bonus series I haven't finished, with a companion. And I can do the regular one shot planetside quests and exploration quests. And in some my companion will comment. In most my companion will gain influence and approve/disapprove of dialogue choices.

Will they still approve/disapprove/talk in dialogues like this, if I go through FE, get the back, then use the terminal to take them out and run on old planets with them, like say Belsavis?

And will they still gain influence from companion gifts? Will they still be usable for crafting?

Speculation. (I haven't used the terminal for my old companions.) Let's pick a different planet, and let's pick a specific class. Let's say you take an SI and go to Nar Shaddaa. In the classic story, Andronikos doesn't join you until Tatooine, so he naturally won't have anything to say aboout quests on Nar Shaddaa anyway - he never did before 4.0 came out because he wasn't supposed to be with you on Nar Shaddaa. Now you go to Hoth, later in the story, where you could have taken him in the normal story, following the story-line planet order. Here, the analysis becomes speculative.

There is evidence that a companion revived by the terminal is the original companion - in particular, someone said, ISTR, that they had reactivated companions with the terminal, and the reactivated companions were shown in their classic places on the character's personal ship. If that's the case, then they will function normally in pre-4.0 content, gaining much or little Influence from relevant conversations, commenting on places you go if you go to places normally found "after" their entry into your crew, etc.

As for gifts and crafting, again it is speculation, but they *are* companions, so in theory they should function normally, including keeping gained influence when the story lets them return.

Final part: what happens when a terminal-granted companion returns naturally in the KotFE story? Some companions return in the aftermath of Chapter IX, where the terminal is available, although I'm not sure of when exactly the terminal becomes active relative to the various recruitment alerts.

Agents and Bounty Hunters will know for sure in Chapter X, because we will see the first post-IX chapter with a natural companion return (i.e. the first chapter where a companion released by the terminal rejoins you as part of the story - In this sense, T7 and SCORPIO don't count, because they return before the terminal is available).

In fleet /General someone said that the terminal only allows the companion to be summoned for fighting and whatnot. They don't reappear on your ship. They won't craft, won't accept gifts, won't talk in old non-story content, won't approve/disapprove non-story side mission conversations they would have previously. They are reduced to just being a silent minion. Of course, it was just one person in passing in /General, and they didn't elaborate or say how they knew. So I can't tell how reliable the information is.

If I ask 10 people, I get 12 answers. Which is really very frustrating. It's very hard to find any actual information on this. Which only increases my reluctance to start FE.

Edited by Saemun

In fleet /General someone said that the terminal only allows the companion to be summoned for fighting and whatnot. They don't reappear on your ship. They won't craft, won't accept gifts, won't talk in old non-story content, won't approve/disapprove. They are reduced to just being a silent minion. Of course, it was just one person in passing in /General, and they didn't elaborate or say how they knew. So I can't tell how reliable the information is.

I will try an answer those questions for you in regards to unlocking a companion via the terminal based on what happened to me (I unlocked Corso via the terminal),

- They will speak to you when you right click on them if they're your active companion (with their usual lines nothing new) and if you're fighting with them they'll say their usual combat lines.

- They will accept gifts and gain influence from them.

- They will craft for you, they are in the crew skills panel.

- I don't know about approving/disproving someone else may be able to answer this.

- I don't know about whether they speak in old content like exploration missions cutscenes etc: I haven't gone back and done any with my unlocked companion out again someone else may be able to answer this.

- My companion I got back was on my ship and if you clicked him he just says his usual lines.

These are what I found when I unlocked Corso and I'm assuming it's the same for all unlocked companions but if not feel free to correct me anyone if it's different then what you experience when you got a companion back via the terminal :)

Edited by BlueShiftRecall